Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
larietrope
 
Drives: 214 AGM 1SS NPP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 225
L99 vs LS3 results

Any history on here of a 6 speed actually racing an automatic side by side and the results ?
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
OrangeChevyII
 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Forney
Posts: 719
Look at the fastest list, stick cars are faster.
__________________
2010 SS/RS SIM
First to run 11's (11.83)on a stock long block.
First to run 11's cam only
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
sweaver
 
sweaver's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' CAMARO SS2 LIVERNOIS BUILT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toledo OH
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
Any history on here of a 6 speed actually racing an automatic side by side and the results ?
The A6 still holds the fastest stock record
sweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,281
The L99 is easier to launch and has a lot of torque down low. It gets down the 1/4 mile just as fast as the LS3.
The LS3 has a top speed advantage past the 1/4 mile mark.

The official fastest bone stock 1/4 mile list speaks for itself.

1. Pave1 - 12.86 @ 107.70 mph, (L99, A6)
2. speedy6963 - 12.87 @ 109.08, (LS3,M6)
3. 8ty8 ls1 - 12.97 @ 107.61 mph, (L99, A6), (DA -433)
4. NineBall - 13.07 @ 109.07 mph, (LS3, M6)
5. Will69camaro - 13.09 @ 109.70 mph (LS3 M6), (DA +276)
6. 8secpumpgas - 13.11 @ 106.38 mph, (L99, A6)
7. Three-D - 13.25 @ 109.84 mph, (LS3, M6)
8. Matt (tunetime) - 13.25 @ 106. 42 mph, (L99, A6)
9. Foglin - 13.28 @ 106.8 mph, (LS3, M6)
10. Scottywheels - 13.28 @ 106.43 mph, (L99, A6)
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Without having a head to head match up it's still pointless...the best you could do is lineup the timeslips from the top 5 and compare them side by side... in the end it's a drivers race in good conditions and a win for th m6 in poor conditions (since the L99s appear to run much worse in high DA).
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
Without having a head to head match up it's still pointless...the best you could do is lineup the timeslips from the top 5 and compare them side by side... in the end it's a drivers race in good conditions and a win for th m6 in poor conditions (since the L99s appear to run much worse in high DA).
We've had many stock side by side races down here. Camaro Nationals last month and before that a 2010 Camaro night in 94 deg heat.

SGOS252382 is right on... not sure where you get the m6 in poor DA conditions from. We have the worst DA around in the summer.

Once you give them both a tune the A6 rules for sure...
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
kaler
 
kaler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: discovery bay,ca
Posts: 668
Top 10 fast times bone stock.
5-L99's
5-Ls3's
Top 20 fast times bone stock.
10-L99's
10-Ls3's

I dont think It could be much more even then that..INMO
kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
8secpumpgasdad
 
Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss rs a6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: neosho,mo.
Posts: 26
If you look at the top 20 you will see one LS3 is on the list twice.
8secpumpgasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
lawdogg149
 
lawdogg149's Avatar
 
Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calhoun, GA
Posts: 741
Who really is keeping there car stock though. Not many so LS3 baby..........................
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We've had many stock side by side races down here. Camaro Nationals last month and before that a 2010 Camaro night in 94 deg heat.

SGOS252382 is right on... not sure where you get the m6 in poor DA conditions from. We have the worst DA around in the summer.

Once you give them both a tune the A6 rules for sure...
The fact that a few of the 'better' passes on the top 10 list were done with bad DA (nineball for example) and A6 cars in similar conditions are much further up the list. There is an entire 'what's wrong with my L99' thread on here that pushes me to this conclusion as well. I could easily be wrong but all the information I have led me to that conclusion.
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8secpumpgasdad View Post
If you look at the top 20 you will see one LS3 is on the list twice.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go fix that.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,914
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Who really is keeping there car stock though. Not many so LS3 baby..........................
you say that as if the L99 can't be modded
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,670
Add a converter to your auto mod each car mod for mod and the M6 will never keep up.

I think that list is prett good look at how even these cars are. If either one stock has any advantage over the other it is not enough to make a difference, period. It will come down to the driver.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
Windy City

 
Windy City's Avatar
 
Drives: Not enough room here!
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 1,017
I know an auto that has kicked the dog s**t out of ever stick car it has come near!
__________________
BEWARE OF THE LPE BROTHERHOOD!
Remember: You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Hopkinator
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1 SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12
The LS3 has more potential. When the dust settles, I have to go with the LS3 and 6 . Autos are better for bracket racing.
Hopkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
The fact that a few of the 'better' passes on the top 10 list were done with bad DA (nineball for example) and A6 cars in similar conditions are much further up the list. There is an entire 'what's wrong with my L99' thread on here that pushes me to this conclusion as well. I could easily be wrong but all the information I have led me to that conclusion.
I'm confused as to what your conclusion is?.

The thread you refer to ended up being the Octane table 5/20 fuse pull...

My conclusion is their pretty dang close either way... Mods on either side are going to make the difference...

I have noticed one thing (maybe it's just me) but the L99s seem to have very consistent dyno numbers and LS3 had a bit more variance between cars. Nineball had very good numbers.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
BlackM6RS/SS
 
BlackM6RS/SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Benbrook, TX
Posts: 288
LS3 would would gun down the L99 on the street... LS3 has pulls higher trap speed therefore will run down a A6 IF they ran from a roll or from a stop if they ran past the 1/4.... but who races from a roll LMAO

ET=60ft time
MPH=Horse Power
__________________
10 Blk/Blk RS/2SS w/CGM Stripes
ADM H/C/I M6 480rwhp 435rwtq
FE4 LCAs w/Pfadt ZL swaybars Diff bushings Trailing arms Drop springs
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 23,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackM6RS/SS View Post
LS3 would would gun down the L99 on the street... LS3 has pulls higher trap speed therefore will run down a A6 IF they ran from a roll or from a stop if they ran past the 1/4.... but who races from a roll LMAO

ET=60ft time
MPH=Horse Power
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Last time I checked, reaction time aside, it was *always* et that won a drag race, not mph. Just like golf: drive for show, putt for dough...that's why we went with the auto. You can trap 200mph and only run 11.00, but the guy in the other lane that went 10.90 @ 120 is gonna get the trophy...but go ahead and brag to your girlfried how big your mph was, 'cause she's the only one that'll care!
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #20
OrangeChevyII
 
Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Forney
Posts: 719
I am 6 tenths faster then the next fastest guy and he's an auto car. Ls3 6speed FTW
__________________
2010 SS/RS SIM
First to run 11's (11.83)on a stock long block.
First to run 11's cam only
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
I am 6 tenths faster then the next fastest guy and he's an auto car. Ls3 6speed FTW
LOL...yeah, and you're *further* than that ahead of the next M6 car! Give it some time...

Great runs though, OCII...
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
DrumDawg
 
DrumDawg's Avatar
 
Drives: BumbleBee, 67 Firebird,79 Porsche
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 394
I thought the fastest (with proof) is an A6?
__________________
Ordered 9July09-2SS,RS,Transformer
1100 = Preliminary Order:7/13/09-NMGCZB
3000 = Accepted By Production Control-09/14/2009
3400 = Broadcast:09/14/2009
3800 = Produced:09/17/2009 2G1FK1EJ5A9147250
4000 = Available to ship 28Sept
4200 = Shipped-Rail-Detroit at 3AM on 5Oct, Departed for Miami, Ohio @ 3AM, arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio, 7 Oct 0749 arrived in Louisville Kentucky,at Kane Ave Tenn.@ 8:30PM,left for Wauhatchie, Tennesee 10Oct,Waycross GA10Oct,Jacksonville FL 11 Oct.
5000 = Delivered to the dealer 14Oct09
6000 = Delivered to the customer 17Oct09
DrumDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #23
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
I am 6 tenths faster then the next fastest guy and he's an auto car. Ls3 6speed FTW

You can't use that reasoning. The only way you could use that reasoning is if an L99 A6 was setup exactly like your car (same bolt ons, same weight reduction, same 200 shot, same wheels, etc). Then if your car ran 6 tenths faster, you could conclude that the LS3s are faster (mod vs mod).

Because when you look at track times in the modified categories, you're looking at who has the best setup (mod choices, weight reduction, tire and wheel combination, money available to spend, etc).

I'm sure if you had an L99 A6, it would be at the top of all the 1/4 mile list. I can only imagine how fast you'd be running in an equally well setup A6 with a high stall conveter in it?
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #24
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer
 
8ty8 ls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 769
i just reclaimed 3rd spot on the et fast list for bone stock last night...went 12.90 to a ls3's 12.92. they should be faster than us in the l99's, but their problem is that they cant get out of the hole as good as we can. i mean, i just pulled my first 1.88 sixty foot last night. i have yet to see a ls3 do that on stock tires....basically it comes down to consistency. the autos will forever be more consistent just because there's a computer controlling everything. we just push the pedal down and go. the manual cars, when driven to its highest potential, SHOULD always beat the automatics...
__________________

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
8ty8 ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
S8ER01Z
 
Drives: Camaro Z28
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Quad Cities
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ty8 ls1 View Post
i just reclaimed 3rd spot on the et fast list for bone stock last night...went 12.90 to a ls3's 12.92. they should be faster than us in the l99's, but their problem is that they cant get out of the hole as good as we can. i mean, i just pulled my first 1.88 sixty foot last night. i have yet to see a ls3 do that on stock tires....basically it comes down to consistency. the autos will forever be more consistent just because there's a computer controlling everything. we just push the pedal down and go. the manual cars, when driven to its highest potential, SHOULD always beat the automatics...
Very nice well done!!!
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List Merc Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 2626 Yesterday 04:08 PM
LS3 engine specifications Tran Wiki 3 10-06-2010 10:56 PM
LS3 Tune Only Results .. Also stock LS3 vs. L99 dyno graph LPFSTheFett Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 5 08-05-2009 07:04 AM
Check your Order here bvonscott Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 665 06-29-2009 01:00 PM
L99 engine specifications Tran Wiki 0 10-19-2008 11:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.