Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Maclain

Drives: 2LT
Oil Pressure Spike on V6 ?

Hey folks,

My 2LT V6 now has 1,000 miles on it... had the dealership change the oil at 500mi, they put in 10w30, next day I had a different dealership drain it and put in 5w30. I have broken it in under load, per Darin etc.

Problem: At a dead stop, my Oil Pressure guage reads about halfway between the first hash mark and 30 p.s.i. When I accelerate slowly, using about 1/3rd throttle, the Oil Pressure guage climbs to max at 70 p.s.i., actually just a hair over the max pressure mark. It takes it about 3 or 4 seconds to do this. When I take my foot off the gas, the needle slowly falls back down.

This can't be right.

I called the dealership, and they said something is wrong, and I need to drop it off monday.

Is this kind of pressure, the way I have been driving it WOT (after engine and tranny warmed up fully), going to screw something up long term?

Thanks in advance for the help

-- Mac

Last edited by Maclain; 11-14-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: edit: just for clarification, it is "pegging" the Oil Pressure guage at 70 when I give it gas.
Maclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Dave the Mule

Drives: 2LT/RS
My 2LT now has about 1000 miles on it. It shows 70 when the engine is cold but works its way back down to around 30 when it warms up. I think I read somewhere on one of these threads that a 70 psi reading some of the time is normal.

It's good you drained out the 10w30 and put the proper 5w30 back in. I doubt that the thicker oil did any damage.
Dave the Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
My dealer said it was OK He said this Gauge is very precise.....
Mine goes to 70 every time I give it gas.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
alan422

Drives: Rally Yellow LT2 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Mule View Post
My 2LT now has about 1000 miles on it. It shows 70 when the engine is cold but works its way back down to around 30 when it warms up. I think I read somewhere on one of these threads that a 70 psi reading some of the time is normal.

It's good you drained out the 10w30 and put the proper 5w30 back in. I doubt that the thicker oil did any damage.
Mine does the same thing... Up to 70 psi when cold then works down to 30 when its warmed up.
alan422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Maclain

But when it's warmed up completely, do your engines climb to max pressure when u accelerate ?

edit: RickRay, did you talk to a service manager, a salesman, or one of the mechanics at the dealership?

I just can't imagine this could be normal.... I would think that if the pressure climbing to 70 psi was normal, then the guage would go to 100 psi max or something like that.

This worries me, and I don't trust the dealership people here in the Houston area.

-- Mac
Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Darin Morgan
Reher Morrison Racing

Drives: Inferno Orange SS/RS
I have some questions.

(1) Did the oil pressure "problem" occur after you changed the oil but was not present before you changed the oil?

(2) You guys are say that its at about 70psi cold. What are you guys calling "cold"?

(3)Did the car do this oil pressure dance from day one,or it started later?

The bottom line here is that it could be a multitude of factors BUT if it has not hurt anything yet, it probably never will. The hydrodynamic pressure that the bearing "floats" on has far less to do with pressure than you might think. Oil flow is just as important to bearing life. Flow cools the bearing and pressure feeds just feeds the flow. The amount of pressure can be relative to viscosity, oil gallery layout, bad oil filter bypass or blocked passage. Having high Pressure doesn't mean your safe. Look at it this way,,,. If you block all the oil off to all the bearings in the engine, you have all the pressure in the world and no flow! If you have good pressure and the oil heats up, it can mean that the flow has picked up due to a reduction in viscosity and the pump is working less to pump it. It can also mean you have a big time problem! The good news is, if you had a big time problem it would have shown its ugly face in the milliseconds it takes to burn a bearing which kills anywhere from 65hp to 125hp right before it snaps a rod in two or seizes the engine. The power drop from a burnt bearing is VERY noticeable.
2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM, 475rwhp 415ft/lbs Cam-232°/245° .612 .612 113LSA. Precision 3500 stall, New Era CAI. Reher Morrison Heads, Manifold and TB. Ferrea H-stems, dual springs, Ti-retainers. American Racing long tubes-Xpipe, High flow CATs, "S"type Borla's. 160F Thermo.
VVT ACTIVE! Thanks to New Era Performance!

Darin Morgan
-Induction R&D-EFI calibration
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmSale3.htm
Phone 817-467-7171
cell 682-559-0321

Darin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
RickRay
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Morgan View Post
I have some questions.

(1) Did the oil pressure "problem" occur after you changed the oil but was not present before you changed the oil?

(2) You guys are say that its at about 70psi cold. What are you guys calling "cold"?

The bottom line here is that it could be a multitude of factors BUT if it has not hurt anything yet, it probably never will. The hydrodynamic pressure that the bearing "floats" on has far less to do with pressure than you might think. Oil flow is just as important to bearing life. Flow cools the bearing and pressure feeds just feeds the flow. The amount of pressure can be relative to viscosity, oil gallery layout, bad oil filter bypass or blocked passage. Having high Pressure doesn't mean your safe. Look at it this way,,,. If you block all the oil off to all the bearings in the engine, you have all the pressure in the world and no flow! If you have good pressure and the oil heats up, it can mean that the flow has picked up due to a reduction in viscosity and the pump is working less to pump it. It can also mean you have a big time problem! The good news is, if you had a big time problem it would have shown its ugly face in the milliseconds it takes to burn a bearing which kills anywhere from 65hp to 125hp right before it snaps a rod in two or seizes the engine. The power drop from a burnt bearing is VERY noticeable.

1) To be honest I only noticed it after the oil Change..
2) The initial start of the day or many hours of shut eye..
3) See # 1....Hopefully someone else could answer that one before the oil change!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Mine does this everytime I hit the gas. Over 2k miles now.
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
RickRay
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclain View Post
But when it's warmed up completely, do your engines climb to max pressure when u accelerate ?

edit: RickRay, did you talk to a service manager, a salesman, or one of the mechanics at the dealership?

I just can't imagine this could be normal.... I would think that if the pressure climbing to 70 psi was normal, then the guage would go to 100 psi max or something like that.

This worries me, and I don't trust the dealership people here in the Houston area.

-- Mac
A salesman, who asked one of the mechanics..

I PM fbodfather with this dilemma awhile back but did not get an answer. I was hoping one of the GM engineers would give us a straight answer.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Hmmm... I see if I can datalog my oil pressure...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Maclain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Morgan View Post
I have some questions.

Darin, thanks for responding.

(1) I don't know.... I was not watching the pressure guage before the oil change.

(3) Again, don't know. I only watched the pressure guage after the 500 mile oil change. I was only concerned with the oil temp and tranny temp guages, making sure everything was warm before I started loading the engine.

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow and leaving it with them, because the service manager talked to one of his mechanics who thought it "didn't sound right." Maybe this is normal.... I just thought that if it was normal for the oil pressure to climb to 70, the gauge would go to 100 or something above the normal pressure.

Just think it's odd that it would peg the guage, even under slow acceleration.

RickRay I was hoping the same thing, about someone from GM chiming in about this.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Watched my oil pressure this morning with my Dashhawk... so I'm getting the digital oil pressure the car's computer is seeing... It appears the analog oil pressure gauge is not completely accurate. It's reads high when the oil pressure is high and reads low when the pressure is lower...

For example... cold start up this morning. Oil pressure gauge, the needle was a bit past 70 yet the computer said the oil pressure was 67 to 68 PSI... Driving to work when I got on the gas the oil pressure would actually spike up to close to 80... i see 78 psi for sure... i think once i seen 79 psi. So well beyond the 70 psi max of the analog gauge..

Cruising on the high way the oil pressure was in the mid-50s... analog gauge seem to show what I would consider a bit higher.. perhaps in the 60s...

At work... at idle the pressure was low to mid 30s... now the analog gauge appears to read a bit low... needle seem to be more down around the low 20s...

Also I'm thinking the oil pressure is dependent on RPM, not how fast you are accelerating...
Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
I also have a 2LT RS and am breaking in hard. My oil pressure gauge has spiked like that, in conjunction with higher rpms when making a hard run from a rolling start, since I drove off the lot.

I'm not that worried about it. It just made sense to me that oil pressure would ramp up with a hard rev.

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Mine has been the same sense I got it. I never gave it a second thought Higher revs = higher oil pressure who knew
June 15,1919-
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
Mine has been the same sense I got it. I never gave it a second thought Higher revs = higher oil pressure who knew
I think part of the issue/confusion is normally when you have a gauge/meter it typically is not normal for the needle to go PAST IT... If the temp gauge were to go past the last marking would you think that normal?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
I think part of the issue/confusion is normally when you have a gauge/meter it typically is not normal for the needle to go PAST IT... If the temp gauge were to go past the last marking would you think that normal?
We are talking about oil pressure not water temps... As you stated in an earlier post these analog gauges are not calibrated. Reason for my lack of concern is that the gauge is fluctuating with differing RPM's. now If I'm at idle and the gauge is pegged than I'm concerned and would look at other indicators/performance in the car to evaluate if there is a problem but to have one gage operate according to RPMs I'm not concerned when all other systems/performance indicate no trouble. Perhaps... the V8s oil pressures are lower than ours and this gauge was created for them and we were an after thought
June 15,1919-
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Mule View Post

10w30 and 5w30 are the same viscosity at operating temp, its only during startup that they differ in viscosity

30 psi at idle is normal. 70 psi during acceleration or under load is normal
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
30 psi at idle is normal. 70 psi during acceleration or under load is normal
Yep, this is exactly what my car does as well. It appears to be very typical.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Mine does to...thanks for this post. Concluding we are all ok! Put the pedal to the floor and do not worry about that guage anymore.

best
J
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
Maclain

Took it in to the dealer monday, 6 hrs later they call me and say it's ready.

The service manager said they replaced the sending unit. Just to confirm, because he said nothing else, I asked "OK great, so the sending unit was bad?"

His response: Oh, yeah, it was a bad sending unit.

Drove it off, warmed it up, and it's doing the same thing. Under acceleration, the guage needle goes beyond the max 70 psi.

Thanks for all the responses.... CamaroSpike, I hope you're right.

Just makes sense that if it was normal to hit 70+ psi, the guage would go to 90 or 100.

Again, thanks for all the responses folks.

--Maclain
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
well now you know its normal...two guages would not both be broken the exact same way. Enjoy
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #22
Toastylicious
My car goes Vrooom.. You?

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro LS
Ya but the owners manual specifically says to not put 10w-30 in this vehicle because it might cause harm to the engine, if I read it correctly.
Toastylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Maclain

I apologize for not responding with the end results.....

The dealership (Classic Chevy in Sugar Land, TX) called me and said there is a GM service bulletin regarding the issue, due to numerous customer inquiries.

The service bulletin states that the V6 engine is a high pressure engine, and the oil pressure guage maxing is normal.

My guess is that the V8 engine operates at a lower oil pressure, and the oil pressure guage was originally designed/calibrated for the V8, and GM just used the same guage for the V6's to save money.

Thanks for all the responses and help everyone.

Mac
Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #24
J_Dog

Drives: 2010 Silver 2LT/RS 20's
Hi, I just picked up my 2LT last night, I put about 160 miles on it so far. Doing the same thing you guys are talking about. Bought mine at Buff Whelan Chevrolet in Sterling Hts. Mi. Taking it in Monday for them to have a look anyways. I am concerned. I have NEVER had a oil pressure gage in 20 years in a lot of different cars act this way. It is NOT acceptable in my opinion.
J_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
There is a service notice on this........... Says to ignore it. I have for 6000 miles with no problems.