Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
GM asks Europe for up to 4.6 billion handout.

I really want to continue supporting GM, but this is making it real hard. YOu would think after all the public backlash they got here that they wouldn't have the balls to do this abroad.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34108949...=MSNToolbar100
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Coldpants
Nerdy one
 
Coldpants's Avatar
 
Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (elba), ct
Posts: 804
Well now we know their plan to pay back our government.
__________________
Dave McFly:
Modern cars are awash in “It-goes-to-11” ergonomics. No one asked for it. It’s just in your car because—like black mold or a carjacker with herpes—it can be.
SHORT FAT ROUND NINJA

Last edited by Coldpants; 11-23-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,717
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldpants View Post
Well now we know there plan to pay back our government.
.................



But seriously. I'm at a loss at this point. I was against a bailout of roreign makers even though they build cars and employ people here. At the same line, Europ should tell us to get bent.
__________________
PQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
.................



But seriously. I'm at a loss at this point. I was against a bailout of roreign makers even though they build cars and employ people here. At the same line, Europ should tell us to get bent.
Thats how I feel. I love my domestic cars as much as I love my foreign ones but if this continues I will just keep buying new foreign cars that don't need to rely on government money to proceed. Looks, like I may be adding another porchse to the collection instead of the vette.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,717
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Thats how I feel. I love my domestic cars as much as I love my foreign ones but if this continues I will just keep buying new foreign cars that don't need to rely on government money to proceed. Looks, like I may be adding another porchse to the collection instead of the vette.
NOOOOOOO

Get the Vette. We need to pay ourselves back.
__________________
PQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
derklug

 
derklug's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Boss 302
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Posts: 1,253
Foriegn auto makers are subsidized by their countries. Imagine the big 3 with no health care costs.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm confused...what with the Opel decision earlier this month, and now this.....something's going on.

And for the record, GM Europe is sufficiently separate from GM NA...this money will never see US soil (if given), and given the small amount of money, and large amount of nations that would pitch in...it's relatively meager request...my .02, anyways.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,138
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm not happy with this, but I imagine that GM Europe's brands deserve the help. If Nissan asked North America for help without having any North America-specific brand, I would encourage rejecting that action. GM, on the other hand, has brands over there that are completely independent and unique from those in the US and Canada. If those brands are in trouble, it does make sense to ask their hosts for help.

It is never good to have to ask for help.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
1bad65
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldpants View Post
Well now we know their plan to pay back our government.
It's like paying your Visa bill with your MasterCard.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
forget that Equinox i was thinking about buying. Screw GM. Just when i was respecting them again they go and do this bullshit.

No Equinox for us. Forrester here we come!
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,786
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
forget that Equinox i was thinking about buying. Screw GM. Just when i was respecting them again they go and do this bullshit.

No Equinox for us. Forrester here we come!
Are you serious right now?
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Foriegn auto makers are subsidized by their countries. Imagine the big 3 with no health care costs.
with the new labor contracts beginning the next few years i think the union pays for benefits and not GM ford etc..........

so yeah.....imagine indeed
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
comiskeybum
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Equinox LS
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Bend, Indiana
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Are you serious right now?
I was until i read the article more..........its GM europe and not the US.

EQUINOX here we come!!

you can delete my prior post. lol
comiskeybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
What I say to those countries" PAY UP SUCKERS"
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Black5thgen
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2007 C6
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiskeybum View Post
forget that Equinox i was thinking about buying. Screw GM. Just when i was respecting them again they go and do this bullshit.

No Equinox for us. Forrester here we come!
If you keep buying foreign we will have no industry and no middle class. I've never been more happy with our decision to order an equinox last week, it's a great car. I'm just as excited as when I ordered the Camaro, well maybe not but I'm still excited.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #16
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
NOOOOOOO

Get the Vette. We need to pay ourselves back.
Yeah its really hard. I want to get a Z06 but everyone I look at I just think why not just get the ZR-1 but then the ZR-1 just seems like a Z06 with just more horsepower to me. Then it's like ok I already have a M6 do I really need another 100,000 car. So now I spliting hairs between a new Z06 or getting a great deal on a 911 Turbo, which I could get cheaper then a Z06.

It's all going to hell, meanwhile the wife is telling me I don't need anymore cars because we don't have room for them, so now I'm looking at buying a piece of property near my house to bulid a 7 car gargage. It's just annoying.

Anyways I may just still get the vette.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #17
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm confused...what with the Opel decision earlier this month, and now this.....something's going on.

And for the record, GM Europe is sufficiently separate from GM NA...this money will never see US soil (if given), and given the small amount of money, and large amount of nations that would pitch in...it's relatively meager request...my .02, anyways.
This is so true, but we all know the general public won't understand that and will just have more ammo against GM to fire with.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #18
Coldpants
Nerdy one
 
Coldpants's Avatar
 
Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: (elba), ct
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm confused...what with the Opel decision earlier this month, and now this.....something's going on.

And for the record, GM Europe is sufficiently separate from GM NA...this money will never see US soil (if given), and given the small amount of money, and large amount of nations that would pitch in...it's relatively meager request...my .02, anyways.
I know, but sometimes logic and truth are not funny. Besides GM just announced that is would start paying our government back like a week ago so at first glance it looks funny. What really upsets me is what they did to Saab. QC went to hell when GM bought it and I noticed that in upstate NY Saab's went from being on every corner to a rare find.
__________________
Dave McFly:
Modern cars are awash in “It-goes-to-11” ergonomics. No one asked for it. It’s just in your car because—like black mold or a carjacker with herpes—it can be.
SHORT FAT ROUND NINJA
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Foriegn auto makers are subsidized by their countries. Imagine the big 3 with no health care costs.
Enough said!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #20
MCPOAJ
 
Drives: NOTHING
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NE.
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
If you keep buying foreign we will have no industry and no middle class. I've never been more happy with our decision to order an equinox last week, it's a great car. I'm just as excited as when I ordered the Camaro, well maybe not but I'm still excited.
HEY YOU!!! Quit making sense!!! people might start catching on
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,875
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Thats how I feel. I love my domestic cars as much as I love my foreign ones but if this continues I will just keep buying new foreign cars that don't need to rely on government money to proceed. Looks, like I may be adding another porchse to the collection instead of the vette.
If you are opposed to government funding of automakers, don't run to Porsche.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper
 
Kyle2k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Yeah its really hard. I want to get a Z06 but everyone I look at I just think why not just get the ZR-1 but then the ZR-1 just seems like a Z06 with just more horsepower to me. Then it's like ok I already have a M6 do I really need another 100,000 car. So now I spliting hairs between a new Z06 or getting a great deal on a 911 Turbo, which I could get cheaper then a Z06.

It's all going to hell, meanwhile the wife is telling me I don't need anymore cars because we don't have room for them, so now I'm looking at buying a piece of property near my house to bulid a 7 car gargage. It's just annoying.

Anyways I may just still get the vette.
Yeah...sounds like an annoying dilemma to have
__________________
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
diddiyo


 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .
Posts: 3,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
It's like paying your Visa bill with your MasterCard.
well that pretty much was the way of life until recently. and knowing that GM is (or should I say has been) sometimes a little slow catching up with reality... who knows what they're up to.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM to forego $2 bil March loan Douge General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 27 03-12-2009 11:52 PM
Press Release: GM to Bolster Liquidity by $15 Billion through 2009 Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 6 07-17-2008 12:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.