Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Latest PDIM Part Number

I own an early 2010 2SS that has the original PDIM. I've been aware of it's shortcomings for a long time, but I found workarounds for some of them and learned to live with the rest of them, thinking that someday, when I had the console apart, I would replace the PDIM with the latest one. Last year, I bought a color HUD kit, rearview camera kit and a instrument panel ambient lighting kit from Gen5 DIY, but put the install off until I decided what I wanted to do with the instrument panel and steering wheel.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a complete instrument panel from a 2014 2SS and a steering wheel from a 2015 SS sedan. I then placed an order for a list of GM parts that I would need to complete the install. The next day I got an e-mail from the dealer telling me that the PDIM module, PN 22797218, has been discontinued. I replied and told them to send me the latest substitute for it. They replied and told me that there wasn't one.

I spent the next several days trying to locate one online, with no luck. I ordered several from online websites. They all canceled. I plan on going to my local dealership on Monday to see if maybe they can locate some stock somewhere.

Now for the questions.....

1. Does anybody know any where I can locate one of these?

2. Does anybody know if there's a replacement part number with at least as high hardware and software revision levels?

3. From reading through a bunch of these threads, I have determined that PN 20985421 has the same hardware revision as PN 22797218, but they always say to buy PN 22797218 because it has a newer software revision and It can't be updated. Does anybody know why?

4 Does anybody know for sure what the PDIM PN is in the latest PDIM kit, PN 22872777? Those are still available and I've blown up some of the online photos and they all have a PN 20985421 module, but I've also blown up the photos of the next down level kit PN 20940641 and they all appear to have a PN 20985421 module also. I can't imagine why GM would need to update the PN of the kit unless they were updating the PN of the module in it. So that makes me wonder if the online vendors are using old photos.

I don't understand why GM would discontinue their latest level PDIM without a replacement. They put these in Camaros through 2012 and they used them in several other GM vehicles as late as 2013. I would think that some of those vehicles would still be warranty and that GM would need to support that.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I plan on going to my local dealership on Monday to see if maybe they can locate some stock somewhere.
Well, since I had a hundred views and no replies, I think I'll reply to myself. My local dealer was able to locate 2 P/N 22797218 PDIMs in the entire country. They gave me the phone numbers of both dealers who had them and I called them both and got the run around. The first dealer had no problem selling me the part, but claimed he had no way to ship it. The 2nd dealer had no problem shipping, but didn't want to take a debit/credit card. They wanted me to mail them a personal check and they would ship me the part after my check cleared the bank. I went back to my local dealer, had them get the part from the 2nd dealer and then I bought it from them.

The good news is that there's one more of these out there, if anybody still wants one. The bad news is that you will have to drive to the dealership, somewhere in North Carolina to pick it up.

Update: I installed the PDIM last week and it did indeed correct almost all the issues that I had with the old one. Now when I start the car, it picks back up where it left off and retains all the settings. They only issue is that it still re-indexes every time the cars re-starts, but since it retains all settings, that's not nearly the issue that it was. The main reason that the re-index was such of a problem was that you couldn't select anything while it was indexing. Now that it retains all the settings, you don't need to select anything while it's indexing.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 06-04-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote