Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #426
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
I had the same issue as described by some.

It felt like the whole suspension was loose or worn out, it made a noise when driving on a pot hole and especially when making a small turn.

The car has only 10,000 miles !

I decided this morning to take it to a local garage. We put it up on the lift and checked everything thoroughly.

Guess what ? He said everything is fine beside one right tie rod bolt that connects to the sway bar that was not well tightened.

I took it for a test drive after that and I could hear it again, does that mean the noise is gone ? Is it fixed ? Maybe, cause I did feel the car's suspension was firmer and no more noise when driving on uneven paved roads. I suggest every one to go to their local garage or dealership, have them re-tighten every single bolt out there. I guess it's the same story with the loose bolts on the trunk spoiler that gets loose from time to time.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #427
FTLBS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black w/ Silver Stripes
The new steering rack was installed yesterday and the noise is still there. Again, I do appreciate the fact that the dealer is not blowing me off and telling me it's normal.

They are bringing in a "master mechanic" today to look at it. Not sure exactly what that means but I sure hope it helps.

In the mean time they have me in a 2011 Buick Lacrosse with 3k miles. It makes no odd sounds when going over bumps. The sticker price is 7k less and the quality feels 100% better just because of this noise. GM must accept the fact that there is a problem and provide a fix.
FTLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #428
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLBS View Post
GM must accept the fact that there is a problem and provide a fix.
This.

I'm sorry. I LOVE GM. I try to look at the bright side of things.

But a loud thunking, popping, banging, whatever you want to call it....and it seems from everyone's front RIGHT strut (on nearly all cases), means that there is something wrong.

Normal operation? Of course it's NORMAL.....because it hasn't been FIXED. Operating properly? Sure. It is operating how it was designed to operate. However, there is obviously a flaw in the design or there would NOT be a THUMPING in all of these cars.

I want my car fixed. Plain and simple.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #429
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Mine is in the left.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #430
Brolik10
BLOWN!!!

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
I've had both of mine changed out for new struts and YES the thud is still there...
Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #431
Johnblaze

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V-6
I have called GM to file a complaint, then my complaint was escladed to the next in line.
the represenative tells me that they know of this issue, many complaints, and they have no fix, including the 2012 models, same issue

I like my car, actually, one of the best overall (excluding the suspension noise)

I don't think we will ever see a fix for this issue, even the guys selling struts and springs on this forum don't know what the issue is

not looking good
Johnblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #432
FTLBS

After the "master mechanic" spent two days with the car, the issue has not been resolved and they want me to pick up the car. I miss my Camaro and want it back, but I cannot live with this issue.

I will pick it up and drive it again, and if I still hear the noise I will bring it back in two more times and then it's lemon law time, because as awesome a car as it is in most respects, I must come to grips with the fact that it is a lemon. Perhaps there is a reason why GM needed a bail out. QUALITY
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #433
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
I've responded to this topic before, and it may be in an older thread so sorry for a repost, but when Ford released the 2005 Mustang it had a similar problem. I briefly owned one, so I can attest to the noise. When going over bumps and especially expansion joints on the freeway the front suspension sounded like it was loose and made popping noises. There were numerous posts on forums about the problem, much speculation about what the problem was, and mainly futile efforts at correcting it. It ended up being the strut mounts and it took Ford over a year to come up with redesigned mounts and issue a TSB.

I understand everyone's frustration and disillusionment over the problem and I'm on the fence about purchasing a Camaro since this remains an unresolved problem. It is perplexing, since GM has to have an idea of what it is and certainly has the equipment to diagnose the problem. I'm just surprised that in over 2 years they haven't fixed it. Ironically, I rented a 2010 V6 Camaro over a year ago with 17k miles for the weekend and the suspension was quiet as a mouse. I was listening for this problem while driving it. Maybe the stiffer suspension on the SS is more likely to make the noise.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #434
FTLBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
FTLBS, here's hoping the new parts resolve the issue for you. If any of you would like to get into contact with our Customer Assistance team let me know and I'll get you all setup. Also if I come across any new documents in regards to this issue I'll make sure to let you know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Jeff,

I would like to get in touch with the Customer Assistance team.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #435
FTLBS

Just a thought...I wonder if there are other GM vehicles that use the same front suspension parts. For instance, wasn't the Pontiac G8 built on the Zeta platform? Can North American GM Engineers talk to Holden Engineers down under?

Another thought...to you aftermarket folks...can you work with GM on this? Perhaps design an upper strut mount that is quiet and sell to GM?

I dont' WANT to use the lemon law, but the basic laws of finance will not allow me to drive a $40,000 clunker.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #436
FTLBS

Final thought for the day...wouldn't it be cheaper for GM to resolve this issue quickly than absorb the costs of hundreds of guys like us bringing our cars in and having needless work done? I'm sure it cost GM a pretty penny to have my car for two weeks replacing parts and accomplishing nothing while I drive around in a rental.

There is also the good will aspect. Do they want Camaro owners describing their cars as "great except for the clunk"? I am baffled....
Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #437
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLBS View Post
Just a thought...I wonder if there are other GM vehicles that use the same front suspension parts. For instance, wasn't the Pontiac G8 built on the Zeta platform? Can North American GM Engineers talk to Holden Engineers down under?
Here's the problem with talking to the Holden engineers...The 04-06 GTO has numerous suspension issues from the factory. Designed, built, and shipped by Holden. I almost bought one until I realized how much I'd have to dump into the suspension in aftermarket parts to resolve the design flaws. This was one of my biggest concerns with getting a Camaro. I realize it's not the same platform but how many of the engineers overlapped the two projects??? Here's to hoping the aftermarket can eventually resolve this issue like they did for the GTO problems.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #438
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Put mine up in the air today.

Found one lower semi loose end link (right) which I got a 3/4 turn out of. Upper end link front right is tight, but spins slightly and won't stop spinning as I try to tighten it.

I also found that the lower rubber mount was nearly completely out of the bottom of the spring....like it worked it's way out from under the spring.

I ran out of time and had to put the wheel back on, drop the car, and get it ready to be driven to work. But, I want to get a 1/2 day, get the car in the air, remove the strut assemblies, check the lower rubber mounts to make sure they are in place, replace the upper mounts with the newly designed mounts, and replace that upper end link that spins and won't completely tighten down.

We'll see where we go from there.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #439
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Matt, could you send me a direct message with your name, address and phone number so I can get that case going for you? Thank you!

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #440
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
The only popping noise I have is the crappy endlinks the aftermarket Companies keep making, when I have the stock stuff on my car I hear absolutely nothing. Not everyone has that popping issue.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #441
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I need to get to an air wrench. I can't get the endlink nut off. I can't tighten it or loosen it. But, I grabbed the endlink bar (upper right) which connects to the strut and man, was it loose. Fingers crossed this is where all the noise is coming from. I'll keep y'all informed as to what happens.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #442
FTLBS

Wow....hope that's it "Tag Ur It".

I have my car back and it is as bad as ever. The dealer admits that there is a noise, but is unable to locate the source.

On my first oil change I will check my endlinks and everything else I can get at with only a floor jack.

Jeff from Cust Svc is getting a case going for me with GM. Hope that will help alert GM to the issue. There is strength in numbers...we all need to report this.