Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
GM beats June sales forecast

All the major automakers released their June sales numbers today. Chrysler got hammered with a drop over 30% compared to June 2007. GM was projected to record a 25% drop but dropped only 18%. Even better, Toyota dropped a whopping 21%. Not too shabby eh? The only weird thing is that GM's cars took most of the hit and their trucks took a surprisingly much lighter hit.

I play an online virtual stock trading game and had shorted GM stock when it broke $13. I was making huge money today before the announcement, but after they released those sales numbers it shot up 10% over the previous day's close. I lost a lot of virtual money on that one. Luckily I kept my head and shorted even more at 10% up and it eventually settled at +2%, so I still made money. So bad news for me virtually, but great news for all of us GM fans in the real world.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm so glad that GM beat Toyota last month.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
cam-up

Drives: 03 S/C DODGE 1500, O2 CAMARO
will that is a big thing since auto market is going down a hard road right now, thats why im going with CAMARO, gonna be the best value for the dollar, and GM out did it self wasn't expecting to do as good as it did as far as thee forcast
cam-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
That indicates to me that their trucks are being bought by people who need trucks and like fuel economy.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Auto Sales Down.

Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080701/..._ge/auto_sales

Quote:
Even Toyota, with its flexible, efficient factories, couldn't make the shift from trucks to cars as quickly as American drivers. Its sales for June shrank 21 percent.

So the Japanese automaker fell short of some analysts' predictions that it would overtake GM as the U.S. sales leader. June sales at GM had a still-dramatic drop of about 18 percent.
Looks like just about everyone took it on the chin this month.

EDIT: Repost - sorry. Merge with http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4873 please. Or delete, what ever works.

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 07-02-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Repost
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
These numbers are misleading, not that I like to point that out. The reason that Toyota's sales are down is that they are out of stock. They have nothing to sell. Right now around the country there is an 8 month waiting list for a Prius, and a 3 month waiting list for a hybrid Camry.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
stovt001

That means either their forecast on specific model sales were off or they couldn't adjust manufacturing capacity for those models fast enough. Those are the same criticisms aimed at GM, so this should shut the import-humpers up. Not that it will, of course.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Most industries in the USA are seeing declining markets and are seeing what growth they have in the overseas markets. If congress does not get their pinheads together and do something about energy we are looking ay some serious economic problms in the near future
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
SSMUFF

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...02markets.aspx
SSMUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
These numbers are misleading, not that I like to point that out. The reason that Toyota's sales are down is that they are out of stock. They have nothing to sell. Right now around the country there is an 8 month waiting list for a Prius, and a 3 month waiting list for a hybrid Camry.
Hybrids don't account for nearly 20% of Toyota's sales. They sell more trucks and SUV's than hybrids, just like everyone else.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080701/..._ge/auto_sales

Looks like just about everyone took it on the chin this month.

EDIT: Repost - sorry. Merge with http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4873 please. Or delete, what ever works.
merged

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
Most industries in the USA are seeing declining markets and are seeing what growth they have in the overseas markets. If congress does not get their pinheads together and do something about energy we are looking ay some serious economic problms in the near future
Will we really? I'm of the opinion that expensive gas will actually be very good for us long term. Besides, Congress has no business getting involved in these matters. They just screw things up, and besides its outside of their Constitutional duties. Some good reality check readings:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...0.html?cnn=yes

http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/01/smal....fsb/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/..._projects.fsb/

And you're telling me you want to give up all of that just so we can propel ourselves from place to place with some antiquated process of lighting old dinosaur juice on fire? Psh, why squash innovation? Future tech is fun.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Will we really? I'm of the opinion that expensive gas will actually be very good for us long term. Besides, Congress has no business getting involved in these matters. They just screw things up, and besides its outside of their Constitutional duties. Some good reality check readings:

And you're telling me you want to give up all of that just so we can propel ourselves from place to place with some antiquated process of lighting old dinosaur juice on fire? Psh, why squash innovation? Future tech is fun.
People need to prepare for the future, more alternatives asap, but that should not require $5 gas.

Did high tape prices bring us the CD?
Did high CD prices bring us the IPOD?
Did $30 VHS recorders bring us the DVR?

NO! no! and no!
Future tech can be fun, but high gas prices... not so much.
Oil companies AND car companies may need some additional encouragement to really try and push the future tech envelop. It would be nice if they would do it on their own, but with the US auto industry suffering, it may require our help, or the help of the govt ( Chrysler in the 80s )

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
to GM.

[Nelson voice] Ha-Ha [/Nelson Voice] to Toyota
Old 07-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
That is awesome. The General could use some good news in the markets these days...

I didn' think that Chrysler published numbers anymore since they no longer have to report to shareholders.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Nickdago

Quote:

The first article talks about that fact that Americans are so stupid that the only way they will change is if it is forced on them while the second article talks about how an American company has been working for over 20 years on a new source of power for electricity. The third article again talks about someone who has already been looking to create energy from a thermal source which again has already been going on long before the high oil prices.So which is it, are we that stupid or have we already been looking for alternative sources of energy and have just not yet perfected the technology. I know for a fact we have been working on cold fusion for over 50 years, not because oil is 140/barrel but because this is America and we are always looking for a better way. I think it is obvious to most Americans that we can continue the technology advances we have become used to over our entire history without the pain of high oil. There is no reason for oil to be priced at where it is. In Europe they have been suffering with high oil prices for years and they have done nothing to create technology that would solve the issue, which is really only about the goverment over taxing their people. We will create new and better energy technology no matter what and this idea that we have to suffer is barbaric.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

^

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
stovt001

Sure people will work on it regardless, because there are just some really cool nerds out there. However, consumers won't care until they're forced to. When California mandated electric cars years ago no one bought any because gas was so darn cheap. They existed, sure, but no one cared. Think they care now? Yup. The difference between media tech and energy tech is that people could immediately perceive the visual/audio advantages of CDs and DVDs, while they can't immediate perceive the advantages of hydrogen/ethanol/electricity/whatever besides the price and environmental issues. How many of you cared about alternative fuels even 3 years ago? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ha of course not! everyone was buying huge SUVs they didn't need 3 years ago. People are passionate about media and computer tech, hence why they will camp out overnight to buy the newest iCrap. There are a few people who get excited about energy alternatives on their own merits, but the average person sees energy as the cost of going from A to B, and therefore look on it as strictly economic. If the price of gas is high, they'll embrace alternatives. If the price of gas is low they will openly mock alternatives. History so clearly proves this I just don't understand why I have to keep arguing this.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #19
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
Sure people will work on it regardless, because there are just some really cool nerds out there. However, consumers won't care until they're forced to. When California mandated electric cars years ago no one bought any because gas was so darn cheap. They existed, sure, but no one cared. Think they care now? Yup. The difference between media tech and energy tech is that people could immediately perceive the visual/audio advantages of CDs and DVDs, while they can't immediate perceive the advantages of hydrogen/ethanol/electricity/whatever besides the price and environmental issues. How many of you cared about alternative fuels even 3 years ago? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ha of course not! everyone was buying huge SUVs they didn't need 3 years ago. People are passionate about media and computer tech, hence why they will camp out overnight to buy the newest iCrap. There are a few people who get excited about energy alternatives on their own merits, but the average person sees energy as the cost of going from A to B, and therefore look on it as strictly economic. If the price of gas is high, they'll embrace alternatives. If the price of gas is low they will openly mock alternatives. History so clearly proves this I just don't understand why I have to keep arguing this.
In the seventies farmers (including my family) in Texas were trying to get ethanol going, so I grew up wanting alternative fuels.
That blanket statement, and those like it... exemplify a lack of forethought.....
umm... that means you type faster than you think...

How about ; we go for moderately priced gas and quit arguing...
obviously everyone will not believe (in) everything the same way.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...

Last edited by chadrcr; 07-08-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
Nickdago

Quote:

You have been basking in the Obama and Gore Juice to long, it is starting to effect your thought patterns.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #21
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
You know that is great that you have your own agenda however just because a lot of other people do not agree with your view of how the world should be does not make their opinion and less relevent than your own. What makes you so sure you have the magic pill to fix everything, you have a direct line to Heavan? And I am always weary of peple such as yourself who think the rest of us are to stupid to think for ourselves so you are going to pass laws amd make the goverment even bigger than it is just so you can tell us how it is.

you talkin to me??? 'cause I was on your side....

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
These arguments are spreading throughout other threads...It's getting rediculous, and I would REALLY appreciate it if it all Stopped.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
These arguments are spreading throughout other threads...It's getting rediculous, and I would REALLY appreciate it if it all Stopped.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #24
Nickdago

Quote:
You know that is great that you have your own agenda however just because a lot of other people do not agree with your view of how the world should be does not make their opinion and less relevent than your own. What makes you so sure you have the magic pill to fix everything, you have a direct line to Heavan? And I am always weary of peple such as yourself who think the rest of us are to stupid to think for ourselves so you are going to pass laws amd make the goverment even bigger than it is just so you can tell us how it is.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #25
Nickdago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
you talkin to me??? 'cause I was on your side....
I am sorry I am talking to STOVT001. I completely apologize for the error, I must have been posting without my reading glasses. Please accept my apology.