Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

GM Parts House
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
I got rear ended last Friday in my Trans Am

My daughter, her dog and cat are all fine, we were on the way back from the Vet. My neck is sore and the chiropractor visits are being handled by No Fault.

I was driving my BRIGHT FREAKING RED 16 year old Trans Am, stopped behind a few cars at a light, looked up into my rear view mirror and watched him hit me.

We were about 2 miles from home and hit by a 20 year old kid in an 03 Camry in his dads name. Kid was scared and kept apologizing. I just got back into my car and called 911. I had nothing nice to say to the little prick.

Funny thing is if you stand back you can't see the damage. At All. Get up real close and the bumper is scuffed. The left side of it is pushed out a bit. Look at the deck lid where it meets the taillights and you realize the left side is pushed in so the gap is not even between them. All the damage is very subtle.

I meet with the adjuster tomorrow morning, I have Hagerty now that that car is old enough so I could have an agreed upon value of 20K and 56K on the odom.

I'm curious as to what is found when the body shop digs into her.

What sucks is I always take the car off the road for the winter and I don't know how long it will take to get the work done. I'm storing the car 20 miles from my house so I can use the garage for my Camaro. And to top it all off, if the body shop can't see me by Friday, I leave for Mexico on Saturday which will delays things for another full week! I have never driven this car in the snow and yes I know a little road salt once in it;s life won't hurt it... but hey, I bought it brand new and it's my baby, one day to be my daughters car.

What insurance does NOT reimburse you for is all of your time to take care of this crap...

But the upside is we are all pretty much OK and he may have only been doing 10MPH. I have to wait until I get back for an official police report.

The cops were very good about it and let my wife take my daughter and the pets home so they didn't have to spend the next 30 minutes on the side of the road with me. I was fortunate that the work visit she had was cancelled so she answered her cell and came right over.

I'm still pissed. This is the 4th time I have been rear ended, 2nd in this car.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
He's a prick because he accidentally hit you??? Heh....
Old 11-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
How do you "accidentally" rear end someone? It's not an accident. It's negligence.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I never understood how someone can rear end you... either on the phone, texting, or just plain not paying attention.... which, as stated above, is negligence.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Highly doubt he was doing his hw, in his early 20's. That means he was texting.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2015 Terrain
As I'm sure OP knows, texting =5 pts and $150 fine here in NY. Doesn't stop many, though.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
thats a classic...i was texting scenario. some young-uns still dont get real life just yet.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
spike III
COTW 6/25/12

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I was rear ended in my Avalanche sitting at a stop light on Sept. 2nd. $6,000 damage was not totaled. I had the best witness you could have. Wife was in her car behind the one that hit me. The girl got three tickets.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
If people pay attention while driving and don't drive like assholes, there most likely would not be any traffic accidents.

So, yes, he is a prick because he hit a car that was already stopped most likely because he was distracted by something rather than focusing on the road.

Or rather, is he a saint or a super good dude for doing what he did? I don't think so.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Got struck from behind in our Impala rental in Maui this past July. Kid that hit us fell asleep. LUCKILY we opted for the insurance.

Best part was pulling up to the AVIS returns aisle, then removing strips of duct tape that held the trunk shut...to remove our bags.

Got hit from behind in 1998. Sitting in my Crown Vic cruiser , alongside I-15. All my top lights ON, 4 way flashers ON. Great visibility for 1/2 mile. Got hit by an elderly Canadian (probably fell asleep or very fatigued) at about 60 mph. Totaled the car as well as my poor M-14 rifle which was in a case, crosswise in the trunk.

I'd wager the OP's kid was texting. It's epidemic with kids now.
Frank237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
I'd wager the OP's kid was texting. It's epidemic with everyone now.
Fixed that for you.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #12
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Fixed that for you.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan coil overs, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Dynamat, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
The damage is at 1K so far. She goes into the shop on Dec 13th. They are aware that some of the body panels do not line up. I just want my car fixed. I was in Cozumel over Thanksgiving so everything got delayed by a week.

The kids dad is paying for it out of pocket. Hagerty is taking care of it so I don't have to deal with the kid and his dad.

I suppose I ought to go get a police report and see if he was texting.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Software Guy View Post

I suppose I ought to go get a police report and see if he was texting.
Glad to see it is being taken care of, and hope it will be to your satisfaction. Getting a report is unnecessary at this point, unless you REALLY want to rant to everyone about them texting.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote