Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 835 76.12%
No 262 23.88%
Voters: 1097. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #1251
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
If you wanna go a little faster and spend 45 grand buy a Corvette.
I want an Fbody though!!!!! A corvette is awsome but I want 4 seats!! Anyway corvette is markedly lighter but unless you pay alot for supercar vettes like z06 and zr1 you only get ls3
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #1252
bowtiedriver

Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
You'd pay a little extra, yeah right!! that motor is like ~$12-$13K. That is not a little more. So you throw that engine in and call it a day, I don't think so. If that were it GM would have done it and enjoyed the relatively easy profits. What might work for you would be to sell your LS3 and buy the LS7 and drop it in, that would offset your cost of the LS7 quite a bit. Or why don't you create a pseudo LS9, add a supercharger and any needed beefing up and there you go, your own personal super camaro.
I think that it is too easy to say, "just throw it in", or "screw testing just put it in I don't care". If it took them approx. 3 years of development for this car, sus. powerplant, I would figure two more to develop a hi. po. version.

So come on GM just make a Firebird, throw some snowflake rims, a screamin' chicken decal and a gen 5 motor. I would buy it.

All kidding aside though, It would take too much time and money to try and rush a Z28 type model. Just keep your fingers crossed that this wonder of a car sells itself and your dream may come true, as might mine.
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #1253
The Boat
His seafaringness

Well you know what. Maybe if i end up spending that much $$$ I will just order an LSX 454 or get some 502 big block if it will fit!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #1254
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Just buy a ss and supercharge it, you can call it a z28 if you want to. I think GM has its plate full right now and needs to concentrate on some 35+ mpg cars
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #1255
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiedriver View Post
You'd pay a little extra, yeah right!! that motor is like ~$12-$13K. That is not a little more. So you throw that engine in and call it a day, I don't think so. If that were it GM would have done it and enjoyed the relatively easy profits. What might work for you would be to sell your LS3 and buy the LS7 and drop it in, that would offset your cost of the LS7 quite a bit. Or why don't you create a pseudo LS9, add a supercharger and any needed beefing up and there you go, your own personal super camaro.
I think that it is too easy to say, "just throw it in", or "screw testing just put it in I don't care". If it took them approx. 3 years of development for this car, sus. powerplant, I would figure two more to develop a hi. po. version.

So come on GM just make a Firebird, throw some snowflake rims, a screamin' chicken decal and a gen 5 motor. I would buy it.

All kidding aside though, It would take too much time and money to try and rush a Z28 type model. Just keep your fingers crossed that this wonder of a car sells itself and your dream may come true, as might mine.

LS3 has to be around 8k at least. Thats only 5k more. Id pay an exta 5-7 k for an ls7
Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #1256
nepopolus

Drives: 08 z71 silverado camaro comin
dude the SS is a beast as is, the z-28 imo would be a horrible idea for GM in there current situation. The car would cost too much too sell to alot of people, so they would lose money on designing it. Maybe after they are actually using there own money they will put the z-28 into production but i do not see that any time soon.
nepopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #1257
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
You obviously live in a fantasy land. A little more?? An LS7 costs $13k by itself and an LSA almost $20K. If they brought out a Z28 it will be a $50k+ car and then you would complain it costs too much.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #1258
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Well, we have to deal with what we have, unfortunately. We're just going to have to relax and wait. No amount of frustration is going to change the fact GM's gotta' get on their feet first, before bringing this car to the market, in whatever variation. The questions you ask are good, however, they've been answered, in part. It could be helpful to search the internet if you want more specifics because it's not as easy as it seems you think, just going by your posts. If it were easy, and GM could've done it, it would've been here. Just do some searching on the Z28 threads here, and you'll find all sorts of comments on why it's not here. I don't want you to get flames, so I'd start there. No one can comment, with any certifiability (is that a word?...), this side of 'Father or anyone else directly on specifics on the Z28, so they're the only ones who could answer your questions - but they can't, so it's best to save your breathe and not even ask. I'm not trying to be difficult or harsh, but you won't find answers because those that know, can't say.

JMO.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #1259
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Merge?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #1260
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Many of those regulations are there for a reason. If your car's suspension, crumple zones, and frame are designed to support an LS3, just throwing an LS7 in there may have adverse safety effects. Therefore, the entire car would need to be tuned and retested, it is a safety thing. Not to mention different exhaust and emissions. They'd have to sell it for quite a bit more to recoup their development costs, and have to deal with the tree huggers already gunning for GM's head.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #1261
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
How about this.

:knockitoff:
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #1262
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Merge?
please
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #1263
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Merge?
LOL - I've been struggling to figure out into which one, LOL!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #1264
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Honestly, I don't really care whether a Z28 is made. Yes, I like the Z28s, but for whatever reason I always preferred the SS models. If a Z28 does get made, will I be sad that I pulled the trigger on an SS? Doubtful, but that's me. I'm not going to race, I just want a powerful, immensely fun car and I'm sure the SS will be just that for me..

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #1265
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
LOL - I've been struggling to figure out into which one, LOL!
this one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5279
Old 03-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #1266
radz28
Petro-sexual

That's the ONE!!! Jeebus...

And thanks Zebra
Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #1267
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat View Post
WTF just to stick a different engine in? How hard could that be. I don't care if its tested well. What if it was just a special order option of having a different engine? come on man. I'd pay a little extra for an LS7 instead of having to buy it seperately.
the physicalities of it are simple. swap motor/trans. but the regs and paperwork and OTHER stuff that we dont hear about is what holds everything up.

pay extra for a motor that is going to be going away soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Verrrrryyyyyyyy hard. Right now your odds are better to win the lotto, go buy either a 7.0 L Z06 motor or a CTS-V Supercharged motor and make your own.

Heyyyyyy, I just got an idea. Who wants to invest in 7.0L V8s engines from GM Parts Division??

Quote:
Honestly.. this is why i'm a libertarian!!! Govt. regulations really destroy the quality of and selection of products available in all of our markets including car market!!! All these regulations.... many meaningless red tape at best make all of our products significantly more expensive, while offering us little input on whether or not we would like to pay that. The market would be way better at deciding what kind of cars should be built and how they are tested!!!
the market is part of the reason the regs are in place. part of the whole financial situation is based off auto companies making the cars we want.

a few years ago, EVERYONE had to have a big truck/SUV. the auto companies were more than happy to make them cus they were selling like hotcakes. then gas prices shot up and everyone wanted more MPG, and the big trucks/suvs sat on the lots and still do today.

but besides just physically making a car, there's so much more that has to be taken into account. and keep in mind, a Z28 might just be "the next level" to you/some/whoever, but to others the Z28 is an iconic representation of the overall best Camaro ever made produced from GM. its been said before by GM reps that they dont want to make a Z28 that doesnt live up to its hallowed name.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #1268
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
That's the ONE!!! Jeebus...

And thanks zebra
no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
...and keep in mind, a Z28 might just be "the next level" to you/some/whoever, but to others the Z28 is an iconic representation of the overall best Camaro ever made produced from GM. its been said before by GM reps that they dont want to make a Z28 that doesnt live up to its hallowed name.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #1269
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the physicalities of it are simple. swap motor/trans. but the regs and paperwork and OTHER stuff that we dont hear about is what holds everything up.

pay extra for a motor that is going to be going away soon.

the market is part of the reason the regs are in place. part of the whole financial situation is based off auto companies making the cars we want.

a few years ago, EVERYONE had to have a big truck/SUV. the auto companies were more than happy to make them cus they were selling like hotcakes. then gas prices shot up and everyone wanted more MPG, and the big trucks/suvs sat on the lots and still do today.

THat has absolutely nothing to do with why we have safety and emissions regulations.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #1270
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
THat has absolutely nothing to do with why we have safety and emissions regulations.
but it costs out the @$$ when you have to go back and have the entire car retested because you changed the motor. and right now, GM needs to just sell the SS and v-6's. we can worry about a Z28 later. do I want one? yes.

do I want to spend $60k for one because I want it now? no.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #1271
IneedAZ

Drives: not enough power
just curious, is production stopped on the ZR1 and the Cad cts-V? Come on, if u can put that kind of power in a Caddy, do something for the Camaro...these are the people that defend Chevys honor day in and day out!

Anyone know if Ford still makes the GT500's...if so, are they not facing the same government pressures?

At the very least, i would love GM to offer the Hot Cam engine as an option from the factory so i dont have to tear into the motor. At that point i will just do the exhaust and intake upgrades and get my 500hp.
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #1272
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
um idk if this has already been meantioned (didnt want to read all 50 pages) but motor trend had an article where they said they talked to one of the higher ups in GM and were told the Z-28 is already made. It has a LSA with a supercharger. But they arnt sure they should release it because they just recieved the bail out from the government who are trying to push the preduction of gas sipping prius
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #1273
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
um idk if this has already been meantioned (didnt want to read all 50 pages) but motor trend had an article where they said they talked to one of the higher ups in GM and were told the Z-28 is already made. It has a LSA with a supercharger. But they arnt sure they should release it because they just recieved the bail out from the government who are trying to push the preduction of gas sipping prius
that motortrend article is a waste of time.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1274
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
The SS has 400hp. I mean, do a Z06 engine swap. I've seen them on last gen Z28's. Probably cost you about the same, except you'll have to do it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #1275
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
just curious, is production stopped on the ZR1 and the Cad cts-V? Come on, if u can put that kind of power in a Caddy, do something for the Camaro...these are the people that defend Chevys honor day in and day out!

to the best of my knowledge they are still being built for 2010 MY

Anyone know if Ford still makes the GT500's...if so, are they not facing the same government pressures?

Yes, the and the 2010 GT500 has 540 hp. But the pressure that GM is facing is for 2015-2020. Plus, the GT500 was not availible in 2005 or 2006. Ford made their money on the regular mustangs then came out with the special one.

At the very least, i would love GM to offer the Hot Cam engine as an option from the factory so i dont have to tear into the motor. At that point i will just do the exhaust and intake upgrades and get my 500hp.
reply in bold

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote