Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #26
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
It's sounds like a great V6, one that may sway me away from the V8. The mustang's V6 isn't even in the same ballpark.
Someone finally seems to share my angle on this!

__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #27
MerF
Go Rays!
 
MerF's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3litzkrieg View Post
lol i know is not the right topic ..................... i bet 90 percent of you have never been in a v8 smal block chevy lol real camaro got a v8inside , anyway as long as you help keeping the camaro alive thanks, go buy that v6
I lol bet lol you lol....ok I can't speak "lol" very well. Thanks for trolling though, you're keeping the site alive.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #28
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
I was all about a V8 when i joined these forums and gas prices were still in the low $2.00 range. By the time this thing hits the streets it is not unlikely that we will be paying $4.50/gal and by the time I would actually buy one $5.00/gal. Add on the fact that the LS3 takes premium and the V-6 is looking like a sure thing.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I was all about a V8 when i joined these forums and gas prices were still in the low $2.00 range. By the time this thing hits the streets it is not unlikely that we will be paying $4.50/gal and by the time I would actually buy one $5.00/gal. Add on the fact that the LS3 takes premium and the V-6 is looking like a sure thing.
I this rate, I may even take the time to try and make mine E85 compatible. Use more fuel that way, but you could still go 500 miles on one tank, and it would cost like 20-25 dollars less to fill up.
- Xanthos
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #30
EllwynX


 
EllwynX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Add on the fact that the LS3 takes premium and the V-6 is looking like a sure thing.
Actually it says 'Premium Recommended'. It apparently will run just fine on Regular grade gas with only a slight dip in power/performance.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I this rate, I may even take the time to try and make mine E85 compatible. Use more fuel that way, but you could still go 500 miles on one tank, and it would cost like 20-25 dollars less to fill up.
- Xanthos
I hope you are joking, right? The average decrease in fuel economy with E85 is around 25% but it only costs approximately 5% less than regular unleaded. So you are essentially willing to pay 20% more to drive the same distance just because psychologically it feels better to fill up at $60 as opposed to $80?

EDIT: That is fine if your main objective is to be more environmentally friendly or to do your part to ease our reliance on foreign oil, but it doesn't make sense if you are just trying to save a few bucks.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #32
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
Actually it says 'Premium Recommended'. It apparently will run just fine on Regular grade gas with only a slight dip in power/performance.
Ahhhh... I can handle 415HP as opposed to 420.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I hope you are joking, right? The average decrease in fuel economy with E85 is around 25% but it only costs approximately 5% less than regular unleaded. So you are essentially willing to pay 20% more to drive the same distance.
Not to spin this into another Ethanol thread. But it depends entirely where you live. In some places, E85 costs significantly less than 'normal' gasoline (much more than 5%). In those places, the price difference makes the mileage decrease worth it.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #34
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Not to spin this into another Ethanol thread. But it depends entirely where you live. In some places, E85 costs significantly less than 'normal' gasoline (much more than 5%). In those places, the price difference makes the mileage decrease worth it.
Unless you are able to find a place that sells it (or make your own) for around $3.00/gal, then it is not cost justified. Perhaps these places exist, but I have not heard of E85 going for $3.00 - 3.20/gal while regular unleaded is at $4.00/gal; not to belabor the point, I am just saying....

Either way, a 300HP V6 sounds pretty appealing and I would have to think that with those numbers these things will be selling like hotcakes!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #35
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
For the record, those that were saying by the time the car comes out gas will be up to 5 bucks a gallon, its not likely. Gas is going back down, hell I wouldn't be surprised if we saw sub 3 dollars a gallon again. It could happen.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #36
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
For the record, those that were saying by the time the car comes out gas will be up to 5 bucks a gallon, its not likely. Gas is going back down, hell I wouldn't be surprised if we saw sub 3 dollars a gallon again. It could happen.
Don't get your hopes up. Things are still way too volatile in the Middle East to be so sure about future oil prices.
__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #37
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro
 
ZeeTwentyFour's Avatar
 
Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 474
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
I'm amazed that they recomend regular gas for the v6 considering it's compression ratio. I wonder if those performance accessories mentioned will be for the v6. An intake and cat back will be good for a good 10 hp? Not to mention if we get headers!
__________________
ZeeTwentyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #38
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
I'm amazed that they recomend regular gas for the v6 considering it's compression ratio. I wonder if those performance accessories mentioned will be for the v6. An intake and cat back will be good for a good 10 hp? Not to mention if we get headers!
The v6 only needs regular because of the Direct injection, this make the v6 a completely different animal than we are used to.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #39
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
The v6 only needs regular because of the Direct injection, this make the v6 a completely different animal than we are used to.
Doesn't "need" it, but it can run on it.
__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #40
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Doesn't "need" it, but it can run on it.
I'm not sure what you mean....
They don't reccomend premium for this engine. It's designed to run purely off of regular unleaded, and deliver all 300 ponies.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #41
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm not sure what you mean....
They don't reccomend premium for this engine. It's designed to run purely off of regular unleaded, and deliver all 300 ponies.
Well, what you saw above was taken from what I've read on the CTS that has the same exact engine as the Camaro. It can take either 85 or 91, or anything other grade inbetween.
__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #42
4thGen
 
Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 140
At 300hp, I feel this will be the most respected V6 Camaro out all the generations.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #43
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,274
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen View Post
At 300hp, I feel this will be the most respected V6 Camaro out all the generations.
I agree. It doesn't feel like settling to get a car with that much power. It'll be every bit as rewarding as the V8 to those who are getting their first muscle car or wanted the concept. It's going to be amazingly powerful and, apparently, loud. If I can't get my RS SS, I will have no problem getting a tricked out RS V6.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #44
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Well, I was planning on getting the V6 since, well, forever. I knew from the beginning there was no way I'd be able to afford the payments on the v8 - much less the insurance. With that said, the more I find out about the v6, the more I like. But, I do like the v8 fog light/lower grill arrangement more than that of the v6 - especially if it comes with the now departed hood scoop. Maybe I could arrange a swap with somebody who buys a silver v8. I'm still getting the v6 either way.
- Xanthos
We may be able to arrange a swap Keep my name in mind..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #45
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
I find myself to be a fan of CR based power (nothing better than a 327 with a 350 cam!), not displacement based power. I think I will love driving my V6 - especially once I finish customizing it to make it mine. Might go twin turbo - might not. Haven't decided yet. Either way, it promises to be one hell of a ride.
- Xanthos
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #46
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm not sure what you mean....
They don't reccomend premium for this engine. It's designed to run purely off of regular unleaded, and deliver all 300 ponies.
But I'm sure with some aftermarket tuning, it can deliver more than 300 ponies with premium
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #47
Shadowsong
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I find myself to be a fan of CR based power (nothing better than a 327 with a 350 cam!), not displacement based power. I think I will love driving my V6 - especially once I finish customizing it to make it mine. Might go twin turbo - might not. Haven't decided yet. Either way, it promises to be one hell of a ride.
- Xanthos
You can bet on that.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #48
RSCamaro
 
RSCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Tahoe/ Shadow Spirit
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4
I was dead set on a V8 and having a hard time talking the wife into it, she wants me to get something with better fuel, ya whatever, then the V6 with its 300 ponies and 27 miles to the gallon!! Whoo hoo looks like I have some pull now!. Although it still seams weired to get a V6 Camaro, my last one was a 68 RS with a 350
RSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #49
Scotsman
Auto Pilot
 
Scotsman's Avatar
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,307
Times have changed, considerably.
__________________
"Let the rest of the world dream of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and dinky little British two-seaters. In this country speed doesn't look like that." Got SS?
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #50
JaysonAych
 
JaysonAych's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 429
I'd been planning on gettting the V6 for a while anyway, but it's nice that it's getting 300 hp. I don't plan on racing it or dragging it, so 300 hp will be plenty fine for going on nice drives.

The only drawback is that you have to explain to people that it still puts out more or comparable power to most of the V8s you'll see out on the road these days. When you mention to the average joe that doesn't know much about the new Camaro that you're planning to get the V6, their first reaction is, "Aw dude, lame." So you have to spend another few minutes sorting that out.
__________________
Better make sure my passing lane change blinker works...
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Message to all Fbody Enthusiasts TAG UR IT 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 02-02-2013 08:41 PM
The new Camaro V6 might be the best model of the entire lineup! Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 101 12-21-2010 08:48 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Another, albeit old, Camaro Article!!! Mr. Wyndham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 1 07-30-2007 10:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.