Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 835 76.19%
No 261 23.81%
Voters: 1096. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #476
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
The original Z/28 Camaro was a stripped-down lightweight model with less creature comfort equipment than the Camaro SS. And its 302 was the smallest V8 engine in any Camaro model back then. Maybe with gas prices and the economy both headed in the wrong direction, GM will return the Z/28 to its roots and make it lighter and with limited optional equipment and put their 260hp turbo 4-cylinder in it. Wouldn't that be something!
This topic is supposed to make GM know we want a supercharged Z28.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give them such bad ideas!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #477
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
This topic is supposed to make GM know we want a supercharged Z28.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't give them such bad ideas!!!!
I know that we both want the same thing, a blown Z. But I'd be pretty interested in a touring version. That'd make for some fun weekend autocross, or just country road driving..... Yes, I'd rather have the Raw Wicked power of a factory supercharger. But, I'm curious about the other...

BoxMonkey has pretty much been the most outspoken proponent of this. But I'm starting to see why it could be pretty cool.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #478
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I know that we both want the same thing, a blown Z. But I'd be pretty interested in a touring version. That'd make for some fun weekend autocross, or just country road driving..... Yes, I'd rather have the Raw Wicked power of a factory supercharger. But, I'm curious about the other...

BoxMonkey has pretty much been the most outspoken proponent of this. But I'm starting to see why it could be pretty cool.
Country road driving was a lot of fun back in the early '70s with a '69 Z/28 (of course there was a lot less traffic then), it had plenty of power for the straights, but it was the handling and sheer fun of straightening out roads that could make you spend hours just driving. I also belonged to a local Chevy high performance club that organized rallies and day trips, since the president of the club also had a Z/28, the roads chosen were usually interesting (and could be a PITA for the SS members). And that's what a Z/28 should be about, good power with superb handling to provide an exciting drive, not something to simply provide excitement in 10-12 second increments.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #479
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
And that's what a Z/28 should be about, good power with superb handling to provide an exciting drive, not something to simply provide excitement in 10-12 second increments.
Clyde
I agree. I know many want the ability to load up a Z/28 but I think it should be about performance first and convenience second.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #480
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
The original Z/28 Camaro was a stripped-down lightweight model with less creature comfort equipment than the Camaro SS. And its 302 was the smallest V8 engine in any Camaro model back then.

Maybe with gas prices and the economy both headed in the wrong direction, GM will return the Z/28 to its roots and make it lighter and with limited optional equipment and put their 260hp turbo 4-cylinder in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
All I'm going to say is prepare to get flamed for that statement. Everyone here who is a true enthusiast has already stated what the original Z28 was.

I respectfully disagree with how you view a Z28 should be brought back. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Why should I get "flamed" for that post?
Was my description of the original Z/28 wrong in any way?
Aren't both gas prices and the economy bad currently?
Per the August 4th AutoWeek, GM already has a Camaro tester with the 260hp turbo 4 in it, but its "not currently in the production plan".
And I only said it would be something - not that it would be something good.

I'm 59 years old. My first car (bought with my own money in 1968) was a '62 'vette. I had to sell it when I found that 2 years insurance as a teenager with a 'vette would be more than I paid for the car itself. Mom knew the wife of a Chevy dealer who would give me a deal on a car. He had a used '67 Shelby GT500 (that belched oily smoke and ran poorly), a used '68 Camaro Z/28 (that looked sharp and ran okay), and a new '69 Chevelle SS396/375hp. Driving the SS396 right after the Z/28 made me choose the SS396. The rectangular port big block engine was fabulous. That car was my prized possession until it was stolen in 1975 and never seen again. I had added an Edelbrock TM2R manifold, Holley 800cfm, Hooker 2265 headers (that I had chrome-plated), Hurst competition plus, and a few other things. While I had that SS396, I bought a used '70-1/2 hugger orange with black stripes Z/28. I tried running an Edelbrock STR10 street tunnel ram (cross-ram) manifold with two 600cfm Holleys to utilize the 4.56:1 gears in that Camaro. It was never as fast as the SS396, so I sold it in order to buy a '64 'vette coupe from a friend who I had helped swap a late '60s 427/390hp motor into. I bought a '76 limited edition black and gold with T-tops Trans Am after the SS396 was stolen in '75. I sold the '64 'vette in 1980 to bank some money just before getting married, figuring I'd get to replace that 'vette when we were better settled financially. But classic 'vette prices soared and I never got another. There's more to my car history if anyone is interested. But I just related the early stuff so you would understand my long love of Chevy power.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #481
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Why should I get "flamed" for that post?
Was my description of the original Z/28 wrong in any way?
Aren't both gas prices and the economy bad currently?
Per the August 4th AutoWeek, GM already has a Camaro tester with the 260hp turbo 4 in it, but its "not currently in the production plan".
And I only said it would be something - not that it would be something good.
I did say flamed because this topic is a very passionate topic for quite a few people and if you have seen the entire thread then you'd understand why I said that. but it looks like you haven't read the entire thread so it's all good.

I didn't disagree on you with anything except calling a turbo 4 the Z28. the original Z was still a V8 and should remain a v8. weather it's smaller then the 6.2L doesn't matter. should it be supercharged. . .seems like more people want it that way but honestly I don't care if it is. I just don't believe a trubo 4 brings a good backing to the Z28 name plate. that's personal opinion and seems to be the same opinion of Fbodfather. . .seems. maybe he will chime in.

But since you talk about auto week and what they said about a turbo 4 running around did they not say anything about the supercharged camaro? because there's one running around also. . .just because it's running around doesn't mean it will be. I forget where it was, I'm pretty sure it was in the internet chats on july 22nd, someone asked about the v6 and turbo 4 and they said the gas mileage wasn't that much different. so they weren't looking into it at this time. but I could be wrong from what I remember. I'll go find it and add it in.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #482
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2015 Silverado 2500hd
Oh looky, no Turbo-4 for you!!

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0/1023/CARNEWS

quote from article: "But Lutz also said the 260-hp turbocharged engine gave little benefit compared with the 300-hp 3.6-liter V6 that is the new Camaro's base powerplant."

Yes, yes, in the article it DOES say a t-4 is on Lutz's wishlist BUT, the car is too heavy for that t-4 to do anything in terms of fuel economy + performance. (who wants a slow z28 anyway )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #483
littlecammi

Quote:
Since you talk about AutoWeek and what they said about a turbo 4 running around did they not say anything about the supercharged Camaro? Because there's one running around also. Just because it's running around doesn't mean it will be.
It is a good thing the Camaro and Challenger programs were approved years ago. The general thinking at AutoWeek is that neither one would be approved for production if they were up for discussion now. The new Lincoln will only get a V6 - no V8 engine. The twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 will make 340hp for the Lincoln next year (non-turbo V6 only available at the start of Lincoln production) and is capable of 414hp if they choose to put it in the Mustang. GM has already completely killed the program for a next-gen V8 engine to replace the aging Northstar. Ford had 5.7L and 6.2L V8 engines under development for the F150 (and possible Mustang) called the Hurricane engine series, but renamed them Boss engines after the destruction from hurricane Katrina. That program was put on hold several times, and has now been reduced to only one displacement that will be used in the heavy duty truck series only. The next F150 is not even going to get the new Boss V8. (Mustang enthusiasts hope that Ford at least puts a supercharged version of it in the next GT500.)

All of this (and a lot more that I've read but am not including here) portend that just like the first musclecar era started dying as the Challenger came out in 1970, now that the '09 Challenger is here the current musclecar era will be going away soon. There will always be the uber sports cars (Ferraris and Porsches, etc.) for the truly rich, but there won't be any more affordable musclecars approved by American car manufacturers. I've been married for almost 28 years and my wife thinks she has the power of veto over any car purchase, but I'm still trying to figure how I can save up and buy one of these beautiful 422hp SS Camaros before the current musclecar era is over.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #484
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
It is a good thing the Camaro and Challenger programs were approved years ago. The general thinking at AutoWeek is that neither one would be approved for production if they were up for discussion now. The new Lincoln will only get a V6 - no V8 engine. The twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 will make 340hp for the Lincoln next year (non-turbo V6 only available at the start of Lincoln production) and is capable of 414hp if they choose to put it in the Mustang. GM has already completely killed the program for a next-gen V8 engine to replace the aging Northstar. Ford had 5.7L and 6.2L V8 engines under development for the F150 (and possible Mustang) called the Hurricane engine series, but renamed them Boss engines after the destruction from hurricane Katrina. That program was put on hold several times, and has now been reduced to only one displacement that will be used in the heavy duty truck series only. The next F150 is not even going to get the new Boss V8. (Mustang enthusiasts hope that Ford at least puts a supercharged version of it in the next GT500.)

All of this (and a lot more that I've read but am not including here) portend that just like the first musclecar era started dying as the Challenger came out in 1970, now that the '09 Challenger is here the current musclecar era will be going away soon. There will always be the uber sports cars (Ferraris and Porsches, etc.) for the truly rich, but there won't be any more affordable musclecars approved by American car manufacturers. I've been married for almost 28 years and my wife thinks she has the power of veto over any car purchase, but I'm still trying to figure how I can save up and buy one of these beautiful 422hp SS Camaros before the current musclecar era is over.
so what does that have to do with tea in china? I mean this thread is about the Z28. and your post has nothing to do with the Z just the economy and what companies are doing with their engine programs. GM canceled the Northstar upgrade program not the LS series or DI V-8. so it's still possible to get a DI V8 in the new camaro in the near future and that could be the start of a Z28. but we don't know.

I just know GM will NOT put a turbo 4 in a camaro and label it a Z28. The Z28 originally was a road race king not just a low optioned camaro. if that's your thought process on why they should get a turbo 4 in it I'm sorry I feel it's wrong.

I hope you get the camaro you want. as I hope I can get the camaro I want. (road race prepped car with a stiffer suspension over the SS)

Last edited by boxmonkeyracing; 08-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #485
littlecammi

Quote:
Your post has nothing to do with the Z28, just the economy and what companies are doing with their engine programs.
You are right. You had asked if AutoWeek mentioned anything about the supercharged Camaro prototype, and my response was very indirect.

AutoWeek did not mention anything about the supercharged Camaro when they reported the existence of the turbo 4-cylinder Camaro prototype in their August 4th issue. Their view was that no future muscle car programs will be approved by American carmakers. The inference is that any ultra-high performance variant of the Camaro (like the Z28 rumored on this forum) which has not already been approved for production by GM management will not be approved.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #486
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
These rags' have a habit of taking statements and writing them out of context...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #487
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
You are right. You had asked if AutoWeek mentioned anything about the supercharged Camaro prototype, and my response was very indirect.

AutoWeek did not mention anything about the supercharged Camaro when they reported the existence of the turbo 4-cylinder Camaro prototype in their August 4th issue. Their view was that no future muscle car programs will be approved by American carmakers. The inference is that any ultra-high performance variant of the Camaro (like the Z28 rumored on this forum) which has not already been approved for production by GM management will not be approved.
thanks for clearing that up. A lot of reasons the Z28 looks dead you have given. and I agree with you on the economy. the future of muscle cars is very unsettling. As for what's been speculated on with the Z28 all we know is what has been quoted by Fbodfather amongst a few others. the Z28 is not dead and who's to say they already haven't been working on one? Autoweek is speculating just like we are here about the future product line of GM. so I hope they are wrong in their inference. I wouldn't mind seeing a turbo 4 putting down what the V-6 is and the V-6 putting down even more but I don't want to see the Z28 emblem on either of those. I also feel my view of that is along the lines of others at GM that make the decisions. But I could be wrong.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #488
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Personally I say the Z will probably make its apperance, if not next year, on the 50th anniversary fo the Camaro as a limited run like the GT500 To me it only makes sense. And thats all I'll say.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #489
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
Personally I say the Z will probably make its apperance, if not next year, on the 50th anniversary fo the Camaro as a limited run like the GT500 To me it only makes sense. And thats all I'll say.
I tend to agree with you Beast.. Just bumms me out I may have to back out of my first in line spot that I've been on for 2 YEARS in hope of a special anniversary edition like my 07 GT500!! (40yr) I love my GT500, but I miss my 69 DZ 302 Z28 more! American auto makers will continue to meet the market nich for muscle cars.. Lets not forget the USA's number 1 watched sport.. NASCAR.. 09' Challenger is not the signal for the end of American muscle, bringing it back is a sign of the times, and market demand..
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot

Last edited by Captainbob; 08-08-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #490
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
I tend to agree with you Beast.. Just bumms me out I may have to back out of my first in line spot that I've been on for 2 YEARS in hope of a special anniversary edition like my 07 GT500!! (40yr) I love my GT500, but I miss my 69 DZ 302 Z28 more! American auto makers will continue to meet the market nich for muscle cars.. Lets not forget the USA's number 1 watched sport.. NASCAR.. 09' Challenger is not the signal for the end of American muscle, bringing it back is a sign of the times, and market demand..

Personally I am kind happy that I canexpect it in 9 years it gives me tiem to get into and out of college then geta job so I can get on of them too.

Quote:

Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #491
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Personally I am kind happy that I canexpect it in 9 years it gives me tiem to get into and out of college then geta job so I can get on of them too.
it could be out in 3-4 no one has confirmed a time line or wot not so aim sooner to be prepared for it if it comes later. lol. wish I had.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #492
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Quote:
it could be out in 3-4 no one has confirmed a time line or wot not so aim sooner to be prepared for it if it comes later. lol. wish I had.
I thinkit would be better to aim low so you dont get disapointed if it comes later. So if yo hope for 3 years and it comes out in 9 you'll kindof lose hope. But if you hope for 9 and it comes out in 3 then your happy. An plus I think It makes sense since the GT500 came back at an annaversary.

Quote:

Old 08-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #493
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
I thinkit would be better to aim low so you dont get disapointed if it comes later. So if yo hope for 3 years and it comes out in 9 you'll kindof lose hope. But if you hope for 9 and it comes out in 3 then your happy. An plus I think It makes sense since the GT500 came back at an annaversary.
but my point was if it comes out in 3 and you're expecting 9 then you might not be financially expecting it and won't be able to get it. that was what I was going for. hoping for it sooner preparing for it sooner but won't be shocked if it takes longer.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #494
iPODFAN11

Quote:

Ok, if GM can get away with making a damn ZR1 corvette making 638hp and get decent fuel eco, why can't they make a freakin Z28 top dog?? If GM can manage to improve the rest of their line-up to get WAY better fuel economy to comply with 35mpg for 2020, then how much could it really hurt them to make a HiPo Z28 and STILL be meeting CAFE standards?

Quote:
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #495
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Tall order just the same.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #496
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Ok, if GM can get away with making a damn ZR1 corvette making 638hp and get decent fuel eco, why can't they make a freakin Z28 top dog?? If GM can manage to improve the rest of their line-up to get WAY better fuel economy to comply with 35mpg for 2020, then how much could it really hurt them to make a HiPo Z28 and STILL be meeting CAFE standards?
Not by much, especially when you consider that it isn't as simply as adding up the average economy of all cars sold. There are lots of little tricks that everyone does to improve their CAFE numbers.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #497
iPODFAN11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not by much, especially when you consider that it isn't as simply as adding up the average economy of all cars sold. There are lots of little tricks that everyone does to improve their CAFE numbers.

Very true. Heck, I even forgot the CTS/CTC-V. I think it can be done, even if the Z28 were in limited numbeers/yr, I think it can be done.

Quote:

Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #498
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Very true. Heck, I even forgot the CTS/CTC-V. I think it can be done, even if the Z28 were in limited numbeers/yr, I think it can be done.
That's what many of us are optimic for. I just cross my fingers we get something along those lines or I'll have to have to eat a lot of crow.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:49 AM   #499
Rickys S/C Z28

Drives: 67,79,00 camaro
is there any??

info on if there is going to be a Z28 car?? if so were can i read about it?? im sorry if this has been talked about before im kinda new on here thank
Ricky
i want a 5th gen!
Rickys S/C Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #500
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
There is no evidence of a Z28 to date. Many are holding onto hope of a Z28 in the future, but right now there is no Z28 slated for production. For the near future, plan on the SS being the dominant trim. All of this is sourced from GM and discussion on this site.

The Z28 is the hottest topic on this site. Be sure to do a search for some interesting, creative, and good information. If there is a Z28, you'll know it from this site.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote