Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 772
Cell Phones

Just like the car thread, I am again asking for feedback. I left my cell phone carrier back in October. I can not say that I was truly happy being a Sprint customer. Hence why I never renewed my contract. I am looking at other carriers. Such as At&t, T Mobile, and possibly Verizon.

I am only interested in touch screen cell phones/smart phones. I will list below some of the phones I am looking at, and if you have ever personally dealt with them, let me know what you liked, and disliked about them

Apple I Phone 3GS
HTC Imagio
HTC Pure
My Touch 3G
HTC Hero

I know the Hero is with sprint, but if it's a good phone, I'd consider going back to sprint.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
Eh, you're probably better off going with the Droid Eris on Verizon. It's the exact same device as the HTC Hero, except it has a proximity sensor, and a very slightly different external design. The proximity sensor really does make a difference. There have been a significant number of complaints with the Hero about people hanging up calls, etc, because their face touches the screen.

I wouldn't bother going with the MyTouch, honestly. It's essentially an HTC Hero without HTC's SenseUI, which is what makes the Hero such an incredible device.

Also, I'm kind of shocked to not see the Moto Droid or HTC Touch Pro 2 on here. You might also want to wait and see who gets the HTC HD2 when that comes around.

If you want a media and app-centric device without a keyboard, there's really no beating the iPhone.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Eh, you're probably better off going with the Droid Eris on Verizon. It's the exact same device as the HTC Hero, except it has a proximity sensor, and a very slightly different external design. The proximity sensor really does make a difference. There have been a significant number of complaints with the Hero about people hanging up calls, etc, because their face touches the screen.

I wouldn't bother going with the MyTouch, honestly. It's essentially an HTC Hero without HTC's SenseUI, which is what makes the Hero such an incredible device.

Also, I'm kind of shocked to not see the Moto Droid or HTC Touch Pro 2 on here. You might also want to wait and see who gets the HTC HD2 when that comes around.

If you want a media and app-centric device without a keyboard, there's really no beating the iPhone.
That's what I am thinking. I don't want a keyboard.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Curt@BMCPerformance
 
Curt@BMCPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 121
i got my motorola droid over on verizon. BEST DEVICE i have ever owned. period. It literally does everything, screen is amazing and HUGE. Having the android OS is amazing. Over the air updates, keypad is great. its perfect!

I come from (smartphone wise)

Palm Treo 700wx
Samsung SCHi-760
RIM Blackberry

its amazing and i'd never get another phone. If you try it and don't like the shape or the size or something physical then go for the HTC Eris.

engadget.com and boygeniusreport will give you GOBS of info on either of them.
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
Oh, and you may also want to consider waiting for some other new Motorola devices that may be coming around soon. It's rumored that Motorola will be releasing another device on Verizon featuring their MotoBLUR software (essentially an overlay on top of Android).



The device they show there is the Cliq on T-Mobile, but other devices will have the MotoBLUR software.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance View Post
i got my motorola droid over on verizon. BEST DEVICE i have ever owned. period. It literally does everything, screen is amazing and HUGE. Having the android OS is amazing. Over the air updates, keypad is great. its perfect!

I come from (smartphone wise)

Palm Treo 700wx
Samsung SCHi-760
RIM Blackberry

its amazing and i'd never get another phone. If you try it and don't like the shape or the size or something physical then go for the HTC Eris.

engadget.com and boygeniusreport will give you GOBS of info on either of them.
WOW, a BMC guy lol. I haven't been to those forums forever. Still running strong over there? Thanks for the advice.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Oh, and you may also want to consider waiting for some other new Motorola devices that may be coming around soon. It's rumored that Motorola will be releasing another device on Verizon featuring their MotoBLUR software (essentially an overlay on top of Android).



The device they show there is the Cliq on T-Mobile, but other devices will have the MotoBLUR software.
I am going to be waiting as long as I can stand not having a cell phone. I seen a pure black I Phone...where it didn't have the chrome part on it...around the sides, but can not find that again.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
You might want to consider T-Mobile's new plans then. Their Even More Plus plans are contract-free, and you pay a monthly installment on your device. Essentially the idea is that the plans are cheaper, but you don't get a subsidy on the phone, so it winds up being cheaper in the long run, because usually carriers build around a $20 a month fee for the subsidy into your plan, but then once your phone is paid off, or if you don't buy one from them, they're just getting free money from you.

So, if you buy a prepaid phone or something, that might be able to hold you over.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You might want to consider T-Mobile's new plans then. Their Even More Plus plans are contract-free, and you pay a monthly installment on your device. Essentially the idea is that the plans are cheaper, but you don't get a subsidy on the phone, so it winds up being cheaper in the long run, because usually carriers build around a $20 a month fee for the subsidy into your plan, but then once your phone is paid off, or if you don't buy one from them, they're just getting free money from you.

So, if you buy a prepaid phone or something, that might be able to hold you over.
Thanks for the advice man.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Superman09
Account SNAFU
 
Superman09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Tahoe 79 Scout II
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 546
Stay away from HTC. I fiance has been through 3 HTC phones in less than 5 months. And with no proximity sensor on the hero you hang up on people all the time. The Droid is a very nice phone, as is the Iphone. But like alot of my friends with Iphones have said, unless you really need something to help you stay organized the Iphone is basically a really expensive MP3 player that makes phone calls. I just got the Chocolate touch from Verizon and for being a "non-smart" phone it pretty nice and very easy to use.
__________________
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Curt@BMCPerformance
 
Curt@BMCPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 121
Haha, yup, sure are! Np and see ya around the forum!
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance View Post
Haha, yup, sure are! Np and see ya around the forum!
Just outta curiosity, what is your username over there?
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 32,045
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Verizon's decent.

Helps that GM has a corporate discount with them.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Stay away from HTC. I fiance has been through 3 HTC phones in less than 5 months. And with no proximity sensor on the hero you hang up on people all the time. The Droid is a very nice phone, as is the Iphone. But like alot of my friends with Iphones have said, unless you really need something to help you stay organized the Iphone is basically a really expensive MP3 player that makes phone calls. I just got the Chocolate touch from Verizon and for being a "non-smart" phone it pretty nice and very easy to use.
I've always had great luck with HTC devices. The proximity sensor in the Hero is a BIG problem though, and I'm not sure HOW that slipped past HTC, but they did rectify it for the VZW version. HTC has certainly had their problem devices, but a lot of the problems with HTC devices comes not from the device, but from WinMo.

And a quick side note, as far as the choice of network goes, I wouldn't put a whole lot of pittance into Verizon's current ad campaign. The ads are EXTREMELY misleading. Basically Verizon's older network technically qualifies as a 3G standard, while AT&T's does not, even though AT&T's is faster, which is people assume "3G" to mean. AT&T and Verizon have fairly similar high-speed coverage, and you should choose based on the coverage in your area.

Personally I like T-Mobile for high speed data, even though their 3G footprint is very small. Where they do have 3G coverage, it's usually faster, and they're working on upgrading their network to a standard 3x faster than AT&T is currently upgrading their network to, and 9x faster than VZW or Sprint's data networks (about equal to the speeds users are seeing on Sprint's 4G network, which has a much smaller footprint than T-Mobile's 3G network).

If you have network questions, that's my area of expertise. Haha.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
MCPOAJ
 
Drives: NOTHING
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NE.
Posts: 674
What's this have to do with "general automotive discussion"?? lol

But to answer your question i have an HTC imagio and it's alright i mean it is my first smart phone but i just can't get a hang of the sloppy touch keypad it plays awesome vids and takes amazingly wonderful pics lol some people say "your phone took those pictures?!" then i say yup but it's ok i would rather have the motorola droid with the slide keypad
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Palm Pre. Great phone, has a huge underground of home brew apps, and its on Sprint 4g network.

I have use this phone since its launch and it is very good.

I am a System engineer, so it fits the bill well
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #17
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Palm Pre. Great phone, has a huge underground of home brew apps, and its on Sprint 4g network.

I have use this phone since its launch and it is very good.

I am a System engineer, so it fits the bill well
WRONG.

There are currently NO cellular phones that utilize Sprint's (which isn't even really Sprint's, it's owned by Clearwire, and is also leased by Comcast) 4G network.

The Palm Pre is a CDMA/Ev-DO Rev. A (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000 )device, and ONLY that. The theoretical maximum data speed on the device is 3.6 mbps.

I will however say that it is a good device, but it has been known to have some build quality issues.

Even if it were a Wi-Max compliant device, there are very few areas with the service.
See: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/26/sprint_wimax/
http://www.clear.com/coverage
(The green is states where there is SOME Wi-Max (ie, Sprint 4G) coverage. The list of cities where it's available is below.)

Sprint's 4G network is under serious question right now. Sprint is the only company that will be going with the Wi-Max standard, it appears few device manufacturers are interested in making devices for it, and Sprint relies HEAVILY on roaming, which won't be available on the newer networks. Not only that, but Clear is deploying their Wi-Max network (ie, Sprint's upgrade path) on 2400 mhz spectrum, which penetrates buildings poorly and isn't very expansive, leading to poor coverage for rural areas.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
HeatherR
 
HeatherR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Verizon's decent.

Helps that GM has a corporate discount with them.
Hey Fen...Check they added Sprint and AT&T (Sprint upped theirs to 23%!)
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherR View Post
Hey Fen...Check they added Sprint and AT&T (Sprint upped theirs to 23%!)
Do you know if the Sprint one is for CDMA/iDEN or both? CDMA = Sprint, iDEN = Nextel. Many times the discounts are different. For example Waste Management is 30% on Nextel, 20% on Sprint.

T-Mobile has a 15% student discount, but you can't use that on the contract-free plans.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 32,045
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherR View Post
Hey Fen...Check they added Sprint and AT&T (Sprint upped theirs to 23%!)
Verizon's at 21% off...never was a fan of Sprint, and AT&T still seems expensive.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,919
My first couple cell phones were with verizon then I switched to T-Mobile to get the sidekick, but their service sucks so I switched back to verizon. AT&T sucks but the iphone 3GS is worth it. I switched from verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. No phone will beat what the iphone offers with all those apps. Verizon is getting the iphone next year I heard and if it does I will switch back lol.
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:27 AM   #22
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek
 
Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
My first couple cell phones were with verizon then I switched to T-Mobile to get the sidekick, but their service sucks so I switched back to verizon. AT&T sucks but the iphone 3GS is worth it. I switched from verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. No phone will beat what the iphone offers with all those apps. Verizon is getting the iphone next year I heard and if it does I will switch back lol.
There are a lot of rumors flying around about it, but I tend to doubt they'll be getting it within the next year.
__________________

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #23
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79
 
Stingr69's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LR AR
Posts: 1,639
I got a Droid yesterday for work. So far I like it. Bluetooth with the Camaro works great. I am not a tech savy person but this one is easy enough to work with without a thick manual to read. Lots of toys to keep me amused too.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #24
lafountain
 
lafountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 1995 3.8L Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 728
First and foremost before deciding on a phone, you really should decide on a carrier. While this may seem kind of silly, it really is good to find out who has the best service in your area, the best phone will do you no good if the service provided in your area is horrible. Talk to your friends and co-workers about their cellular service and find out what problems they have or have not had with their carrier. Once you know the carrier, then make the decision on the phone after that.
__________________


Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Let me say that I LOVE AT&T...5-year customer, now...and have had 0 problems with them as a carrier.
(Had to deal with warranty, etc.)

They are price-competitive with the likes of Verizon, but the roll-over minutes is simply fantastic. I have racked upwards of 1000 minutes or so...and I have one of the base-plans (as far as monthly minutes goes). I'm on the phone at least a 30min./day on average, so it's not like I don't use it for a week.

The Iphone is also great. I rag on Apple a LOT, but I do like this product. The only reason I did not buy one on my last renewal, was because I knew there was a higher-capacity model coming out soon, and I also didn't want to pay the mandatory $30/mo. data charge.

I will, however, seriously consider it next year when the contract renewal is up again.

I currently have a touch-screen feature-phone; the Samsung Eternity.

Did I say I love AT&T?

__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.