Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #76
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
i've been reading other gm forums about swapping the module and one of those tales stood out to me. the guy has a gmc sierra and got a module off of a wrecked enclave. onstar sees the "new" module, but see his gmc sierra as "someone elses 2009 enclave".
Old 12-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #77
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
Non-US Camaro

As explained on this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44126

the 2SS camaro (Non-US) does not come with the Onstar module (Service exists only in US) so the bluetooth for Hands-Free phone is disabled.

I wonder if I installed the Onstar module, would the Hands-Free Phone work or not ?
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #78
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

brings up a very interesting question though...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #79
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

IF you have no need for the onstar function, it may be possible to get an onstar/bluetooth module installed in your car only for the bluetooth option. im just guessing though
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #80
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
Also I wonder where is the the mic?! do I need to install the mic or it is already installed ?

onstar functions are cool, but again we don't have the onstar service in Kuwait.
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #81
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
Also I wonder where is the the mic?! do I need to install the mic or it is already installed ?

onstar functions are cool, but again we don't have the onstar service in Kuwait.
Hmmm...for us, the mic is on the small plastic piece by where the dome light is (close to the rearview mirror). you should see some small openings there.

anybody got any pics of what it looks like?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #82
Yellow1lt

Drives: Yellow 1LT
i was thinking the same thing... i dont think the onstar box needs to be active for the bluetooth to work... im thinking it shoudl be fine
Yellow1lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #83
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow1lt View Post
i was thinking the same thing... i dont think the onstar box needs to be active for the bluetooth to work... im thinking it shoudl be fine
Probably, just need to find a box that isn't active...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #84
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
I figured it out people and I'm going to share the knowledge here for all who want to add bluetooth hands-free phone support to their existing stereo with oem onstar box. Forgive the poor quality of my pics..

There are two separate onstar modules for use in the 2010 Camaro. They are made by Continental (who bought motorola's car division)
The basic box is part #20842730, it has only two fakra antenna connectors and no bluetooth emblem on this box

The other module is part # 20842731, has three fakra antennas one of which has a small bluetooth antenna attached. The box has a bluetooth emblem on it, some will find the antenna is not included as it is a seperate part: #15938939?
here is another view of the connectors on the bluetooth box w/antenna

The procedure for replacing the box is very easy:
First pull the onstar fuse in the interior fuse box (refer to owners manual)
Next remove the glovebox and the protective plastic moulding behind the glove box up high by the dash
This protective piece is held in by 5 torx screws
Once this piece is removed you can plainly see the precious silver onstar box hanging upside down on the left

The box unclips and slides right out of a plastic bezel (easy easy)
Unclip the two fakra wires and the two white small harnesses and switch the boxes
here is the new box connected slide it back into the bezel and reistall the protective piece and glovebox.

Reinstall the Fuse and You're Done! Turn on your car and pair your Bluetooth Phone (My iPhone worked flawlessly, instantly)

Next press the blue onstar button on your rear view mirror and inform them that you have changed your hardware, they can migrate your current account in about 15 minutes.

The only real hurdle you will have is locating a bluetooth onstar box for sale as I do not believe that you can order the part from the dealer. It is my understanding that they will only replace the box in case of theft, fire, or accidental damage... I bought mine from an aftermarket builder who stripped down the car for racing.
OK, I think that's it.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions, but go easy on me this is my first tutorial post
I guess I missed an earlier discussion somewhere. So why would I want to do this? I don't get it. Please inform me.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #85
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

tradosaurus,

you would want to do this if your model Camaro did not come with factory Bluetooth.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #86
technoside2

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Send a message via AIM to technoside2
Danget I lost the Ebay bid I wish they would just sell me this part.
technoside2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #87
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
any update on this?
Is it only available on ebay?

Just want the bluetooth feature!

JM
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #88
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoside2 View Post
Danget I lost the Ebay bid I wish they would just sell me this part.
So sorry you lost the bid! as more and more people find out about this, it will only drive the "price" up higher. dont count on GM selling you this part any time soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM10 View Post
any update on this?
Is it only available on ebay?

Just want the bluetooth feature!

JM
for now, yes it is only available on ebay...or if you are lucky enough to see a "wrecked" camaro with the module in it...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #89
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
And we have a winner!!!

Let us know what happens!
Well, thanks to the great instructions on this thread I installed the unit purchased from Sgt1411. The bluetooth functioned from the outset, but I have the red indicator light on the rearview mirror. OnStar was very polite, but not really any help. The only information tech support was able to give me was to go to the dealer. I found out that it may take up to a few days before the light changes to green. Either way, I have hands free bluetooth...so if it keeps working, it was worth the effort.
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #90
TA219

Drives: 2010 SS - 1967 327 Coupe
Same here, I bought one on e-bay, it works great and when I pushed the onstar button everything came right up. There was some confusion when trying to get my account lined out, but other than that it is great to be able to drive (stick shift) and talk at the same time.
TA219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #91
Yellow1lt

can anyone answer this... if we have 2 camaros one with bluetooth and one with out, would it work just switching them if the other car doesnt really need it?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #92
TA219

Quote:
can anyone answer this... if we have 2 camaros one with bluetooth and one with out, would it work just switching them if the other car doesnt really need it?
That is essentially what we are all doing, taking the unit from one car and placing it in the other
Old 12-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #93
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving41 View Post
Well, thanks to the great instructions on this thread I installed the unit purchased from Sgt1411. The bluetooth functioned from the outset, but I have the red indicator light on the rearview mirror. OnStar was very polite, but not really any help. The only information tech support was able to give me was to go to the dealer. I found out that it may take up to a few days before the light changes to green. Either way, I have hands free bluetooth...so if it keeps working, it was worth the effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA219 View Post
Same here, I bought one on e-bay, it works great and when I pushed the onstar button everything came right up. There was some confusion when trying to get my account lined out, but other than that it is great to be able to drive (stick shift) and talk at the same time.
Quote:
Saving and TA, do you guys know if OnStar "sees" your car, or do they see the other car where the OnStar module came from? That was the issue that people were having on the truck forums.

Yellow, yes it should work. However, we (I) just want to verify if OnStar "sees" the correct car.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #94
Yellow1lt

so do you think we could order a bluetooth onstar box if we have one car that has the box... basically saying its for that car and install it in another car?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #95
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
so do you think we could order a bluetooth onstar box if we have one car that has the box... basically saying its for that car and install it in another car?
You'd probably have to get your dealership to help you out with that. And even then, I'm not sure if they would both continue to work. VT2CA noted that onstar had the vin of the car the module came from instead of his so the module may be permanently tied to the car it was ordered for/came with.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #96
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
You'd probably have to get your dealership to help you out with that. And even then, I'm not sure if they would both continue to work. VT2CA noted that onstar had the vin of the car the module came from instead of his so the module may be permanently tied to the car it was ordered for/came with.
From what we've heard, the OnStar module can only be placed in case of Fire, Theft, etc. and they will only install/replace the same module that was already in the car.

UCF, I do believe you are correct. If a person has a 1LT and the box came from a 2SS, as far as OnStar knows, you are now driving a 2SS.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #97
TA219

Ditto, Onstar currently sees the other cars vin when I call in, oddly enough, the other car was an IOM SS also, so initially I thought that they had the right information. My call was interrupted and I havent contacted onstar again to try to sort it all out. I may try again this week.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #98
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Ditto, Onstar currently sees the other cars vin when I call in, oddly enough, the other car was an IOM SS also, so initially I thought that they had the right information. My call was interrupted and I havent contacted onstar again to try to sort it all out. I may try again this week.
Same here, except they see a red SS instead of my IBM!
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #99
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saving41 View Post
Same here, except they see a red SS instead of my IBM!
Hey, as long as you guys have the feature(s) you want, then I congratulate you!!! Enjoy your new-found "toy" and please keep us updated if you guys encounter anything odd or awesome!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #100
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Anyone have the pin outs or wiring diagram between the Onstar and head unit?

I'm looking for a mute line but I'm beginning to think this is communicated across the low speed lan.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote