Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
After First Oil Change----WOW!!!!!!!!!!!



As I expected, it runs and sounds exactly as before. Dealer normally washes the car before customer picks up so, I dropped mine car off freshly washed so they didn't have to wash it and to avoid having the feeling of "wow this feels faster!" that you get after you wash your car.

Anyway, the TSB 09207 came up for my car. It consists of HVAC re-program, Check/relocate Engine Harness/heater hose, and check/replace rear spoiler nut. Dealer completed it. So far, I have not noticed any issues with the car unlike others that experienced issues after the HVAC re-prog was done. The engine harness and the spoiler nuts were already checked by me beforehand so I didn't expect the dealer would have to do anything.

Dealer also fixed the rice-krispies sound from behind the glove box per TSB. Dealer said it was pretty easy. I don't hear the sound anymore.

$95 for the oil and filter change. 8+ quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 Syn.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee
 
Hicompression's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post


$95 for the oil and filter change. 8+ quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 Syn.

OMFG! Seriously?....that's anal rape.
__________________
2010 RALLY YELLOW 2SS 6M
-OBX Longtubes FTW!
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,426
No rape. That's how much I pay for an oil change as well.
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead
 
Don O's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 12 miles East of Disneyland - Anaheim Hills
Posts: 547
Jeez, after my first free one, all oil changes will be done at Don O's garage.

Don O
Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
OMFG! Seriously?....that's anal rape.
you could say that but really, it is not that bad.

Dealer charged half an hour for labor so that is $47.50 for labor, and say it cost the dealer at least $25 for the 8 quartz of M1 synthetic and filter, and I had to pay 8.5% tax, disposal fee, etc. Sounds like a fair price to me.

Sure you can get a 5qt bottle deal of M1 synthetic and filter for $30 but you need 8 quarts so you'll have to buy two 5 qt bottles so that's $60! Then you calculate the time it takes you to change your oil and filter, the mess you gotta clean up, oil to dispose of, jacking up and down the car, etc. etc. etc. Not for me anymore. I used to change my own oil but I figured, it costs more to do it on my own than taking it to a pro.

Plus they check and top off your fluids, set your tire pressure, and generally look over the car for other signs of potential problems,

For me $95 is a GREAT deal. At the dealer, you go in, you make yourself a nice cup of coffee, you watch TV, read a car mag, look at the nice cars in the showroom, browse in the parts dept, relax, then 30 or so minutes later, you pay, they drive your freshly washed car up to you and you are on your merry way.

But i have 10 qts of M1 syn in my garage so I just might change the oil in the Camaro next time for just this 1 time. I have a car lift in my garage so it won't be too bad.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Banshee
Institutionally Insane
 
Banshee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 1,917
I picked up enough Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil1 filters for 10 oil changes at a cost of $41.25 for synthetic and Mobil1.

I will take $55 I saved, buy a 12 pack of Molson Golden, drop in a Zeppelin CD, spend 45 minutes relaxing in my driveway After allowing my oil to thoroughly (and properly) drain for 30 minutes. Then take used oil to Autozone for free recycle, and still have $45 left in my pocket.

Saved $550 over 10 changes, DIY. To me, that is worth 8 hours of my time.
__________________
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
tradosaurus
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
No rape. That's how much I pay for an oil change as well.
When you go to a dealer for servicing it's expected to pay high rates.

Maybe you are made of money but yes $95.00 for an oil and filter change is high. If I was to spend money on an oil change I would just go to a Quick Lube place that does specialized in oil changes and pay a lot less.

But I don't trust anyone else to change my oil and filter.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
When you go to a dealer for servicing it's expected to pay high rates.

Maybe you are made of money but yes $95.00 for an oil and filter change is high. If I was to spend money on an oil change I would just go to a Quick Lube place that does specialized in oil changes and pay a lot less.

But I don't trust anyone else to change my oil and filter.
Actually, lube places aren't that much less. I think what you don't realize is it takes 8 quartz of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. You might be thinking 5 qts of standard oil. And I highly doubt any lube place would know more about changing anything on a car than a dealer.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
fixxxer525
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 377
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Oil change is one of the simple things you can do yourself, next to pissing. Has America really gone lazy, no wonder there's a lot of obese people in the US. On the other hand, I guess people make more money than me. If you have the cash, go for it. Or next time come by my place give me $95 and 20min later, you can be back on the road.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
kismyss
 
Drives: CGM 2SS Roto-Fab CAI, Mach XL CAT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 252
My dealer in houston offers Mobil 1 Synthetic oil changes for 39.95 for the life of the vehicle when you buy the vehicle from them. They have a 30 min quick lube at the dealer. You know it's also a ploy to get you in there to do every possible thing to your car once your in there or even buy another vehicle but noone holds a gun to your head all you have to do is say no and thanks for the oil change. Freakin awesome deal. For non synthetic it's only 9.95 for the life of the car if purchased from them.
kismyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
Michael_Js's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 5,317
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Do it myself, in my driveway Enough oil/filters in the garage for 3 more. It's so easy to do, even taught my girlfriend how to do her own on her Tacoma!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
Oil change is one of the simple things you can do yourself, next to pissing. Has America really gone lazy, no wonder there's a lot of obese people in the US. On the other hand, I guess people make more money than me. If you have the cash, go for it. Or next time come by my place give me $95 and 20min later, you can be back on the road.
that would be be. I admit, I have gone lazy over the years. Believe me, I used to change the oil, coolant, etc. etc. on the previous 25+ cars and motorcycles I have owned and ENJOYED doing it. I even looked forward to going to the auto-parts store, buying oil, filter, etc. etc, jacking up the car, getting dirty, etc. etc. I loved doing it and the sense of accomplishment afterward.

Now, I have lift in my garage that I can drive the camaro on and do the oil change, etc. if I want to. The prob is, I just don't like getting my hands oily and greasy anymore I guess. And definitely don't want to deal with waste disposal. Going to the dealer for 30+ minutes for an oil change is a lot more convenient for me. $95 every 3 months or so is not a lot of money and does not hurt the wallet. It just all depends how one applies their time and money, that's all.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder
 
Mr Smith's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cartoon City, Nevada
Posts: 694
What? You mean you didnt pick up an instant 150 hp? They musta done something wrong...BTW....Nobody...I mean Nobody does anything to my car unless its a recall item...But if its worth it to you..its all good.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
What? You mean you didnt pick up an instant 150 hp? They musta done something wrong...BTW....Nobody...I mean Nobody does anything to my car unless its a recall item...But if its worth it to you..its all good.


No sir. It didn't feel faster or more powerful after the oil change. Next time, I will ask the dealer to use the "special oil" for extra hp.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder
 
Mr Smith's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cartoon City, Nevada
Posts: 694
Pull the fuse block, switch batteries, rotate the tires, and reset the oil change indicator three times....You got hosed and arent getting the full potential of your Camaro!
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Dealer charged half an hour for labor so that is $47.50 for labor, and say it cost the dealer at least $25 for the 8 quartz of M1 synthetic and filter, and I had to pay 8.5% tax, disposal fee, etc. Sounds like a fair price to me.
Holy crap what a rip off.

My dealer charges $10 labor for oil changes if you bring your own oil and filter (so will a lot of the quick lube places if you ask). You can go to Wal-Mart buy 1 5 quart jug of M1, 3 1 quarts and a filter for about $40 plus tax. Disposal fees are a scam, they "dispose" of the oil for free, and they can't charge sales tax on labor, just goods. So all in all I will pay about $55 per oil change.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #17
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Holy crap what a rip off.

My dealer charges $10 labor for oil changes if you bring your own oil and filter (so will a lot of the quick lube places if you ask). You can go to Wal-Mart buy 1 5 quart jug of M1, 3 1 quarts and a filter for about $40 plus tax. Disposal fees are a scam, they "dispose" of the oil for free, and they can't charge sales tax on labor, just goods. So all in all I will pay about $55 per oil change.
hmmm I never asked the dealer if they'd only charge labor if I bring the oil. I bought two 5qt bottles from walmart months ago for $22 each. Disposal fee is not much. I think $2 or $4. Shoot, if I did my own oil change, I would gladly pay someone $4 to take my dirty oil and filter for disposal.
I used to pay $200+ for an oil/filter change for my BMW M3. My mother and sister each drives a BMW and they are always complaining how much they pay for oil change. ($110) When I had Ducati, used to cost me $1k+ every 6k miles for oil change, valve adjustments, etc. I loved that bike but it was expensive to upkeep.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
hmmm I never asked the dealer if they'd only charge labor if I bring the oil. I bought two 5qt bottles from walmart months ago for $22 each. Disposal fee is not much. I think $2 or $4. Shoot, if I did my own oil change, I would gladly pay someone $4 to take my dirty oil and filter for disposal.
Well you could also do what a friend of mine does. He buys his oil at Wal-Mart but he's really paranoid about the oil leaking out of the pan and into his trunk when he is driving to auto zone to dispose of the oil so instead he does the oil change in their parking lot so all he has to do is walk in to dispose of it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence
 
PAUL SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Smallest State in the Union
Posts: 8,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
that would be be. I admit, I have gone lazy over the years. Believe me, I used to change the oil, coolant, etc. etc. on the previous 25+ cars and motorcycles I have owned and ENJOYED doing it. I even looked forward to going to the auto-parts store, buying oil, filter, etc. etc, jacking up the car, getting dirty, etc. etc. I loved doing it and the sense of accomplishment afterward.

Now, I have lift in my garage that I can drive the camaro on and do the oil change, etc. if I want to. The prob is, I just don't like getting my hands oily and greasy anymore I guess. And definitely don't want to deal with waste disposal. Going to the dealer for 30+ minutes for an oil change is a lot more convenient for me. $95 every 3 months or so is not a lot of money and does not hurt the wallet. It just all depends how one applies their time and money, that's all.
Call me a sissy, but I use nitrile or latex gloves when I change the oil or do any work on my cars. The city is happy to take my used oil for free, I just have to drop it off. A 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 Synthetic is $21.00 at WalMart when it is on sale. I'm getting older, but I will enjoy changing the oil on my SS.
__________________
BMR, CAI, DynoMax, Elite Eng., Hurst, Jannetty, Clear Image Headers & Hi Flow cats, Jet Hot, LSR, TSW, Vredestein
PAUL SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
dang it! You guys are making me do it myself next time and save me some $$. Ahhhhhh forget it, money I save, money wife will spend.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder
 
Mr Smith's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cartoon City, Nevada
Posts: 694
Man speaks the truth there...
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #22
Mayhem Matt
IS NOW SUPERBEE MATT!!!!!
 
Mayhem Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Orange CA
Posts: 607
Got my first one free from my dealership but 95$ isnt bad at all, they charge 150$ for an oil change!
__________________
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #23
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee Matt View Post
Got my first one free from my dealership but 95$ isnt bad at all, they charge 150$ for an oil change!
okay, now you done it. $150?!? SoCal dealers like to stick it to us!

Hey Matt. Wasabi dude? Lakers tonight bro!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #24
kelleyperformance
 
kelleyperformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 197
we charge $90

and even though dealers charge .3-.5 hours for an oil change, the techs are usually paid under a different rate than the $90-$110 labor rate. anything from a GM dealer from $90-110 isnt unreasonable, the M1 costs us a little over $6/quart- even in bulk orders. if your dealer is charging over $110, or got the oil cheaper (noticable if they really are charging half of $90/hr ) then RUN
__________________
kelleyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
2010 2-Tone


 
2010 2-Tone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jennings, La.
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I picked up enough Mobil1 and Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil1 filters for 10 oil changes at a cost of $41.25 for synthetic and Mobil1.

I will take $55 I saved, buy a 12 pack of Molson Golden, drop in a Zeppelin CD, spend 45 minutes relaxing in my driveway After allowing my oil to thoroughly (and properly) drain for 30 minutes. Then take used oil to Autozone for free recycle, and still have $45 left in my pocket.

Saved $550 over 10 changes, DIY. To me, that is worth 8 hours of my time.
It's not that much of a savings after you buy the filter, and the gas to and from the parts house. I'm just saying!!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Capacity LS3 Banshee Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 77 04-21-2014 10:19 PM
best synthetic oil to use hollywoodjose Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 130 01-26-2014 08:51 AM
Oil temp after change rtcage Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 11 10-21-2009 12:38 AM
Car "waking up" after oil change..is this due to the fuse pull? CamaroFemme 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 6 10-05-2009 03:44 PM
Major U.S. oil source is tapped KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 32 10-30-2007 09:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.