Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
LS3 Intake valve issue

LS3 Intake valve issue.

Anyone experience the tip of a two piece hollow stem LS3 valve coming apart?
Attached Images

Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
If anyone happens to come across this post and has had this issue, please let me and Stefano know.

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
If anyone happens to come across this post and has had this issue, please let me and Stefano know.
Tell us more like what you experienced before the failure, what sounds you heard etc.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
608RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Tell us more like what you experienced before the failure, what sounds you heard etc.
it was President's Day (Feb 20th) and i was off work. It was 60 degrees and i was coming home from lunch, had the windows down and the music was up. I was doing about 45-50mph and all of a sudden i felt my shifter shaking violently (i honestly thought i lost a gear as i've been in a car when this has happened before). I put on my hazards and put the car into neutral. I was able to safely coast & turn onto a side street. By the time i was able to look down at my dash again, the motor had stalled. I didn't hear any sounds at all over the wind & music.

**Edit forgot to mention i am on stock valvetrain, nor has my motor been split-open yet for any internal work

Last edited by 608RS; 03-10-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
While there is always that 1 in a million case, based on research here on the web most valve train failures occurred due to the rocker failing...

What is the current setup on your heads? Stock or what did Nickey do tot he car? Get pic's of the rocker tip and the stand...did the rocker move off the tip causing this? Needs more info and pics....peace out

btw - I have seen pic's of the LS7 titanium valves failing like this because somebody forgot to put the lash caps on, not your prob...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH Catted Mids - stock cat back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 pushrods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - tune by dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block -Daily Driver - 109K!
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
608RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
While there is always that 1 in a million case, based on research here on the web most valve train failures occurred due to the rocker failing...

What is the current setup on your heads? Stock or what did Nickey do tot he car? Get pic's of the rocker tip and the stand...did the rocker move off the tip causing this? Needs more info and pics....peace out

btw - I have seen pic's of the LS7 titanium valves failing like this because somebody forgot to put the lash caps on, not your prob...

FAST intake manifold / Roto-Fab CAI, 160* thermostat, Kooks Headers and a dyno tune. i am on stock valvetrain, nor has my motor been split-open yet for any internal work.

I've been denied warranty coverage and now i'm stuck fixing this myself w/NicKey (stuck as-in GM not helping so now coming out of my pocket.

Last edited by 608RS; 03-15-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
FAST intake manifold / Roto-Fab CAI, 160* thermostat, Kooks Headers and a dyno tune. i am on stock valvetrain, nor has my motor been split-open yet for any internal work.

I've been denied warranty coverage and now i'm stuck fixing this myself w/NicKey
Did the tune raise your RPM limit at all?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
608RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Did the tune raise your RPM limit at all?
we did not touch the rev limiter. The pushrod that was tied to this valve was not bent at all either (which would have indicated anytype of over-revving.)

Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
608RS

I couple things i wanted to post for clarity on this topic, since i haven't full explained this situation:

1) GM said "go **** yourself" to my entire powertrain warranty after dropping valve #4. I went back and forth with corporate & my local dealer on this issue for almost a month, in the end my mods + tune was the reason why my warranty is gone. My dealer did try to go to bat for me but in the end, Corp GM was the final decision-maker.

2) NicKey Performance has been nothing but a phenomenal support on this issue, and are doing everything within their power to help a guy out who is down on his luck.

3)It's just sad to see that regardless of what mods were done to my car, an LS3 with headers / intake / intake manifold & a conservative tune was not the result of my failure (nor were any pushrods bent to indicate an over rev). There are plenty of cars making 600+Hp on this site with zero issues. i dyno'd at 434hp.

3) NicKey Performance is the ONLY place that will ever touch this car (nor do i really have a choice anymore according to Chevy ). I thank NicKey every day i have interaction with them, and i can say that are helping me out in every way possible on getting my car up and running again.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
You are in good hands with Stefano. Tell him I said hello.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
It really sucks when things like this happen and even more so when it happens to such a loyal Chevy guy such as you!

Thanks you for the kind words, and hello to you as well Pete.

The tune, nor the redline or any of the work done to Anthony's Camaro caused the failure.

LS3s have hollow intake valves, in order to lighten them. They are made in two pieces. The tip of the valve is the other piece and it is friction welded to the stem. In this case the tip of the valve is missing, indicating an improper weld.

While we have seen this exact issue with LS7 as well as some aftermarket hollow stems prior, in rare and unique scenarios , we have never seen or experienced this with an LS3 valve.

We will help you get the Camaro back in order, bigger, stronger and more powerful than before.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #12
LVflyer

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Crimson red
Valve Failure

2014 SS RS. Converted L99 to LS3 with night fury cam, GM performace heads with 4000 miles on car. Work was done at dealer except for tune. 400 miles later #5 valve snaps clean just below retainer and goes through piston, cracks block. Fought with them for 6 monthe's. They cancelled drive train warranty and I had to buy new motor....
LVflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 AM   #13
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Question... I read in the past that changing thermostat on stock engines could cause more harm than good. These engines are meant to run at 190 (clearances etc) but I've seen lots of guys here with 160 thermostats seeking cooler engines.

Pulled this from another site -
"The problem with a low temp thermostat then for regular driving is that there are times when the car will be running at a temperature lower than it's design intended. The result is increased wear on the engine's internals. It's essentially the same as if you assembled the engine with clearances tighter than designed for because you didn't follow the directions or your tools were not calibrated properly."

I'm not saying this was the culprit but are you guys just ok with running lower thermostats regardless of the extra wear? I doubt a tune would help since it's the actual metals in the engine that would not be expanding to meet the designed specs.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
Cooler engine temps would primarily manifest itself in cylinder wall wear...this is the primary area affect by engine temps...any other metals in the motor that would expand or contract in this fashion would cause instant engine destruction...and the cooler engine has a lower mpg due to increase fuel consumption since the computer is tryin to keep the engine warmer unless this too is tuned out...by then the motor will/should have had the pistons replace with forged ones...peace out...

btw - the above has nutin to do wit OP's prob...like I said before looks like a 1 in a million(SUX!) failure...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH Catted Mids - stock cat back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 pushrods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - tune by dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block -Daily Driver - 109K!
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote