Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

tandtperformance.com
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

USA - Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
red82

Drives: 82 vette
Question help please

Hi, I am doing a marketing assignment and have a question. What age group do you think GM has targeted with the new Camaro? Also, how old are you and why did you buy a new Camaro?

I am a in my late 30's and back in school, what an eye opener?

I do not have a Camaro at the moment, but I am absolutely in love with the new car. I think it's because I have been a 69 Camaro fan forever. I used to own a 1980 RS Camaro in the 90's, perfectly mint condition, miss that car; but now I have a red 82 vette, mint, and an 08 Malibu, so as you can see, I am a big chevy guy.

Thanks for reading and I hope you guys can help me out.
red82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, 21" whls
check this out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10772
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
red82

Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Thnx, I used that, but I want some responses on my thread from actual owners. I also want to know what made you want to buy this car???

Thnx again...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Mark-HD

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS
I think they targeted kids, like me......54 and still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a living when I grow up.
2010 Camaro SS, M6, MTI shifter and sway bars, GM quarter flares, Corsa catback, Roto-Fab CAI, 30% tinted windows, Lloyd's custom mats, Hawk ceramic pads, Pedders lower coils, Magnuson supercharger with 3.6 pulley, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Kook's LT's1 7/8 w/cats, Lingenfelter/SLP billet pedals, KW V'3 Coilovers, RevExtreme catch can, ---Ordered--- IconZ LS7 9 & 11" polished wheels!. Dyno'd 563.05 HP, 543.86 Torq.
Mark-HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Hey turned 40 2 weeks after picking up my new toy....

Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
red82

Thnx guys, keep it coming, I love the pics and the comments....
Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Hey Red!

I think GM targeted 2 specific demographics for the new Camaro.
Being a car with such a legacy, and passionate following, one group was obviously the older enthusiast. Approx age 40-65 (Baby Boomers). For this group, it was important that the new design communicated all of the ideals and characteristics that make it a Camaro. This is the vehicle they grew up with either fond memories of, or dreamed of. Now they have the chance to get those days back, and better than ever! Thus the design influence of the '69 Camaro.

The second group would the the younger, "Gen-Y" crowd. Approx ages 16-30. These would be the buyers that are less swayed by heritage, but instead swayed by bold design, the latest technology, and most importantly...IMAGE. More specifically within this younger demographic, there is the infamous "tuner crowd" which I know GM also paid a great deal of attention to. That is precisely why the V6, even though the "entry-level" engine option, is still a f*cking bad ass sports car that can instantly throw you back in your seats! Not to mention the extensive line of accessories that are out, and still in the works. By focusing on this age group, GM is making an attempt to win over a new generation of buyers, and get their attention back on American brands.

Obviously, the new Camaro is a car that appeals to just about everyone with a pulse. But I would have to say those would be the 2 target groups, with specific likes and dis-likes that they needed to be sensitive to. If those 2 groups are happy/pleased, then everyone else is sure to be.

Hope that helped. Good luck with school!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
I think that GM targeted everyone that loves fast cars. Whether you own one or not, it is a head turner. We were on the expressway tonight and my husband floored it from the light, the guy that was next to us flashed his brights at because he loved the car and loved the speed. When we got stopped at the next light and he passed us, he had his window down and gave us a big thumb's up. That pretty much says it all. We own a 2010 manual IOM 2SS, but we also own a '69,'86 and a '92. We have owned 6 Camaro's in the past 26 years. I'm 45 and my husband is 48. We obviously love Camaro's.
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
All of the above. I am 56, love chevys, !st car was 57 chevy . owned 74 Chevy truck for 26 yrs till I couldnt smog it . Had 70 1/2 Camaro, brother in law had 69 z/28 which I borrowed for the prom and since that moment I have loved the Camaro. Got married at 19 , bought a &8 Corvette which was not practical since we had a child so there was no room for him so we put him in the back cargo area in car seat which was not tethered. (How dumb! dont tell the law! Thats ok the little kid in that seat will now turn us in because now he works for California Hiway Patrol and we just laugh about it) ^ 9 yrs ago I bought a s/10 extreme ,that was a cool truck. then bought my wife a Trailblazer which she loves. I drive a nissan 350z (great car) then the Camaro was announced and I went crazy, I HAVE TO HAVE THIS CAR!!!... the years passed and I read every nugget about the Camaro . Ordered it when it was available and I drove of in it in August 10 and have absolutely loved it every day since. Its like a good wife, you take care of h er and love her more every day.Every day when I go to the garage I admire and drool over her ( the Camaro not my wife) I have washed or cleaned my car every day since I have owned it...Every day!This car is like a drug.. you will become addicted. Just like this forum, I get on it every night. So come to the Camaro side and you will see what I mean........
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, 21" whls
I'm 41 and the last new car I bought was back in 1998 and was a Pontiac Grand Prix which I just sold to buy my Camaro. I have been unhurriedly waiting for a car to buy that I really want and not just something to get me from A to B. This car was it! Oh yeah..., this car was it!
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-HD View Post
I think they targeted kids, like me......54 and still trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a living when I grow up.
the old joke...

Why do adults ask kids what they want to be when they grow up?

They are looking for ideas!

BTW.. 46 years old... My Camaro purchase was total impulse... went to the dealer to see what the hub-bub was all about... seen the car... and bought it! (was an order someone had backed out on)...

As to who they are marking to... I have to go with the older crowd (40+)... some of the retro styling ques... the full size...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Red
It's no secret that the car is targeting more than one market segment. With the strong heritage styling, it appeals to us "Boomers". The dramatic cutting edge styling attracts the younger group, and the lower tier models, attract the secretaries...which by the way, is strong Mustang territory.
Alfie
Old 11-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I love the retro styling of the new Camaro and it just plain looks cool. I'm a 51 year old woman. I think chevy has targeted children of all ages with this car. I have ordered one because I wanted a 69 Camaro since I was 12 and now I have enough money to buy my own and I'm going to get it. I am fulfilling a childhood fantasy. Actually, I just think it will be fun. I am usually a bit more frugal with my money, but this is the one time I'm going to splurge on me.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
I think it was targeted for EVERYONE. If you build a car, and do it right, people will buy it. Now, defining 'doing it right' is going to be different for everyone. Some will like the styling, some will like the ability to tune/add-ons, some will like the technology inside (bluetooth, PDIM, etc)...and some willl want it all... and some, well, just want to go fast with the badest new car on the market. But it all comes down to, you have to do it right. If any of those features fail on the market, the car would not have been as popular.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
red82

thanx for the responses everyone, keep them coming, this is great to read the stories and opinions.
Contacted GM Canada and it looks like they are going to help me out with my questions....
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #16
mjlash22

Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
You may want to try posting this in the general discussion forum. Unless you want results from the great lakes region specifically.
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 AM   #17
red82

Quote:
Originally Posted by red82 View Post
Hi, I am doing a marketing assignment and have a question. What age group do you think GM has targeted with the new Camaro? Also, how old are you and why did you buy a new Camaro?

I am a in my late 30's and back in school, what an eye opener?

I do not have a Camaro at the moment, but I am absolutely in love with the new car. I think it's because I have been a 69 Camaro fan forever. I used to own a 1980 RS Camaro in the 90's, perfectly mint condition, miss that car; but now I have a red 82 vette, mint, and an 08 Malibu, so as you can see, I am a big chevy guy.

Thanks for reading and I hope you guys can help me out.
Thanx everybody, the assignment is done and handed in....