Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
almhath

Drives: Camaro
People attacking me here over OnStar

Look at the mess I've gotten into here, the way people are attacking me over not wanting OnStar to be able to listen in.

My dealer/salesperson didn't keep my purchase agreement to disable OnStar's ability to listen in. My car is my roving office, putting some 30K a year miles on it. I have to use the phone. Most of what I do on the phone is confidential.

It's rather like the responses I'm getting here that are loud and attacking of me are generated from the same paranoia they profess to hate, that they have to make it loudly clear they don't hate or fear Big Brother, knowing Big Brother is listening in all the time....

But with me, it's not about the government. They know who I am and all about me. I used to work in the N.S.A., for goodness sake. I know better than most of you what they have on people, and also, to get my position, I had to have an extremely thorough background investigation by them... They know both my shoe size and why I prefer my style... They have everything.

It's about informational privacy and the importance of restricting it where able.

Someone tried to steal my identity once. I stopped them, but I've been tight with my information ever since, and reasonably so. In a world where information acquisition and sharing are more and more common, it becomes MORE important to restrict your information -- as there are many in life who would gather and use it inappropriately. One should NOT quit worrying about it and just allow it to flow freely...

Credit card numbers. Yes, anyone might steal them any day. But more will have the opportunity, if you disseminate it more than you have to. I've been criticized for not wanting to use it from my car phone because OnStar can hear it spoken.... But, then, why not tell the policy makers that it's okay to print credit card numbers on receipts? Afterall, it would be wrong for someone to find the receipt and use the number...

Legal matters: I shouldn't want privacy when talking with attorneys?

Private matters:
Do I really NEED to justify an interest in privacy?
Is there really the suggestion I'm a criminal if I want privacy?
Is desire for privacy the idea that I have something I want to HIDE?
That I'm doing something WRONG?
That I'm paranoid?

You know, I'm an old social worker, psychotherapist. I am someone who talks with people about (often) their very private matters. Why must someone be able to listen in? If 50 must be able to listen in (due to phone company technology, government...), then why must I voluntarily allow ANOTHER 50 (such as OnStar....) (Numbers here are conceptual, not actual.)

So:

If someone wants to feel they can call OnStar for a service, fine.

But if someone wants privacy, why not allow it? Why do I have soooo many people here attacking me over it?

Why are so many insecure, here, about my desire for privacy?

I don't feel there's a conspiracy to listen in on me.

But I do know from both my governmental and professional experience, that some people will act illegally and inappropriately with other people's information.

Goodness: to assume they wouldn't would be pure naivete.

I'm glad that some of you "have nothing to hide," that you never discuss anything in the car that you feel should be private.

But I have to discuss private matters on an ongoing basis in the car: medical things, legal things, financial things, or just personal things.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
If you need to discuss private matters in the car, it won't matter if you rip out your OnStar computer and use your phone, someone will still be able to listen in on your cell phone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I am sorry you are having a bad experience from some people here. There are some good people here.

As far as OnStar goes, they do not listen unless you request they listen (by pushing the blue or red button). Or, if your car is involved in a collision larger than just a fender bender.

Have a better day
Old 11-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
I had no intention of attacking you and I apologize if it came off that way, if it where me I'd contact your dealer and ask them exactly where the mic is and I'd personally remove it.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
coolman

I trying to understand don't get bad. So, your saying onstar listens to everyone driving around in their gm car to hear what they might be saying without you pushing the button to connect to them? Why would they do that?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I stopped posting on this site when I got the "tin foil hat" treatment. I agree with you. I did not pay $33,000.00 because I wanted someone somewhere to have the ability to shut my car off or listen in on conversations or specifically to know when I lowered my tire pressure at the drag strip. all of the " if you aren't doing anything wrong folks" should read the US Constitution, especially the 4th, 5th and 6th ammendments. Maybe, they wouldn't mind microphones in their houses either. after all' "if you aren't doing anything wrong" why would you mind. When I was younger, I used to have sex with my girl friends in my car and my 56 Chevy B210 did not have the ability to listen in. I don't care if the good folks at Onstar do not listen in, the fact that they can in a vehicle that I bought and paid for is unnerving to say the least. So bring on all of your comedy routines my fellow Camaro enthusiasts.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
coolman

Has anyone ever had onstar contact them in the car without you contacting them first?
And, Can't you tell somehow when their connected or you don't even know it's happening?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Has anyone ever had onstar contact them in the car without you contacting them first?
And, Can't you tell somehow when their connected or you don't even know it's happening?
The only time I've ever seen OnStar contact someone in a car was when Hennessey was testing their CTS-V and apparently triggered a sensor in the car calling OnStar. This basically only happens in the event of an accident, or in Hennessey's case, something that appeared to be an accident.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Hmm, sorry I haven't followed your thread.

Several things come to mind when considering disonnecting of the onstar.

First I don't care what all theses guys say the capability to read and monitor many systems is there. Now I can't say if they are doing so but certainly the technology is ready to go.

If I am flying down the backroads at 120+ they can certainly see that. And if my cars is spinning the rear tires at 60MPH while the from tires are sitting still they can certainly see that. How you say? Ask your chassis dyno guy how the dash lights up like a Christmas Tree when it's on the dyno. The rear wheels are at 150 MPH and the front are still. It sets a temporary code.

New cars now have event data recorders. How many extra cirrcuts do you think that it would take to have that information uploaded to onstar as soon as they are notified of your air bags going off.

Boys and Girls the technology is there if someone wants to connect the dots the information can be retireved. Now I am not say that they do, but.........

I cannot share how and what I have done, lets just say I have. Lets say my car is stolen and the inurance company says, gee we rated your car with the onstar active (like a theft deterent). Could be a can of worms here.

From the people that I know who have had cars stolen the onstar was of little benifit. Sure some of the cars were found but not for days.
Onstar will not track or give information until the police have a report and request their help. In many areas theft is a low priority and getting a report done can take days.

Unless their is a kidnapping or life threatening situation you don't see many instant saves.

I opted not to activate or subscribe to onstar in in 2010 Camaro.
I opted not to activate or subscribe to onstar in my Company Car Impala
I do have onstar in my 2006 Seirra GMC Dually Tow Vehicle

These are my own opinions.

Robin

Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

I have had them contact me.... to tell me that my subscription was about to expire and to ask if I wanted to renew. I was just cruising down the road and all of a sudden the song got quiet and a womans voice came over the speakers.... creepy.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAN View Post
I stopped posting on this site when I got the "tin foil hat" treatment. I agree with you. I did not pay $33,000.00 because I wanted someone somewhere to have the ability to shut my car off or listen in on conversations or specifically to know when I lowered my tire pressure at the drag strip. all of the " if you aren't doing anything wrong folks" should read the US Constitution, especially the 4th, 5th and 6th ammendments. Maybe, they wouldn't mind microphones in their houses either. after all' "if you aren't doing anything wrong" why would you mind. When I was younger, I used to have sex with my girl friends in my car and my 56 Chevy B210 did not have the ability to listen in. I don't care if the good folks at Onstar do not listen in, the fact that they can in a vehicle that I bought and paid for is unnerving to say the least. So bring on all of your comedy routines my fellow Camaro enthusiasts.
People can listen in on your cell phone and landline calls. Are you going to deactivate those services too? Grow up.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
There's a big, big difference between "there's a microphone built into my car" and "somebody wants to eavesdrop on me." OnStar does not want to eavesdrop on you. They do not care what you're doing in your car unless you need directions or an ambulance. Unless you're such a high-value intelligence target that foreign agencies are going to try to hack your cars' wireless signals to spy on you (and if you're this public about not wanting to be listened to, you're definitely NOT a high-value intelligence target), then no one will ever, ever misuse the OnStar microphone.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The only time I've ever seen OnStar contact someone in a car was when Hennessey was testing their CTS-V and apparently triggered a sensor in the car calling OnStar. This basically only happens in the event of an accident, or in Hennessey's case, something that appeared to be an accident.
Man they must have been ripping the shit out of that car if it triggered that the car was in an accident. He brings up good points that makes me wonder If I want it. Problem Is I have About 19 vehicles with it.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Almhath, I know you are new at Camaro5, we have a little over 17,000 members world wide. ANYTIME you get that many people together or give access to each other, you WILL have differeing opinions, and certainly you will find some that may not be very tactfull in the delivery of their comments. With that in mind, just IGNORE their comments and move on the the next one. There are a LOT of helpful people here and if you have a question on a specific subject, you can find your answer, or at least some good advice as to the direction to help you solve it. Just like in our normal lives, their are haters all around you....ignore them and go on....for if you engage in a fight of some sort, even online, all you are or will be doing is feeding THEIR want, need, or desire to get under your skin and see if they can get a reaction out of you..........and so far, THEY have accomplished THEIR mission. IF you ignore them, it takes all their fun away, they will get bored just move on.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
Robin Lawrence

And one more thing, I was told about a situation where a truck and trailer were stolen.

The guy got a call from onstar telling him that someone was tampering with his truck.
He went to the parking lot and the rig was gone, the thieves know how to disable the onstar as quickly as they start the car.

If you have a wife and children then it's worth giving up some freedom to give them some extra protection.

Also my conversations are the least of my worries LOL

Robin

Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #16
coolman

I know bmw's does the same thing. My partner has a 6series and they call him though the car even to set up service.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by almhath View Post
But I have to discuss private matters on an ongoing basis in the car: medical things, legal things, financial things, or just personal things.
This is my question: why do you have to discuss this in your car? I believe you said that you needed to use the Camaro as your "office on wheels" or something to that effect. Cars are made for one purpose: to go from point A to point B. Why are you trying to make it more than that? Why don't you consider how unsafe that is?

If you have to speak with a lawyer or doctor, typically you need to concentrate on the conversation at hand. I don't want to share the road with people who are only marginally concentrating on driving...

Just my opinion.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
Old 11-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Man they must have been ripping the shit out of that car if it triggered that the car was in an accident. He brings up good points that makes me wonder If I want it. Problem Is I have About 19 vehicles with it.
It's Hennessey, so you can assume they were doing some pretty extreme things to the CTS-V, and something they must've done (like an extremely high speed corner) had to have replicated data that would've occurred in an accident (swerving off the road to avoid something).

Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
I can respect your desire to disable OnStar, it's your car, you should be able to do so if that's what you wish.

Using your car as a mobile office just puts others at risk as well as yourself since you can't entirely focus on driving your car.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #20
texan

Drives: people crazy
I knid of understand your frustration but also agree Sir Nuke, you are talking to 17,000 people.

Just advice, don't hit me - maybe you should ask how Onstar can be turned off and leave the reason and personal stuff out of it. I think there are other threads already going. If I was that worried about privacy and anonymity I would never mention the reason and even more so never say I worked with NSA. You are more likely to have a keylogger dropped on your pc than someone eavesdropping in your car.

Good luck getting comfortable with your car. It's a shame to have such a nice vehicle and be worried everytime you drive it.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
ontheaccount

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
I'd contact your dealer and ask them exactly where the mic is and I'd personally remove it.
The mics are on the left and right of the overhead light. Use a little cotton and duct tape- problem solved....
Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #22
Robin Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheaccount View Post
The mics are on the left and right of the overhead light. Use a little cotton and duct tape- problem solved....
Hahaha, exactly! I also like the screwdriver and side cutters. Surgery!!! LOL

Robin

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #23
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
People can listen in on your cell phone and landline calls. Are you going to deactivate those services too? Grow up.
Why don't you do the growing my ignorant freind. I can turn my cell phone off. My cell phone will not tell General Motors that I am drag racing. My question a few weeks back was asking how to turn off the onstar. This was once a free country and I am not looking to take away your ability to have Onstar, I only want to turn mine off. You complainers seem to want to impose your will on those of us that do not want the Onstar, WHY?

Closed Thread