Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #51
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: 2009 Dodge Challenger
The design of this V6 was WAY more than I expected. I will be getting an SS but for those getting the V6 it'll be an awesome car.

If this were going to be a daily driver for me I'd have to consider a V6 myself, but my Camaro will be a weekend toy only so the gas mileage isn't that big of a deal. I have a 4banger Accord I commute in (33+ mpg).

Also, I've never owned a nice rumbly V8 muscle car so I'm gonna go all out on this one.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #52
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonAych View Post
I'd been planning on gettting the V6 for a while anyway, but it's nice that it's getting 300 hp. I don't plan on racing it or dragging it, so 300 hp will be plenty fine for going on nice drives.

The only drawback is that you have to explain to people that it still puts out more or comparable power to most of the V8s you'll see out on the road these days. When you mention to the average joe that doesn't know much about the new Camaro that you're planning to get the V6, their first reaction is, "Aw dude, lame." So you have to spend another few minutes sorting that out.
The V6, even though it has 300HP, it doesn't have as much torque as many of those V8's with less HP.. However it is a bummer that most people consider V6 to be a let-down and not muscle.. That is why I am torn now because I like the front bumper of the V6 better than the V8.. However I do want over 400Hp as well.. Good Looks, or faster speed.. I'll have to settle with speed and hopefully fins someone willing to trade the front bumper with me..lol..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #53
Geno

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The V6, even though it has 300HP, it doesn't have as much torque as many of those V8's with less HP.. However it is a bummer that most people consider V6 to be a let-down and not muscle.. That is why I am torn now because I like the front bumper of the V6 better than the V8.. However I do want over 400Hp as well.. Good Looks, or faster speed.. I'll have to settle with speed and hopefully fins someone willing to trade the front bumper with me..lol..
Would you or somebody please post pics or tell just what the difference is the the bumpers. I have looked and can't seem to find a difference.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #54
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Would you or somebody please post pics or tell just what the difference is the the bumpers. I have looked and can't seem to find a difference.

I have been away for awhile and haven't kept up on the numerous threads since they have released the official specs. What in the world is the difference???
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #55
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
I know mine sure has, even up to a few months ago I would of never even considered a V6 Camaro. But realistically, I would be better off with the V6. It would be closer to what I can afford and I will probably get less speeding tickets. But who knows, it might come time to order the new car and I will just have to have that LS3.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #56
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post

I have been away for awhile and haven't kept up on the numerous threads since they have released the official specs. What in the world is the difference???
V6

V8

Big difference is the fake vent above the grill and a larger front spoiler.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #57
Geno

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
V6

V8

Thank you very much. I really like the looks better without th e vent.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I never realized how much some people dislike that corvette esque vent. I love the front end on that black one, can't see why people hate it let alone prefer the red. Meh, to each their own.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #59
Craig

Drives: '01 Z28
It will be a monumental achievement if GM can keep their promise of the V6 car being price-competitive with the base Mustang when you consider that the difference in content borders on the ridiculous. But I don't suggest you V6 buyers get too uppity with '05-up Mustang GT's, as I seem to be reading about here and in plenty of other threads. The peak horsepower is basically the same but they get quite a bit more torque and carry around 200 pounds less weight. Regardless, this new Camaro looks to rewrite the book on what to expect from a bread-and-butter "base" car. It's really no longer a volume car but a sporty coupe in it's own right. That being said, it's still V8 all the way for me.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #60
4thGen

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
It will be a monumental achievement if GM can keep their promise of the V6 car being price-competitive with the base Mustang when you consider that the difference in content borders on the ridiculous. But I don't suggest you V6 buyers get too uppity with '05-up Mustang GT's, as I seem to be reading about here and in plenty of other threads. The peak horsepower is basically the same but they get quite a bit more torque and carry around 200 pounds less weight. Regardless, this new Camaro looks to rewrite the book on what to expect from a bread-and-butter "base" car. It's really no longer a volume car but a sporty coupe in it's own right. That being said, it's still V8 all the way for me.
I would still like to see how the V6 Camaro stands up to the GT in straight line performance.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #61
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen View Post
I would still like to see how the V6 Camaro stands up to the GT in straight line performance.
The 0-60 times below may not be 100% accurate so correct me if you find something wrong. The V6 time i put below is an estimate based on what we know of the engine in the CTS.. I looked at multiple sources about the mustang times so they are pretty accurate..

Well 0-60 should be below 6 seconds for the V6 Camaro as that is what the CTS can do it in..
The V8 automatic got the 0-60 in 4.6 seconds with some tuning while the manual got 4.9 seconds according to the latest info we all received this last week as you all should know already .

"The aluminum 4.6L SOHC V8 engine on the Mustang GT sports a 3-valves-per-cylinder head arrangement. The resulting output? 300 horses and 320 lb.-ft. of torque. Or, if you prefer, 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds.* Blink at your own risk.
*Road & Track, April 2005." according to Road and Track testing.

A 2007 GT350 does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds while a stock 2007 GT does it in 4.9, the same as in 2005..

The V6 mustang in 2007 does it in 6.3 with a skilled driver on a manual at the fastest and that time may not be stock. Most of the 0-60 times for the V6 come around 6.6 for the V6 Mustang which puts the V6 Camaro at 300HP ahead by a wide margin..

Just to get a feel for what to expect with power and what was considered lots of power and speed just a few years ago.. This is a good read below..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104572

Model Year: 2003
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Style SVT Cobra
Base Price: $33,125
Price as Tested: $47,033
Drive Type: RWD
Transmission Type: 6-speed manual
Displacement (liters): 4.6
Engine Type: DOHC Supercharged V8
Claimed Horsepower: 601 at rear wheels, 690 at the flywheel
Claimed Torque: 529 at rear wheels, 620 at the flywheel

"We recorded a best run of 12.8 seconds at 120 mph, and our best 0-60-mph time was 4.7 seconds."

0-60 time of 4.7 seconds for the SVT above..

Now this a 2003 SVT Cobra priced at $47,000 with extra's and being $33,000 stock... Five years later and the stock automatic V8 Camaro will do 0-60 in 4.6 for under $30,000 and be able to beat this amazing Mustang SVT Cobra that is lighter and has more Horsepower to boot in a straight line. And will have IRS as well.. Around a track with curves, the Camaro should be more agile because of a better IRS. This SVT above does have IRS but if I recall, they never fit perfectly on these older SVT's but at least they had them... So the V8 and the V6 will be great buys when competing within their own price range of sports cars..

Last edited by Supermans; 07-25-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #62
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
The 0-60 times below may not be 100% accurate so correct me if you find something wrong. The V6 time i put below is an estimate based on what we know of the engine in the CTS.. I looked at multiple sources about the mustang times so they are pretty accurate..

Well 0-60 should be below 6 seconds for the V6 Camaro as that is what the CTS can do it in..
The V8 automatic got the 0-60 in 4.6 seconds with some tuning while the manual got 4.9 seconds according to the latest info we all received this last week as you all should know already .

"The aluminum 4.6L SOHC V8 engine on the Mustang GT sports a 3-valves-per-cylinder head arrangement. The resulting output? 300 horses and 320 lb.-ft. of torque. Or, if you prefer, 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds.* Blink at your own risk.
*Road & Track, April 2005." according to Road and Track testing.

A 2007 GT350 does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds while a stock 2007 GT does it in 4.9, the same as in 2005..

The V6 mustang in 2007 does it in 6.3 with a skilled driver on a manual at the fastest and that time may not be stock. Most of the 0-60 times for the V6 come around 6.6 for the V6 Mustang which puts the V6 Camaro at 300HP ahead by a wide margin..

Just to get a feel for what to expect with power and what was considered lots of power and speed just a few years ago.. This is a good read below..

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104572

Model Year: 2003
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Style SVT Cobra
Base Price: $33,125
Price as Tested: $47,033
Drive Type: RWD
Transmission Type: 6-speed manual
Displacement (liters): 4.6
Engine Type: DOHC Supercharged V8
Claimed Horsepower: 601 at rear wheels, 690 at the flywheel
Claimed Torque: 529 at rear wheels, 620 at the flywheel

"We recorded a best run of 12.8 seconds at 120 mph, and our best 0-60-mph time was 4.7 seconds."

0-60 time of 4.7 seconds for the SVT above..

Now this a 2003 SVT Cobra priced at $47,000 with extra's and being $33,000 stock... Five years later and the stock automatic V8 Camaro will do 0-60 in 4.6 for under $30,000 and be able to beat this amazing Mustang SVT Cobra that is lighter and has more Horsepower to boot in a straight line. And will have IRS as well.. Around a track with curves, the Camaro should be more agile because of a better IRS. This SVT above does have IRS but if I recall, they never fit perfectly on these older SVT's but at least they had them... So the V8 and the V6 will be great buys when competing within their own price range of sports cars..
Something's not adding up here. How can a 600HP car that is lighter have the same 0-60 times as one that has 422HP and is heavier? I'm gonna say it had to do with traction. Did that SVT Cobra have traction/launch control? That may be how the Camaro can match it's 0-60.

Oh and P.S. - I hope the V8 Camaro sounds something like that SVT Cobra.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #63
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
I think the V6 in the Camaro will be a great engine, but it's V8 or bust for me.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #64
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Something's not adding up here. How can a 600HP car that is lighter have the same 0-60 times as one that has 422HP and is heavier? I'm gonna say it had to do with traction. Did that SVT Cobra have traction/launch control? That may be how the Camaro can match it's 0-60.

That's why I posted the article from Car and Driver. All things do add up because it is the modern technology of today that encompasses the V8 automatic (with special tuning that was done) to get it to be faster with a heavier car with less HP than the SVT Cobra in the article) Shifting is faster with the modern engine of the Camaro and nobody can shift faster than a computer can. I'm quite sure that the SVT Cobra in the article with a modern automatic would get better times than it did.. It is interesting to compare newer more modern cars with older top of the line bad boys of generations past.. This is no exception..
Old 07-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #65
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Quote:
That's why I posted the article from Car and Driver. All things do add up because it is the modern technology of today that encompasses the V8 automatic (with special tuning that was done) to get it to be faster with a heavier car with less HP than the SVT Cobra in the article) Shifting is faster with the modern engine of the Camaro and nobody can shift faster than a computer can. I'm quite sure that the SVT Cobra in the article with a modern automatic would get better times than it did.. It is interesting to compare newer more modern cars with older top of the line bad boys of generations past.. This is no exception..
Ok, but I still say it had everything to do with traction.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #66
Koru

Drives: 201? Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncertime View Post
V6

V8

Thank you! I always wondered what the hell people were talking about when they were discussing the bumpers.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #67
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
The DIV6 should be very nice.

In CR magazine they tested a CTS with the 263hp V6 with an automatic, the car weighed 3940# and did 0-60 in 6.8, 1/4 mile in 15.3.

So I guess the V6 Camaro weighing 200# less and having the DI 304hp V6, it should run 0-60 in about 6.2, and the 1/4 mile in high 14's.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #68
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Hows about a better comparison. The weight difference between the LY7 and LLT is negligible. So, 3940 pounds, 304 hp DI. Car and driver brought it to 60 in 5.8 seconds. Drop 200 pounds and you have your camaro.
- Xanthos
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #69
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Hows about a better comparison. The weight difference between the LY7 and LLT is negligible. So, 3940 pounds, 304 hp DI. Car and driver brought it to 60 in 5.8 seconds. Drop 200 pounds and you have your camaro.
- Xanthos
Quite a difference for 41hp. 1 full second???

I can't see the V6 Camaro doing any better then HIGH 5's to 60. MAX.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #70
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
Quite a difference for 41hp. 1 full second???

I can't see the V6 Camaro doing any better then HIGH 5's to 60. MAX.
The difference comes not from the horsepower improvement, but from the VASTLY improved low end torque.
- Xanthos
Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #71
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, but I still say it had everything to do with traction.
Speedy has it. Edmunds is notorious for their terrible acceleration times for all cars. THey're the last people you should look at for accurate acceleration times for high torque rwd cars.

That Cobra with the Ford racing mods wasn't an optioned car from the showroom. It had like 10k worth of parts bought from ford racing parts. And the 03-04 Cobra weighed about 3650-3700 pounds. IRS, SC and dohc engine. I can't recall whether it was iron or aluminum.

And an engine has nothing to do with how fast a car can shift Supermans, that would be the transmission. And the SVT Cobra used the same one that was in the Vette and more importantly in the GTO. THe GTO was also factory rated at 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Just like the new Camaro. At 3720 pounds. With 400hp and 400tq. And it's a 2005 model. That test is a real world test rather than a manufacturers estimate. The best time I've ever seen from the GTO in the 0-60 is 4.7 from a magazine. And that's from Motortrend. I believe Edmunds got the manual trans gto to do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. They're terrible at figuring out how to launch a RWD car with lots of torque. I believe they got a 5.2 second 0-60 time out of a Solstice GXP. Easier to launch because it has less torque right off the line. And the SVT Cobra is notoriously underrated from the factory and has been known to crush GTOs stock vs stock. I told the story in another thread about a friends friend saying the GTO was slow because it couldn't even beat the Solstice based on what he'd read on edmunds. I'm not a pro driver, but I was able to beat their 1/4mile time by nearly a second. So they clearly suck.

I''m all for the Camaro being a badass car, but it seems like your perception is a bit skewed.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #72
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
And on the subject of the V6 Camaro, it'll be badass. It's been said before. About 10 years ago, V8 cars were putting out those numbers and kicking the asses of other performance cars.

I'm going with a V8. I've owned the GTO and I want the more aggressive looks of the Camaro.

I think the V6's acceleration will be decent. Maybe mid-high 5s and low 14s.

And direct injection engines are able to run higher compression with FI because of the cooler fuel delivery. So I've read.

I like the fact that the V8 will have better suspension and brakes. And it'll be a better total package. Better than a boosted V6. There's more to a car than power and acceleration.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #73
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
There are a very select few here who have admitted that they simply don't need 400+ hp. I know I'm one of those. The guys that will be boosting want maybe 30-50 extra hp and they're satisfied, not necessarily to get V8 performance.

This is on top of the other reasons already mentioned for V6 advantages (fuel economy, less expensive, insurance rates, look of the front grille, etc.). But really GM seems to have put such a refined feel into the design of the car, that more buyers will feel comfortable associating the Camaro with a 6-cyl. (as scary as that may sound), especially with 300 hp stock.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #74
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Question Am I the only one?

Went to the local Chevy dealer yesterday and placed an order for a v-6 RS
Mine was the 15th order they had taken, the other 14 were for V8 SS,
I don't think I'll need 400 horsepower, Are the v6 Camaros going to be a big minority????
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #75
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1950 View Post
Went to the local Chevy dealer yesterday and placed an order for a v-6 RS
Mine was the 15th order they had taken, the other 14 were for V8 SS,
I don't think I'll need 400 horsepower, Are the v6 Camaros going to be a big minority????

NO the 6's are going to be the lifeblood of the 5th Gen. Thats whats gonna keep her alive.

BTW: welcome to the forum

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote