Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
grkjet

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS
Screeching sound coming from right front passenger Wheel

Hello everyone, I don't post here often but on New Years Eve as I was driving back home my right front wheel started screeching. I'm unsure of what it is, and I have made an appointment at the chevy dealership to get checked out. I have two questions, if anyone can answer. First, Does anyone know what it may be? and two, is it safe enough to drive it to the dealership which is probably 20 minutes away.

Thanks in advance
grkjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Did you check for a body, they tend to make screeching sounds...
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
grkjet

lmao!! I behaved I swear. Just a nice dinner with my girlfriend
Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Is there ice where you are? could be ice build up. My guess is defective wheel bearing or seized caliper. A seized caliper will heat up everything connected to your brake rotor. So you wheel will be piping hot if its seized, happened to me once. Just grinding noise with no heat I would guess a defective wheel bearing, okay to drive on, but should be replaced asap if driven too long can be very dangerous.

Could be something weird too, but couldn't really tell without test driving it.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Fieryfight

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT IBM Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Rejected View Post
Did you check for a body, they tend to make screeching sounds...
I was leaning towards the screening passenger approach but that works too
Fieryfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Was the car pulling to the right? dragging the front tire?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
This happened to me once. It was a pebble stuck in between the brake shield and the disk brake. When the car moves the brake disk will rub against the pebble and the brake shield will amplify the sound.. try backing up the car and if it does not dislodge it you need to physically take it off. hope this helps

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, Falken RT7 wheels, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Mine did this a while back and finally figured it out that it was one of my break caliper covers rubbing. a little tug and all good!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
How many miles on the car? Constant Squeal or is it Happening when braking or more when turning??? Does it Change tone at all when you turn or Break? Do you fell anything in the steering wheel (vibration ,Pulling, Clunk)? The more info the better.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
Mine did this a while back and finally figured it out that it was one of my break caliper covers rubbing. a little tug and all good!

Ok, part of that did not sound right!

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
rydahog

Drives: 2012 SS 45th..Auto
tow truck to dealer, also should be towing on your ins. policy..
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 Black
You may need your brake pads replaced. The audible wear indicator will contact the rotor as the pad lining diminishes . It's the pads way of telling you "hey, I need to be replaced'' .

Last edited by Rockhead; 01-07-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
trashmanssd

Most likely or should I say, I would feel comfortable driving it 20 miles to the dealer as long as you don't have or it develops a very noticeable shake in the steering wheel. Just use caution and judgement drive slow and stay off highway, and be ready not on the phone or distracted and 2 hands on the wheel in case you loose a wheel. I have driven 2 plus weeks on a bad wheel bearing heard it squealing, jacked it up checked wheel had bit play in it, but well i wanted to fish that weekend instead of fixing it so waited till next weekend by which time had nice wheel wobble at 50 MPH hour steering wheel was shaking enough to be visible noticeable.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
grkjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
How many miles on the car? Constant Squeal or is it Happening when braking or more when turning??? Does it Change tone at all when you turn or Break? Do you fell anything in the steering wheel (vibration ,Pulling, Clunk)? The more info the better.

7,000 miles its a 2012. It squeals only in motion. Reversing or in drive. I haven't driven it enough to tell whether the steering wheel is pulling. I think i felt some vibration through the steering wheel.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
grkjet

After calling Geico, the chevy service shop, and AAA, I am basically stuck driving the car tomorrow morning to the dealership. I guess I will just drive with my hazards on and drive super slow. I'm hoping its more along the lines of the rotors needing to be replaced or a pebble. A defective wheel bearing or seized caliper sounds more serious.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
grkjet

Also, the car was driving fine and then all the sudden I made a right turn and then noticed this squealing/screeching sound. Ever since then, I have had calypso (my camaro's name) parked because I am scared of further damaging her.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #17
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Most likely needs new brake pads. They may have worn out prematurely due to a stuck caliper or some other reason.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
One of the more obvious answers several of us missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
You may need your brake pads replaced. The audible wear indicator will contact the rotor as the pad lining diminishes . It's it's way of telling you "hey I need to be replaced'' .
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #19
grkjet

Thanks for all the responses guys. Hopefully the issue will be resolved and I could get back on the road.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #20
trashmanssd

with that low of miles shouldnt be to serious dont get to worried 30 mph and stay alert you will be fine. let us know what was i am so curious
Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
grkjet

Will do. I'm interested to know what it is myself as the screeching makes it sound serious
Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkjet View Post
Hello everyone, I don't post here often but on New Years Eve as I was driving back home my right front wheel started screeching. I'm unsure of what it is, and I have made an appointment at the chevy dealership to get checked out. I have two questions, if anyone can answer. First, Does anyone know what it may be? and two, is it safe enough to drive it to the dealership which is probably 20 minutes away.

Thanks in advance
grkjet,

Sincere apologies about this screeching sounds and I understand any frustration this causes. While I notice that you're seeking thoughts and opinions, you're welcome to keep us updated on the service process. Feel free to contact us if additional assistance is needed.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #23
trashmanssd

Did everything go ok on your ride to the dealer today?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #24
grkjet

ok so back from the dealer. Apparently it was a splash guard that was hitting the tire or wheel or something and it was making that screeching sound. But they fixed it an it was under warranty so all in all i'm glad that I have my baby back to full health. Thanks so much to all for giving their input.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #25
grkjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Did everything go ok on your ride to the dealer today?
The drive was fine. Screeching like crazy, and people looked at me wondering what it is but all in all i got there ok, and the problem was fixed. Thanks!