Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
N2008T

Drives: 2SS RS Auto
clunking in suspension

Anyone notice that it sounds like shocks topping out on mild ripples in road getting clunking noise in suspension I have a 2SS RS Auto
N2008T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Mine doesnt do that? 1SS/RS Manual. I would take it back and have your dealer inspect. How hard are you pushing it on the Neg Camber turns?
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
75rusty
awesome!

Drives: 07 Jetta WB, '92 GTI 16vT, '76 LUV
My LS does the same thing, a subtle pop/thunk like the shocks are topping out, or the upper mount is bad.

Is you car still stock, or have you upgraded the suspension? I'm 100% stock still.
75rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Terrellford12

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
driveshaft rubbing
Terrellford12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
I ran road atlanta road course yesterday. Never had the issue there. But on the street when cold have had that strange noise. Cheap shocks for sure.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
75rusty
awesome!

I think it's the shocks also, can't wait for Bilstein to come out with the Sport's and HD's.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
ZAP 1401

Drives: 2SS/RS/Blk-Blk/L99,
I think struts or strut mounts, I have 2ss/rs auto, less than 400 miles, rolled off the truck clunking on both sides.
ZAP 1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
N2008T

Drives: 2SS RS Auto
My car is stock 2SS 2k miles now been like that since new. After being blown off on tire problems at dealer I have no confindence that they will even care to address problem I paid to have tires changed twice car is ok now but dealer said there never was a problem. So I wanted a little info before going back to the hell of a Chevy dealer with a problem
N2008T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #9
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
We are seeing issues with the upper rear strut and washer contacting the sheet metal inside the strut bucket. This issue appears to be significant variations in height of the sheet metal. We are seeing as much as a 3/8 of an inch variation with them.

Simple fix is to take a drift and push up on the sheet metal.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If the noise is what we suspect it might be, you can feel it in the trunk floor just above the are where the strut mounts.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy
My other car is 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
We are seeing issues with the upper rear strut and washer contacting the sheet metal inside the strut bucket. This issue appears to be significant variations in height of the sheet metal. We are seeing as much as a 3/8 of an inch variation with them.

mike
dms
Hi mike do you or any one that works with pedders have a pic of the variations in height of the sheet metal so we can find the place to look at it.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:

mike
dms
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If the noise is what we suspect it might be, you can feel it in the trunk floor just above the are where the strut mounts.
Are you guys saying the noise most people are hearing actually originates in the rear suspension ?

Is the height difference in the rear strut bucket visible, how can one check this?

Can you elaborate on this ? " Simple fix is to take a drift and push up on the sheet metal. "

Thanks in advance !
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarorick View Post
Are you guys saying the noise most people are hearing actually originates in the rear suspension ?

Is the height difference in the rear strut bucket visible, how can one check this?

Can you elaborate on this ? " Simple fix is to take a drift and push up on the sheet metal. "

Thanks in advance !
First of all, the noise we are seeing is a tinny rattle noise that sounds like it is coming from the trunk. This would not be the cause of a noise in the front.

This concern seems to occur more when there is more deflection or load in the upper rear strut bushing. Therefore, is more dominant with upgraded rear coils and things like a performance coil over.

When you look at the bucket on the inside, you will see there is a body seam spot welded. The contact is at the spot weld area. I will see if I can dig up some pictures.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2008T View Post
Anyone notice that it sounds like shocks topping out on mild ripples in road getting clunking noise in suspension I have a 2SS RS Auto
REBOOT

Is the noise in the front or the rear of your Camaro?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
ZAP 1401

Drives: 2SS/RS/Blk-Blk/L99,
Front.
ZAP 1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
JusticePete

Get your Camaro up on a lift or jack stands. Take a good long look at the upper spring and where it mounts. Do you see anything out of place?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
First of all, the noise we are seeing is a tinny rattle noise that sounds like it is coming from the trunk. This would not be the cause of a noise in the front.

This concern seems to occur more when there is more deflection or load in the upper rear strut bushing. Therefore, is more dominant with upgraded rear coils and things like a performance coil over.

When you look at the bucket on the inside, you will see there is a body seam spot welded. The contact is at the spot weld area. I will see if I can dig up some pictures.

mike
dms
I am having these noises from the back also and would love to take care of it somehow. I will see if I can find what you are talking about in the back but any pictures would help.
Thanks

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #18
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
I am having these noises from the back also and would love to take care of it somehow. I will see if I can find what you are talking about in the back but any pictures would help.
Thanks
Interesting, one from the front and one from the back.

A possible source of the rear noise is covered by the rear strut assembly. If you pull your rear strut out look for a point of contact from the mounting hardware on the sheetmetal.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #19
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Interesting, one from the front and one from the back.

A possible source of the rear noise is covered by the rear strut assembly. If you pull your rear strut out look for a point of contact from the mounting hardware on the sheetmetal.
Pete,
Thanks for the info. I will probably wait until my sway bars and the rest of my bushings are in, as the rear end will have to be dropped anyways. I can have my local shop check it out for me and hopefully take care of it at the same time.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2008T View Post
My car is stock 2SS 2k miles now been like that since new. After being blown off on tire problems at dealer I have no confindence that they will even care to address problem I paid to have tires changed twice car is ok now but dealer said there never was a problem. So I wanted a little info before going back to the hell of a Chevy dealer with a problem
How did they connect the tires to the knock?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
75rusty
awesome!

Quote:
Get your Camaro up on a lift or jack stands. Take a good long look at the upper spring and where it mounts. Do you see anything out of place?
Pete,

I've had my car on the lift a few times now. Everything thing looks great.

I still have the exact same noise after lowering my car. Going over subtle bumps, or large speed humps (both at low speeds, 20mph or less) I get a subtle thunk noise from the front end. It has done this from day one at 11 miles, still doing it today at 2200 miles. I don't know what to make of it.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75rusty View Post
Pete,

I've had my car on the lift a few times now. Everything thing looks great.

I still have the exact same noise after lowering my car. Going over subtle bumps, or large speed humps (both at low speeds, 20mph or less) I get a subtle thunk noise from the front end. It has done this from day one at 11 miles, still doing it today at 2200 miles. I don't know what to make of it.
Ok, I am getting this exact same noise in the same situations, but only from the rear, passenger side only I believe. However, I did NOT get this noise stock, ONLY when I put lowering springs on it. I have had my shop check, and recheck, and recheck everything multiple times and they can not find anything to be loose or out of place. They did not check the upper mount though. I will have to take it back and have them look at that for me.

Pete,

Any pics would be great, or any more info you might have. I will keep you guys updated when I have my shop take a look at this. Thanks.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
JusticePete

I would really like to see you cars, but both are on the other side of the country. Mike (dms) live in the Napa area. Are either of you headed that way?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #24
2SSRS@Gen5diy
My other car is 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Pete in the front i think its the room the front strut has to go up and down, As it hits the strut tower in a drop, If you hit a big pot hole the strut drops and the big washer hits the strut tower, That is why i have a set of pillow blocks made for the car, I will have them by the 10th of January.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #25
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
I would really like to see you cars, but both are on the other side of the country. Mike (dms) live in the Napa area. Are either of you headed that way?
I'll be up in the San Fran area but not til the end of February. I'm sure I'll have this problem fixed by then. I will let you know what I find out though, when I do.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote