Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #51
N.H.SS
flatlanders beware
 
N.H.SS's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2ss/rs ls3 m6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: upper NH
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
If you own a 2010 SS and don't feel the need to modify............... you need to look down and see if the fella's are still hanging........
I like your style.
__________________
He who dies with the most toys... WINS
N.H.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #52
drtwo
 
drtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
What your saying is your find with a stock car and that's okay. But, to a lot of people gaining 8, 10, 20 hp is a big deal. It's more than you stocker and you will see an improvement. For someone like you I would say it's not a big deal ,but don't try to rain on our picnic just because you don't care about performance. I've won and lost a lot of races by just a couple of tens. No mod is really ment for the street no matter how small. You can only drive 65 in most states.
I'm not sure how I am raining on your parade. I've said that MOST of us don't race our cars (formally), but if you do, then mod away for your tenths of a second!!! SPEND, SPEND AWAY!!!

Not sure why you 'racers' are getting all bent out of shape? I'm not insulting you, or calling you stupid or having you justify your spending. To you, small performance gain may be worth it! To me, (and to be honest, most of us) these are essentially cosmetic gains only. SOOOOOOOO.....

So don't pick a CAI based on the HP gain or exhaust based on Power increase because it doesn't really matter. Maybe I'm sort of standing up for all of the runner up's of the CAI dyno challenge or the exhaust system that didn't perform quite as well, but sounds better. Get what is cool, not what has the extra 2 HP on the dyno... cause 2 HP aint SH!%

If you feel the need to insult me as if I 'don't get it' or that I need to 'check my stuff' or whatever, you feel free. But I think that I do get it.

BTW I know who I am NOT buying my mods from...
__________________
2SS RS Rally Yellow, LS3, M6, sunroof, extra on the fast!

Last edited by drtwo; 10-22-2009 at 09:09 PM.
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #53
N.H.SS
flatlanders beware
 
N.H.SS's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2ss/rs ls3 m6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: upper NH
Posts: 29
I like this thread. Very interesting. About 20 years ago I noticed a message on the back of a early Pro Street (remember those) Vega sitting in the staging lanes. The message said "Low Performance Vehicles Are For Low Performance Minds". Enough said.
__________________
He who dies with the most toys... WINS
N.H.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #54
drtwo
 
drtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.SS View Post
I like this thread. Very interesting. About 20 years ago I noticed a message on the back of a early Pro Street (remember those) Vega sitting in the staging lanes. The message said "Low Performance Vehicles Are For Low Performance Minds". Enough said.
Seriously...
__________________
2SS RS Rally Yellow, LS3, M6, sunroof, extra on the fast!
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #55
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
...These small HP increases do not equal correlative performance gains. It seems exponential HP gains are needed to get any significant performance change.

...Mods won't really make you go faster, but they sure can look or sound cool. So if we simply agree that it's good to personalize a car, but don't get misled into thinking that (m)any of these simple mods will make your Camaro a race car...

[Note: I am not a vendor of any kind, just an enthusiast like you and the others that make up this Camaro5 community.]

Your opinion and position are very respected - and I really mean that.

I completely agree with you that forced induction can reap huge gains but at a significant cost and that most here will not do it.

I do agree to disagree based on the phrases "Mods won't really make you go faster" or "small HP increases do not equal correlative performance gains".

Simple mods WILL make your car proportionally faster and many are very affordable. Reference data in post #43 above. As far as relative cost here are a few ways to look at it:

Base of what people paid per HP for their Camaro:
New LT V-6 304 HP, MSRP $22,995 => $75/hp
New SS V-8 Manual 426HP, MSRP $30,995 => $72.75/hp
New SS V-8 Auto 400HP, MSRP $31,990 => $80/hp

Cost of GMPP Horsepower:
New L99/LS3 Engine 430HP, MSRP $7,441 (JEGS) => $17.30/hp
Performance tune as in post #34 above 22HP, $300 => $13.63/hp
Cold Air Intake (refer to independent testing thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202 pretty informative) - 16 RWHP => 20 FWHP, $469 => $23.45/hp

It looks like there exists some simple performance bolt-ons that are proportional in cost to GMPP horsepower or a great "bang for the buck".

The one thing that is true regardless of the reasons why - and that there are a lot of new products being developed for the Camaro platform which in the long run is good for us, the enthusiasts. More choices at better prices. Gotta love free market...
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #56
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
BTW I know who I am NOT buying my mods from...
Hey -

Just saw this post of yours. Hope you didn't get burnt on parts by anyone on this site. That would suck regardless... :(
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #57
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
I think all the OP is trying to say is that if all your gonna do with your car is CAI and exhaust then don't sweat the minimal hp differences in these products. Get the products you want or like. If you go beyond exhaust and CAI then you will start feeling the power difference. On my 06 GTO I had exhaust and CAI. Sounded MUCH better, but if I didn't know they were on the car you would not be able to tell just by driving it that it was not stock. It felt exactly the same, but man did it sound 10 times better. This is a great thread and really shows the diverse type of gearheads we have up here.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #58
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
I'm not sure how I am raining on your parade. I've said that MOST of us don't race our cars (formally), but if you do, then mod away for your tenths of a second!!! SPEND, SPEND AWAY!!!

Not sure why you 'racers' are getting all bent out of shape? I'm not insulting you, or calling you stupid or having you justify your spending. To you, small performance gain may be worth it! To me, (and to be honest, most of us) these are essentially cosmetic gains only. SOOOOOOOO.....

So don't pick a CAI based on the HP gain or exhaust based on Power increase because it doesn't really matter. Maybe I'm sort of standing up for all of the runner up's of the CAI dyno challenge or the exhaust system that didn't perform quite as well, but sounds better. Get what is cool, not what has the extra 2 HP on the dyno... cause 2 HP aint SH!%

If you feel the need to insult me as if I 'don't get it' or that I need to 'check my stuff' or whatever, you feel free. But I think that I do get it.

BTW I know who I am NOT buying my mods from...
I don't know where in my post that I insulted you ,but If I did I sorry. But you posted something that not everybody is going to agree with. You have to understand the true motorhead's mind to get why we would pay $400 to gain 5hp. I've bought cars already because they've had a few more hp than other cars in their glass not caring about anything else the other car had to offer. When I buy a car I always get the model with the biggest hp motor. That's my main reason for an m6 over and a6 in the ss. This is what the poster ment buy you don't get it. It wasn't to insult your mine. Think of it this way. their are people how there that think it is a waist of money to go pay 36grand for something with 426hp just to say you caught 426hp when you can't legally use it on the road ,but you did . Is that really cost effective. I think your a little bit of a motorhead but not full blown. But, that's okay.
Cool car by the way that the sameone I'm getting.

Last edited by coolman; 10-22-2009 at 10:08 PM.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #59
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 6,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I don't know where in my post that I insulted you ,but If I did I sorry. But you posted something that not everybody is going to agree with. You have to understand the true motorhead's mind to get why we would pay $400 to gain 5hp. I've bought cars already because they've had a few more hp than other cars in their glass not caring about anything else the other car had to offer. When I buy a car I always get the model with the biggest hp motor. That's my main reason for an m6 over and a6 in the ss. This is what the poster ment buy you don't get it. I wasn't to insult your mine. Think of it this way. their are people how there that think it is a waist of money to go pay 36grand for something with 426hp just to say you caught 426hp when you can't legally use it on the road ,but you did . Is that really cost effective. I think your a little bit of a motorhead but not full blown. But, that's okay.
Cool car by the way that the sameone I'm getting.

Interesting viewpoint that the motorhead would pay $400 to gain 5 hp.

Does anyone know why the 2006 Z06 Corvette with the LS7 was developed specifically to generate at least 505 HP (not just 500) at a cost of millions of dollars extra by GM? Because at the time it was rated 5 hp higher than the 2006 Vipers' 500hp. Next iteration of the Viper? You guessed it. Again, at a cost of millions of dollars, this time by Dodge, the 2007 Viper was rated at 510 hp. 5hp more than the LS7. For the big boys, it made a huge difference. In the long run, the sports car enthusiast won out. Cool.
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #60
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Interesting viewpoint that the motorhead would pay $400 to gain 5 hp.

Does anyone know why the 2006 Z06 Corvette with the LS7 was developed specifically to generate at least 505 HP (not just 500) at a cost of millions of dollars extra by GM? Because at the time it was rated 5 hp higher than the 2006 Vipers' 500hp. Next iteration of the Viper? You guessed it. Again, at a cost of millions of dollars, this time by Dodge, the 2007 Viper was rated at 510 hp. 5hp more than the LS7. For the big boys, it made a huge difference. In the long run, the sports car enthusiast won out. Cool.
That's even a better point to drive what I'm saying home. They know that hp sells. look at the camaro ,1 more hp then the challenger. I'm a big mopar fan but an even bigger motorhead. That one hp push me to gm.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #61
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
If you cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch and talk with the other lap dogs
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #62
CamaroFemme

 
CamaroFemme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,897
Some really smart guy on my thread about this told me that w/ CAI/exhaust, you also get better mileage (I assume because the engine doesn't have to work as hard.) So if you're planning to keep your car for a long time - and I plan to - better mileage would eventually pay for itself and more.

So you get:

Better mileage
Better sound (subjective, of course)
More hp
And eventually, MORE than reimbursed.

Or at least that's how I understand it.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #63
MarylandSpeed



 
MarylandSpeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
thanks MarylandSpeed, but a little insulting.... I DO get it, but YOU, as a vendor, may be a bit biased. I've written several times that personalization is absolutely cool! But I'm hoping that vendors(no I'm not saying you) not pass off mods as big performance gainers because as we see...they are NOT. These small HP increases do not equal correlative performance gains. It seems exponential HP gains are needed to get any significant performance change.
I don't think anyone here (I hope) is telling someone they are gonna strap on a catback or intake and win a race. I mean if you think that..you simply have not done your research. That being said..in performance and modding..small differences mean a lot. I tell people for instance all the time that intakes are like shoes...they all do basically the same thing..it's just a matter what style you want, and how much money you want to spend. Yet there was still a huge thread over a CAI test with people sweating the details. People care about any edge they can get..no matter how minor. IMO, it is really no different that saying..well why spend $3000 on the latest TV, when a $600 Vizio set will do just fine? While the difference between the two might not matter to someone who is not into TV's..to someone who is, the difference is huge. All I am saying is..if it't not you cup of tea..then that is fine..however I don't think it's fair to make out like someone who does care is unreasonable.


Quote:
95% of us will not add a turbo or NOS or supercharger or change the cam or other semi-major mods. So we will NOT gain much of anything in the way of performance by simply adding a $400 CAI or $1200 cat-back exhaust. (if you plan to go on and add major engine changes in the future, then disregard this thread)
Most people do bolt on's because they are easy. Cold Air intakes are questionable, and always have been. I think most people install them to look cool, and say they have modded. However once you have modded more, you will see greater gains from a intake. As for a catback...there is some gain to replacing the resonators and factory mufflers, but exhaust is all about sound. I have customers who run $300 Pacesetter headers, but in the same purchase spend $1,000+ on a Corsa exhaust because they "want the Corsa sound". IMO..if we are talking Bolt ons, the one that carry's it's weight is headers which can net 25-45 rwhp (10% more power). However that is just on the edge of what most shade tree mechanics would do to a new $40K car.

Quote:
So I DO get it, but maybe am trying to help the AVERAGE (95% of us) Camaro owner who is duped by quick fix items to 'go faster'! The AVERAGE owner is not going to be racing his car weekly, so tenths of seconds ARE worthless. Especially when it costs thousands to get it. Mods won't really make you go faster, but they sure can look or sound cool. So if we simply agree that it's good to personalize a car, but don't get misled into thinking that (m)any of these simple mods will make your Camaro a race car...
No one is "duping" anyone into anything. It's your money..and the internet is a big place..spend it wisely and expect rational conclusions. I have customers that call and say.."Well I am buying a Intake which has 15HP, Exhaust which is 10HP, and headers which are 40HP, so I will get 65HP from these mods..right?". Then I have to talk them down, and explain that it does not work that way..and they get a little deflated..but still buy the parts. That being dai..if you do mod your car...say cam, blower, or whatever...an intake and exhaust WILL make more power. Just on a stock car, the stock components (outside of headers), can flow the air your engine can pump through it just fine.
__________________
www.marylandspeed.com * 443-730-9428 * Great Prices and Experienced Service!

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #64
Nickdago
 
Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 407
Added a CAI, larger throttle body, long tube headers and Corsa exhaust along with a tune on my LS6 ZO6 and picked up about 70 horsys and easily 7/10's of a second in the quarter mile. Cost about 5k for 7 car lengths in the quarter mile. Was it worth it? OH YEAH!!!
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #65
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer
 
8ty8 ls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 769
it seems to me that he doesn't understand tenths of a second...but that's ok. you're not a racer. keep your car stock and let people fight their own battles on whether to mod the car or not...
__________________

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #66
drtwo
 
drtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 600
I don't know if I'm not saying things clearly enough or if people reading too deeply into what I say, somehow feel guilty/paranoid on their spending decisions or are simply not reading this thread...BUT LET ME BE A LITTLE MORE CLEAR SO I QUIT FEELING THAT 'I DONT GET IT'

IF YOU ARE A GUY WHO IS INTO RACING YOU SHOULD GO OUT AND BUY LOTS OF MODS BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE HP IS VALUABLE AND IMPORTANT SO THAT YOU CAN BE SUPER FAST!!!!! I GET IT!!!!

THE REST OF US WHO ARE NOT FORMALLY RACING OUR CARS DON'T REALLY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE MINUSHA, BUT INSTEAD BUY THE FUN STUFF, MAKE IT LOOK/SOUND GOOD. DON'T WORRY IF IT DOESN'T GIVE THE EXTRA 2HP AS IT WON'T MATTER ANYWAY!!!
__________________
2SS RS Rally Yellow, LS3, M6, sunroof, extra on the fast!

Last edited by drtwo; 10-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #67
CamaroFemme

 
CamaroFemme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,897
I don't think there's anything wrong w/ wanting the best for your vehicle. The CAI test was notable in that it listed more than hp gain. It also went into how good the instructions were, if you would need additional tuning, and if you would have to move other components of your Camaro around. One thing I wish it listed is the price of each. Being interested in having more hp is just as valid as being interested in the best-looking CAI. I have to wonder about the whole idea of "don't worry about the power gain!" That's the whole point of the mod. That's like saying, "Don't worry that Nike shoes will only last 3 months - they're pretty!"

No offense to you.

Or Nike, for that matter.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #68
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist
 
themossman's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: JAX
Posts: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
I don't know if I'm not saying things clearly enough or if people reading too deeply into what I say, somehow feel guilty/paranoid on their spending decisions or are simply not reading this thread...BUT LET ME BE A LITTLE MORE CLEAR SO I QUIT FEELING THAT 'I DONT GET IT'

IF YOU ARE A GUY WHO IS INTO RACING YOU SHOULD GO OUT AND BUY LOTS OF MODS BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE HP IS VALUABLE AND IMPORTANT SO THAT YOU CAN BE SUPER FAST!!!!! I GET IT!!!!

THE REST OF US WHO ARE NOT FORMALLY RACING OUR CARS DON'T REALLY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE MINUSHA, BUT INSTEAD BUY THE FUN STUFF, MAKE IT LOOK/SOUND GOOD. DON'T WORRY IF IT DOESN'T GIVE THE EXTRA 2HP AS IT WON'T MATTER ANYWAY!!!
Seriously...I don't race my car...but I'm glad that I've done what I've done and the difference is MORE than noticeable.

You seem to be trying to say that we're trying to convince you that modding is the way to go...

In reality, I think what's really happening here is that you are trying to convince yourself that not modding is the way to go. Good luck with that.
__________________
Car is for sale --->http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158486
Current Summary:
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #69
JoshJ81
 
JoshJ81's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Now that I have your attention:

IF YOU ROUTINELY RACE YOUR CAR THEN PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS THREAD OR REPLY AS IT DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU!!!

A V6 2010 Camaro has around 304HP
An SS 2010 Camaro has 426HP
A 2009 Pontiac G8 v8 has 361HP

WHY do we spend big $$ on a small 8-10HP gain from a catback exhaust, cold air intake etc.. that will increase our overall HP FARRRRR less than the simple difference in HP gain from a V6 to a V8?

The Horsepower between the cars above varies more than 120HP and yet the performance of each of these cars varies only by tenths of seconds in a quarter mile and maybe less in a 0-60 run. (WITH OVER A HUNDRED HORSEPOWER IN DIFFERENCE)!!!

These modifications look good and sound good, but there seems to be no actualized difference in the cold air intake performance in real life. Although I VERY much appreciate the science and time to test the products!!! Great JOb!

I'd say buy your aftermarket stuff to personalize your car and enjoy it! Take Power gains with a grain of salt. Buy the CAI that looks cool to you and the exhaust that sounds good to you and don't worry about the numbers!!!

If you want real performance gains: you'll have to get a turbo or supercharger or some other extreme engine modification.

Any comments?!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! all that talk about CAI's was and is still a joke. Either way your going to pay $400+ for 10hp avg? Worst yet you won't even feel it lol money well spent eh? $400 will buy about 10 full tanks of gas and I will enjoy my Stock Camaro SS just as much. I don't even look under the hood that much to even enjoy a CAI lol puts to many finger prints on the paint, now I have to clean it again. To each their own for sure though.
__________________
2SS/RS A6 L99 - Black w/White Stripes

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #70
JoshJ81
 
JoshJ81's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
Because no matter how good it is. Nobody likes STOCK. This is America, we want to change it (dont mean that obama change thing)
I love everything stock about my Camaro! 100% American right here!

Okay I lied, I want to upgrade the full suspension with Pedders, because I want to put it on road courses across America (road racer at heart). I guess I'm 102% American?
__________________
2SS/RS A6 L99 - Black w/White Stripes

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #71
drtwo
 
drtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
In reality, I think what's really happening here is that you are trying to convince yourself that not modding is the way to go. Good luck with that.
Once again if you read this thread rather than jump to the end: I AM going to mod my car, but I'm not doing it for HP (because I realize that it's not enough to matter) so I am choosing my mods based on looks and sound or whatever. I've NEVER discouraged anyone from modding. I have encouraged personalization!

If I could change the title of the thread...I would. I would say: UNLESS YOU RACE, MOD YOUR CAR FOR PERSONALIZATION NOT THE PERFORMANCE GAIN. That way

It's sucks starting a thread where some people can't comprehend intent or read too much into things. Apparently some of us here have a lot of pent up issues and are on the defence and waiting to lash out. This is nuts.
__________________
2SS RS Rally Yellow, LS3, M6, sunroof, extra on the fast!
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #72
alfie43

 
alfie43's Avatar
 
Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alfie (Mariano) lives in Shelby Twp, Metro-Detroit
Posts: 1,119
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
I don't know if I'm not saying things clearly enough or if people reading too deeply into what I say, somehow feel guilty/paranoid on their spending decisions or are simply not reading this thread...BUT LET ME BE A LITTLE MORE CLEAR SO I QUIT FEELING THAT 'I DONT GET IT'

IF YOU ARE A GUY WHO IS INTO RACING YOU SHOULD GO OUT AND BUY LOTS OF MODS BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE HP IS VALUABLE AND IMPORTANT SO THAT YOU CAN BE SUPER FAST!!!!! I GET IT!!!!

THE REST OF US WHO ARE NOT FORMALLY RACING OUR CARS DON'T REALLY NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE MINUSHA, BUT INSTEAD BUY THE FUN STUFF, MAKE IT LOOK/SOUND GOOD. DON'T WORRY IF IT DOESN'T GIVE THE EXTRA 2HP AS IT WON'T MATTER ANYWAY!!!
drtwo,
My friend, you are starting to sound obstinate, overly persistent and loud. According to accepted Internet protocol, when you type in uppercase (caps), it indicates that you are shouting and that's how you are now coming across. Calm down and don't get so easily offended. Maybe you aren't making your point clearly enough...or possibly you don't "get it", and maybe its a little of both.

By the way, if I drag raced another car and beat him by about 6-8 car lengths in the 1320, would you say that I thoroughly thrashed him? Of course, you would. That's the difference the few tenths (that you shrugged off) would make at 110 mph going through the lights.

Alfie
__________________

Last edited by alfie43; 10-24-2009 at 10:30 AM.
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #73
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Once again if you read this thread rather than jump to the end: I AM going to mod my car, but I'm not doing it for HP (because I realize that it's not enough to matter) so I am choosing my mods based on looks and sound or whatever. I've NEVER discouraged anyone from modding. I have encouraged personalization!

If I could change the title of the thread...I would. I would say: UNLESS YOU RACE, MOD YOUR CAR FOR PERSONALIZATION NOT THE PERFORMANCE GAIN. That way

It's sucks starting a thread where some people can't comprehend intent or read too much into things. Apparently some of us here have a lot of pent up issues and are on the defence and waiting to lash out. This is nuts.
The reason your having so much trouble getting your point across is simple,This is a Forum with NO Emotion, NO facial Expression, NO Hand waving,(I am Italian LOL) NO Tone of voice.

Modifications are a personal choice and must meet each persons personal expectations and satisfy each his own curiosity, demands, likes, etc.

What I got out of it is, Performance is not as important to you, as looks, so don't sweat the 2 hp.

Also you believe 95% of the guys on here feel just like you do.

I don't know about that LOL, I think guys hang around here to see how to, and what to do, to they're pride an joy, and what the results will be before laying down any cash.

All In all Great discussion and I expect it started because of my thread on Cold Air Kit Testing.

If I am wrong See Reason Above.

Just a tid bit of recent info, I just finished an L99 car, Simple bolt ons gave it more than LS3 Power, 370 RWHP 387 RWTQ, Headers cat back, CAI and Tune, Pretty darn good gain for the dollars spent.

Also this L99 car Just covered the quarter mile in 12.47 at 112 MPH today
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #74
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Just a tid bit of recent info, I just finished an L99 car, Simple bolt ons gave it more than LS3 Power, 370 RWHP 387 RWTQ, Headers cat back, CAI and Tune, Pretty darn good gain for the dollars spent.
Well, your RWTQ is more than a stock LS3. RWHP still just a bit shy.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #75
drtwo
 
drtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The reason your having so much trouble getting your point across is simple,This is a Forum with NO Emotion, NO facial Expression, NO Hand waving,(I am Italian LOL) NO Tone of voice.

Modifications are a personal choice and must meet each persons personal expectations and satisfy each his own curiosity, demands, likes, etc.

Also this L99 car Just covered the quarter mile in 12.47 at 112 MPH today
You know you may be right. Trying to get my point across in writing seems so pointless since everybody comes here with their own biases and insecurities. My point didn't change, but it was getting misinterpreted I guess. I give up. Never mind. close the thread.
__________________
2SS RS Rally Yellow, LS3, M6, sunroof, extra on the fast!
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro is going to Hennessy Performance for CAI and Peak Performance Tune? mslone Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 1 10-09-2009 10:57 PM
LSX Performance specialist Next Level Performance USA - Southeast 1 08-03-2009 04:33 PM
I wonder it this will make it on Camaro: GM reconfigurable performance display radz28 Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 15 10-27-2008 02:52 PM
Performance question - gains from pulleys? 96CAMaro Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 7 04-11-2008 08:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.