Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums -
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
HaveBlue's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 488
Exhaust Questions for GTAHVIT

Sorry for the delay. Pre-SEMA gets crazy. It's the same time every year, but everything is always last minute.

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT


Maybe you should start you own thread on this... In that thread, not this one, maybe you can answer a couple questions.

How does the CA statndard apply to the rest of the country... and wouldn't this standard apply to any and all afermarket products that alter the stock exhaust or any product that isn't 50 state legal?



The post in the BBK thread was the CA version of the new Cat laws. The primary difference between the tow is CA now requires a stamp on the part if it's sold in CA, and more paperwork. The rest is pretty much the same.

They are both spelled out in plain English on MagnaFlow's Converter website.

49 State Law


Here is the 49 State Version

1) 49-State EPA Policy 2) California EPA Policy

EPA 49-State Policy on Sale and Use of Aftermarket Catalytic Converters.
A. ENFORCEMENT POLICY (General Requirements)
Regulated parties shall install new or used aftermarket catalytic converters on motor vehicles only if the converters are represented in writing by the distributor or manufacturer to have been tested according to the procedures in the Federal Register / Volume 51, No. 150 / Tuesday, August 5, 1986, and to have met the performance criteria specified. “Regulated Parties” means any person engaged in the business of repairing, servicing, selling, leasing or trading motor vehicle engines, or who operate a fleet of motor vehicles.

New or used aftermarket converters that meet the performance criteria specified in the Federal Register / Volume 51, No. 150 / Tuesday, August 5, 1986, may be installed in the following situations.
If the vehicle is missing a converter.
If a state or local inspection program has determined the existing converter has been lead-poisoned or damaged or otherwise needs replacement; or
If the vehicle is more than eight years old or has more than 80,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement has been established and documented.

In order to establish and document that the circumstance permitting replacement of an original or missing converter with an aftermarket converter meeting the required performance criteria exist; the installer must include the customer's name, complete address, and the make, model, year and mileage of the vehicle on the service invoice and on the warranty card (enclosed with the converter from the manufacturer), along with a stated reason for replacement.

Where a state or local government has determined that a converter is damaged or needs replacement, the service or repair facility must also retain a copy of the written statement or order by a proper government representative which indicated that the converter should be replaced. This should then be attached to the invoice.

Where the replacement need has not been verified by a proper state or local government representative, the customer and a representative of the service or repair facility must sign a statement which may be contained on the invoice or separate document verifying that replacement is justified. A printed statement (As seen at right) is included in each converter carton.

Installers must retain copies of the invoices and statements (as seen at right) for six (6) months, and the replaced converters (if any) for at least 15 days from the date of installation of the replaced converters. Replaced converters must be marked in such a way that they can be identified with particular customer invoices and statements and be available for EPA inspection.

Persons who install or sell aftermarket converters that do not meet the criteria and conditions specified in the Federal Register / Volume 51, No. 150 / Tuesday, August 5, 1986, may be considered liable for tampering or causing tampering.

Furthermore, the EPA has issued the following installation requirements.
The Converter be installed in one of the three situations outlined above.
The Converter be installed in the same location as the original converter(s).
The Converter be the same type as the original converter (i.e., oxidation, three-way or three-way plus oxidation).
The Converter be the proper one for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer.
The Converter be connected properly to any existing air injection components on the vehicle.
The Converter be installed with any other required converters for a particular application.
The Converter be accompanied by a warranty information card to be filled out by the installer.

Text Courtesy of MagnaFlow

and wouldn't this standard apply to any and all afermarket products that alter the stock exhaust or any product that isn't 50 state legal?
Yes that is correct. The laws are Federal. Verification of compliance for vehicle registration varies by state. But the law doesn't change.

Unless the parts used on such vehicles carry a CARB E.O. number or are represented by the parts manufacturer to not cause an increase in emissions, owners (or installers) who use any add-on or modifying emissions-related parts can be found in violation of the Clean Air Act and CARB certification requirements. Following are ways an emissions-related parts manufacturer can make a representation that parts are emissions-compliant. Parts retailers should also be aware of these basic guidelines:
(1) The part is a “direct replacement” for the OEM part it replaces. This means it must be functionally identical and, therefore, not cause an increase in emissions.
(2) The part has been exempted from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Codes 27156 and 38391. This means the part (or parts) will carry a CARB Executive Order (E.O.) number, representing that the component does not cause an increase in emissions. The presumption here is that the part has the potential for increased emissions (not a direct replacement) and must pass CARB E.O. emissions requirements.
(3) The part meets requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) policy document Memorandum 1A.
By definition, meeting this requirement means the aftermarket part will not be found in violation of federal anti-tampering laws, thereby making it legal for sale and use in all states except California where the CARB E.O. described in (2) above is required.
Courtesy of SEMA

Here is a link to different states requirements and testing procedures.
"everyone wants to go to heaven. but nobody wants to die" "you gotta pay to play"

HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Magnaflow Exhaust buddylok Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 49 05-16-2016 11:02 AM
axle back vs catback exhaust kozzmo49 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 43 03-28-2012 09:27 AM
V8 Corsa Exhaust in stock and available V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 3 10-29-2009 08:28 AM
exhaust cutouts Vs. Diverters ZeeTwentyFour General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 2 07-10-2009 08:23 PM
(UPDATED) Stainless Works exhaust and header systems!! (Tag's SS w/ HP #'s) Milk 1027 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 162 07-09-2009 06:39 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.