Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums -
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old Today, 11:33 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Separation issues... can you help me?

The attached image shows two hard plastic drinking cups. Each is about eight inches tall, and the two cups are nested. They were washed, then dried, and placed in to the cup cabinet.

However, NOW they refuse to separate.

I have tugged and pulled and cursed. I have tried squeezing the inside cup's mouth into one "oval," while squeezing the other in a perpendicular oval.

I tried filling the inner one with ice water, while simultaneously resting the outer one in hot water.

I introduced oil in between their surfaces. I tried introducing water. Now, there only seems to be a vacuum seal that has been produced by the introduction of liquids.

I have used sharp metal tools to attempt prying and lifting, "walking" the inner cup out of its prison.

None of these have worked.

Of course, I could crush/ destroy one cup in order to free the other... that's no fun.

Any ideas on how to separate these two, and finish with two still- usable cups?
Attached Images
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #2

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Sounds like suction is the problem. They were maybe fresh out of the dishwasher (hot) when they were put together and now they are stuck? Try sticking them in the freezer for a few hours and see if that works. If not, stick em back in the dishwasher then try to take them apart when they are hot.
2014 2SS/RS, L99, SW LTH w/HF Cats, GMPP Ex. Z/28 CAI, FR41s in PVD Black Chrome, Recaros, Pfadt Sway
377hp, 383tq 12.739@110.44 MPH
Red2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #3

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
A shotgun would separate them, that would be fun!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:10 PM   #4
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
When warm, moist air cools it exerts less pressure (ie, causes a partial vacuum). Dunk them in some hot water for a while and the trapped air should get back to normal pressure.
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:19 PM   #5
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Drill a hole in the bottom one that will break the vacuum and when you want to use just place it inside the cup without the hole drilled in the bottom
Hurst Short Throw Shifter, K&N CAI, SRP Racing Pedals, GM Performance Exhaust, GM GFX Package
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote