Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
LT vs SS; Differences Not Enough

Dear OPS, I apologize for starting this thread because I put a lot of thought and time in preparing this response to the user Quo whose thread you just closed. If you find this thread inappropriate, please delete this, but I assure you it is in nothing but good taste and is intelligently thought out and presented. Please do not penalize me for I have no malintent here. Here goes:

Some people mortgage their lives away for a Camaro LT or SS and shouldn't be purchasing either, yet somehow they get the car. I understand what Quo is saying. I agree that there should be more than just subtle differences between trims, even with a 15K disparity in price, but I also understand where the LT guys are coming from as well. GM even does this with the Corvette. A disparity of almost $45K from cheapest to most expensive. With the exception of the hood and some smaller, less noticeable features, the car "looks" virtually identical in every iteration.

I know I'm opening myself up to attack here, but if you can't afford a balls-out muscle, the Camaro shouldn't be cheapened in any way so those that cannot afford them, shouldn't be purchasing this kind of car. They really should be purchasing a mid-size sedan (Accord or Camry) of sorts. I'm with GM on marketing this generation of Camaro like they have been because it was priced for much smaller budgets so GM could repay it's Federal debt. Believe it or not, the Camaro's success is almost pivotal for GM if this car continues to sell well.

If it weren't for this situation, I'd be completely upset about how the LT can look almost like the SS. Not enough body and accessory differences between the two. I would prefer my car more unique off the bat because A) I genuinely saved more money to purchase the best trim. B) I had every intention of buying the best trim and options knowing full well that this was a weekend car only. Without my custom striping, satin nickel fuel door, and Lloyd's mats, my car should be more distiguishable than an LT trim Camaro.

I know it sounds like Quo is trying to facilitate an arguement based on socioeconomic status, but his arguement makes some sense to me. I think the more appropriate perspective to apply here is not that people cannot afford to buy the SS as opposed to the LT, but rather a question of want and willingness to pay for the more expensive trim regardless of socioeconomic status. There should be major differences regardless. Let the flames continue!!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
let me ask you a question. the gripe was RS package between the two. it's an option package that is cheaper on the SS. the LT guys have to pay more to get the package. so with a discount for me paying more for my car I get on the same package should there be more of a difference then red SS badges? probably not. because I (I haven't just putting myself in the SS owners seat) paid for the SS trim that has differences already. but I could be wrong I paid more for the car and get a discount on the package.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
coolman

The problem was that he said he felt the ss camaro should look more top notch because he works harder to pay for it. I think thats puts him in a very bad light. I really like the looks of the v-6 better ,but I wanted the SS because of the V-8. And,that is really what your buying not the looks. He just wants everybody to know he was able to buy the top model and doesn't want to even get questioned that it is the top model. He doesn't really care about the car. He's more worried about the status symbol.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
The only real difference that matters to me is under the hood, but there is plenty to distinguish the too. Those in the know, know the difference. Just my friendly
disagreement.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The V6 looks like the SS because the idea is to sell more of ALL the models. Making a "stripper" V6 model diminishes the V6 and goes against the object of selling them!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
comiskeybum
Banned

Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Dear OPS, I apologize for starting this thread because I put a lot of thought and time in preparing this response to the user Quo whose thread you just closed. If you find this thread inappropriate, please delete this, but I assure you it is in nothing but good taste and is intelligently thought out and presented. Please do not penalize me for I have no malintent here. Here goes:

Some people mortgage their lives away for a Camaro LT or SS and shouldn't be purchasing either, yet somehow they get the car. I understand what Quo is saying. I agree that there should be more than just subtle differences between trims, even with a 15K disparity in price, but I also understand where the LT guys are coming from as well. GM even does this with the Corvette. A disparity of almost $45K from cheapest to most expensive. With the exception of the hood and some smaller, less noticeable features, the car "looks" virtually identical in every iteration.

I know I'm opening myself up to attack here, but if you can't afford a balls-out muscle, the Camaro shouldn't be cheapened in any way so those that cannot afford them, shouldn't be purchasing this kind of car. They really should be purchasing a mid-size sedan (Accord or Camry) of sorts. I'm with GM on marketing this generation of Camaro like they have been because it was priced for much smaller budgets so GM could repay it's Federal debt. Believe it or not, the Camaro's success is almost pivotal for GM if this car continues to sell well.

If it weren't for this situation, I'd be completely upset about how the LT can look almost like the SS. Not enough body and accessory differences between the two. I would prefer my car more unique off the bat because A) I genuinely saved more money to purchase the best trim. B) I had every intention of buying the best trim and options knowing full well that this was a weekend car only. Without my custom striping, satin nickel fuel door, and Lloyd's mats, my car should be more distiguishable than an LT trim Camaro.

I know it sounds like Quo is trying to facilitate an arguement based on socioeconomic status, but his arguement makes some sense to me. I think the more appropriate perspective to apply here is not that people cannot afford to buy the SS as opposed to the LT, but rather a question of want and willingness to pay for the more expensive trim regardless of socioeconomic status. There should be major differences regardless. Let the flames continue!!
you need to care less about what other guys are driving and more about yourself.

the reason they look similar is COST. you obviously dont understand basic business principles or you would never make a posting such as this.

anyone with a trained eye can tell the difference between an SS and an LT.

and those withouth a trained eye are probably not car enthusiast in the first place and could give a crap less about your 400 horses. so it really does not matter in the long run.

if your unhappy with your camaro ill be glad to take it off your hands.
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
DkknightX
Account Suspended

If this were ANY other Camaro, I might have a slight issue with that, but since this is a Gen5 that needs to be marketable and versatile to more buyers, I'm with GM 110% on this one.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
comiskeybum
Banned

oh and if you want to drive a car that screams " i paid 40-50k for my ride" go get a Lexus IS or something along those lines.

otherwise shut up.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
comiskeybum
Banned

and ill also go on record as saying this is the stupidest thread ever started on this website.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
and ill also go on record as saying this is the stupidest thread ever started on this website.
No, the first one on this subject that was closed was even worse.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
you need to care less about what other guys are driving and more about yourself.

the reason they look similar is COST. you obviously dont understand basic business principles or you would never make a posting such as this.

anyone with a trained eye can tell the difference between an SS and an LT.

and those withouth a trained eye are probably not car enthusiast in the first place and could give a crap less about your 400 horses. so it really does not matter in the long run.

if your unhappy with your camaro ill be glad to take it off your hands.
I'm self-employed and doing well, thanks but I am quite content with my car. Not just content, but excited! You are right. Most people cannot tell, but a little extra flash for the RS package or the SS couldn't hurt. I'm not complaining outright, but I am slightly disappointed. Probably why when I heard the Z28 being developed in a few years, I was a little peeved because I wanted THAT trim because I wanted the best Camaro GM can build. Has nothing to do with a socioeconomic standing as I could have afforded it if it was released this year. I didn't wait for the convertible; it was my choice. I'm not waiting for the Z28; also my choice. I don't regret ever buying this car whatsoever. I'm just throwing my 2 cents in to the previous thread OP's discussion.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
DkknightX
Account Suspended

This thread wasn't designed to replace the other and wasn't meant to have longevity. I fully accept having this thread shut down at any time. I just didn't want to waste my thoughts after I typed them out and couldn't publicize it earlier because the other guy's thread was closed.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
comiskeybum
Banned

Quote:
I'm self-employed and doing well, thanks but I am quite content with my car. Not just content, but excited! You are right. Most people cannot tell, but a little extra flash for the RS package or the SS couldn't hurt. I'm not complaining outright, but I am slightly disappointed. Probably why when I heard the Z28 being developed in a few years, I was a little peeved because I wanted THAT trim because I wanted the best Camaro GM can build. Has nothing to do with a socioeconomic standing as I could have afforded it if it was released this year. I didn't wait for the convertible; it was my choice. I'm not waiting for the Z28; also my choice. I don't regret ever buying this car whatsoever. I'm just throwing my 2 cents in to the previous thread OP's discussion.
still an amazingly stupid posting.

no other car companies make a huge difference that you speak of.

mustang is a prime example. there are no huge differences beyond foglights and a little chrome on the grille.

also the challenger is virtually identical in every respect.

GM had to take taxpayer handouts because it was not controlling cost very well. basically what your asking them to do is spend more on cost which is partly what got them in trouble.

no dice..........FAIL
Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
still an amazingly stupid posting.

no other car companies make a huge difference that you speak of.

mustang is a prime example. there are no huge differences beyond foglights and a little chrome on the grille.

also the challenger is virtually identical in every respect.

GM had to take taxpayer handouts because it was not controlling cost very well. basically what your asking them to do is spend more on cost which is partly what got them in trouble.

no dice..........FAIL
Alright, let's think of it this way. In my own little fantasy world, I envision there being more than subtle differences between LT and SS trims. In the real world, it does not make proper business sense to do this because it doesn't justify any development costs or anything else. It's on my wishlist bro. I'm not disagreeing with you whatsoever. Chill brah.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
comiskeybum
Banned

then why post this crap???

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL
Old 11-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #16
DkknightX
Account Suspended

I've been friendly with you and you feel the need to be rude. Guess certain peoples' manners are FAIL even when I admit they are right.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
comiskeybum
Banned

i just think you could have worded your orig post better. it made you sounds like you need to drive a car that screams " look at me i can afford 40k for a car"

vast percentage of people cont care about power numbers when it comes to cars.

i apologize if i was rude. have a good night. im headed to bed
Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Nah, it has nothing to do with looking like a 40K car. Just looking like most badass Camaro possible! Don't care if it is 20K or 100K. No problem man. Goodnight!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
coolman

Quote:
I've been friendly with you and you feel the need to be rude. Guess certain peoples' manners are FAIL even when I admit they are right.
The other guy was the ass. I thought you were fine. the only thing you did wrong was to drag the other guys thread on by starting your own.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I was really happy to see the V6 models look just as good as the V8's. They appear to have taken a lesson from BMW.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I was really happy to see the V6 models look just as good as the V8's. They appear to have taken a lesson from BMW.
I like the look of the v-6 with the rs package better than the v-8. I think it's cleaner. I just really wanted the v-8.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
The other guy was the ass. I thought you were fine. the only thing you did wrong was to drag the other guys thread on by starting your own.
Yeah, big mistake on my part. Just wish I could have gotten my post in before the last one closed. :(
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #23
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Great to hear from ya Hylton! Haven't seen you post in awhile. Guess I need to be on longer. Hehehe.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #24
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
let me ask you a question. the gripe was RS package between the two. it's an option package that is cheaper on the SS. the LT guys have to pay more to get the package. so with a discount for me paying more for my car I get on the same package should there be more of a difference then red SS badges? probably not. because I (I haven't just putting myself in the SS owners seat) paid for the SS trim that has differences already. but I could be wrong I paid more for the car and get a discount on the package.
To think of the RS being cheaper on the SS as a discount is a silly notion that many people have.. However if you break it down, the difference in price has to do with what the SS already comes stock with like the spoiler for example and the SS rims are basically the same as the RS package rims but painted a different color. In the end when you buy an SS and get the RS package, the only thing extra you are paying for are the HID's..

The place where you can think about losing money is when you order the RS package and then upgrade to the polished aluminum rims.. However the argument there is that the midnight silver RS rims are the same price as the stock painted rims.. However when you get the V6, I don't believe the 19's can be comparable to the 20's in price... So at least in the V6 Camaro, if you upgrade to the RS package (where you get the updated midnight 20's) and then upgrade to the polished, Where is the price difference between the upgrade to the 20's from the 19's that you are not getting?

Quote:
Hasn't the V8 Camaro historically always looked similar to the V6? Great to have you back though Hylton. I love what you did to your car even though for me the perfect Camaro would be one with the Concepts bumper and mailsot exactly copied..

Last edited by Supermans; 11-14-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #25
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Those are actually some great points Supermans!