Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Get out the forks - The Challenger is DONE

Well, that's how I read it anyways.....I like the looks of the car - I'll miss it....but I'd never buy one..

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com..._blg=1,1337558

Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
coolman

I don't read that. What I read is the whole company will be lucky to make it to 2012.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I think the Challenger was slated to be a 4 year run anyway...and it seems the handwriting is on the wall for it.

I still think it is the best looking car on the road, but I was woefully disappointed when I drove an RT earlier this year. Had it driven/handled better, I would have bought it on the spot.

As it turned out, I got an SS Camaro and I am quite happy with it.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
If you've noticed, Chrysler isn't trying at all.

Look at GM and Ford. GM has the Camaro, Equinox, SRX, LaCrosse, Terrain, Malibu, CTS, GMT-900s, Lambdas...plus the CTS Coupe, Regal, Cruze, Volt, etc on the way.

Ford has the Taurus, Fusion, Mustang, F-series, MKS, Focus...

What does Chrysler have? A freshly redesigned Dodge Ram...Challenger's a sales flop, Avenger/Sebring are embarrassments...and there is barely anything to look forward to in the upcoming lineup.

Chrysler is done. I would expect them to be gone by 2012.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Maybe Fiat will adopt the challenger. but i doubt it. lets face it........the challenger only lasted a few years back in the day.........no reason to think it should last longer this time.

camaro and mustang will always be the top dogs and chrysler knows that.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Who needs them anyway? Never cared for Chrysler and don't need any of their products...bubye!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 10-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Hard to say what will happen here. People will not embrace Fiat because it is a foreign company..but yet chrysler needs them to stay afloat. To add to the mess, Chrysler line up of cars are not exactly knocking down doors, and Fiat left the US the last time with a very bad taste in everyone's mouths.

On the a brighter note, the Alfa Romeo is a nice car now..will be interesting to see how much of it make it to the US
Old 10-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Who needs them anyway? Never cared for Chrysler and don't need any of their products...bubye!
If you worked for them you wouldn't say that.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
The Challenger didn't last long the first time it came out, and I don't think that it will last long this time. Which is what makes it a good collectors car..
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
an end to an era

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Drives: The Imperial Army
The Challenger is on it's way to becoming a collectors car. I for one am kinda disappointed to see an American company on it's way out. Like what you like but sad thing indeed..imo
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
I think the Challenger was slated to be a 4 year run anyway...and it seems the handwriting is on the wall for it.

I still think it is the best looking car on the road, but I was woefully disappointed when I drove an RT earlier this year. Had it driven/handled better, I would have bought it on the spot.

As it turned out, I got an SS Camaro and I am quite happy with it.
Exactly my experience. I drove a Camaro, then I drove a Challenger. The Challenger didn't perform so I purchased the Camaro. My first non-Ford purchase and I LOVE IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
The Challenger didn't last long the first time it came out, and I don't think that it will last long this time. Which is what makes it a good collectors car..
That's what I was thinking... it may not be much on performance but it looks killer and if they kill the run with this years models, it will drive the price up. Might not be a bad speculation investment for someone who has the cash.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
If you worked for them you wouldn't say that.
True point, for them, I will be sad...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
I remember people saying this exact same thing about Chevy.

As far as the OPs comment, I'm not sure I read the exact same thing in that article. I've read other articles though that suggest strongly that they think Chrysler is going to die and simply become an overnight network for Fiat.

Chrysler/Dodge makes both some of my favorite and some of my least favorite products. I hope they figure something out and get a more desirable across the board product line before they die.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
was there something in there about the Challenger? because i didn't see it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #16
Dakota Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
Exactly my experience. I drove a Camaro, then I drove a Challenger. The Challenger didn't perform so I purchased the Camaro. My first non-Ford purchase and I LOVE IT.

That's what I was thinking... it may not be much on performance but it looks killer and if they kill the run with this years models, it will drive the price up. Might not be a bad speculation investment for someone who has the cash.
I too am a "Ford" guy...this is my first GM purchase. So far I love it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Marchionne . . . appears to be creating a vehicle lineup that stays true to Chrysler's blue-collar muscle-car and pickup roots while adding European-style vehicles
That actually sounds like the Challenger might make it in one way or another.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #18
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
If I recall. They were horrible cars originally. Rusting on the showroom floor and suspension issues. Weird ones. They bet on the whole pure retro look and it was too late. I think they should redo it and slowly get it away from the pure retro look . I wonder if the V10 version will ever make it.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #19
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
"yeah who needs them"...??? I'm guessing the ten of thousand of people that work for them or makes parts for them or that relies on them for their retirement check.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #20
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I absolutely did not get that feeling at all. However I did get the feeling that the current platform that the Challenger, Charger, 300 is based on will get phased out for something more european. As long as it has RWD and a big honkin V8 I say good on em! Maybe then their future "muscle" vehicles will actually handle as good as they look.

IMO Fiat is going to bring a level of design and quality that Hyundai is gaining right now, and Chrysler will start being able to pick up that low end luxury car buyer that is shunning away from them. Its nice to see long term plans, and I will be watching their progress over then next 10 years, as I can see this has the possibility to go very well.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
The Charger will make the cut before the Challenger. The Challenger just isn't a good selling car, and that is what Fiat needs to focus on... Not satisfying the very few people who want a very one-market car.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #22
Dakota Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The Charger will make the cut before the Challenger. The Challenger just isn't a good selling car, and that is what Fiat needs to focus on... Not satisfying the very few people who want a very one-market car.
I actually hope you are right on this one....a two door Charger could still be a hit. LIke this one..
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I think Fiat is just in the Chrysler deal to cherry pick technologies and will sell off Jeep and let the company die. Chrysler is hemoraging money and without a cash infusion from Fiat won't see 2012. Fiat is dead set against any cash changing hands.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Marchionne, who successfully revamped Fiat, appears to be creating a vehicle lineup that stays true to Chrysler's blue-collar muscle-car and pickup roots while adding European-style vehicles to attract a new, more white-collar customer.
I read this to mean that they plan on keeping the challenger. Maybe a revised challenger but we shall see.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I thought the Challenger was actually doing ok with decent profit. The sales figures were really low because production was very low because of various plant closures and slow runs?
Closed Thread