Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Cruze: Crash Test ratings in Europe

I'm not sure how this translates into US-spec crash tests...but this is fantastic news, because the Cobalt its replacing has less-than-acceptable crash-test ratings (three stars all around)...yet it's still selling close to 200,000 units!!!!

This....should help!

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../1125_GM_Cruze
Quote:
The Chevrolet Cruze global compact sedan, already on sale in Europe, Asia and other markets, has earned the top rating of five stars from the European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP), which released its latest safety ratings on November 25.

According to EuroNCAP, the Cruze scored 79 points out of 100, making it one of the safest models in the passenger car class.

The Cruze received a maximum 16 points in the frontal offset collision test and a maximum 8 points in the side impact crash test against a moving deformable barrier. The Chevrolet Cruze is the first passenger car to receive maximum scores in both tests since EuroNCAP began providing crash test ratings in 1997.

The independent European testing organization also awarded the compact sedan a high score of 7.3 out of 8 points in the more severe side pole test, indicating that Cruze’s reinforced side shell helps protect passengers in the event of a side collision. The headrests were well positioned to absorb crash energy against whiplash in a rear-end collision. The compact sedan was also given high marks for child and pedestrian protection during testing.

“We are pleased with the Cruze’s outstanding safety rating,” said Steve Clarke, vice president, global vehicle engineering. “Today’s results confirm that the Cruze offers benchmark safety. This complements its bold styling, excellent ride and handling, and outstanding value.”

The Cruze had earlier received best-in-class, five-star crash safety ratings in the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) testing in Australia and the Chinese New Car Assessment Program (C-NCAP) testing in China.

Contributing to the outstanding test results is the car’s solid body structure. The Cruze features a new body-frame integral (BFI) system supplemented with finely tuned chassis components. With the BFI system, the upper body structure and frame are engineered as a single unit, offering a heightened sense of solidity and stability.

Sixty-four percent of the structure is constructed of high-strength steel, offering a high level of protection. Reinforcing the door and locker seal applications, the use of ultra-high-strength steel for the B-pillars and the efficient aluminum bumper application further ensure maximum safety.

The Cruze is a member of a new range of small, compact and mid-size products being rolled out in markets around the world. Production for the United States and Canada will begin in the third quarter of 2010 in Lordstown, OH.

For more information on EuroNCAP’s safety ratings, go to www.euroncap.com.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Not impressed >.>
Safety ruins style. And puts far to many drivers in that 'im invincible' mode.

I bet if you had a 90% chance to die in a crash people would be a lot more compatent drivers.

(sorry I love being negative)
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Not impressed >.>

I bet if you had a 90% chance to die in a crash people would be a lot more compatent drivers.

I would agree but people are still very safe drivers because most don't go around trying to get into a crash.

BTW, will the Cruze have something similar to a SS version?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Not impressed >.>

I don't even know how to respond to that.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
SleepWarz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

I don't even know how to respond to that.
Lots of love fen, but I'm glad I finially stumped you.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I would agree but people are still very safe drivers because most don't go around trying to get into a crash.

BTW, will the Cruze have something similar to a SS version?
like the cobalt? i wish. i probably wouldn't buy it anyways before the camaro, but it would be cool. lol they have it on the hhr so i dont see why not.
305pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
No SS versions are available anymore (production-wise). No Sport model is planned... but that's not to say one version isn't going to have a bigger engine and stiffer suspension!

I think this car is a great step up from the Cobalt! Moreso then the Cobalt from the Cavy, in leaps and bounds!! Go GM! We'll be on top soon again!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Not impressed >.>

Safety has a minimal impact on style. The main casualtly is a high beltline, but many consider that to be more of a function issue (harder to see out of) than style (gets complemented for looking cool more than complained about). You can hide most safety elements of a car however, aerodynamics do have a direct impact on styling. This is what dictates the 'jellybean' shape of the bulk of cars on the road today, from sub-comacts up to full size sedans and even many crossovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
No SS versions are available anymore (production-wise). No Sport model is planned... but that's not to say one version isn't going to have a bigger engine and stiffer suspension!

I think this car is a great step up from the Cobalt! Moreso then the Cobalt from the Cavy, in leaps and bounds!! Go GM! We'll be on top soon again!
The SS name is still alive at GM. Its just getting scaled back so that a car which wears the badge truly deserves it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The SS name is still alive at GM. Its just getting scaled back so that a car which wears the badge truly deserves it.
Uhh... the whole Performance Division has been disbanded. No more SS' after the current running vehicles line up quits. No?

I do know the Camaro SS and Corvettes will continue.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Uhh... the whole Performance Division has been disbanded. No more SS' after the current running vehicles line up quits. No?

I do know the Camaro SS and Corvettes will continue.
The SS badge is older than the performance divison by about 40 years. The disappearance of a corporate group (who also did Redline, GXP, and -V cars) doesn't mean there will never be another SS. It just means that nonsense like the Malibu Maxx SS won't be seen again.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Not impressed >.>

WOW!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The SS badge is older than the performance divison by about 40 years. The disappearance of a corporate group (who also did Redline, GXP, and -V cars) doesn't mean there will never be another SS. It just means that nonsense like the Malibu Maxx SS won't be seen again.
Oh yes i realize that. I'm just saying from what i understood: At this point in time, no more SS' will be created, until GM gets more cashflow and the P.D. can get up and running.

The end of the SS would have been realllllllly bad!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Not impressed >.>

Its not GM's job to worry how the public is driving cars, its their job to build good ones. And do you honestly think when people who drive like that are cross-shopping cars they consider the fact they drive like asshats? These following words have never been uttered in a dealer showroom: "I drive 3 inches from the bumper of the guy in front of me, so I need something with good braking capacity."

Those whackadoos think WE are the bad drivers bro.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
SleepWarz
Banned

Or, I have frequent tailgaters, I need 2 double barrel shotguns installed behind my tail lights with a flip down system. I bet I wont even need ammunition =p

But anyways, the less incentive to use your phone, makeup, gps, whatever.... The better. Be it if you have to sacrifice personal safety for propper awareness. I'm tired of all this crap encouraging careless driving and then protecting these idiots.