Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
songsj

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Dealer overfill, dipstick reading, etc

Awhile back I promised I would change my oil myself in my 2013 2LT LFX engine and post the results. I have been on a quest to get to the bottom of the overfill situations and dipstick confusion. Here is what I did.
1. Warmed the engine up to operating temperature then let it sit for 1 hour for the oil to drain down.
2. Jacked the car up and pulled the drain plug, then lowered the car to level with the plug out and let it drain for over 2 hours. At that point there was not even a drip coming out.
3. I then changed the filter and replaced the drain plug.
4. Next I added 5 quarts mobile 1 5w/30w and started the engine and ran it for a few minutes. I then waited about 5 minutes and checked the oil and 5 quarts did not even show on the dipstick.
5. I waited 1 hour and 5 quarts just barely wet the tip of the dipstick.
6. I then slowly started to add the 6th quart checking the oil about every 15 minutes. It started to show on the dipstick and at 45 minutes I added the rest of the 6th quart.
7. I then ran the engine a little more, shut it off and waited 3 hours for the oil to drain down.
8. With 6 quarts in it the dipstick reads in the middle of the hash marks or slightly above the 3rd hole on the dipstick.
9. My conclusion is that no matter what anyone tells you, if your dipstick is reading into the top hash marks or above you ARE OVERFULL!!!! I figure mine had at least 7 quarts in it maybe 8 !!!! These engines take time to drain down especially if the oil is not hot. If you check it right when you turn the engine off you will likely get a false reading. When you have your oil changed by someone else they will likely replace the drain plug to soon, then add 6 quarts and you will be overfull. The newer dipstick will read even a little less as it is about 1/8 inch shorter than what came with my car.
10. Bottom line is no matter which dipstick you have keep the reading somewhere between the hash marks AFTER the engine has had plenty of time to drain down. Hot or cold.
I went through this process to make sure I had every bit of oil drained out of the engine so I could get a true 6 quart reading on my dipstick for reference.

I fear there are a lot of people running overfull out there and I hope this information helps.

Again this is for the LFX engine, I cannot speak to the LLT or V8's.

Last edited by songsj; 08-22-2014 at 09:06 PM.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Jmcsjcrs

Drives: 2012 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Huh?

• 2012 2SS RS
  • CAI Industries
  • Lloyd's Floor and Trunk Mats
  • IOM Heritage Grill
  • Sparks SS emblems
  • Year One Restoration 1969 Camaro Script
Jmcsjcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
songsj

Quote:
Huh?
I know my post was long and come on, how hard can it be to change the oil? Well unfortunately several people, especially V6 owners have been running into situations where their dipsticks were reading way overfull after oil changes where only the required 6 quarts was added. Myself included. This is why I felt I needed to get all of the oil out of the engine possible, then add six quarts to get a reference point on my dipstick. I posted my results to help others who have experienced an overfill problem or are confused on how to read their dipstick on the LFX engine.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT Red Rock Coupe
I, for one, thank you for your trouble.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
songsj

You are so welcome and I feel a whole lot better knowing I am not running this thing over full. I know it's not the only reason but overfill situation may be why some people are getting so much oil in their catch cans.