Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
nikeair042
VENOM

Drives: Pontiac G8
Thinking of Selling G8 for a Camaro...Opinions?

Well, I know it's going to be pretty biased but right now I have a 2008 G8 GT. Probably put close to $4K into it. I love the car. Rides amazing, handles awesome, and has 4 doors.

I am 24, single, no gf or anything so 4 doors isnt the most important thing. When Transformers came out in 2007 I wanted one so bad (Camaro) but they werent coming out till 2009. Then G8 came out and I bought that. Now I have seen a couple on the road and everytime I see a Camaro I almost crash from drooling over it.

I had a 1998 Camaro about 5 years ago and I loved it. Seeing the new one and seeing the Transformers 2 over and over makes me want one now lol. Basically it would be the 2SS Camaro with the RS package, sun roof, and ground effects, in Silver.

I still owe about $16,000 on my G8 and payments are $405 a month. Priced out with the options I want, Camaro is about $38K.

My question is, would it be stupid to trade in my G8? KBB says it's worth $25K to dealer, $27K private. I love my G8 to death but the Camaro is so bad ass. Just want some opinions on if you think it would be smart and I guess what would happen since I still owe on the G8.

All feedback is welcome, thanks guys!

Darren
Appearance Mods: Red painted calipers, 20% Rear Tint, 35% Side Tint, front side marker tint, G8 GT Visor decals, V8 Badge, L76 oil cap, Roto-Fab Radiator cover, G8 GT Badge, shorty antenna, CF intake tube, CF plenum cover, GXP rear diffuser, red/black shifter, SLP black spoiler, gloss black roof
Performance Mods: Roto-Fab intake, Borla Cat-Back exhaust, hood-vent mod, VMS Tune, 160*, SLP LT headers, Camaro brembo's and rotors, BMR suspension parts, Eibach springs
nikeair042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
keep the G8 its a good car and it would make more economic sense.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Good luck getting 25k on trade for the G8. You have to look up auction price for that.

I plan to buy a Camaro when I have my G8 paid off, but that won't be for a few years. Having a 2010 would be nice, but a 2013 or 2014 won't be the end of the world. Keep the G8, not many of them sold, ever. And when you have that paid off you'll own a pretty rare car outright, then buy a camaro - and you'll own two of the baddest cars on the road.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2011 Camaro SS
I had both at the same time. '09 G8 GT and the '10 SS. Honestly, I enjoyed the G8 just as much in terms of driving experience. That GT impressed me every time I drove it. The only reason I sold it was so that we could upgrade the wife's car.

But, yourself being 24 and single. I don't see the need for a 4-door family hauler. Get yourself a 2-door and enjoy them while you can. You can probably sell the G8 for $23-25K
Nine Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I'd check Galves http://www.galves.com/ for a more realistic view of the value - you can get a one day pass for $4.95 or 7 day pass for $8.95 (good if you want to look up other car values for your family & don't have their cars model info - otherwise 1 day is sufficient).

To maximize the return on the G8 I assume you'll seek a private sale (and the potential hassles that goes with it before/during/after the sale) so KBB may help you negotiate from what consumers may check but galves is what most Dealers use to determine what the trade value is and what they can sell at auction or on their lot.

I agree with the comments that as you're 24 & single live the dream now only if you can afford it & before you're in a relationship where a more "practical" car like a sedan might make more sense.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 & booked for #5
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I say keep the g8. The camaro offers a similar driving experience and although it's hot you'll loose a lot giving up the G8. In two years the camaro will be better maybe you'll get a convertible. Lets face it 4-door v8 rear drive cars are dead the G8 IS a classic. In 40 years It's the new GTO.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeair042 View Post
KBB says it's worth $25K to dealer, $27K private.

I would suggest renting an SS for a few days and see how it compares to the G8 in terms of you daily needs................

Life is short, who the hell knows what is going to happen with the current destruction of our country as we know it now going on. If you want it, can swing it, I would get it.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
you always take a bath on the price of a newer car. Better to keep it.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Keep the G8 GT it's going to be a rare car. The Camaro will not.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
YancyJohns

Drives: Camaro Performers Magazine
Things I disliked about my 2009 G8 GT:
-wheel to adjust the drivers seat
-all control; radio, a/c, heat and defrost-for left hand driver never switch to right hand
-gas milage on 10% ethanol
-no I-pod adaptor
-19k tradin value

Things I dislike about my Camaro:
-Trunk opening
-paint quality, thin paint
-head room w/ sun roof

Make a list, then decide.
Camaro Performers Magazine SS/RS- 416 stroker, MagnaCharger TVS2300, DSE Sway, Baer 6S Brakes, Forgeline Wheels, BFG Rival, JBA Long tube/Exhaust, Center-Force Clutch, BMR-sfc,ta,tr, Energy Suspension poly kit, ADM CAI & Fuel pump, Norris PCV/Tune, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, DSS 9" rear ind rear, Innov. West pulleys/8 rib, Pedders Super cloil-overs, MGW shifter,/Seibon/ Anvil carbon Fiber. Owner-American Street Car Series and as seen on R U Faster than a Redneck?...lol

Last edited by YancyJohns; 10-25-2009 at 06:55 AM.
YancyJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
keep the G* rare and beautiful
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
nikeair042
VENOM

Drives: Pontiac G8
thanks for all the input so far. realistically and economically would be pretty stupid to trade in the G8 and take a loss, especially when I am planning on buying a Condo in Florida in a couple months. Maybe in a few years after it's paid off I'd buy a Camaro and like couple have said, have best of both worlds.

I may still go and test drive one and find out some pricing and see what I could get, but yea, thinking about it, $25K trade is not likely, more close to $20K probably. And selling privately I would get a little back on all the money I've put into it.

Appreciate the help guys!
Appearance Mods: Red painted calipers, 20% Rear Tint, 35% Side Tint, front side marker tint, G8 GT Visor decals, V8 Badge, L76 oil cap, Roto-Fab Radiator cover, G8 GT Badge, shorty antenna, CF intake tube, CF plenum cover, GXP rear diffuser, red/black shifter, SLP black spoiler, gloss black roof
Performance Mods: Roto-Fab intake, Borla Cat-Back exhaust, hood-vent mod, VMS Tune, 160*, SLP LT headers, Camaro brembo's and rotors, BMR suspension parts, Eibach springs
nikeair042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
My question is, would it be stupid to trade in my G8? KBB says it's worth $25K to dealer, $27K private. I love my G8 to death but the Camaro is so bad ass. Just want some opinions on if you think it would be smart and I guess what would happen since I still owe on the G8.
Smart? Well, buying a new car is rarely about being smart. Cars in general lose so much value in the first year that in my opinion it is never the smart financial decision. In your situation, let's say you get $25K for your car, which is not guaranteed by the way. That minus the $16K you still owe on it leaves you with $9K toward your new Camaro. That means you need to come up with $29K for the Camaro. So in the end, you will have a nice new and hot car, and nearly double the amount of debt. It's up to you to decide if that's worth it, and if you can afford the higher payments.

The other problem is, after a year or two this won't be the hot car anymore...maybe there will be a new Z28, or something else entirely catches your eye. That's when you might really regret spending so much now.

My advice to you is, only do this if you really can afford it, and if you are sure you won't be lusting after the next hot car in a year or two.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
WySilverado

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro M6 Synergy Green
Go for it...........if you can afford it ,you only live once!
WySilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
I would wait. Pay off the car you have. Why double the debt for owning 1 car? Besides, you get married, give her the G8 and then buy your Camaro and you have the best of both worlds...lol.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
, and has 4 doors.
This would be the only reason I would need to get rid of it and get a Camaro!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
I love my Camaro, but if I had not been rear ended in Sep. I would still have my G8 I tried to find another one, but with Pontiac gone it was very difficult to find a GT with the color/options I wanted within about 400 miles. The Camaro was actually my 2nd choice Keep the G8, it's an amazing car...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #18
Hercules778

Drives: undecided
Quote:

When Transformers came out in 2007 I wanted one so bad (Camaro) but they werent coming out till 2009.
Are people buying this car just because of the transformers movie?

I aint raggin' on ya New Joizey
Hercules778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post

In 40 years It's the new GTO.
Ha, ha, ha.
I once worked with an engineer whose pride and joy was, justifiably, her '69 GTO. She still had it when she came to visit me in '07. She's in her thirties, and the GTO celebrates its 40th birthday this year. I have an '09 GXP and in 40 years (maybe a grandchild'll get to enjoy it) I'll be 93. I should be so lucky. I'm not in anyway making fun of you but I got a chuckle thinking of my rickety ass going through the gears in my G8 against the hover-cars of the future in 40 years. Meaning: It's all relative in terms of classic cars and those who can fully appreciate them. I suppose that another moral to the story would be that it pays to enjoy what you're driving. Don't put off until tomorrow what's feasible today.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #20
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Ha, ha, ha.
I once worked with an engineer whose pride and joy was, justifiably, her '69 GTO. She still had it when she came to visit me in '07. She's in her thirties, and the GTO celebrates its 40th birthday this year. I have an '09 GXP and in 40 years (maybe a grandchild'll get to enjoy it) I'll be 93. I should be so lucky. I'm not in anyway making fun of you but I got a chuckle thinking of my rickety ass going through the gears in my G8 against the hover-cars of the future in 40 years. Meaning: It's all relative in terms of classic cars and those who can fully appreciate them. I suppose that another moral to the story would be that it pays to enjoy what you're driving. Don't put off until tomorrow what's feasible today.
You could always install a Flux Capacitor!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #21
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by YancyJohns View Post
Things I hated about my 2009 G8 GT:
-wheel to adjust the drivers seat
-all control; radio, a/c, heat and defrost-for left hand driver never switch to right hand
-gas milage on 10% ethanol
-no I-pod adaptor
-19k tradin value

Things I hate about my Camaro:
None
---------------
The wheel to adjust the seats is pretty damn ridiculous.

Dunno what you mean about the controls, mine are all in the middle of the center stack (or on the steering wheel) - so it would be the same for left/right hand drive. Maybe the GT is different.

Haven't had to use 10% ethanol yet, hope I never have to.

I'm pretty sure your 09 had an ipod connector - mine has it (and I'm in just a sedan), just about every car since 07 has one.

Trade in value sucks on new cars no matter what, no arguments there.
---------------

My biggest complaint about mine is that it's a V6, I bought it recently and there weren't any V8s out there to get. Now I realize that I should've bought a V8 if I wanted more power, but I honestly thought there would be some mods available for it to get me up into the 300s.

Turns out the only mods available are from OZ and are untested/unproven on the G8. I'm hoping some of the mods from the V6 camaro will translate over to my car.

I'm glad you decided to keep your car. It'll be a rare collectors item in a few years, and it's no slouch in the handling/performance department (there's a reason car mags compare the G8 to BMWs). When you pay it off you'll have two fun cars to drive instead of one, it'll be worth the wait.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #22
YancyJohns

Drives: Camaro Performers Magazine
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
---------------
The wheel to adjust the seats is pretty damn ridiculous.

Dunno what you mean about the controls, mine are all in the middle of the center stack (or on the steering wheel) - so it would be the same for left/right hand drive. Maybe the GT is different.

Haven't had to use 10% ethanol yet, hope I never have to.

I'm pretty sure your 09 had an ipod connector - mine has it (and I'm in just a sedan), just about every car since 07 has one.

Trade in value sucks on new cars no matter what, no arguments there.
Look at your controls, yes there in the center but left side has the clock, info, asm and eq. Right side has the radio power,cd, band and aux. Power for the a/c is on the right and rear defrost on left. Holden/GM never switched them from Austalia.

Yes your right, it has a line in for an I-pod but not a usb interface I pod connection that you control from your radio controls. I've almost wrecked trying to change a song.

Hey, I liked my G8 but I like my Camaro better, especially the HP and the Stick. Good luck on your decision making.
Camaro Performers Magazine SS/RS- 416 stroker, MagnaCharger TVS2300, DSE Sway, Baer 6S Brakes, Forgeline Wheels, BFG Rival, JBA Long tube/Exhaust, Center-Force Clutch, BMR-sfc,ta,tr, Energy Suspension poly kit, ADM CAI & Fuel pump, Norris PCV/Tune, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, DSS 9" rear ind rear, Innov. West pulleys/8 rib, Pedders Super cloil-overs, MGW shifter,/Seibon/ Anvil carbon Fiber. Owner-American Street Car Series and as seen on R U Faster than a Redneck?...lol
YancyJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
Thrillz

Drives: 2012 Charger R/T / 2012 Dodge Ram
This will be bugging you forever and will have nothing but regrets. Just sell the G8 and be done with it imo. Yes the G8 rocks its an awesome machine best pontiac ever built imo just it aint no camaro thats for sure. My wife wanted me to get the G8 as i have a family of 5 she said we cant all fit in it at the same time i said exactly ;o)
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
You only live once and you never know what the future brings.... Sell the g8, get your camaro.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote