Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Which is better? Powder Coat or Paint for Brembos?

I want blue Brembos.

I want the blue to stick around for a while.

I'd have to take off all 4 tires, remove the calipers, strip them from their pistons, etc....sandblast them, and then have the powder coated.

I was told the powder coating would run $80 for all 4 calipers. I'd have to find the sand blasting on my own.

What do ya'll think? Any performance shops that can chime in and set me in a right direction?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i ain't really an expert, but i do believe the powder coat will be better in the long run than paint
Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

i hear this is the case too....but someone was telling me earlier that certain issues can arise when powdercoating...cracking, corners not being covered properly, etc.

It began getting me concerned as this was the way I wanted to go.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Powder coating it going to create the strongest bond for the *paint* in this case powder to stick to the caliper. The paint will be hardened and more resistant to rocks, and chips, and acid. Although over time it will be susceptible to possible fading.

If your powdercoating the calipers the proper way, is to completely disassemble the caliper and pistons, remove all seals. Sand/media blast, and then parts wash to remove any fluids or oils off the calipers. Then go to the powder booth to pre heat the material, coat, then bake, and cure. You then will also need some way to place the brembo sticker back on the caliper whether someone who makes a copy of the decal, or dealer may be able to find something.

80 dollars for all four is a little low in my estimate. But if they are offering, so be it.

You can also just spary the calipers and then clear coat them, and hope they hope up.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
If you want to color them Tag, I'd just paint them. You aren't building a for-show-only car and the trouble of getting these powder-coated just isn't worth it IMO. Get a paint for brake calipers that can handle the heat and just make a weekend project out of it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We have a customer with an Aston Martin Vantage and he thought silver calipers looked boring and the Aston Martin decal looked cheap. He asked that we paint them and CNC Vantage into them... he was very happy with the result and they have held up great to daily driving and road racing.

-Rick
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
why do you have to remove all of the seals for powdercoating?

Doesn't the powder cure happen ~400°F?... I am pretty sure that your brakes see well over 400°F just driving around town.

Rick - what kind of paint did you use?
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
why do you have to remove all of the seals for powdercoating?

Doesn't the powder cure happen ~400°F?... I am pretty sure that your brakes see well over 400°F just driving around town.

Rick - what kind of paint did you use?
I'm not sure what brand it was, but it was a normal automotive based paint.

-Rick
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Ive used paint on normal cast calipers that lasted for years...and only cost a few bucks for a can of high temp paint. I believe they make brake specific paint even though i used hi temp engine paint
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
According to Brembo...

You should be doing a paint over powdercoat... SO you would do a nice powder coat base whcih will stand up to the direct heating of the brakes, then you would be painting your final colors over that.

I will probably do a base coat of powder, then apply decals and paint over...that way it has a two color look with the lettering I want. I may then do a clear powder or ceramic clear over everything to seal it.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Some great info. Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
tones2SS

Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Thumbs up

Tag, my buddy owns a body/speed shop nearby and I asked this question one day. (He'll actually be building my '69 pro-touring Camaro when I get to that point in life!!!) Like someone had posted earlier, when the powder coat does begin to chip or peel away, it does so in larger pieces than paint. He said paint is the way to go because you can do a better job with paint and it will last just as long, if not longer. just make sure you go with someone reputable.
Hope this helps.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
powder coat, it does not chip real quick or fade fast like paint will
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Oh boy....looks like this is going BOTH ways FAST!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #15
RS/SS
The wait is over!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS IOM
I had red powder coated Brembos from a Dodge Viper on my Dakota and they look as good today as they did 5 years ago when I had them done. So my vote is for powder coating.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@Livernois View Post
We have a customer with an Aston Martin Vantage and he thought silver calipers looked boring and the Aston Martin decal looked cheap. He asked that we paint them and CNC Vantage into them... he was very happy with the result and they have held up great to daily driving and road racing.

-Rick
thats hot.. i want red calipers on my camaro too!
my other car has them and i think they make a car look like a performance car..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
I've used G2 caliper paint a couple of times. It comes with a can of brake cleaner. You simply stir the included hardener/accelerator using the provided stir stick then you brush the paint on after masking. They provide enough for two or three coats. The paint ends up drying very smooth and pretty quick with NO streak marks from the brush. The last time I did it was on my white 07 Suburban showing red through my 20" chrome Chevy rims and I thought it set it off good. They looked just like the Vantage painted ones shown above without any logo. I just rested my brake calipers on a tall bucket with newspaper underneath everything while keeping the brake line attached. The time consuming part was masking everything off with painter's tape because I'm a picky and like things done right. It's a little gruelling from start to finish, but gets it done. Also, G2 has all the colors. I've only used red. I'm choosing not to do it on my SIM because I'm keeping it all silver and black and I'm fine with the Brembo's in black with the stock logo.
I've seen the Brembo decals sold on eBay in various colors.
I bet blue calipers with some coordinated Brembo decals would look tight on Tags car!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
I've used G2 caliper paint a couple of times. It comes with a can of brake cleaner. You simply stir the included hardener/accelerator using the provided stir stick then you brush the paint on after masking. They provide enough for two or three coats. The paint ends up drying very smooth and pretty quick with NO streak marks from the brush. The last time I did it was on my white 07 Suburban showing red through my 20" chrome Chevy rims and I thought it set it off good. They looked just like the Vantage painted ones shown above without any logo. I just rested my brake calipers on a tall bucket with newspaper underneath everything. The time consuming part was masking everything off with painter's tape because I'm a picky and like things done right. It's a little gruelling from start to finish, but gets it done. Also, G2 has all the colors. I've only used red. I'm choosing not to do it on my SIM because I'm keeping it all silver and black and I'm fine with the Brembo's in black with the stock logo.
I've seen the Brembo decals sold on eBay in various colors.
I bet blue calipers with white Brembo decals would look tight on Tags car!

With these wheels...
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2009, 02:41 AM   #19
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Vewy noice! G2 only runs about $50 off the net and they do have blue. I know that www.tirerack.com sells it in all their colors last time I checked anyway. Just have to spend a little time on the masking everything. The rotors are easy... tape any kind of paper over a good section and spin the rotor so the paper is in your caliper area. ;-)
It's costing me $200-$300 just to get the chrome exhaust bezels on the ground effects powder coated black. I'm surprised they quoted you so low on powder coating the calipers with all the angles and corners.
Well, you've been helped with a few options so good luck. Looking forward to whatever your finished product is! Rock on dude!