Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Bad Tire Pressure Monitor System

I was informed by On-Star to fill my tires with air because they were too low. I finally did get around to it tonight and carefully tried to fill them. I was filling them up and removing air as necessary very carefully. My car started beeping after I serviced each tire. Then I started my car up and gave me these messages. I took pictures of the DAC with my cell phone but ultimately I cannot get PSI readings on any tire anymore. I purchased a digital monitor as well tonight to make sure that dispite the system malfunctioning, I could ensure I have the right tire pressure. On-Star was useless, but I'm wondering instead of bringing my car in for service, is there any way of resetting the tire monitoring system back to default again? I saw something on the DAC about relearning but it didn't do anything. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Might want to pick up an OBD II scanner or borrow one and take a look at it, You may be able to reset the sensor. I highly doubt all the sensors went bad at the same time. The reset may clear things up. If it's more than that, it may be covered under waranty.
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
DIC has a program to re-learn for the sensors?? I thought I read something about it.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
I think you have to take it to the dealer and let them solve it themselves! I did not order my Camaro yet! but I have a Chevrolet Traverse LT and everytime I check the tire pressure monitor it reads different all the time!! I think there is something wrong with their monitors/sensors in these new cars, not just the Camaro!!
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
latinoslife

Drives: silver ice 2010 camaro 2lt RS
mines did that i took it to dealer they said i needed some sort of update that was a week ago no problems but lets c how it goes when i get my tires replaced

[IMG][CENTER][/IMG]
latinoslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
shockandawe

Drives: 2006 LeMans Blue C6 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinoslife View Post
mines did that i took it to dealer they said i needed some sort of update that was a week ago no problems but lets c how it goes when i get my tires replaced
No,no if the sensors are bad, you need to replace them, not the tires!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
brAnd7onX
Team L99

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS IOM
In most cars with the tire pressure monitoring system the reset button is in the glove box. Is there one??
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Good thinking! I'll have to check. Let you guys know. It was weird, as I was filling each tire, the horn would sound I guess to let me know whether the tires had too much or too little air. If I can't find it, I'll have to call my dealer. Going to suck wasting time resetting these tire pressure sensors. The wheels themselves are at the correct pressure. That handheld electronic tire pressure reader is awesome. No guessing. Reads in increments of .5 PSI Pretty accurate if you ask me.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
I had issues with mine until I

Just saying,
Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
DkknightX
Account Suspended

But did you actually get that message about "Service Tire Pressure Monitor System?"
Old 11-17-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
Mzodarg

If I recall correctly, I did get that message (my memory ain't for sh!t these days). Then I read the book and all was well.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #12
BruceJames

Drives: 2010 SS2 RS Inferno Orange
READ the MANUAL! It tells you how to reset the stuff.. The beeping is indicating a reset..
You have to go to the DIC.. set it to reprogram the Pressure Monitor..then add or subtract air in EACH tire starting with the front drivers side..and then front passenger.. rear passenger then rear driver side tires till the horn beeps for EACH tire.. READ UP ...It's in there
BruceJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #13
Lumina SS
Corvette Z51

Drives: Corvette Z51 476rwhp & camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HashimAzzouz View Post
I think you have to take it to the dealer and let them solve it themselves! I did not order my Camaro yet! but I have a Chevrolet Traverse LT and everytime I check the tire pressure monitor it reads different all the time!! I think there is something wrong with their monitors/sensors in these new cars, not just the Camaro!!
the monitor change every time because when the tire is cold the pressure became low but when you drive the car and the tire move the tire become hot and the pressure become high that why it's keep changing every time.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #14
Lumina SS
Corvette Z51

Drives: Corvette Z51 476rwhp & camaro
i did get it in my corvette because one of my rim is not good because i hit something in the road sometimes it read the tire is flat but sometimes it's read it fine
Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJames View Post
READ the MANUAL! It tells you how to reset the stuff.. The beeping is indicating a reset..
You have to go to the DIC.. set it to reprogram the Pressure Monitor..then add or subtract air in EACH tire starting with the front drivers side..and then front passenger.. rear passenger then rear driver side tires till the horn beeps for EACH tire.. READ UP ...It's in there
You were absolutely right. Even at 5AM EST, I went to the gas station, read the manual and was able to reset the TPM and then fill all the tires back to 37 and now are reading properly in the DIC. Wish there was a way to do that and keep the horn silent, perhaps having the headlights or hazards flash. Thanks again all! Was afraid I would have had to bring my car in for servicing. Man, the layman who doesn't know anything about cars would never know how to do this themselves. Thank God for C5 and literacy!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #16
brAnd7onX
Team L99

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
You were absolutely right. Even at 5AM EST, I went to the gas station, read the manual and was able to reset the TPM and then fill all the tires back to 37 and now are reading properly in the DIC. Wish there was a way to do that and keep the horn silent, perhaps having the headlights or hazards flash. Thanks again all! Was afraid I would have had to bring my car in for servicing. Man, the layman who doesn't know anything about cars would never know how to do this themselves. Thank God for C5 and literacy!
I'm glad to see you got it resolved and you dont have to take it in, enjoy your SS!
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Thanks man! All help and information is appreciated!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #18
Mzodarg

Think I said it all in post number 9, Read the book.

Just saying- Glad you figured it out.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #19
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
Yep it is a PITA to get these set right. I went through the reset process and had to do it twice. I still have one tire off. Seems like it take a little time for it to settle out.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJames View Post
yes, it's in the manual. i had to do this the other day after i got an email about low tire pressure. I proceeded to add air to the tire and had turned the car off during the tire pressure sequence and I got the blank dashes for each tire pressure on the screen. I then followed the instructions and went around to each tire adjusting the pressure, got all 4 to beep then had the system relearn and it worked fine afterward. good luck.

the tire pressure varies usually 5 psi or more from cold to warm during a single day.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
567234ta

Drives: 1996 gmc ecsb 408 ci SC 4l80e
darn it, i was just playing around and pushed the reset, horn honked 2 times, and i got the error. i cant find my owners manual yet because i recently moved. any place online i can find the procedure?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 567234ta View Post
darn it, i was just playing around and pushed the reset, horn honked 2 times, and i got the error. i cant find my owners manual yet because i recently moved. any place online i can find the procedure?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ers+manual+pdf
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #23
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HashimAzzouz View Post
This is normal. The air pressure in your tires goes up and down with changes in the weather (temperature, barometer) as well as driving conditions (driving raises the temperature of the tires and the air inside expands and raises the pressure... spirited driving heats the tires and raises the pressure inside even more)

Plus, the monitor devices are probably only accurate to 1PSI, so if you have 32.5PSI in the tire the reading may jump around between 32 and 33 (called "dithering")

Hope this answers your issue.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #24
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Yep just got mine last week and am having a similar issue. One minute it says 36 all around then 1 min later its 31 37 32 34 then minute later its 40 all around then yet again all low numbers.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #25
567234ta

Drives: 1996 gmc ecsb 408 ci SC 4l80e
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
man i been going thru boxes for hours with no luck, thank you so much.