Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #101
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
*CLASSIFIED*
I decided to do some investigating. I can't disclose my sources but what your are looking is the Z/28's (shell). The engine and Jay Leno are apparently being used to throw people off. If GM admits this is the Z/28 and when it will be produced they will lose interest in the Current SS model of the car. GM doesn't want people who are going to be buyng a Camaro this year say I'll wait a year for the Z/28.
LOL - It's not classified now!!! LOL. I think that's a brilliant idea to gauge interest and see what people like; or don't. With exception to the hood, it seems like that car is getting great responses. Give me a big SC'd V8 and I'd be all over that car like stink on sh*t.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #102
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
*CLASSIFIED*
I decided to do some investigating. I can't disclose my sources but what your are looking is the Z/28's (shell). The engine and Jay Leno are apparently being used to throw people off. If GM admits this is the Z/28 and when it will be produced they will lose interest in the Current SS model of the car. GM doesn't want people who are going to be buyng a Camaro this year say I'll wait a year for the Z/28.
.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #103
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The GT500 is one fantastic piece of machinery, saying this it is very far ahead of any other Mustang before it. I actually juggled the idea of buying one a while back, but it only came in a manual and I wanted an automatic because of my drag strip intrests and what not. So I'm waiting on the Z/28's specs to be released to know rather to buy that, or go ahead and get the HPE550 package. IMHO, it would be a stupid mistake for them to put anything other than a LSA in the new Z/28.
I hate to admit it but if Z28 doesn't compete directly with the GT500, I'm serisouly going to think twice about finding a 500 instead... Please don't make me do it GM
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #104
SVT_SRT
 
SVT_SRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
.
Thats exactly what I said when I heard from my SEMA source. GM can't hype up the Z/28 too much or they will lose sales on the SS. This is why GM is having a hard time realesing stuff. I trust my source but hey we are still going to have to wait and see.



I say we kidnap Leno and not release him until to he tells us the truth!
__________________
2009 GT500 11.3 @124.7 (CAI/pulley/tune/xpipe) 560/558

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #105
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
Thats exactly what I said when I heard from my SEMA source. GM can't hype up the Z/28 too much or they will sales on the SS. This is why GM is having a hard time realesing stuff. I trust my source but hey we are still going to have to wait and see.
Yup.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #106
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I hate to admit it but if Z28 doesn't compete directly with the GT500, I'm serisouly going to think twice about finding a 500 instead... Please don't make me do it GM
I agree.....






Now on a serious note.... Are you saying you would switch over if the Z/28 doesnt compete directly or are you saying you would switch over if there is no model that competes directly?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #107
2010SLVRBULIT


 
2010SLVRBULIT's Avatar
 
Drives: G5 & C6
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MARS
Posts: 6,799
..I just want to see the front fascia, hood, rear panels, and spoiler on the GM parts list!
hopefully under my X-mas tree this year!
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #108
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,979
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
*CLASSIFIED*
I decided to do some investigating. I can't disclose my sources but what your are looking is the Z/28's (shell). The engine and Jay Leno are apparently being used to throw people off. If GM admits this is the Z/28 and when it will be produced they will lose interest in the Current SS model of the car. GM doesn't want people who are going to be buyng a Camaro this year say I'll wait a year for the Z/28.
Sounds reasonable enough. I'll believe it when I see it, but on the surface I don't see why that couldn't be true.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #109
SVT_SRT
 
SVT_SRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 203
Hmm where have we seen the wrong engine in a car before. Ohh yea the camaro concept had an LS2 in it. History repeats itself. Come one GM plz let us know!!! If you wait too long my GT500 will have a lot of miles and hinder its trade-in value.
__________________
2009 GT500 11.3 @124.7 (CAI/pulley/tune/xpipe) 560/558

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #110
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I agree.....






Now on a serious note.... Are you saying you would switch over if the Z/28 doesnt compete directly or are you saying you would switch over if there is no model that competes directly?
Both - I think. I keep going back to potential; and that car has loads of it. Will I be able to use that potential? No - I can't go to the track everyday. Will I have the money to find that potential? No - not after buying the car. I just go crazy from time-to-time thinking about Z28
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #111
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,365
Ooops just noticed I left out the word Camaro.... It was supposed to say No Camaro model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I just go crazy from time-to-time thinking about Z28
I hear that!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #112
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,979
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
Hmm where have we seen the wrong engine in a car before. Ohh yea the camaro concept had an LS2 in it. History repeats itself. Come one GM plz let us know!!! If you wait too long my GT500 will have a lot of miles and hinder its trade-in value.
How is your resale value GM's problem?
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #113
SVT_SRT
 
SVT_SRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Orange, FL
Posts: 203
Because ill pay less tax on my Z28 =).
__________________
2009 GT500 11.3 @124.7 (CAI/pulley/tune/xpipe) 560/558

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #114
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
Because ill pay less tax on my Z28 =).
I like the way you think
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #115
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
I adore the looks of it, but if it keeps the same engine set-up I'll be getting the HPE550 kit.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #116
fredbo
 
Drives: black 2010 LS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: mississippi
Posts: 187
forget all the z28 talk... when will we able to twin turbo our v6's???
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #117
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The GT500 is one fantastic piece of machinery, saying this it is very far ahead of any other Mustang before it. I actually juggled the idea of buying one a while back, but it only came in a manual and I wanted an automatic because of my drag strip intrests and what not. So I'm waiting on the Z/28's specs to be released to know rather to buy that, or go ahead and get the HPE550 package. IMHO, it would be a stupid mistake for them to put anything other than a LSA in the new Z/28.
why stupid to put anything other then the LSA? why couldn't they put the LS9 or a direct injection engine in it that puts out close to if not the same number on the sheet? seriously the lsa isn't the BEST option. it's a good one but not the best.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #118
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
why stupid to put anything other then the LSA? why couldn't they put the LS9 or a direct injection engine in it that puts out close to if not the same number on the sheet? seriously the lsa isn't the BEST option. it's a good one but not the best.
The LS9 is a supercharged variant of the LS3, same as the LSA. The LSA offers the smaller supercharger, a single heat exchanger, along with other smaller differences from the LS9. It would be the best considering it would be cheaper than dropping a LS9 in there.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #119
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post


The LS9 is a supercharged variant of the LS3, same as the LSA. The LSA offers the smaller supercharger, a single heat exchanger, along with other smaller differences from the LS9. It would be the best considering it would be cheaper than dropping a LS9 in there.
BUT the ls9 has forged internals and can withstand higher amounts of boost. why would I skimp out on a pure performance car for an engine designed for luxury performance? the camaro is a pure performance machine not like the CTS. the CTS is luxury performance and as such should get the lsa which has a quieter engine and built for the guy that isn't truly going to see the full potential of that car. price is the only reason they would choose to put the lsa over the ls9 in the camaro. but think of it this way the more ls9's they build the cheaper the ls9 will be come.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,979
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
Because ill pay less tax on my Z28 =).
Ah, I see. Well in that case, stop driving your GT500 and buy a 1991 Cavalier (or similar POS). They won't go down in value unless the price of scrap goes down. And neither will your GT500 since its not being driven. Win win, right?

No? Hmm. Never mind then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
why stupid to put anything other then the LSA? why couldn't they put the LS9 or a direct injection engine in it that puts out close to if not the same number on the sheet? seriously the lsa isn't the BEST option. it's a good one but not the best.
Maybe not the best, but 'optimal' might be more appropriate
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
BUT the ls9 has forged internals and can withstand higher amounts of boost. why would I skimp out on a pure performance car for an engine designed for luxury performance? the camaro is a pure performance machine not like the CTS. the CTS is luxury performance and as such should get the lsa which has a quieter engine and built for the guy that isn't truly going to see the full potential of that car. price is the only reason they would choose to put the lsa over the ls9 in the camaro. but think of it this way the more ls9's they build the cheaper the ls9 will be come.
The only way I could see an LS9 coming in at the expected price point is if the engine (and rest of the drive train) were the only changes, and the rest of the car (including suspension) were decontented down to an LS. But that doesn't sound like a Z28. Though I can think of another Z which would suit such a car ...
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #121
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Though I can think of another Z which would suit such a car ...
Amen to that.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #122
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,345
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ah, I see. Well in that case, stop driving your GT500 and buy a 1991 Cavalier (or similar POS). They won't go down in value unless the price of scrap goes down. And neither will your GT500 since its not being driven. Win win, right?

No? Hmm. Never mind then.


Maybe not the best, but 'optimal' might be more appropriate

The only way I could see an LS9 coming in at the expected price point is if the engine (and rest of the drive train) were the only changes, and the rest of the car (including suspension) were decontented down to an LS. But that doesn't sound like a Z28. Though I can think of another Z which would suit such a car ...
I totally disagree with a supercharged Z and you know that. I would prefer a direct injection setup (smaller displacment higher out put) but the general concensus is that it will be FI. so with that I have to play devils advocate and play the LS9 card.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #123
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
BUT the ls9 has forged internals and can withstand higher amounts of boost. why would I skimp out on a pure performance car for an engine designed for luxury performance? the camaro is a pure performance machine not like the CTS. the CTS is luxury performance and as such should get the lsa which has a quieter engine and built for the guy that isn't truly going to see the full potential of that car. price is the only reason they would choose to put the lsa over the ls9 in the camaro. but think of it this way the more ls9's they build the cheaper the ls9 will be come.
It's not like it going to be the same exact engine. It's not like they are going to get a CTS-V, tear out the motor, and just put it into a Camaro beside it and slap a Z/28 badge on it. They'll mess with it, and I'm sure they can take off the sound restrictions. Plus they'll have to mess with the tune to increase HP to compete with the GT500. If we get the LS9, it's not going to be anywhere near as powerful as the ZR1's.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #124
bolteon593

 
Drives: 2011 GT500
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern california
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_SRT View Post
*CLASSIFIED*
I decided to do some investigating. I can't disclose my sources but what your are looking is the Z/28's (shell). The engine and Jay Leno are apparently being used to throw people off. If GM admits this is the Z/28 and when it will be produced they will lose interest in the Current SS model of the car. GM doesn't want people who are going to be buyng a Camaro this year say I'll wait a year for the Z/28.
either your source is close to someone in gm or ....



wait a second, i got yelled at about all this last time we talked about a significant z28 topic by #3.

i should stop talking right now.








i should.





really.






(when was the last time we got show bits a pieces of parts of things that may or may have no turned into a camaro..... hmmmmmmm, maybe history does repeat itself?)
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #125
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.