Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 11-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
ColorBlind

Drives: 09 G8 GT, 84 Z28 HO, 96 IROC
Question 6 speed vs paddle shifters

Before I ask my question let me give you some info. I plan on purchasing a new Camaro 2ss in the spring. I plan on using the car as a part time daily driver and also take it to a near by road course for some fun. I know the Camaro may not be the best car for a road course but I dont care as much about lap times as I do enjoying what I drive. I enjoy Camaros!!! Here is my question. Should I purchase a manual or an auto with the paddles? I have never driven a car with paddle shifters so I know NOTHIING about them. I know that overall the manual 6 speed would probably be the best thing for the track, BUT, Im not as young as I used to be and driving in traffic can get old with a manual. Especially when you have a life long ankle issue like I do. I have visited this site for a long time enjoying all of the members knowledge. I thought it was about time I asked the people that know the the most. The people that drive the cars. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
ColorBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
First, welcome!

This debate goes on forever on this site. It's really personal preference and what would make you happy. I can't speak about the paddle shifters since I've not used one on the Camaro. You state it won't be your DD, however, you also state you will be driving it in traffic. I would have bought the A6 in a minute if I had traffic in my commute - daily or otherwise. Oh, she is NOT my DD! I ride a GSX-R750 and I'm not too old for that!

I think either would work just fine on the track and setting the auto to performance mode would give you the best in all scenarios. I love the M6, and I know I would be terrible at racing it on the track, but that won't stop me from taking it on the track.

So again, what would make you happy in the short & long run? They are both great products!

Good luck! Enjoy the wait on this great site!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Welcome! If your health allows get the stick, if not go with the auto. I feel like I have
more control of the car with a stick, but I believe regardless of which you choose you
will have a blast driving your Camaro.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
I have the A6 with the paddles. Honestly they are a gimmick unless you plan on doing some sort of autocross or road circuit type stuff. You can't outshift the transmission they put in it for acceleration. In fact stock for stock if you look at the best times posted on this site it is very close A6 vs. M6. The M6 has to be hella fun but A6 is easier for us older lazier guys who use it as a daily driver in heavy traffic. Go with what makes ya happy because I am betting no one else on this site is going to make your payments for you...if they do let us all know who they are!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
ColorBlind

Drives: 09 G8 GT, 84 Z28 HO, 96 IROC
Thanks for all the suggestions. I love to drive a manual. It just feels like you are really driving a car rather than riding in it. BUT since I have never driven a car with paddles I wasnt sure how it would be. I guess I need to go drive one to find out. I have only driven a M6 so far. I just dont think I will be able to get the feel for the paddles on a test drive. This wont be my every day driver but I do plan on driving it a lot. We live in the mountains and travel a lot so as much as I love driving cars like this I am sure I will keep it on the road more than I plan to. Thats one reason I was considering the A6. Thanks again for your comments.
ColorBlind is offline   Reply With Quote