Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
The Misfit

Well, I've owned my first Camaro for a little more than 3 months, putting about 3100 miles on it. So here's my build thread. Don't hold your breath, I'm not swimming in cash right now so this might take a few years (hopefully less). I love the 1LE but I didn't get it because I don't see the point in spending an additional $3600 on extra stuff that I'm just going to end up replacing anyways. The only thing that would have been nice is the 3.91 gears, but I'll just have to take care of that too now.

Name:  IMG_1901.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  124.1 KB
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  509.6 KB
^I can't figure out how to rotate this picture.

The first 250 miles: Picked up my Black 2014 1SS at the dealership on 30 October 2013 with 4 miles on the odometer. After my 27 mile drive home, with 31 miles on the odometer I changed the oil to some Joe Gibbs Driven BR30 oil (added magnetic drain plug). Added skip shift eliminator, CAI intake, and Apex catch can. At 250 miles I installed my Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries), high flow cats, 3" retro catback exhaust, Apex intake scoop and washer bottle relocate. Changed the oil again to Penzoil Ultra 10W30. Tuned by JRE.

Break-in process: I did the best I could to pull off a hard break-in. During this process I was either on the gas or coasting. Took it to the backroads and did a lot of 5-80 MPH pulls making sure not to engine brake during the entire process. Also , I never drove it before the engine oil was at operating temperature and never more than 1 hour before letting it cool. Used BR30 break-in oil at 31-250 miles, then changed to Penzoil Ultra 10W30 at 250 miles. Additional oil changes at 1000 miles and 2500 miles on the Odometer.

Power: It's never been on the Dyno but I plan on doing it soon. I can speculate based on similar builds and dyno sheets that I am somewhere between 405-415 RWHP. I haven't taken it to the track due to weather and I won't speculate on any numbers with that.

Cosmetics: Currently no major cosmetic modifications. I did pull the badges and painted them matte black. This was before I realized that plastidip existed, and I plan on redoing them. During my last car wash one of my badges chipped.

Name:  IMG_1914.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  88.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1953.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  143.0 KB
Name:  IMG_1954.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  154.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1966.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  111.9 KB

CURRENT MODS

Performance:
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
SW 2" LT Headers (HFC)
SW 3" Retro Catback
CAI Intake
APEX Race Scoop (washer bottle relocate)
APEX Catch Can
Skip Shift Eliminator

Cosmetic:
Matte Black Badges
Oracle HALO kit (2014 non-RS)
Big Worm Graphix Blackout kit

IN PROGRESS

Cosmetic:
PlastiDip Wheels Satin Black
35% window tint

WISH LIST

Performance:
Whipple 2.9L S/C
Zex Wet Plate Nitrous
JRE Rough Idle Blower Cam
25% U/D Pulley
Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump
C5R Timing Chain
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Centerforce Aluminum Flywheel
3.91 Gears

Suspension:
BMR FE4 Front/Rear Sway Bars
BMR 1" Lowering Springs
BMR Toe Rods
BMR Trailing Arms
BMR Total Suspension Bushing Kit Pro
BMR Subframe Connectors
CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Apex Motorsports Catch Can, Apex Intake Scoop/Washer Bottle Relocate, Skip Shift Eliminator, Stainless Works 2" Headers, High Flow Cats, Retro Catback Exhaust, JRE Tune...more to follow

12.6087 1/4 ET @ 113.98MPH on stock tires.

Last edited by Misfit; 02-23-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Supercharged LS3
Well you certainly didn't wait a second to get started on building your baby haha, Keep it up and ill see you at Mod addicts anonymous
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
"welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Where in North Carolina are you located? I am assuming Bragg?
there is an upcoming event in NC this June, I think it is called Camaros for Heroes, it benefits thw wounded Warrior project, check it out, you will probably love it
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Where in North Carolina are you located? I am assuming Bragg?
there is an upcoming event in NC this June, I think it is called Camaros for Heroes, it benefits thw wounded Warrior project, check it out, you will probably love it
Thanks for the tip. I just looked it up and it's going to be at the Fayetteville speedway this year in June. I'll have to check that out.
CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, Apex Motorsports Catch Can, Apex Intake Scoop/Washer Bottle Relocate, Skip Shift Eliminator, Stainless Works 2" Headers, High Flow Cats, Retro Catback Exhaust, JRE Tune...more to follow

Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Misfit
Jumpmaster

Alright so, I added my VMAX ported throttle body last week. What a huge difference in throttle response. I can't really describe it completely but there is definitely a difference.

Also worked on the cosmetics and I'll post some pictures in the next few days. So I installed the Oracle halo kit from AAC Style. Would love to say that was an easy install, but really it involved a lot of cursing and frustration at getting the lens covers off the headlights. Took me about 2 and a half hours total to get them off then another hour to install the halos and get everything put back together. Had to wait another 3 hours for my silicone sealant to cure and them put everything back together. Overall, after the lens covers were off it was easy enough. Wired them into my headlights/DRLs (same thing on the 2014s). They look really good but now I need to replace my headlight bulbs because the halos are really white and my headlights are really yellow. Got some Oracle HOD H11 lights on the way. I'll take pictures when I get them installed.

Only other thing I got done this weekend was installing the blackout kit from Big Worm Graphix. Not really impressed. The vinyl covers don't really cover the lights completely so from the sides you can see the red lens cover. Also had a lot of issues getting all the bubbles out on the tail light portions. Didn't get them all out and now I'm probably going to remove them and just get some lens tint in a rattle can and see how that works out (try it on some test lights first).

If anyone is wondering, the front fascia and bumper comes off exactly like on the 2010-2013 models. Really easy to do, just a few bolts that are somewhat difficult to reach and even harder to get back in.