Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #9300
mlee
Charter Circle Member

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Oh Man... I can't believe we forgot to sing for you while you were here...

It was a crazy weekend...but lots of fun...
Attached Images

mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #9301
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Thanks Guys.

Well fed.
Home safe.
1,200 miles in a 5th Gen Vert.
New top courtesy of Chevrolet.

What was the bad thing?
Well the bad thing is I didn't have a top problem until I got back. and the wife was driving it with out any issues. now eating crow because I used my car as an example of one that doesn't have the rub marks. other then that I'm in good spirits. if they fix it great. if I keep having issues. can someone say lemon law and 1LE on order?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #9302
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Gee, if you moved to metric Canada, that would be 60...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Ok.... so I was wrong
The good news is you have used up your wrong quota for the year so from here on out you'll be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Well the bad thing is I didn't have a top problem until I got back. and the wife was driving it with out any issues. now eating crow because I used my car as an example of one that doesn't have the rub marks. other then that I'm in good spirits. if they fix it great. if I keep having issues. can someone say lemon law and 1LE on order?
Eating Crow with the Wife = WELL FED

I can see you now with long wires jumpered to the back of the top switch connections:

Eating breakfast with one hand, pressing the up or down button with the left.
During the day the retired guy from next door takes over.
Eating dinner with one hand, pressing the up or down button with the left.
In bed with the remote in one hand, pressing the up or down button with the other.

The things people will do for a 1LE
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #9303
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Well, happy belated Birthday Pete!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #9304
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Well, happy belated Birthday Pete!
Nah, your early for next year
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #9305
garcmol

Quote:
I had a great birthday in the shop (ARD Houston Owen Priest) and my family along with Russ, Mike, Larry, more wives and kids tinkering with the Sonic. GM has the air box to MAF dialed in. No matter what we did with the 'CAI' configurations the same tune with the OE air box delivered better results.

The computer is easy to work with. We have some ideas for another run at a better flowing CAI. I have ordered spares. We use a manual boost control and get to 160 FWHP or more with we think with a couple of pounds of boost.

The intercooler performed well. Shop temp ranged from 89 to 96. Temps measured at the air intake to intercooler to plenum were within 8 degrees. At the end of the day we learned at least 2,967 ways not to make more power on a Sonic. ;-)
Have you thought of working an intercooler mist similar to the Subaru WRX? I'm not sure where the intercooler is on the Sonic. My Cruze is right at the lower grill opening. Don't know if mist would work for it. Is the ECM the same for the Cruze? Would like to know what you found about being "friendly".

And this is on topic. They're "Z's",
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #9306
JusticePete

Quote:
Have you thought of working an intercooler mist similar to the Subaru WRX? I'm not sure where the intercooler is on the Sonic. My Cruze is right at the lower grill opening. Don't know if mist would work for it. Is the ECM the same for the Cruze? Would like to know what you found about being "friendly".

And this is on topic. They're "Z's",
I'll have to check with Owen about the ECMs. The Sonic uses the same ECM as a HD Truck. With the OEM boost level the intercooler was working well. one fan had the boosted air in the plenum at 5 degrees above ambient.

The ECM interfaces well with the tuning software so we'll be able to adjust everything including the tranny shift points and how hard it shifts.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #9307
garcmol

Quote:
I'll have to check with Owen about the ECMs. The Sonic uses the same ECM as a HD Truck. With the OEM boost level the intercooler was working well. one fan had the boosted air in the plenum at 5 degrees above ambient.

The ECM interfaces well with the tuning software so we'll be able to adjust everything including the tranny shift points and how hard it shifts.
That's really what I want to look at on my Cruze. That seems to be the only lag is in shifting. You can feel boost spooling up in these cars, but the shifts are so sloppy (auto) it's like starting over again.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #9308
JusticePete

Quote:
That's really what I want to look at on my Cruze. That seems to be the only lag is in shifting. You can feel boost spooling up in these cars, but the shifts are so sloppy (auto) it's like starting over again.
When we get the Sonic sorted I think we'll have a Cruze and Sonic weekend at ARD!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #9309
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corv. Monza EFI, 2013 Sonic RS
The Sonic is a front mounted intercooler and the Cruze is sandwiched in but both use plastic connectors.

Laborsmith

Cruze intercooler sandwiched between the air conditioners and the radiators.

Last edited by laborsmith; 05-09-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #9310
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
The Sonic is a front mounted intercooler and the Cruze is sandwiched in but both use plastic connectors.

Laborsmith
Sandwiched? Between what?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #9311
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Might be needing mod ideas for this soon...

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #9312
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I was wondering how many miles per tank people have pushed it, my 01 statun has done over 600 on one tank of gas and has the same epa numbers as a v6 and the v6 camaro can carry 3 more gallons so I'm thinking that it can hit 650 if not better if on a steady cruise.
I've gotten almost 500 and I was really impressed with that. I don't think 650 is possible....

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #9313
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Might be needing mod ideas for this soon...

I got this Pete....

Need's lowering....

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #9314
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I got this Pete....

Need's lowering....

Fen, we have Xa coilovers for the Cruze which should be a bolt and go for the Verano.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #9315
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:

Fen, we have Xa coilovers for the Cruze which should be a bolt and go for the Verano.
Bolt and go.........................................I think you missed about 42 steps there Pete. LOL
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #9316
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Bolt and go.........................................I think you missed about 42 steps there Pete. LOL
Fen will be step one in the Pedders validation cycle These new small Chevrolets are easy to suspend. Increasing HP is like

The 1.4L Turbo loves the factory air box We tried I don't know how many tube configurations and we made the most power on the stock air box. By the end of the day we had cut up the OEM box so I drove home on the least lame CAI we constructed My replacement OEM air box cover and MAF came in this afternoon The ricer turbo sounds are now just a bad memory The tune is the best we could get from our least lame CAI With the OEM air box in place and the CAI tune the Sonic does a very light mouse like squeak from a standing start with 3 or four feet of a very light gray almost burnout Brake torque this beast to 2K and it is a short squeal It will be back on the dyno soon enough with a K&N filter in the OEM air box and 2 to 3 more pounds of boost. We should see more than 160 at the wheels easily, but I do believe I said that before The base line run was 125 FWHP. I left with one less pony than we started with I will be bringing the OEM air filter just in case the MAF won't play nice with the K&N We planned to install a catch can, but unless I can find a Chevy OEM catch can to try and keep the 1.4 happy

Fen -- let me know when you get your Verano. If the Cruze kit doesn't fit out of the box, it will when I am done with it.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014