Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Motor Trend SUV of the Year: The Subaru Repeat?

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...ear/index.html

Quote:
2009 Motor Trend Sport/Utility Of The Year: Subaru Forester
Clearcut: Soaring Fuel Prices and a Fizzling Economy Have Made It a Jungle Out There, But This Year's Winner Is Easy to See for the Trees

It would be easy to say that this year's winner is a knee-jerk reaction, that the editors of Motor Trend responded to the skyrocketing cost of gasoline like the rest of the driving public by abruptly abandoning the traditional SUV formula for something smaller, more fuel-efficient, greener, more, well, forest-y. It would be easy to categorize our selection of the Subaru Forester as Motor Trend's 2009 Sport/Utility of the Year as a choice made solely at the pump, but it wouldn't be true.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...ner/index.html

Quote:
2010 Motor Trend Sport/Utility Of The Year: Subaru Outback
Find the Hidden SUV: An Act So Good, Even if You Know How It's Done You Can't See It

It's right there in the photo: a spacious, tough, thoroughly modern, exceedingly capable sport/utility vehicle. You're forgiven if all you can see is a svelte station wagon. There's magic at work here.

For the first time since any of us can recall, an automaker has claimed the Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year title two years in a row. Last fall, deftly balancing efficiency and size, the all-new 2009 Subaru Forester went home with the Golden Calipers trophy. For 2010, fighting off several tough adversaries -- and undoubtedly some unspoken but very real bias among our judges against repeat winners -- Subaru's new, fourth-generation Outback scored a decisive 10-1 victory in the final voting.
*GAG*

Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Gross.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Yeah, I finally had time to read this today.

The fact that MT based some of their final selection on off-road performance is absurd for the CUV segment. They aren't built for that.

And of all the CUV's (including the Outback), the Subaru's have the worst seats. Good thing it has good off-road capabilities...I could take the shortcut right to my Chiropractor's office.

My wife and I have been looking/driving vehicles in this segment and found the Equinox/Terrain to be unequaled in this segment...with their features and price they are unbeatable.

And we are not die-hard, brand-loyal GM'ers.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Yeah, I finally had time to read this today.

The fact that MT based some of their final selection on off-road performance is absurd for the CUV segment. They aren't built for that.

And of all the CUV's (including the Outback), the Subaru's have the worst seats. Good thing it has good off-road capabilities...I could take the shortcut right to my Chiropractor's office.

My wife and I have been looking/driving vehicles in this segment and found the Equinox/Terrain to be unequaled in this segment...with their features and price they are unbeatable.

And we are not die-hard, brand-loyal GM'ers.
2nded. IMO, the Ford Edge's seats rank up there too. I can't stay in them for more than 30 minutes without some back pain popping up..

I'm 22.

WTF, Ford.

I'm hoping that we can get a good deal on a 1LT 'Nox lease come 2010 once the Ford goes back. 'Rents apparently can't see over the hood of the Camaro, and don't like it. Yet they love my Explorer..
Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
2nded. IMO, the Ford Edge's seats rank up there too. I can't stay in them for more than 30 minutes without some back pain popping up..

I'm 22.

WTF, Ford.

I'm hoping that we can get a good deal on a 1LT 'Nox lease come 2010 once the Ford goes back. 'Rents apparently can't see over the hood of the Camaro, and don't like it. Yet they love my Explorer..
They will like the '10 Equinox...good driver position (wife and I are shorties) and good visibility.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
They will like the '10 Equinox...good driver position (wife and I are shorties) and good visibility.
Good. My mom is almost chest height to me, and the auto set for the Edge is her seat 1st, my dad's second.

He and I are the same height. And at 9AM, having your knees eaten for lunch isn't fun.. but she does like the view on that vehicle. As do I.. for lack of anything better to drive.

If it's anything like a Envoy/Trailblazer or Explorer I think they'll eventually be satisfied.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Good. My mom is almost chest height to me, and the auto set for the Edge is her seat 1st, my dad's second.

He and I are the same height. And at 9AM, having your knees eaten for lunch isn't fun.. but she does like the view on that vehicle. As do I.. for lack of anything better to drive.

If it's anything like a Envoy/Trailblazer or Explorer I think they'll eventually be satisfied.
We found the new Equinox and Terrains to be substantially better that the previous Envoys/Trailblazers, or even the current Explorers or Escapes (we went to the Ford dealer and drove both of those a couple of months back). The Equinox/Terrains seem to handle much better, were quieter inside, and were more comfortable than nearly all of the others, with the possible exception of the larger Exporer (for comfort). The Honda CRV and RAV-4 were nearly as bad as the Subaru for comfort. We both drive 2+ hours per day for work...so its gotta be comfy for a DD.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Ya, and then they go on to justify it in a subsequent article by taking it to a fishing hole with a muddy road. I just don't get it.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 13 SRX Premium 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I know the SRX is a little on the heavy side, but it drives so amazing in a straight line, and then you take a corner and there is barely any body roll! And i'm a little GM biased... so yea. SRX for the win!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
I got this issue a little over a week ago, and i didn't even read the article about the Subaru. Just the little articles labout some of the suv's, eading up to it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote