Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Bo Yo
 
Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 25
ABM I don't get it

So I ordered an SS in ABM last week never having actually seen the color in person. My decision was based on a majority of the pictures I've seen on this site. They all look very blue, which is what I wanted. But I happened by a dealership today that had some cars(HHR) in ABM and they looked almost green! It was very teal. Too much for my liking. Why is the image so blue when captured by a camera?

Anyway I immediately called my dealer and switched my color to IBM. I think I'll be happier in the long run. I'm not sure I could handle that ABM for more than a few months. Just not my cup of tea.

Chevrolet, are you listening? Make Stryker Blue available on the camaro or bring back Electron Blue.
Bo Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Yo View Post
So I ordered an SS in ABM last week never having actually seen the color in person. My decision was based on a majority of the pictures I've seen on this site. They all look very blue, which is what I wanted. But I happened by a dealership today that had some cars(HHR) in ABM and they looked almost green! It was very teal. Too much for my liking. Why is the image so blue when captured by a camera?

Anyway I immediately called my dealer and switched my color to IBM. I think I'll be happier in the long run. I'm not sure I could handle that ABM for more than a few months. Just not my cup of tea.

Chevrolet, are you listening? Make Stryker Blue available on the camaro or bring back Electron Blue.
It's due to the picture format being used. When pictures are captured and posted in jpeg format, it is a compress picture. The actual color and detail of light gets lost. The only way to get close is to capture in raw format, then convert to jpeg for posting ..... RAW format does not use compression, the pics are huge but the amount of detail is crazy good.....
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem
 
TripleB's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ABM Camaro A6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lakewood, California
Posts: 5,795
i think the ABM on the HHR is different looking than on the camaro though...from what i've seen in person. the camaro is amazing looking in ABM!!
__________________
TripleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,183
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
A number of reasons...your monitor...their camera...and....the big one....especially with this color:

The lighting!!!!!! It "pops" in the sunlight, but in other than that, it tends to be very teal looking.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
anthonybyram
 
anthonybyram's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mexico,mo
Posts: 562
How about GM Jetstream blue? That a hot color AND its already on the Corvette!
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,043
ABM on the Camaro is ridiculously different and i dont know how.
Ive seen ABM in person on the Camaro on March 16th and was Blown Away! I never thought that colour would look that Great!
Everyone i know loves ABM!
I would change back to ABM or atleast try to locate a member near you with ABM, it is truly a GORGOUS colour!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
KJS

 
KJS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cut Throat, NY
Posts: 1,695
You need to see the color on the car you are purchasing. The lines and cuts on the Camaro highlight the hues differently than that of a vehicle with softer lines and curves.
__________________
"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" - Me

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,504
Stryker and Jetstream Blue... It should have been one of those. ABM is VERY teal in certial lights. It only really looks good if it is clean and sunny out. Other wise it looks teal...

Good move on the switch!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail
 
VenomZ302's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It's due to the picture format being used. When pictures are captured and posted in jpeg format, it is a compress picture. The actual color and detail of light gets lost. The only way to get close is to capture in raw format, then convert to jpeg for posting ..... RAW format does not use compression, the pics are huge but the amount of detail is crazy good.....
That's mostly true, but I had wondered the same thing until I took pictures of my car with a flash. I wasn't looking through the viewfinder and, as soon as the flash went off, the entire side of my car turned the exact same blue that shows up in the pictures. So I think it's really a mixture of the two in certain pictures.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
It only really looks good if it is clean and sunny out. Other wise it looks teal...
In your opinion... 90% of the time, I look at my Camaro and see a deep, darkish blue. And it's been raining for the past week or so.
__________________

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!


2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Banshee
Institutionally Insane
 
Banshee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 2,113
I like ABM over IBM. Have seen them both in varying lighting and the ABM with white or silver stripes really set the car's mood.

IMO IBM is too blue for the lines of the Camaro.
__________________
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail
 
VenomZ302's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
IMO IBM is too blue for the lines of the Camaro.
IMO, IBM is too black, period... Shame, too, since I like navy blue cars.
__________________

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!


2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Scrappy Doo


 
Scrappy Doo's Avatar
 
Drives: Taylor Made M1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: W8n 4 Snow, Minnesota
Posts: 4,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
IMO, IBM is too black, period... Shame, too, since I like navy blue cars.
Yup.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Bo Yo
 
Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
A number of reasons...your monitor...their camera...and....the big one....especially with this color:

The lighting!!!!!! It "pops" in the sunlight, but in other than that, it tends to be very teal looking.
I agree with that assessment. Of course the problem is, it isn't always sunny. Some of the pictures I have seen in low light show it as pretty teal. And I saw the HHR in total sunlight yesterday. I also saw the Impala. Both looked teal.

If they do come out with Stryker next year, I can always trade up. But I'm not feeling that blue off the Saturn either. I'm going to stick with the IBM for now.
Bo Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail
 
VenomZ302's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Yo View Post
I agree with that assessment. Of course the problem is, it isn't always sunny. Some of the pictures I have seen in low light show it as pretty teal. And I saw the HHR in total sunlight yesterday. I also saw the Impala. Both looked teal.
If my opinion is worth anything to you, I've compared my car side by side to an HHR in the same color. The HHR appeared to have more green in it. I also parked near an Impala that turned out to be Aqua Blue Metallic and I thought the paint looked gross.

Do you live anywhere near South Carolina? I'd be happy to show you my Camaro. Otherwise, I'd definitely suggest you try to find an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro somewhere convenient before you make the decision.

Of course, ultimately the decision is yours. It doesn't truly make a difference to me, but I'd like to help, if I can. For that matter, I can also post some of the .RAW images I've taken since getting the car if you'd like.
__________________

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!


2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABM not getting canceled in Canada? iyam_lorne 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 22 10-25-2009 05:57 PM
abm or sw? THAT is the question... haleyd Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 61 08-19-2009 09:44 AM
Anyone in Dallas Metroplex have an ABM SS 91Z28350 USA - Texas 2 08-09-2009 07:16 AM
What color bowtie on ABM? DDustiNN Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 10 07-18-2009 10:23 AM
ABM vs. CGM Indpowr 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 05-18-2009 02:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.