Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Question about ZL1 pedals

Iím looking to install the ZL1 pedals. The brake and clutch are pretty straight forward, however there are two choices for the accelerator. The pedal cover, and the entire lever unit. Whatís the deal? Is there something special about the pedal unit or should I just change the pedal cover?

Thanks in advance...
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Dorwd71

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
the accelerator pedal is pretty straightforward, just remove your old pedal and install the new one, takes like five minutes tops, hard part is just arranging your body comfortably to remove/reinstall the bolt from the pedal. I think replacing the pedal is easier than replacing the cover, I have done both.
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorwd71 View Post
the accelerator pedal is pretty straightforward, just remove your old pedal and install the new one, takes like five minutes tops, hard part is just arranging your body comfortably to remove/reinstall the bolt from the pedal. I think replacing the pedal is easier than replacing the cover, I have done both.

But thereís nothing ďspecialĒ or different about a ZL pedal unit right?
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, open/closer doohickies, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorwd71 View Post

PS. Thanks. Iím going to remove the front seat. That oughta make it easier.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
PS. Thanks. Iím going to remove the front seat. That oughta make it easier.
Was going to suggest that as when I did my BAP install that was the only way I could access the pedal harness with both hands.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
Dorwd71

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
there is nothing special about the pedal, other then it is greysilver/black whereas other pedals are black, haha
Dorwd71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 ZL1, M6
I just installed a new clutch pedal in my ZL1... the original lost it's brushed metal trim.

Key to getting the clutch and brake pedal covers on is warming them up.

I put them in my toaster oven on a low heat setting to get the rubber pliable. I didn't need to move my seat or anything else during the install. Start by installing the pedal covers at the top of the pedal first and slowing work the rubber lips around the pedal as you move towards the bottom.
#3257| Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRZL113 View Post
I just installed a new clutch pedal in my ZL1... the original lost it's brushed metal trim.

Key to getting the clutch and brake pedal covers on is warming them up.

I put them in my toaster oven on a low heat setting to get the rubber pliable. I didn't need to move my seat or anything else during the install. Start by installing the pedal covers at the top of the pedal first and slowing work the rubber lips around the pedal as you move towards the bottom.
Noted!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Here’s a stupid question.

I finally got my part. What is the texture of the black ribs supposed to feel like? These are sorta hard plastic grippy textured.

Last edited by SquawkVFR; 12-17-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Here’s a stupid question.
I finally got my parts. What is the texture of the black ribs supposed to feel like? These are sorta hard plastic grippy textured.
The ZL1 set's clutch and brake pedal ribs are rubbery texture, the accelerator black ribs are more plastic like feel.
The set really makes a huge difference in appearance, the stainless steel satin metal frames holds up great over time.
As pointed out, heating up real good helps a lot in install of clutch and brake pad. The accelerator is very easy - moving seat all the way back and then maneuver in there to get to the bolt and terminal connector, don't over-tighten.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
The ZL1 set's clutch and brake pedal ribs are rubbery texture, the accelerator black ribs are more plastic like feel.
The set really makes a huge difference in appearance, the stainless steel satin metal frames holds up great over time.
As pointed out, heating up real good helps a lot in install of clutch and brake pad. The accelerator is very easy - moving seat all the way back and then maneuver in there to get to the bolt and terminal connector, don't over-tighten.
Thanks Ron. BIG help.....thank you!

Except the brake and clutch covers are missing in the kit I ordered. An eBay seller, so this oughta be fun. Lol.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...

The installation was not that difficult. I saw why people heat them up, but thereís a much easier solution. Had all of mine installed in about 45 minutes.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
The installation was not that difficult. I saw why people heat them up, but thereís a much easier solution. Had all of mine installed in about 45 minutes.
Could you please post your easier strategy?, when I did mine used the heat strategy.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 ZL1, M6
I'm glad you found a way that works for you, but I'll stick to warming the pedals.

I'm not a fan of hacking away at parts just to get them to fit.

With the pedal covers warmed up, and the method I mentioned in my original post, I can get them installed within mins.
#3257| Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote