Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dynomax
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #76
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
noice....
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #77
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
could it be the new camaro Z26
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #78
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Who says the Z can't have 2 engine choices?
That will never happen.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #79
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
more then likely it wouldn't reach 500 tq but 500 hp it might. that's the biggest disappointment I would have if this is a Z. where's the torque?
It's not the Z but you know better than most here that torque is not what a Z/28 was originally built around. They had L78's and L72's for that.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #80
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I'm not sure jay had a lot to do with the engine, at least that's how I understood it.
WAAAAAAAAAAAY back, there was a video clip from Jay's Garage where he had a yellow pre-production v6. Jay said "it would be nice to see how it would be with a couple of turbos mounted to it".
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=730502
scroll through the videos, page 6. not sure if it can still be viewed.
R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #81
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
WAAAAAAAAAAAY back, there was a video clip from Jay's Garage where he had a yellow pre-production v6. Jay said "it would be nice to see how it would be with a couple of turbos mounted to it".
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=730502
scroll through the videos, page 6. not sure if it can still be viewed.
Don't overestimate Jays involvement and underestimate GM's engineering and design capabilities. He had no more involvement than the "disciples" had a few years back.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #82
2010cantwait
not waiting anymore

Drives: vehicles
Quote:
Who says the Z can't have 2 engine choices?

"base model" TT 6, upper tier supercharged V8

the z28 isnt a car by itself, it's a package for the chevrolet camaro.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #83
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Then you're not a fan of change.

and my friend...... change is good!!
Ohhh I can so jump all over that post but I'll behave....
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #84
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Like I said in another thread, I don't care if it's the Z, I want that front fascia!
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #85
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
That will never happen.
Crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #86
Hylton

Quote:
Crap.
That does not mean that this car is not a viable package. This car will leave us SS owners to suck it's exhaust fumes on a road course.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #87
Kamaro4437

Drives: 2 64 1/2 coupes and 66 fastbac
But what is the power on this motor? That would be interesting to know. Lots of nice changes like the functioning air scoops in the quarters and the turbonetics turbos. But i doubt any of that would see production especially turbonetics, the expense would be to great to the consumer. Nice car though. I dont have a doubt that this is nothing like what will be offered in the Z28. This is just a show car for Sema. Nice work but not applicable for the consumer. The Z28 will be a good car and i have no doubt it will be better than the current GT500. We will just have to wait. You can bet that it will basically be subtle changes to the body with a different powerplant.
Kamaro4437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #88
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Main thing is that this is just the beginning...
The great news is that this is such a cool platform and has so many possibilities

I think it is great that GM engaged Leno and came up with such a clean and smart design

We collectively need to get beyond the V6 vs V8 mentality.

It seems clear here that GM is trying to leverage this to create excitement on V6 platform which has been overshadowed so much by V8

Tuning the V6 may give a way for better performance while avoiding gas guzzler territory which would happen when pushing the V8 into the 100hp/L territory.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #89
mitchell87

Drives: 2010 Silverado 6.2L
Well it looks like she is putting down about 425 according to Jay, sounds pretty good. I wonder how she runs?
mitchell87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #90
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
Regardless, it's a pretty decent set up and would be nice as a factory option. I would prefer that it wasn't the Z28 but having a Z28 is better than not.

The "Z": BBK Intake, 85 MM Power TB, Smooth Bellow, SLP Lid, K&N, SLP Panhard, Strut Tower Brace, Spec Stage 2+ Racing Clutch, MSD Wires, Performance Exhaust
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #91
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Why are so many assuming this is a Z28? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But to me, it just doesn't make sense for it to be produced by GM as a Z28. First, power. The closes approximation of this engine at GM is the turbo 4 from the Cobalt SS, which is also direct injected and has a high specific output. It makes 130 hp/L, scale that up to 3.6L and you are looking at about 470 hp. I can't see GM pushing power much higher than that because of reliability and emissions, which Jay Leno doesn't really have to worry about.

Second is weight. Doing an Z28 like this would possibly save around 75 lbs vs using a V8. Thats the approximate weight difference between the actual V6 engine and the LS3/L99. The rest of the weight difference between an SS and an LS/LT comes from beefing up the suspension and driveline, which would have to be more or less the same for any Z28.

So you end up with a ~3875 lb V6 car with 470 hp instead of a ~3950 lb car with a 550 hp V8 with the same suspension, transmission, etc. Which one will perform better, and which has more potential? Not to mention the cost of developing a new engine vs using an existing one.

A more rational explanation is that Jay thought it would be a cool idea to take a V6, add twin turbo, then throw on the lower fascia from Z28 renderings/TF2 bumble bee, and a hood reminiscent of 4th gen Z28s. And it really is a cool idea. The car looks nice, and that package should perform very well. Its a very interesting car, but Z28? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Don't overestimate Jays involvement and underestimate GM's engineering and design capabilities. He had no more involvement than the "disciples" had a few years back.
This is the third 1 off car that Jay has gotten GM to build for him, that I know of. There was the street legal C6R a couple years ago, more recently he got them to make a turbine powered car which was designed by Ed Welburn and had a bunch of Corvette parts, and now this. Wish I had the money and fame to do that ...

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #92
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Why are so many assuming this is a Z28? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But to me, it just doesn't make sense for it to be produced by GM as a Z28. First, power. The closes approximation of this engine at GM is the turbo 4 from the Cobalt SS, which is also direct injected and has a high specific output. It makes 130 hp/L, scale that up to 3.6L and you are looking at about 470 hp. I can't see GM pushing power much higher than that because of reliability and emissions, which Jay Leno doesn't really have to worry about.

Second is weight. Doing an Z28 like this would possibly save around 75 lbs vs using a V8. Thats the approximate weight difference between the actual V6 engine and the LS3/L99. The rest of the weight difference between an SS and an LS/LT comes from beefing up the suspension and driveline, which would have to be more or less the same for any Z28.

So you end up with a ~3875 lb V6 car with 470 hp instead of a ~3950 lb car with a 550 hp V8 with the same suspension, transmission, etc. Which one will perform better, and which has more potential? Not to mention the cost of developing a new engine vs using an existing one.

A more rational explanation is that Jay thought it would be a cool idea to take a V6, add twin turbo, then throw on the lower fascia from Z28 renderings/TF2 bumble bee, and a hood reminiscent of 4th gen Z28s. And it really is a cool idea. The car looks nice, and that package should perform very well. Its a very interesting car, but Z28? I don't think so.

This is the third 1 off car that Jay has gotten GM to build for him, that I know of. There was the street legal C6R a couple years ago, more recently he got them to make a turbine powered car which was designed by Ed Welburn and had a bunch of Corvette parts, and now this. Wish I had the money and fame to do that ...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #93
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
There is just no way in hell that is the Z/28 if it is a V6. That just completely goes against history and tradition.
Yeah, it is missing two cylinders...but you are missing something: Z28 was about a high reving engine and a handling package. It was a 302 DZ motor that was light weight and spun like a top when the accelerator was depressed. The Z28 did NOT use the biggest engine on the shelf - in fact it used the smallest V8 they offered in the first gens...so your argument of using ONLY the 6.2 or L99 engine is bogus.

That body is stunning.
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #94
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Just caught a GM release on this car, via autoblog. They claim it is a 'pre-emtive strike against eco-boost Mustang' in their article.

The Jay Leno Camaro

Powered by a twin-turbocharged version of the 3.6L direct injected V-6 that is standard in Camaro LS and LT models, Leno's Camaro blends high performance with surprising efficiency in a racing-ready package. A pair of Turbonetics T-3 turbochargers blows through a custom air-to-air intercooler, force-feeding the engine about seven pounds of boost and lifting its horsepower level to about 425. That's about 40 percent greater than stock and in normal driving (when the turbochargers aren't making boost), there's virtually no penalty in fuel economy over the non-turbocharged 3.6L engine.

"Jay's Camaro offers style, performance and efficiency in a big way," said Dewar. "It delivers the power of a Camaro SS on demand, but with the fuel economy of a V-6."

Supporting upgrades for the turbo system include a larger-capacity Be-Kool radiator and a custom exhaust system, as well as a Centerforce-supplied clutch and pressure plate for the six-speed manual transmission. The tubing for the turbo system is powder-coated blue. The powertrain was designed to deliver consistent, controllable power for both the street and race track. In fact, road racing was a primary mission for the car during its development.

Additional vehicle also support its racing intent:
  • Brembo six-piston brake package
  • Pedders coil-over lowering kit
  • New front fascia with custom fog lamps and integral brake cooling vents
  • Air extractor-style hood
The exterior styling of Leno's car is the most radical of all the Camaro concepts at SEMA. The front fascia and hood are one-off creations, as are the unique upper and lower grilles and the ground effects package (including a rear diffuser). The heritage-inspired vent styling in front of the rear wheels has been replaced with functional brake cooling ducts.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #95
chevy454

Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
Yeah, it is missing two cylinders...but you are missing something: Z28 was about a high reving engine and a handling package. It was a 302 DZ motor that was light weight and spun like a top when the accelerator was depressed. The Z28 did NOT use the biggest engine on the shelf - in fact it used the smallest V8 they offered in the first gens...so your argument of using ONLY the 6.2 or L99 engine is bogus.

That body is stunning.
Actually, they put the 283 in a few '67s for export...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #96
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yeah - and they thought this car was the Z28... Loosing a little credibility.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 11-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #97
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post

That body is stunning.
I know it used smaller engines. It would be bogus for them to produce a car that is supposed to be in the GT500's competition level, only to be destroyed by it if they went ahead and gave it the Z/28 emblem. That twin turbo V6 will not compete with a Ford's supercharged V8.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #98
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I know it used smaller engines. It would be bogus for them to produce a car that is supposed to be in the GT500's competition level, only to be destroyed by it if they went ahead and gave it the Z/28 emblem. That twin turbo V6 will not compete with a Ford's supercharged V8.
But that's assuming GM will go straight after the 500. I hope they do, but I agree that a TTV6 is not a way to go. That thing would have to get pretty strung out in order to get to the same level of power as that 500; what - that car dyno's at something like 500+ RWHP...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #99
SVT_SRT

Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
*CLASSIFIED*
I decided to do some investigating. I can't disclose my sources but what your are looking is the Z/28's (shell). The engine and Jay Leno are apparently being used to throw people off. If GM admits this is the Z/28 and when it will be produced they will lose interest in the Current SS model of the car. GM doesn't want people who are going to be buyng a Camaro this year say I'll wait a year for the Z/28.

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #100
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
But that's assuming GM will go straight after the 500. I hope they do, but I agree that a TTV6 is not a way to go. That thing would have to get pretty strung out in order to get to the same level of power as that 500; what - that car dyno's at something like 500+ RWHP...
The GT500 is one fantastic piece of machinery, saying this it is very far ahead of any other Mustang before it. I actually juggled the idea of buying one a while back, but it only came in a manual and I wanted an automatic because of my drag strip intrests and what not. So I'm waiting on the Z/28's specs to be released to know rather to buy that, or go ahead and get the HPE550 package. IMHO, it would be a stupid mistake for them to put anything other than a LSA in the new Z/28.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote