Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 835 76.05%
No 263 23.95%
Voters: 1098. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #851
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: Demon SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Cant tell you if they did or did not. There is info on the forum that does sugest that there was a Z28 prototype, but if it did exsist it was kept so secret that it might be in area 51 right now. If they told you they would kill you.
It's not a Z28 until it has the badge on it. We know of a supercharged prototype. There is no evidence that it was a new trim. For all we know, it was a supercharger kit for the SS. There is no evidence that it was a Z28 prototype.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #852
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Talking According to Motor Trend...

Hi everyone, first post here. Like most others on this thread, I'm hoping for the big dog Camaro. What give me hope is an article I read recently in Motor Trend, june of 2008. They did a 2 page article about the new Camaro. The article states under pricing:
"Look for the low-to-mid $20s for a base , V-6 Camaro. Available trims are also forecast to include a V-8 Z28 and, eventually, a high-output (say, at least 500 horses) SS (Super Sport) edition to combat the Shelby GT500. Given Bob Lutz's proclamation that Camaro pricing will shadow the Mustang's that would put a base Z28 at about $27,000and a base SS at $44-$45k."

We now know that the SS is what this article is refering to as the Z28. It sounds like they have the 2 models ( SS and Z28 ) flipped around. From what I'm reading, the big dog is coming, eventually. In my years of reading car magazines, Motor Trend is usually pretty accurate. They have been off a few times, but not waaaay off. I trust what I'm reading and I can't wait. If it doesn't happen, I'll make my own. 2SS, Kenne Belle, 10 bolt, beefier tranny and away i go.
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #853
camarokidz28

Drives: 1996 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
Cant tell you if they did or did not. There is info on the forum that does sugest that there was a Z28 prototype, but if it did exsist it was kept so secret that it might be in area 51 right now. If they told you they would kill you.
what would the Z28 be doing in area 51, don't you know that all aliens drive is Ford Probe's
camarokidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #854
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Hi everyone, first post here. Like most others on this thread, I'm hoping for the big dog Camaro. What give me hope is an article I read recently in Motor Trend, june of 2008. They did a 2 page article about the new Camaro. The article states under pricing:
"Look for the low-to-mid $20s for a base , V-6 Camaro. Available trims are also forecast to include a V-8 Z28 and, eventually, a high-output (say, at least 500 horses) SS (Super Sport) edition to combat the Shelby GT500. Given Bob Lutz's proclamation that Camaro pricing will shadow the Mustang's that would put a base Z28 at about $27,000and a base SS at $44-$45k."

We now know that the SS is what this article is refering to as the Z28. It sounds like they have the 2 models ( SS and Z28 ) flipped around. From what I'm reading, the big dog is coming, eventually. In my years of reading car magazines, Motor Trend is usually pretty accurate. They have been off a few times, but not waaaay off. I trust what I'm reading and I can't wait. If it doesn't happen, I'll make my own. 2SS, Kenne Belle, 10 bolt, beefier tranny and away i go.
I for one hope the article is correct to some extent. Its not rediculous to think of a Z28 being possible. The great thing about the economy being down is that you know it will pick right back up.
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #855
MotorCityAgent
The Collector Protector

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great KJ View Post
I didn't know it was non functional though, seems like a waste

KJ
It is a waste...actully its a plastic filled dent.

"If its worth collecting, its worth protecting!"

:5thgenvert:

Contact me for a FREE Do-Not-Touch Sign
MotorCityAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #856
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
where what how why?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:25 AM   #857
warbird81

Drives: 1995 camaro, 2005 sts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourq100 View Post
For those of us who have been in the survey control groups you will know that they are reading what I am writing right now over at GM. If there is demand for it they will build it! Keep it easy though ladies & gentlemen. Be reasonable... How about a Z06 motor in a 2011 Camaro Z28? 505HP is more that enough for the ZETA platform... anything more would likely require considerably more work and reinforcements ie gearing suspension etc. Any takes??

Recap:
2011 Z28, Z06 Motor, 6 Speed Option only, Special emblems, RS Package Standard, 2SS Options Only, No moonroof (505HP does not need a moonroof!), MSRP $43,000??? Any takers? 5000 less than GT500... much better fuel economy and motor! Maybe add special hood or front diffuser?
i would be game for that right now; should we say ls7 concept/z28. im in boys show me where to sign.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 AM   #858
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I still vote LSA because it's probably cheaper than an LS7. JMVHO
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #859
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I still vote LSA because it's probably cheaper than an LS7. JMVHO
i would find the extra cash for the 427. the SEMA car w/ just a mild cam & intake box was putting out more N/A power that the S/C LSA. just imagine the extra potential w/ a TT, CAI, hi-flow exhaust, & tune. besides... we already know it easily fits in the bay.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #860
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post

Its anyones guess but the Z28 has always been under the SS when the options have been available. Don't get me wrong I love the Z28 tag but it would not be beyond GM to rebadge the current SS the Z28 and then offer the SS as the top model with Xtra kick. Look at the last example. the 4rth gens Z28 got bumped up to the old SS numbers of 305hp and the SS was placed at 330.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #861
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
Its anyones guess but the Z28 has always been under the SS when the options have been available. Don't get me wrong I love the Z28 tag but it would not be beyond GM to rebadge the current SS the Z28 and then offer the SS as the top model with Xtra kick. Look at the last example. the 4rth gens Z28 got bumped up to the old SS numbers of 305hp and the SS was placed at 330.
They are on the record as saying "we won't put a Z28 badge on a car that isn't deserving" or words to that effect
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #862
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
Its anyones guess but the Z28 has always been under the SS when the options have been available.
That's very debatable. You won't see me trading my '69 Z/28 for a '69 L78 let alone an L48.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #863
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i would find the extra cash for the 427. the SEMA car w/ just a mild cam & intake box was putting out more N/A power that the S/C LSA. just imagine the extra potential w/ a TT, CAI, hi-flow exhaust, & tune. besides... we already know it easily fits in the bay.
A twin turbo LS7 wouldn't be the best idea. Those motors can't handle a whole lot of boost. That's why they aren't using it in F/I applications. The cylinder walls are too thin. It's why they are currently using the slightly smaller LS3 now for forced induction.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #864
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They are on the record as saying "we won't put a Z28 badge on a car that isn't deserving" or words to that effect
didn't someone also say that throughout Camaro history sometimes the SS was the top model, other times it was the Z28
Old 11-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #865
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^Check out this post. It explains it better than any other I've seen.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...0894&post40894
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #866
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #867
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
We just need a Z28 because we need a GT500/SRT Challenger KILLER.

If we don't get it, it's gonna be endless discussions between camaro/mustang owners."I do have more HP" "yeah but my 0-60 is shorter" blah blah

Just make a killer camaro, a car that would beat anything else in the pony car industry. Something no one would argue. Just the best, whatever the price. Take X raited's concept, put 550+hp under the hood, sell it whatever the price, and I'll get it