Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Rod10269
Hot Rod

Drives: 69 Z28,69 SS 396,67 Chevelle
Shift light pattern 1st to 4th

I have the 2ss rs 6 speed manual and for the last couple of times driving the car this shift pattern will come up in the display showing me to shift from 1st to 4th...read in the manual and it stated to not try and force it into 2nd that thiss would cause trans damage and after you shift to 4th you can then downshift..something about fuel mileage? Just trying to understand what is going on with this and if anybody else has experienced this and how are the handling it.
Rod10269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
103FrazzL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod10269 View Post
I have the 2ss rs 6 speed manual and for the last couple of times driving the car this shift pattern will come up in the display showing me to shift from 1st to 4th...read in the manual and it stated to not try and force it into 2nd that thiss would cause trans damage and after you shift to 4th you can then downshift..something about fuel mileage? Just trying to understand what is going on with this and if anybody else has experienced this and how are the handling it.
It is the skip shift it and yes it is supposed to help with gas mileage. Slp does sell a skip shift eliminator it's like 30$ and easy to install. If you give it more throttle out of 1st it will not make you do it, that's the cheap fix.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
We can tune out the skip shift for you
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
The only time mine ever comes on is when some granola eater in a Subaru is at a stop sign/light in front of me, trying to get that extra teaspoon out of a gallon of gas so as not to hurt the feelings of the earth. A quick downshift and a rear tire-melting pass quickly negates their efforts. Other than that, I tend to drive it like I stole it so it doesn't have a chance to activate.
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
The DiabloSport and the Superchips Flashpaq will turn it off for you.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
SPANKT U

Drives: 2010 2SSRS Inferno Orange LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
The DiabloSport and the Superchips Flashpaq will turn it off for you.
I wished I could get my Superchips Flashpaq to work. It has been 2 weeks since the programmer said they would put my car's VIN in their database and it is still just a paperweight....
Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I have only had it happen a few times, just go to 4th then right back to 3rd for smoother acceleration.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
I have read on another thread that this skip shift eliminator does the trick, its just an inline plug http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/product_p/21008.htm Haven't tried it yet but plan on installing it.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
amphi

Drives: 2SS Imperial Blue
I can't seem to wrap my head around the skip shift. Why does it make you bog down the engine when shifting so early. Doesn't this waste more fuel? Can anyone explain?
amphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphi View Post
I can't seem to wrap my head around the skip shift. Why does it make you bog down the engine when shifting so early. Doesn't this waste more fuel? Can anyone explain?
no it doesn't, otherwise it wouldn't be used. It boosts the city mileage rating of the car and has been around for 20 years. It was created so that the Corvette didn't have to pay a gas guzzler tax yet doesn't impede on performance. If you don't want to do anything which might void the warranty, accelerate a little harder and it won't come into effect

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
jdebrock

Drives: 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
I have the skip shift in my Challenger. I absolutely hate the thing! It always seems to come on at the worst time ie: turning in an intersection. What a wonderful feeling to be entering an intersection, only to find out that you're locked out of 2nd or 3rd. I just bought the plug in eliminator, but until I install it I have been starting off in 2nd gear.
jdebrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
2SSjack

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro;
Just installed a Skip Shift Eliminator. I got it on EBAY from a company called Speed Inc. out of Schaumburg, Illinois. $18.95 + shipping! Went in with no trouble! It is a little easier if you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the trans crossmember to the body; about 1/2-3/4" will do. Do not take them all the way out. DON'T forget to tighten them when you are done.
2SSjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
gltrakas

Drives: Imperial Blue Met 1SS 6-sp Manual
i have to say, i hate this. let me worry about my gas mileage. for one thing, i didn't buy an 8 cyl. to worry about gas....i got it to burn some up! when it did come on, it seemed like 4th was to high of a gear, like it wanted to bog down on me. this was during my break-in whgen i was a little easier with it though.
gltrakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
Milidin

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Low RPM?

Just bought my Camaro SS and learning to drive it with this skip shift system as well. When the suggestion to shift from 1st to 4th comes up I'm only at about 2k rpm and when I shift to 4th it drops all the way down to about 800 and bogs down the engine. Feels like it's bad for it and I noticed a burning smell as well. I'm used to driving a 2.0 liter WRX that I just traded up from and I would never have dreamed of driving that below 2k rpm. I'm guessing with the larger engine the Camaro can go lower. Is accelerating below 1000rpm bad for the engine or trans? What the lowest Rpm I should cruise at with this car? Thanks
Milidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milidin View Post
Just bought my Camaro SS and learning to drive it with this skip shift system as well. When the suggestion to shift from 1st to 4th comes up I'm only at about 2k rpm and when I shift to 4th it drops all the way down to about 800 and bogs down the engine. Feels like it's bad for it and I noticed a burning smell as well. I'm used to driving a 2.0 liter WRX that I just traded up from and I would never have dreamed of driving that below 2k rpm. I'm guessing with the larger engine the Camaro can go lower. Is accelerating below 1000rpm bad for the engine or trans? What the lowest Rpm I should cruise at with this car? Thanks
The eliminator is worth it. I will be ordering one for my SS here in the next few days.

The car has already calculated that a shift to 4th at the speed it comes on is with acceptable range. Lugging is when the transmission is turning slower than the engine wants to run. As long as you're not requiring a lot of power, cruising at low RPM is okay.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Yes, you can go much lower than 2k. Those engines can lumber along at 1000-1500 all day long if you want them to.

You can't really hurt the engine in a high gear with low RPM's unless you're on the throttle pretty hard. I have no clue what that smell might be.

As far as CAGS, its pretty easy to outsmart it. It will only lock you out if you are going between 15-20 mph, and only if you're applying something like 1/3 throttle, and (obvoiusly) only in 1st gear. So to avoid it, you could shift a bit later and it won't stop you. Or you could shift sooner (or even start in 2nd if you really want to, but I don't exactly recommend it).

Another cheap way around it is using a resistor. Search for 'resistor' and 'skip shift' and you'll find a bunch of people who can detail whats involved.

More expensive is to get a skip-shift eliminator and electronically tune it out.

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
Oft

Drives: Black 2011 2/SS
The smell might be clutch..... If its an Auto then who knows..
Oft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oft View Post
The smell might be clutch..... If its an Auto then who knows..
Auto's don't have skip shift ...

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum