Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 12-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Yellow Chevy Camaro LS
Plasti Dip Smoke Lens Tint?

Has anyone used this product to tint their lenses? If so how does it hold up? If not what product did you use?
Roto-Fab intake, Vmax throttle body, Painted engine and fuse covers, Strut brace, Elite catch can, Custom yellow vinyl dash and door inserts, Center console gauges, Kicker stereo system, ZL1 pedals, ZL1 Rockers, Rear spoiler, SS Brembo brakes, Russell S.S. brake lines, 20" staggered Foose Legend wheels with Nitto Invo tires.
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I don't know about Plasti Dips product but I have used VHT Nightshades (how ever its permanent) in the past..

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, ZL1 Style Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
CamaroLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
I don't know about Plasti Dips product but I have used VHT Nightshades (how ever its permanent) in the past..
Right. I know people have used that one. Just wondering if Plasti Dip was like the one used on the painted surface where you can pill it off if you want to or is it permanent to? How did you like the VHT product?
Roto-Fab intake, Vmax throttle body, Painted engine and fuse covers, Strut brace, Elite catch can, Custom yellow vinyl dash and door inserts, Center console gauges, Kicker stereo system, ZL1 pedals, ZL1 Rockers, Rear spoiler, SS Brembo brakes, Russell S.S. brake lines, 20" staggered Foose Legend wheels with Nitto Invo tires.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I liked it for what it does, I used it to black out the sidemarkers on my 99 Firebird and they lasted for the 5 years I had it.. I have yet to use it on my Camaro, I just have black out "tint" on my sidemarkers now.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, ZL1 Style Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
CamaroLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13FastBlkSS View Post
I liked it for what it does, I used it to black out the sidemarkers on my 99 Firebird and they lasted for the 5 years I had it.. I have yet to use it on my Camaro, I just have black out "tint" on my sidemarkers now.
That is what I want to do is my side markers. I have the vinyl tint on them right now.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Vai

Drives: In the process of buying a Cam
You can use Plasti dip on your side markers but remember that if they are stock, they will be very dim depending on how thick of a coat you apply. If you have the Oracle side markers, the lights shine through just fine even with a heavy coat of plasti dip. There are a few videos on youtube about people doing the side markers.
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Vai

Drives: In the process of buying a Cam
I know this isn't the camaro but you can get an idea from this vid. There are others on youtube but am feeling a bit lazy lol

Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Nightshade wipes right of with denatured alcohol or a little bit of paint thinner.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
did my wife's Audi TT tail lights with VHT and clear on top for the gloss effect. in the process of trying to figure out how to get the stupid tail lights off the Camaro so i can do them. The Camaro tail lights are a PITA

Here is a before and some afters on my wife's Audi TT with the VHT nightshade and clear coated

before

after with camera flash

without flash and how it looks in person
LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
CamaroLS

Looks great LiquidDragon!!! That is how I want my side markers to look. Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
The Plasti Dip Smoke is made for lenses, and is the same as regular plasti dip but is semi transparent. The more coats you apply the darker it is.
Here is someone on EBay selling it.
http://bit.ly/1bzPcuU
Or you can get it from Dipyourcar.com

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Mark114

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS CRT M6
I have seen other C5 threads that smoke is very difficult to spray in a consistent layer without light and dark patches. The good news is that it is easy to remove if you don't like it.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'd stick with the tint stickers be cause plastidip will work but looks best only when applied liberally and that means very dim lights compared to a film tint

KW3 Coilovers - Boze Wheels - Nitto Invo - TSP Headers - RotoFab - QTP Cutouts THANKS DON @ SLOWHAWK PERFORMANCE
revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
AG1LE

Drives: '14 RRM 2SS/RS/1LE
I used BigWorm lamin-x film (Gun Smoke)
Attached Images

AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote