Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #9402
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I'm going to be very curious how a non-biased track evaluation fairs for the ZL1.

Now if only we knew someone who could provide such a thing..... Maybe there is a company that could run both stock at a track or two and then Mod them when they realize both times could use lowering.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #9403
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I'm glad to see you are making progress on the new home front Scarrzz! Priorities first, get that hot tub done...

...a sale is a sale don't forget,, whether it went to the right person or not, profit keeps wind in the GM sail !
Yeah I guess, I just don't get it when someone is surprised by the obvious!?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #9404
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Hmmmmmm GT500 numbers coming in. Thoughts from The House?
$64,770. As tested OUCH!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #9405
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
^....yesireeee.....major OUCH.....
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #9406
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
$64,770. As tested OUCH!
Makes the ZL1 sound like a real bargain!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #9407
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
The good news is, there is still plenty of room for the rest !
Quote:
Nice to have extra space too.
I live with four women and have no concept of this thing you refer to as space :(

Quote:
My favorite is the guy that wants a larger trunk big enough for a holiday dinner for quite a number of guest. The even sadder point is that he bought the vert. Don't they always have small trunks?
Not really. A vert has to have a trunk large enough to fit the entire top of an automobile.

Quote:
I'm going to be very curious how a non-biased track evaluation fairs for the ZL1. I think it will win the day, but track times from magazines are like statistics....................you can make them say whatever you want.
Non-biased press is another concept that eludes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Now if only we knew someone who could provide such a thing..... Maybe there is a company that could run both stock at a track or two and then Mod them when they realize both times could use lowering.
Just ordered up a new The DL1 + VIDEO4 and need to test it out

Quote:
$64,770. As tested OUCH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Makes the ZL1 sound like a real bargain!
Clyde
The ZL1 stands on merit as a bargain. The GT500 is what it is, a monster motor in a dated chassis.

I am sure I ruffle some feathers when I say I have been driving the ZL1 since 2009 in various forms. Next week I'll log a little time in the LPE L/28 as we dial in the setup. For me, the L/28 is the ultimate Camaro and others will be able to build thier N/A 5th Gens for less because the 1LE is the bargain of the century for 5th Gen hot rodders. I am already looking forward to the SS and 6th Gen and will probably be playing with an ATS as soon as they become available. ATS, SS and then 6th Gen. You can see why my mind wanders from the present.

BTW, I spent this afternoon with a Petty / Arrington / Pedders Challenger with a fresh out of the wind tunnel Petty front spoiler and rear wing and 900 at the rear wheels it might be faster than the ZL1 and GT500, maybe

Who's house am I in I thought the owner would already have his tats I must be in the wrong house
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #9408
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Nothing better than a Chevy

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #9409
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
I am CLEARLY on record as calling it a "One-Trick Pony". Incredible straight-line power, as Pete sez, in an overtaxed chassis.

No 'Ring times given, after Ford folk currently visiting this site assured us they would be released at the press event in Atlanta. Slower "figure-8" times than the '11 version, which speaks to its (in)ability to "autocross", a word repeated in Ford's own material. And a 57/43 weight % is dizzying, to me...

1/4-mile? Congrats, Ford! The mandatory traction-aiding electronics were sorted in a manner superior to those on the ZL1, as confirmed by it's 0-60 times (and no shift required). From there, weight-to-power heavily favors the 5.77 Ford over the 23% less-endowed ZL1... Surprized? Not at all...

Road course/slalom/autocross? The '11 GT500 was slower than the '12 BOSS LS @ VIR under Lightning Lap circumstances. I don't envision "finesse" being the '13's forte. Brute force will likely have it slightly quicker, there, than the BOSS, but I firmly believe it will trail the ZL1...by seconds...not a few 1/10ths as per the strip...just like they found out at the 'Ring.

Streetable manners? No question, here, the ZL1's CadMaro influences will shine through.

Price, equally equipped? Advantage Camaro...by THOU$AND$...GG tax included.

Best Buy? Depends on which side of Metro Detroit your emotions take you...

One thing IS "for sure"...70+ pages and close to 2000 posts in the last month (Mega Thread) means a LOT of folks have an opinion to share...which bodes well for the Forum. Sequestering them into ONE thread saves the eye pollution of seeing umpteen references splashed throughout the site...

Sadly, there appears to be some ZL1 buyers now waffling, so the Ford folks can take some delight in causing some genuine concerns in the minds of some. After all, stirring the pot CAN lead to some "conquest sales"...their true mission, no doubt.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #9410
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I just think it's a lot of money. Why would you buy the new mustang and not take advantage of all the packages? All that power and they make the doo dads that are intended to make it better..... extra? Just don't get that.

For 64.8k I can get a Grand Sport 1LT with mag ride, AND get to assist a GM engine builder build my motor that will go into my car. How awesome would that be?

But I still look under my '91 RS B4C Camaro and see a straight axle. Here it is 2012 with 2013s coming out, I can look under there and see..... a straight axle.

I could get beat up for the above paragraph in some threads for pointing this out.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #9411
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Well Ford built an engine....

Then found it to run to hot.....

Limited revs above 6250 to 8sec.....

Still to hot.....

Removed parts from car.....

Will do 200mph.....

But No one who ever does will want to again.......

Ford built an engine.....

But still can't get past the axle from a tin lizzy.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #9412
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
I think one's interests and how one is going to use the car will really determine if the 2013 GT500 or the new ZL1 is the better vehicle for a given individual.

I think that the 2013 GT500 is mainly designed to maximize straight line performance at the expense of overall ride and some handling, whereas, the new ZL1 is designed to be an overall high performance vehicle which will provide excellent performance as a daily driver on public roads, or on a road course, or at the drag strip, and all without having to make any modifications from how the car is delivered from the factory. Will the new ZL1 be the fastest or best handling vehicle at each of those venues? No, but for the price of a new ZL1 it will be difficult to find another single vehicle that will be able to perform as well as the new ZL1 does at all of those venues.

I also just don't care for the styling of the current Mustang. I liked the styling of the 1964 1/2 thru 1966, and 1969 Mustangs, but I haven't really liked the styling of the Mustang over most of the other years. In general, for me the proportions of the Mustang look a little too narrow and too tall when compared to the Camaro.

The 2013 GT500 is a fine car, but I prefer the new ZL1 for many reasons such as styling, handling, and comfort, even if the new ZL1 is not as fast as the 2013 GT500 from 0-60 MPH or in the quarter mile, as I have never been one who is that interested in purely straight line performance.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #9413
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

For those that 3.8 and 11.9 is not fast enough 3.5 and 11.5 will not be enough either. So once you mod it which many will what does it matter?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #9414
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
For those that 3.8 and 11.9 is not fast enough 3.5 and 11.5 will not be enough either. So once you mod it which many will what does it matter?
Far too much rational thought here. Be careful it might spread to to the rest of the forum.

Well probably not but still rational is why we are here in The House.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #9415
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The Mustang can be tweaked to get around a road course with a number of braces and other suspension bits. I know that pony well and enjoyed riding it every time I turned the key. The 5th Gen is a different animal. No braces and a few suspension tweaks and she will whisper in your ear as you run through a turn. The Mustang is like slam bam thank you mam sex and the Camaro is long term love affair. They are different, yet the same.

On another note, I am watching my Dad slip away a little bit every day. Dad is still here, but I am now the head of the family. How does that happen? I was at the kid's table for the holidays just yesterday... damn, life goes by in a blink. Make sure you let those around you know how important they are to you and how much you love them every day. That is something my Mom and Dad taught me well. When I was growing up, we didn't have much, but I knew every day that my Mom, Dad, Grand Parents, Aunts and Uncles loved me. When my Kum (Godfather) passed away I was surprised I was asked to be a pall bearer. He was a highly respected man with many grand children and God children. 9 months later his son delivered a birthday card to me. He had written it in his last days. Why? Because I would stop by to visit. The visits were never long, but they were important. Mom and Dad have lived with us for the last 17 years. Mom passed away three years ago in February. Dad has been in rehab and long term care since this time last year.

It all comes down to being selfish. I don't want to see him him fade away. My family has had the gift of living with my parents, their grand parents. It has been a gift for all of us. I now have a job that I never wanted. Helping my Dad finish his journey. Each day we take a few more steps together. He is still my father. He is still teaching me. He handles it with more skill and grace than I do.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #9416
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Mustang can be tweaked to get around a road course with a number of braces and other suspension bits. I know that pony well and enjoyed riding it every time I turned the key. The 5th Gen is a different animal. No braces and a few suspension tweaks and she will whisper in your ear as you run through a turn. The Mustang is like slam bam thank you mam sex and the Camaro is long term love affair. They are different, yet the same.

On another note, I am watching my Dad slip away a little bit every day. Dad is still here, but I am now the head of the family. How does that happen? I was at the kid's table for the holidays just yesterday... damn, life goes by in a blink. Make sure you let those around you know how important they are to you and how much you love them every day. That is something my Mom and Dad taught me well. When I was growing up, we didn't have much, but I knew every day that my Mom, Dad, Grand Parents, Aunts and Uncles loved me. When my Kum (Godfather) passed away I was surprised I was asked to be a pall bearer. He was a highly respected man with many grand children and God children. 9 months later his son delivered a birthday card to me. He had written it in his last days. Why? Because I would stop by to visit. The visits were never long, but they were important. Mom and Dad have lived with us for the last 17 years. Mom passed away three years ago in February. Dad has been in rehab and long term care since this time last year.

It all comes down to being selfish. I don't want to see him him fade away. My family has had the gift of living with my parents, their grand parents. It has been a gift for all of us. I now have a job that I never wanted. Helping my Dad finish his journey. Each day we take a few more steps together. He is still my father. He is still teaching me. He handles it with more skill and grace than I do.
Sorry to hear that Pete. It is hard when you have looked up to someone your whole life and see their strength and stature go as you watch.

We will all think good thoughts for you.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #9417
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Quote:
Far too much rational thought here. Be careful it might spread to to the rest of the forum.

Well probably not but still rational is why we are here in The House.
I'll take the not fast enough 3.8/11.9 and wicked handling over.....that other option, thank you very much.

Quote:

Pete...I'm not going to say it will all work out, etc....it's going to be hard. I watched my Dad go through the same thing with his own father (my grandfather). Though their relationship was different from yours with your Dad....the effect, I think, was the same.

It was damn hard - I never want to see my father cry like that again...up until that time, I didn't think it was possible. But....in time, the wounds will heal....cherish and enjoy the time you have left with your Dad to the best of your ability. If he is at peace, then so should you be - I would go out on a limb and say that if I were your Dad (ha, right?!)...I'd be 100% confident in your ability to be the head of the family. I'll bet he feels the same way.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #9418
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:

Thanks for sharing Pete. My dad passed Oct 2009 (age 89). I was with him much of his last months. He started out in long term care that only lasted 5 months. Long term care and him didn't quite get along too well. Was not was so hard, because he was still "all there".... but, he wanted to leave and it was not possible and he was good about it. You are so correct in all you say! I helped my dad end his journey and was there at the end. We talked. Hugged. Said our goodbyes --"until whenever".... etc. I wish you and the family strength, compassion, admiration, and love. As they say... it's all about the DASH between the years of his birth and expiration. The Dash.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014