Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-01-2016, 02:12 AM   #1
Chf.BurninGlass

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Running rough, Service Stabili Trak Message, CEL Light

Alright guys I need some help here.

2010 Camaro SS LS3 6sp. Manual - 99,750 miles.

Here is the original issue:

Monday the car was driving fine, later that day while sitting and idling in park the car just in the blink of an eye started running like shit. Rough idle, car shaking like hell, CEL Light came on and started flashing and the Service Stabili Trak message popped up along with all the traction control lights. I drove it home across town and then drove it to get it scanned by Autozone. Came up with a cylinder six misfire and the suggested fix was replaced the fuel injector. I drove it home and posted on another camaro group what was going on and searched the forums. The causes ranged from bad plug or plug wire to a broken valve spring to a bad intake gasket. Below is the step by step process I have followed to find the cause.

1. Unhooked the battery for 15 minutes to see if it would clear the codes. This did not work. Issue remained.

2. Took the cylinder 6 coil, swapped it with the cylinder 1 coil to see if the misfire would follow the coild and it be a bad coil. Issue remained so I took it to have it scanned again. Came up again as a cylinder 6 misfire.

3. I bought new spark plugs, old ones were terrible and looked like they had never been changed. Changed plugs. Started it and it ran great. Backed out of my drive way, drove it 20 feet and it started running like shit again and every message popped back up. So drove it around the block and back home.

4. Thinking maybe it was a bad cylinder 6 plug wire, we swapped the cylinder 6 plug wire with the cylinder 3 plug wire. Issue remained so I drove it back down to Autozone to have it scanned one more time. This time it did not read cylinder 6 misfire, this time it read as a random misfire.

I am at a loss at this point. Some how we changed it from a cylinder 6 misfire to a random misfire. That tells me that its not an injector or a busted valve spring or a bad intake gasket as some people are insisting is what is causing this. If it was any of that i would think no matter what we did it would continue to read as a cylinder 6 misfire and not change to a random misfire after we mess witg it. Am I wrong? Could it still be something along those lines? Should I just replace all the plug wires? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Chf.BurninGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im thinking replace plug wires,after 6 years of underhood heat they are probably bad.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
You didn't really rule out anything but the coil and plugs. "random misfire" is a code set when the engine realizes there is a misfire but has not had enough data to determine exactly which one is the concern. Simply moving things around isn't going to do you any good unless you can determine which cylinder is missing. A bad plug wire will run the same regardless of which cylinder it's on, but the miss will follow it. Find a scanner that can watch live misfires, the cylinder that has the most is the culprit, you may get some residual "misfires" on other cylinders but it won't be anywhere near the misfire count as the dead misfiring cylinder. It very well could be a valve spring, injector, lifter, or anything related to that cylinder. So until you get the PCM to tell you which cylinder is dead missing, or a live data scanner you're going to be spinning your wheels and replacing parts.

edit: just a thought, but you know which one is cylinder #6, correct? (third one back on the passenger bank)
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Chf.BurninGlass

Yes I know that the third one back on the passenger is cylinder 6. That was where the original scan said the misfire was. Only after we changed the spark plugs and moved a plug wire did it go from cylinder 6 to random. I replaced the plug wires today and the issue remained. A buddy of mine said I could bring it to his shop on Monday and he has one of those expensive snap on scanners that will monitor the car while running. Hopefully then I will be able to pin point the issue. If it is something as bad as a lifter or valve spring what kind of damage am I looking at?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Hopefully it's a spring, that can be easily fixed. A lifter, not so much, you'll be removing a head.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Chf.BurninGlass

Well I appreciate the input. All I can do at this point is wait until Monday and hook her up. I guess an upside to this is if it is a spring and I need to tear it down, I'll be getting my upgraded Springs, cam and a tune. I'll definitely post on here Monday what we figure out.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
Fredryberg

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
What was it?
Fredryberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredryberg View Post
What was it?
Bronchitis
Old 07-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
lol that old thread revival...bet anything it was the plug wires...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 push-rods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane motor mounts - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & bushings - 1LE axles - tune by RDP dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block - Daily Driver - 114K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'--- BFG Comp-2 Street Tire/stock size on ZL1 reps(20x8.5)(20x9.5)---DR's Nitto NT05R(305/45) on Motegi MT120 18x9.5..12.6 at 111 - 1.8 60'
All upgrade work performed by me...
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Fredryberg

Only reason I started it back up is cause I am having same problem. But it stays misfire on cylinder 8. I'm dumbfounded
Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredryberg View Post
Only reason I started it back up is cause I am having same problem. But it stays misfire on cylinder 8. I'm dumbfounded

Were you the member that had a broken pushrod?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Fredryberg

Yes I am gonna be putting a camera in the hole and sticking the pushrod back in soon. Picked it up from stealership today.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
sixty9fordkiller
bowtie junkie

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
damn man. hopefully it was just a bad pushrod. Ive never seen a pushrod bend/break without some type of binding/interference that caused it. What does the rocker and spring look like?