Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
Hard Acceleration?

Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

Just Curious...
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28

Last edited by MrCool; 03-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
bald tires and a gas tank that gets low faster than usual
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

You know, like

Just Curious...
Instantaneous damage is highly unlikely. However, engines have moving parts (as I'm sure you know) that are most often a metal surface moving across another metal surface. Even with good lubricants, this causes wear over time, and frequent "anti-social behavior" (thanks Number 3) can accelerate that wear.

However, if your car has an issue that is causing knock, you can very rapidly cause massive engine damage. Proper maintenance and a bit of prudence with any modding should prevent any knocking though.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave
 
Zhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
bald tires and a gas tank that gets low faster than usual
and a case of permagrin.

If you take care of you Camaro properly this shouldn't be a problem. My 95 Z/28 has been to the track plenty of time and so far the only thing with a problem is the rear end.
__________________
Camaros:87 IROC-z, 95 Z/28, 2010 RS/SS
Corvettes: 90 Vert

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
So just an increase in wear and tear basically?

Oh...I thought there was an instantaneous damage like Xanthos said.
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Kelso
 
Drives: 99 camaro
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tivoli, Tx
Posts: 223
na man anything can happen u know but its highly unlikely a big boom will occur...My 99 camaro has a 140,000 miles on it and i push it hard often, and no boom.
__________________
Soon to own: 1SS CGM M6
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
almost every pretty day outside I get on mine about as hard as you can get on it. Like I said, tires will get balder and gas will leave faster, otherwise enjoy it and it will take the beating. If you've got a m6 then your clutch will not last so long either if you drive like me lol. I've got a fix for that too though.
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7
If you've got a m6 then your clutch will not last so long either if you drive like me lol. I've got a fix for that too though.
Right now my dad has an automatic '94 Z28. With 210,XXX miles. :(

Man I love gettin' in that car, a Camaro is a real mans car. It's loud, and just says "Get the F*** outta my way..."
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Right now my dad has an automatic '94 Z28. With 210,XXX miles. :(

Man I love gettin' in that car, a Camaro is a real mans car. It's loud, and just says "Get the F*** outta my way..."
Funny thing, when I was shopping for my '02 SS my uncle asked me why I do not get a corvette. He said it's a real man's car. To me they do not have the attitude, swag, macheezmo, or cohones that the Camaro does Unless it is a Z06 or better I won't touch a base vette. I'd much rather have a 4th gen Z28 or SS with an ls1 than a base vette of pretty much any gen. As far as racing goes I've got a few C5s under my belt even a Z06 lol. Never raced a c6 of any kind though.

Camaro is just a badass!
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
Funny thing, when I was shopping for my '02 SS my uncle asked me why I do not get a corvette. He said it's a real man's car. To me they do not have the attitude, swag, macheezmo, or cohones that the Camaro does Unless it is a Z06 or better I won't touch a base vette. I'd much rather have a 4th gen Z28 or SS with an ls1 than a base vette of pretty much any gen. As far as racing goes I've got a few C5s under my belt even a Z06 lol. Never raced a c6 of any kind though.

Camaro is just a badass!
Hell yea man!!!
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave
 
Zhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lost
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
Funny thing, when I was shopping for my '02 SS my uncle asked me why I do not get a corvette. He said it's a real man's car. To me they do not have the attitude, swag, macheezmo, or cohones that the Camaro does Unless it is a Z06 or better I won't touch a base vette. I'd much rather have a 4th gen Z28 or SS with an ls1 than a base vette of pretty much any gen. As far as racing goes I've got a few C5s under my belt even a Z06 lol. Never raced a c6 of any kind though.

Camaro is just a badass!
Sorry, my friend. But, I just drove my 02 Vette again and was happy all the way. If you have a couple of C5 Vettes on racing either you have mods vs a stock or the other driver didn't know how to drive. I love my 95 Z/28 but I give props where they are due. The Vette has its own place anomgst sports cars and it is a fantastic place. That doesn't take away from the Camaro but as a driver, and lover, of both, I can honestly say that they are GREAT complements of each other.

If you want a Camaro over a Vette, cool, but don't diss America's Sports Car. It has truly earned it place.
__________________
Camaros:87 IROC-z, 95 Z/28, 2010 RS/SS
Corvettes: 90 Vert

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhawk View Post
Sorry, my friend. But, I just drove my 02 Vette again and was happy all the way. If you have a couple of C5 Vettes on racing either you have mods vs a stock or the other driver didn't know how to drive. I love my 95 Z/28 but I give props where they are due. The Vette has its own place anomgst sports cars and it is a fantastic place. That doesn't take away from the Camaro but as a driver, and lover, of both, I can honestly say that they are GREAT complements of each other.

If you want a Camaro over a Vette, cool, but don't diss America's Sports Car. It has truly earned it place.
I'm not dissing vettes. I like them, but love Camaros. I was simply giving my opinion. And yes, I do have mods and think I drive pretty good

Also, from my last race with a stock a4 c5 I'd say my '02 SS vert m6 would've destroyed it no matter if my bolton car was stock or modded. The C5 I raced obviously had 2.73 gears in the rear end which are a killer of down low performance. My car was toward the top of first (35mph) where I can put down more hp and tq while the c5 was noteably lower in the rpm range as well as hp and tq. This gave me the advantage and made him give me the excuse of him needing an oil change

Even if we went from a dig I think I'da ripped him a new one. From like 35-60 I put a car on him after giving him the punch, while spinning past him in 2nd. Note: I'm going to stickier tires so I do less spinning, for now I just pedal it if I need too lol

vettes are nice cars, just not my taste... unless it is the Z0 or ZR
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
In comparison:

When it comes to the 'vette, when someone sees one on the street, they KNOW it's a fast car. But when someone sees a '94 Z28, with horrible exterior, but a strong engine, his jaw will drop when that thing takes off like a rocket.

It just boils down to what your tastes are, what a boring world we would live in if everyone were the same.
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #14
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
In comparison:

When it comes to the 'vette, when someone sees one on the street, they KNOW it's (always sometimes, and supposed to be) a fast car. But when someone sees a '94 Z28, with horrible exterior, but a strong engine, his jaw will drop when that thing takes off like a rocket.

It just boils down to what your tastes are, what a boring world we would live in if everyone were the same.
Fixed it and
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #15
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
Fixed it and
Would it take a extremely built motor to outrun a ZR1, for example? I mean it has 638 HP. A whole engine rebuild huh? Heads, increase stroke, stall, rear end, supercharger/turbo, exaust, nitrous? Excuse my noob-ness, I'm guessing.
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Would it take a extremely built motor to outrun a ZR1, for example? I mean it has 638 HP. A whole engine rebuild huh? Heads, increase stroke, stall, rear end, supercharger/turbo, exaust, nitrous? Excuse my noob-ness, I'm guessing.
no such thing as a stupid question. Depends on what kind of engine you're trying to build. And if you want to take a ZR1, it is actually pretty simple. Get a better hp/tq per vehicle lb and put it to the ground with traction.

You can beat a zr1 with 100hp if the vehicle is light enough(i.e. street bike).

If you're talking about an ls3. I'm sure it can be done all motor, but I'd imagine some nice suspension work on that vehicle.

Hell I could get away with a cam swap in my stock ls1 and add a 9in rear end and some slicks and either be scary close to a Z on the strip or possibly beat it if it is stock.

What engine and vehicle are you talking about?
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
MrCool
 
MrCool's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Z28
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
What engine and vehicle are you talking about?
I had in mind a standard F-Body engine (LT1 or LS1), particularly the LT1.

It would be really cool if you could stay street legal and still be able to keep up with a ZR1 on the highway or soemthign.

But I did some HW:
outlawz is running 5.882@120mph in the 1/8th mile, I found a Lingenfelter ZR1 time (from here) and it read 6.539@111.420.

(BTW, I hope he doesn't mind me using his Camaro as an example...) :(

So you probably can, but street legal?
__________________
1995 LT1 Z28
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9
 
wrek's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 666
To those saying instant damage isn't likely... that's complete crap. When I accelerate hard, especially several times in a row, my wallet gets damaged... it's small but it's cumulative. Be warned!
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
I had in mind a standard F-Body engine (LT1 or LS1), particularly the LT1.

It would be really cool if you could stay street legal and still be able to keep up with a ZR1 on the highway or soemthign.

But I did some HW:
outlawz is running 5.882@120mph in the 1/8th mile, I found a Lingenfelter ZR1 time (from here) and it read 6.539@111.420.

(BTW, I hope he doesn't mind me using his Camaro as an example...) :(

So you probably can, but street legal?
Street legal is not a matter of how much hp you've got. Its a matter of having a working horn, headlights, tail lights, wind shield, and whatever else they can give you a ticket for not having.

Too much hp? Never been an issue. There are guys with over 1000rwhp that drive their cars on the street.

btw, I've seen a Nova that would wax a zr1 on the 8th based on the time you gave. The thing is the nova is a purpose built race car. I doubt it had a horn(like the cops will tell you to honk your horn anyway), but the head lights and tail lights work on it. It runs like 4s I heard once it got in the 3s. I've seen 4s with my own eyes.

Trust me stay away from lt1s... Very difficult to work on, out dated, and they have some pretty jacked up design issues such as when the water pump goes out it WILL leak on the optispark which is not cheap.

They can be made fast just like anything else, but a much better engine is the ls1.

The ls1 is much more simple to me. Both are pretty cheap.

To put things into perspective... A buddy of mine had an lt1 and he had full boltons on it already and a cam planned. I told him my full bolton dyno numbers on my ls1 and he told me his with a cam would put out about the same. Then he bought an ls1 and cammed it

An important rule to remember is anything can be made fast.

2 of the fastest cars I've ridden in were a I think '68 roadrunner(reminds me of Vin Diesel's car at the end of Fast n Furious 1) and a I think '95 front wheel drive eclipse.

A 440CI roadrunner and a 4cyl eclipse... Think about that... lol

The road runner's power was breath taking from a dead stop. It was like you're sitting still and boom... FLIGHT! The most hauling ass I've done in my life from a dig lol.

My other buddy had an eclipse which had a built engine and turbo and who knows what all else. Well we were going around a curve at about 85mph and he decides to downshift to 3rd and softly lay into the pedal. This mfer started blowing the tires off at 85mph on a curve and had me about shitting my self. We were out in the country and I saw nothing but trees lol Guy could drive. He said he has stuck to Viper before...

anyways, built can be better than bought. Street legal is not decided by hp.

Get an ls1,6,3,7,9 and you'll be in good shape lol
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Howdy All,
I don't know if this is a dumb question, but oh well:

What kind of damage happens to the engine (Camaro or a regular car) when you accelorate hard, and how would you spot this damage?

You know, like




Just Curious...
you cant usually spot the damage (ie wear and tear) that gets put on the car during hard accelleration. that is, until something breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhawk View Post
and a case of permagrin.

If you take care of you Camaro properly this shouldn't be a problem. My 95 Z/28 has been to the track plenty of time and so far the only thing with a problem is the rear end.
the rear end was a problem before you took it to the track.

damn 10 bolts....


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
I had in mind a standard F-Body engine (LT1 or LS1), particularly the LT1.

It would be really cool if you could stay street legal and still be able to keep up with a ZR1 on the highway or soemthign.

But I did some HW:
outlawz is running 5.882@120mph in the 1/8th mile, I found a Lingenfelter ZR1 time (from here) and it read 6.539@111.420.

(BTW, I hope he doesn't mind me using his Camaro as an example...) :(

So you probably can, but street legal?
1/8 mile times are one thing, but what are those two cars running in the 1/4? LS series engines have some stupid rediculous top end power.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
To those saying instant damage isn't likely... that's complete crap. When I accelerate hard, especially several times in a row, my wallet gets damaged... it's small but it's cumulative. Be warned!

its not always small. my trans shit the bed on a hard launch. well, 2nd and 4th gear did anyway. 1st gear let go a month ago doing a burnout. lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
Street legal is not a matter of how much hp you've got. Its a matter of having a working horn, headlights, tail lights, wind shield, and whatever else they can give you a ticket for not having.

Too much hp? Never been an issue. There are guys with over 1000rwhp that drive their cars on the street.

btw, I've seen a Nova that would wax a zr1 on the 8th based on the time you gave. The thing is the nova is a purpose built race car. I doubt it had a horn(like the cops will tell you to honk your horn anyway), but the head lights and tail lights work on it. It runs like 4s I heard once it got in the 3s. I've seen 4s with my own eyes.

Trust me stay away from lt1s... Very difficult to work on, out dated, and they have some pretty jacked up design issues such as when the water pump goes out it WILL leak on the optispark which is not cheap.

how are LT1s any harder to work on than any other engine? their "jacked up" design issues are where the LS1 takes its roots. the optispark mounting location was not the best choice when they designed this motor, but the water pump weep hole can be taken care of by a small piece of hose. not to mention, the water pump on the LT1 is not belt driven. meaning if your belt snaps, you can still drive a good distance without worrying about overheating the engine. the opti... when it works, it works. ive seen 1000+hp combos running a stock GM optispark without fail. and ive seen optis crap out from morning mist. not to mention the reverse flow cooling that allows higher stock cr.

but ive never seen an LT1 with piston slap like an LS1.

They can be made fast just like anything else, but a much better engine is the ls1.

The ls1 is much more simple to me. Both are pretty cheap.
depending on how you look at it, the LT1 is more simple. but its personal opinion on that point. both engines have their high and low points. both engines were the top dogs of the day in their time.

To put things into perspective... A buddy of mine had an lt1 and he had full boltons on it already and a cam planned. I told him my full bolton dyno numbers on my ls1 and he told me his with a cam would put out about the same. Then he bought an ls1 and cammed it
dyno numbers dont mean squat if you cant put that power to the ground.
I respect the LS1, but my LT1 has handed many an LS car their ass.


An important rule to remember is anything can be made fast.

2 of the fastest cars I've ridden in were a I think '68 roadrunner(reminds me of Vin Diesel's car at the end of Fast n Furious 1) and a I think '95 front wheel drive eclipse.

A 440CI roadrunner and a 4cyl eclipse... Think about that... lol

The road runner's power was breath taking from a dead stop. It was like you're sitting still and boom... FLIGHT! The most hauling ass I've done in my life from a dig lol.

My other buddy had an eclipse which had a built engine and turbo and who knows what all else. Well we were going around a curve at about 85mph and he decides to downshift to 3rd and softly lay into the pedal. This mfer started blowing the tires off at 85mph on a curve and had me about shitting my self. We were out in the country and I saw nothing but trees lol Guy could drive. He said he has stuck to Viper before...

anyways, built can be better than bought. Street legal is not decided by hp.

Get an ls1,6,3,7,9 and you'll be in good shape lol

LS motors are the future, but you cant progress forward without remembering the past and what got you to where you are.

like I said before, I respect the LS1, but I love the LT1.

LS1s are smooth, easy power.
LT1s are hard, rough power. and I like it rough.


both engines have their benefits, the LS architecture uses 6 bolt mains, aluminum blocks, composite intake manifold, coil on cylinder ignition, plus many other great benefits.

the LT architecture (save for the LT5's), are a mix of 2 and 4 bolt mains, cast iron blocks (good for racing), gear driven water pump, reverse flow cooling, lightweight rotating assy (pink rods. lol), dry intake, and other things.

its chevy v8 architecture. just like the LS1 being compared to the LS3. the LS3 is a superior engine. it was designed to be a superior engine to the LS1 the same way the LS1 was designed to be superior to the LT1. I cant wait till the Gen V motors start making their way into production and the LS3 will be outdated.




all that being said. back to the main point of this thread.

what kind of damage can be caused by hard accelleration.

that really depends on if you spin or hook.
if you dead hook, you are putting a strain on the drivetrain and suspension. the stock rear end in these cars is one of the weakest links in the car.
now, if you spin, you are still putting some strain on the same parts, but not as much as dead hooking 3700lbs. and part of that is just due to the way the car is built. stamped steel control arms, non-welded axle tubes, torque arm mounted to the transmission tailshaft, etc.

things can break at any power level. however, unless you are running slicks or some damn good tires, you more than likely wont be dead hooking often.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
outlawz
 
outlawz's Avatar
 
Drives: 1995 Camaro Z28 Drag car
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California
Posts: 116
Quote:
1/8 mile times are one thing, but what are those two cars running in the 1/4? LS series engines have some stupid rediculous top end power
I don't know what the ZR1 runs in the 1/4.. With a 6.5 in the 1/8th it's probably around 10.7 or so.....

I ran a 9.20@151mph on that 5.88 1/8th mile pass so ridiculous top end power i have covered.... LS motors are just like anything else when it comes to top end power. They have great head flow and make good power in the upper RPM band which is where you need it past the 1/8th mile....

Having an LS vs LT discussion isn't that smart. The LT was a 5 year run in the F-body while they were developing the LS series of motors. It's truly a red headed step child if you will.... Aftermarket parts availability was not bad but once the LS1 motor came out all the companies started producing parts for it and not the LT motors. Which is why there is NO aftermarket block availability for LTx motors which would allow us to produce ALOT more power.

HOWEVER, the caveat to that is that the LT1 is basically a 23 degree headed reverse cooled small block chevy. Take away the funky front mount distributor and cam driven water pump and you have a 2 bolt main small block from the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc... There are ups to that fact. Alot of parts that work for SBC's will work for LT1's. Cranks, rods, pistons are pretty much the same and can make for a killer bottom end. 4 bolt conversions are available with a good machine shop. Reverse cooled 23 degree heads from AFR flow very well and allow you to run quite a bit of compression since the heads and combustion chambers stay cool. The manifold on the LT is where you run into issues. At RPM levels above 6500 the manifold is complete garbage. Air reversion and turbulence cuts power at those levels and above. So you have to convert to a single plane fuel injected manifold which can be costly. Yes the LT1 stock vs stock is not as good as the LS motor. The LS has a better aftermarket, heads flow better, bottom end is strong, aluminum blocks are a plus, etc..... However if you pour 10K into an LS1 and put 10K into an LT1 you'll find that the LT is not very far behind in performance.....

My motor for example. Custom built 4 bolt main stock block LT1. Stroked to 383 cubic inches, 6" rod, JE nitrous pistons. AFR 227cc reverse cooled heads (stock is 190cc), single plane edelbrock manifold with accufab 1250cfm throttle body.... it's QUITE a serious piece and the price tag is not for the faint of heart. But in my 3400 lb car it will run 10.6@127 on motor (which is about on par with a stock ZR1 which is lighter AND supercharged) and on nitrous which is what it was built for it has the power to run in the 8.90's full tilt on everything we can throw at it.... My motor was built to run up to about a 500hp shot of nitrous oxide. currently we have only sprayed it with a 325 shot (which resulted in the 9.20@151).... So the point of this post was to show that it doesn't matter what engine you have. LT, LS, LX, TQ, PS... doesn't matter. you throw enough money at a small block chevy and it'll run. It's all in your COMBINATION of parts and having smart people around you to help you make the decisions about what will work and what won't. I've been lucky to have guys like that around me along the way....
__________________
outlawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
how are LT1s any harder to work on than any other engine? their "jacked up" design issues are where the LS1 takes its roots. the optispark mounting location was not the best choice when they designed this motor, but the water pump weep hole can be taken care of by a small piece of hose. not to mention, the water pump on the LT1 is not belt driven. meaning if your belt snaps, you can still drive a good distance without worrying about overheating the engine. the opti... when it works, it works. ive seen 1000+hp combos running a stock GM optispark without fail. and ive seen optis crap out from morning mist. not to mention the reverse flow cooling that allows higher stock cr.

but ive never seen an LT1 with piston slap like an LS1.

They can be made fast just like anything else, but a much better engine is the ls1.
lt1s are harder to work on becaust they take up more space in the engine bay.

opti spark placement sucks and its good to know theres a fix for it

SPEAKING OF OVERHEATING an if an lt1 loses its coolant or if the water pump fails, the engine WILL overheat and possibly kill its self. Ls1s and the 3800s around those years will both shut down if the temp gets too high and save the engine from further damage...

I respect the lt1 also, but I wouldn't touch one due to the fact that there are other cheap and more efficient ways to go.

and yea, I agree anything can be made fast.
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you cant usually spot the damage (ie wear and tear) that gets put on the car during hard accelleration. that is, until something breaks.
Yes you can... You get an oil analysis

They tell you averages on wear for your kind of engine and where your engine stands. They look at all the different elements inside your engine and tell you if excess iron is showing up in your oil for instance. That would mean your crank is probably wearing away faster than it should as well as all the other parts.

I got one and they told me that my oil, engine wear, oil filter, and air filter are all doing a great job. This lab told me I can do 8000 oil changes as long as I keep using the stuff I'm using
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
lt1s are harder to work on becaust they take up more space in the engine bay.

opti spark placement sucks and its good to know theres a fix for it

SPEAKING OF OVERHEATING an if an lt1 loses its coolant or if the water pump fails, the engine WILL overheat and possibly kill its self. Ls1s and the 3800s around those years will both shut down if the temp gets too high and save the engine from further damage...

I respect the lt1 also, but I wouldn't touch one due to the fact that there are other cheap and more efficient ways to go.

and yea, I agree anything can be made fast.
both engines fill up the engine bay.

as for the overheating... if you arent smart enough to shut your car down when you are overheating, you deserve to blow a head gasket. lol
my point was that if you snap your belt with an LS1, (unless you have an electric w/p), you can drive till the car overheats and shuts itself down. with an LT1, you can continue to drive till the battery is completely dead.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
Yes you can... You get an oil analysis

They tell you averages on wear for your kind of engine and where your engine stands. They look at all the different elements inside your engine and tell you if excess iron is showing up in your oil for instance. That would mean your crank is probably wearing away faster than it should as well as all the other parts.

I got one and they told me that my oil, engine wear, oil filter, and air filter are all doing a great job. This lab told me I can do 8000 oil changes as long as I keep using the stuff I'm using

but then YOU arent seeing the wear and tear. and say you changed the oil 2k ago, and you went out and dead hooked and twisted the crank just slightly, you wouldnt be able to notice that right away. maybe at the next oil change you might see some shavings or your oil analysis might show something, but you wont know then and there unless something breaks.

I do recommend people send their oil off for analysis at every other oil change or so depending on the age and mileage on the vehicle.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Who twists the cranks in lt1s and ls1s? Not normal people with less than 1000rwhp I'm guessing.

and I think the ls1 takes up less space in the engine bay. I've worked around both and I'd seriously hate to long tube an lt car. They were bad enough on my ls1 but doable.

and the overheating lt1 shutdown thing has nothing to do with how smart you are. Everybody doesn't know what their car will do if it doesn't usually happen everyday.

I did my coolant flush on my car and everything went fine.

I helped my buddy do his on his lt1 and neither he or I know that while the radiator looked full that his car could still over heat. We were waiting for the coolant level to drop to add to the radiator and his car was just idling like normal the whole time. A few min later the coolant was still at the top and we looked at the temp and the mfer was like at 300*!!! it was idling perfect too, but we knew the guage was saying shut it down.

point is we had no other indication it was over heating besides the guage inside the car. It continued to run perfect.

an ls1 or l36 car will start missing badly and eventually turn itself off instead of screwing around with your head gaskets which can be costly to replace.

And back to the oil analysis. Yea an oil analysis will tell you of things that can be a problem down the road if you do not catch it soon enough. But when something is broken it is broken. And yes, you are seeing where and tear in an oil analysis as far as what is going on in the engine, otherwise it would be pointless to do.

If your engine is still stock, you've got nothing to worry about when getting on it... It'll take it. If you've got a 6spd just upgrade your pushrods, maintain excellent maintenance, and have a blast... you won't twist your crank, I promise... Even if you do dead hook with a stock engine.
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
acceloration, camaro, ls1, lt1, z28

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drum brakes hard to beat KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 17 02-16-2012 01:40 PM
How hard is it. . . 09fathomgreen Off-topic Discussions 7 10-14-2010 12:03 AM
power convertible hard tonneau cover? odie23 Camaro Convertible Forum 1 09-09-2009 09:50 PM
Coupe, Vert, Hard Top Vert, T-Tops, or Removable Roof Panel? TAG UR IT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 42 08-02-2007 11:46 AM
Camaro pulls a Z06 hard on the highway. onilmaruri General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 6 03-28-2007 07:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.