Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Toyota to Fix Accelerators after Largest US Recall

Toyota to fix accelerators after largest US recall ever
Link to article

By Mark Kleis
November 14, 2009

Quote:
Toyota will soon fix or replace the accelerator pedals on up to 4 million Toyotas and Lexus vehicles in the US. This comes after Toyota Corp’s largest-ever recall of 3.8 million vehicles over potential for a loose floormat to force down the accelerator causing unintended acceleration.

The report coming from the Kyodo news stated that Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) had been discussing the need for a solution beyond the replacement of floormats and are in the final stages of agreeing upon a solution.

According to the report, it is likely that Toyota will voluntarily repair or replace the accelerators out of approximately 4 million vehicles in the US. The report suggests that Toyota preferred this solution as they do not believe that the vehicles’ pedals are defective – and thus do no warrant an official recall.

The NHTSA indicated today that at this time the decision on what parts will need to be replaced or repaired is still under investigation – suggesting that the accelerator pedal is only one of the possible fixes under consideration at this time.

Hideaki Honma, a Toyota spokesman, said that Toyota and the NHTSA have not reached an agreement on this matter and that talks are on-going.

The report also pointed out that the vehicles most likely to be targeted by the eventual solution will include the Toyota Prius, Camry, Avalon, Tacoma and Tundra as well as the Lexus IS250, IS350 and ES350 models.

Since 2000 there have been over 2,000 documented cases of unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles, and as many as 19 deaths from resulting crashes – Federal regulators say that is far more than any other automaker has experienced.

A class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of victims of unintended acceleration accidents against Toyota is still in early stages at this time.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2000 Ford Ranger XLT (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Are they going to be reprogramming the DBW system?

Sounds like another cop-out fix if you ask me...
- X
Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
they still dont believe anything is wrong with the cars? jesus......................
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Has this made the news yet? If it was GM it'd be a cover story on CNN.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Drives: 2007 Chevy Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Has this made the news yet? If it was GM it'd be a cover story on CNN.

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Dave_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Toyota quality yet again...duck and cover.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
nasty2ss

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss IOM
There is nothing wrong with these cars. Just because someone stacks after market matts on top of the factory matts and they jamb under the gas petal how is that toyotas fault?
nasty2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty2ss View Post
There is nothing wrong with these cars. Just because someone stacks after market matts on top of the factory matts and they jamb under the gas petal how is that toyotas fault?
Car's are still expiriencing random acceleration without the ''matts''.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the matt solution was a quick fix attempt for Toyota to make it look like there wasn't a serious problem they are liable for.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
You need to do some more research on this topic...there are more than enough accounts of people who don't even have floormats installed in their toyotas encountering the same problem.

It has nothing to do with floormats or accelerator pedals. Something is wrong with the ECU that controls the throttle, and toyota is just too proud and too stubborn to admit it.

The silver lining in all of this? Toyota wanted to be GM so badly that they're now doing exactly what old GM used to do - ignore their customers...and we all know what that road leads to.

By the way, the damn floormats can barely even move...

Old 11-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Something tells me Yahoo won't be doing an article about Toyota trying to cover this one up.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
:bangdesk:
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Get informed. Wait a minute, were you being a wisenheimer?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
they still dont believe anything is wrong with the cars? jesus......................
I believe it's more of a case of not wanting to ADMIT there is a problem and be liable for the deaths, injuries, cost of full blown recall to fix the actual problem, and damaged reputation. I fully believe they know there is a problem and probably what it is. They'd rather just let to bodies stack up to "save face".
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
I believe it's more of a case of not wanting to ADMIT there is a problem and be liable for the deaths, injuries, cost of full blown recall to fix the actual problem, and damaged reputation. I fully believe they know there is a problem and probably what it is. They'd rather just let to bodies stack up to "save face".
Personally, I think having a slight quirk in the (HIGHLY complex) computer program is less embarrassing than simply designing throttle pedals without enough clearance. Seriously - even if it was the throttle pedal, how do you not catch that?
- X
Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
coolman

I guess they'll have to kill some more people before they get serious about fixing the real problem.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
RobAGD

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT
They can't admit there is a problem for legal reason, as there is a Class Action Lawsuit in process.

If it were a programing issue don't you think it would be a cheaper fix to re flash the cars vs actually replacing parts ?

-R
Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If they can pin the blame on "operator error" (i.e. bunched up floormat, pushing the wrong pedal, etc.) then they can pretend to be "helping" by offering to provide a "fix" out of the goodness of their hearts. They can give the impression that the design is fine but they will "improve" it by replacing the matts or even the pedals to make it so that "operator error" cannot happen anymore.

This replacement of a few simple cheap parts is way more cost effective than admitting a design flaw and subjecting themselves to the legal responsibility of paying the lawsuits.

As an added bonus, they can covertly reflash the car when it's in the shop for the matts and the instances of sudden acceleration will show a decline and "prove" that the matts were the cause when anyone in the future tries to sue.

All nice and tidy.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If they can pin the blame on "operator error" (i.e. bunched up floormat, pushing the wrong pedal, etc.) then they can pretend to be "helping" by offering to provide a "fix" out of the goodness of their hearts. They can give the impression that the design is fine but they will "improve" it by replacing the matts or even the pedals to make it so that "operator error" cannot happen anymore.

This replacement of a few simple cheap parts is way more cost effective than admitting a design flaw and subjecting themselves to the legal responsibility of paying the lawsuits.

As an added bonus, they can covertly reflash the car when it's in the shop for the matts and the instances of sudden acceleration will show a decline and "prove" that the matts were the cause when anyone in the future tries to sue.

All nice and tidy.
That sounds about right.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
FenwickHockey65

Quote:

All nice and tidy.
Bingo.

You know toyota is the exact kind of company to pull that kind of bullsh*t, too. The owners of these defective cars need to raise hell and make sure everyone knows about it.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why would they insist nothing is wrong and still replace the pedals? Something isn't right here.
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #21
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
That sounds about right.
I forgot to stress the point that by offering this helpful "improvement" to aid poor drivers and prevent them from hurting themselves, they will become more endeared by the media and their fans. They will tout this recall as an example of their stellar care for human life and humanity in general. You will read about this supreme selfless act of humanitarianism in reviews for many years to come.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

All nice and tidy.
As much fun as these sorts of theories are, there's no way they could pull that off. All it would take is someone to notice the TSB (recall notice, whatever) that included a reprogram and the NHTSA would be all over it. Just like they were all over these incidents years ago.....

Really, I don't think they could pull it off. This issue isn't going away anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Why would they insist nothing is wrong and still replace the pedals? Something isn't right here.
The NHTSA is forcing them. http://www.leftlanenews.com/nhtsa-sa...isleading.html
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
coolman

Quote:
I forgot to stress the point that by offering this helpful "improvement" to aid poor drivers and prevent them from hurting themselves, they will become more endeared by the media and their fans. They will tout this recall as an example of their stellar care for human life and humanity in general. You will read about this supreme selfless act of humanitarianism in reviews for many years to come.
I think you have thing whole figured out.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
As much fun as these sorts of theories are, there's no way they could pull that off. All it would take is someone to notice the TSB (recall notice, whatever) that included a reprogram and the NHTSA would be all over it. Just like they were all over these incidents years ago.....

Really, I don't think they could pull it off. This issue isn't going away anytime soon.

The NHTSA is forcing them. http://www.leftlanenews.com/nhtsa-sa...isleading.html
What makes you think they will TELL us they flashed the car?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #25
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 11VR2SSA6
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
What makes you think they will TELL us they flashed the car?
I'm with Captain Awesome on this. Toyota probably has an understanding of the issue but refuses to admit their engineering flaw for their design flaw because floor mats are believable to the foolish public who probably don't know what drive-by-wire means. Toyota probably instructs their idiot dealers to flash the cars that come in for the recall, and they will do it because Toyota said to do it without missing a beat in the bold lies of reliability that they will tell their customers.

I believe that they have an engineering problem. The tune is glitchy and causing some cars to accelerate to speeds that many of us joke a Toyota could never meet. All jokes aside, this is a really scary problem, and it would be unbelievable that floor mats would cause this, so the NHTSA is mandating changes that will make Toyota either admit that they know the problem is something else or will stop Toyota from blaming something so ridiculous. A mat sits there. An accelerator accelerates the car. The NHTSA doesn't care about the mat but does care about the sticky accelerator, so mandating replacement makes a lot of sense. Toyota will oblige to protect itself from blame for bad engineering in the general public, but every idiot dealer will probably plug in new programming without even knowing the pedal was never the problem.

I swear it's like doing business with the NSA. They'll cover this like the US protects its national security interests.
The_Blur is online now   Reply With Quote