Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
almhath

Drives: Camaro
How to disconnect OnStar?

So, how can I disconnect OnStar's ability to listen in, in my Camaro? I don't need to disconnect the whole thing; just (or at least) their ability to listen to speaking inside the car.

OnStar's ability to listen in is a problem for anyone who has had their identity stolen. Someone tried to steal mine, once. I stopped it.

I don't need to talk on the car's phone and have my own phone number; I talk on my iphone at will through the car's blue-tooth. OnStar can listen in at will.

I need to talk to lawyers. I don't know if it's private or not if I'm in that car. So I can't do it.

I need to discuss private medical concerns in the car, say, with doctors on the phone (for my charge or myself), and I don't know if I have privacy. It matters to me; it matters to others.

I need to give my, or my husband's, credit card numbers to others. I don't know if it's being heard or recorded. It's like listing my credit card on the internet with unsecure sights. Everyone says no one involved will do anything wrong, but how do you think things wrong happen? When people don't follow the rules.

And there are some other people who call me who, themselves, want privacy, and as a former social worker, I respect that. I would have to tell them I can't assure privacy while I'm in the car, and that'd stop the call.

I would like to know how to disable their ability to listen to me/us inside the car.

(I sure am feeling I made a mistake buying this car.)
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
1320junkie
Account Suspended

Drives: The Imperial Army
Well I hope you are ready for the responses you are about to get. And worst case scenario...just take the microphone out...but then what happens when you crash and cant talk to them, cell phone lost in crash etc etc...imo you are over reacting.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Camaro gal
is happy to be home :)

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Oh my my ok first of all don't say you made a mistake about the camaro because it has Onstar. This is the 21st century and it is there for your convience, not to steal your freakin identity. If you're this paranoid maybe you should be more worried about some dumbass keying your car or perhaps running a redlight and hitting you. Chill out and stop sweating it and driving yourself crazy
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
wullger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Please search for "tin-foil hat", and the other 30 posts on this subject where people are so paranoid they want to disconnect OnStar.

Please do everyone else a favor and take advantage of the 60-day return policy.

While you're returning the car, be sure to remove the battery from your phone, because you do know that the FBI can activate your speaker remotely.

I hope you paid for the car in cash as well, because the FTC is tracking your credit card's every move.

Oh, and learn how to not create multiple threads on the same idiotic topic.
3800: 7/28/09 #30334!! 4B00: 7/30/09
4200: 8/5/09
6000: DELIVERED! 8/18/09

Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Drives: 2007 Chevy Trailblazer
REALLY!? Onstar was a MISTAKE!? How about when your car gets stolen and they shut it down when the police are behind it? Or how about when you lock your keys in and need it opened? Or like Junkie said, your in a crash, you cell went flying, and you cant answer back? etc. etc. If you are that paranoid, should you even be TALKING on a cell phone, because you do know people can EASILY intercept those calls WITHOUT Onstar! Onstar is their as a convenience not to aid in someone stealing your identity. And if it really concerns, you really should stop doing EVERYTHING you do, computer, cell phone, tv, etc. because Big Brother (aka the GOVERNMENT) already listens in on ALL of that! So you should be paranoid someone working for the government is going to steal your identity as well.

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Old 11-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Or you have this problem:
Quote:
It's those damned aliens from Zeta Reticuli! They're inside the seats! Watch out, you may be absorbed into their inescapable cushyness!

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Ma'am.. do you ever proofread your posts before you post them for all the internet to see? You DO realize that this is a public site. Your IP address for your computer and by association your identity can be stolen just by posting what you just did in this very thread.

The internet is just as dangerous as your proposed incarnation of the onstar system. If you're so worried about identity and privacy.. why ARE you on the internet?

TO answer your question: No, there is no way to disconnect onstar without voiding your warranty and also damaging key systems in your car. As such with a voided warranty and damaged internal components, you may as well just scrap the car and get all 500 bucks for the scrap plastics, foams and metals you would have turned in.

So please relax, and chill.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
I dont understand all the sarcastic posts when people ask how to remove onstar, its personal preference, some people change the stereo, some people do engine mods, some people do weight reduction, some people dont want or need onstar

I would love to rip it out of my car as well, I havent used it one time and frankly am not as trusting of it as alot of you guys are, it can be great technology but unless I can see first hand whos hands its in I for one am not interested, ...............
Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
almhath

is this a site where it's sacreligious to say you don't want OnStar?

It's not paranoid to want privacy. How is a mike in your car different from one in your home? Why would you want that?

I am not an insecure driver who needs to feel OnStar is there to look after me. 30 people around me will have cell phones if a crash occurs.

I don't need them to unlock my doors. I keep a spare key where I can reach it on the outside of the car. And I've never even needed to use that, because am not a STUPID driver who locks herself out.

I am not worried about them having to recover a stolen car -- nor would I want a stolen car back ------ because I am not talking about dsabling such aspects of OnStar.

I just want to be able to talk with people about their private matters in private, as a social worker might, or to give my credit card numbers out, or speak with an attorney about private matters.....

Disabling OnStar's ability to listen in was a condition of sale. I was told it was done; I've learned it was not.

And I didn't purchase the 60-day return policy -- as I trusted the salesman.

I don't think I can return it, though I'd like to, and would if able.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

But your private matters aren't private ANYWAY. People are ALWAYS listening in. And if you can't deal with having it for the free 6 months, then I guess you all have a problem. No is saying you have to keep it forever. Onstar DOES NOT monitor EVERY SINGLE car that is out there, that's RIDICULOUS to think! If you think ANYTHING you do in your life, especially now after 9/11, is private, YOU ARE MISTAKEN my friends...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
almhath

Is the mike for OnStar same as for the Bluetooth?

I don't want OnStar to be able to listen in. I want to find and disable the mike for their pickup.

But

Is it the same mike that's used for my phone (my private phone) in the car that's used with the car's bluetooth?

And

Where is that mike located? Or those mikes?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #12
almhath

I don't have the 6 months (or a year) free with OnStar. The salesman told me he didn't even tell OnStar my name, didn't connect my OnStar with their service at all.

But then,

He is the same salesman who told me that their ability to listen in was disabled....

I think

(1) This is an example of someone in the system not doing what they're supposed to, breaking their agreement, and

(2) I am soooo gullible for believing him.

I should have never bought this car.

If I can disable their ability to listen in, I may keep it. But I'm ready to just take it back and leave it with them. I can't return it officially, because I don't have the 6 months return policy. I didn't buy it because I trusted the salesman about disabling OnStar's mike pickup. But I can't use it as my roving office.

I am sooooo mad.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
mic*
Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 AM   #14
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Then TAKE IT BACK, if its that much of a concern

Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #15
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
ever since 9/11 The government has been able listen in on cell phone convorsations and monitors the internets, and they now know that you know that they listen and know your IP address I would tread carefully!

no .. really... i didn't know people were this paranoid...I really had to LOL at this.

snip the wires that connect the rear view mirror to the roof area... but you might ruin your warrantee doing it.. not sure... also, if you sell it i'd make damn sure that you told the person that those wires were cut

2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, Black on Black LS3
Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #16
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I personally like the ability to call in and say 'please come cut me out of the car' if such was required, but I have to say, I think some of the hostility toward the OP is a little ridiculous. He bought the car. He can do what he wants with it for whatever reason he wishes, and I don't see why everyone's jumping all over him for that.

OnStar may be there for safety and convenience, but it should be his choice whether he wishes to have it available to him.

And come on...can you really not snip a wire and disable the mike?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
null_x86
I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Drives: 2003 Saturn Vue "Toy Car"
Send a message via AIM to null_x86 Send a message via MSN to null_x86 Send a message via Skype™ to null_x86
It's those damned aliens from Zeta Reticuli! They're inside the seats! Watch out, you may be absorbed into their inescapable cushyness! - Zabo

www.bmblb.us
910-358-0964

Rally Yellow w/ Black Stripes 2SS/RS 6 Spd Manual - Someday...
Perma-grin started 10-20-09
Future USAF 2nd Lt.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #18
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Listen in???? Do not hit the little blue phone and they won't.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #19
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
I personally like the ability to call in and say 'please come cut me out of the car' if such was required, but I have to say, I think some of the hostility toward the OP is a little ridiculous. He bought the car. He can do what he wants with it for whatever reason he wishes, and I don't see why everyone's jumping all over him for that.

OnStar may be there for safety and convenience, but it should be his choice whether he wishes to have it available to him.

And come on...can you really not snip a wire and disable the mike?

I read thru it a couple of times and it sure seemed like a lady to me. The only problem I have with OnStar is they won't locate my car after it was taken from my garage by my soon to be ex wife's friend. They told me a police report needed to be filled out............I go to the police and they say because I married this lady and Texas is a community property state they have their hands tied. I got back from driving 1200 miles and can't get a man out of my house because my wife had him as a guest.......so I'm pissed at OnStar and the Police for something I'm paying for but according to the law I can use. I'm getting over it and I love OnStar but they have their policy as do the police. I just want to hurry up and move to Tenn next year and be closer to my family. I'm not too worried about OnStar listening on my calls.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #20
SpeedDemon

Drives: 2002 ZTS Silver Focus
Onstar or no Onstar. That is the question. And this person said no. let them be. I am sure there is someway to disconnect them from listening in, it cant be all that complicated of a process.
Why do you people care why she is getting rid of it? good grief, who cares, its there life, let them do what though wilt and harm no one.

I personally am the exact opposite. I don't mind the government listening in. I have nothing to hide........lol.....even if i did they probably already know about it and monitor it anyways.lol.
As for personal matters and privacy, it can't really be all that private or personal if you are even talking about them with someone else can it?

As for Credit Card numbers, they can be stolen anytime you use them....ANYWHERE........for ANYTHING.........If you buy something online or not makes little difference, the cashier at the checkout stand at your local store could steal it just as easily......as someone online.

And you can all forget about not having your personal profile information online weather you like it or not. The government has all that stuff online,your work...etc....everything on file online. Even if you did not put it there....lol. hackers could still get it and steal your identity.lol Your identity and everything about you is already online wheather you like it or not. You do realize the RFID chip is in everything don't you? or will very soon be,
disabling the onstar might not help much. But i can see your point. pay close attention to RFID chips though, would be my words to the wise.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #21
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Frankly, I really wish I could get mine WITHOUT Onstar... That whole remote shut-down, listen-in thing would kinda make me feel like big brother was living in my trunk. I know it has it's benefits, but I just don't think the pros outnumber the cons...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #22
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almhath View Post
I don't have the 6 months (or a year) free with OnStar. The salesman told me he didn't even tell OnStar my name, didn't connect my OnStar with their service at all.

But then,

He is the same salesman who told me that their ability to listen in was disabled....

I think

(1) This is an example of someone in the system not doing what they're supposed to, breaking their agreement, and

(2) I am soooo gullible for believing him.

I should have never bought this car.

If I can disable their ability to listen in, I may keep it. But I'm ready to just take it back and leave it with them. I can't return it officially, because I don't have the 6 months return policy. I didn't buy it because I trusted the salesman about disabling OnStar's mike pickup. But I can't use it as my roving office.

I am sooooo mad.

I wouldn't go to that extreme, unless you have something to hide...

And besides, don't you think a rolling office is a bit dangerous? Please watch the road, or steer clear of me and my car...

I can understand the value you place on your privacy, I do. I can also understand your anger with being sold something different from what you were informed, but geez. Unless you've got somethin to say that big brother oughtn't hear, then just try and enjoy the car...

When I decide to start my revolution, I'll take my other Camaro

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #23
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Its like shaving your balls, its a personal thing. LOL. Seriously just undo the connector to the mirror. Easy like Lindsay Lohan.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #24
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
you dont have any privacy anywhere you go, trust me.

I know you're IP adress and where you are posting from. Trust me it's not that hard. You think there aren't already people listening to your conversations?

you seriously need to calm down.

and can you please tell me what model and color car you drive so I can avoid driving near you, when I'm back home. There's a reason talking on the phone and driving was banned. Even the handsfree sets are too much of a distraction.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #25
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
Its like shaving your balls, its a personal thing. LOL. Seriously just undo the connector to the mirror. Easy like Lindsay Lohan.
Do ya think Lindsay likes the shaved look? :tweetz:

Closed Thread

Tags
omg onoz!!!, paranoid, tinfoil hat, troll