Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
1LT paddle shift.

I dont really get why, but my Manual (tapshift) in my auto doesn't allow me to shift...

I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Step 1) Go into Sports/Manual shift
Step 2) Shift using paddle shift

I tried doing this but it seems like my car just... shifts normally... even if I dont shift at all using the paddle... I was under the impression that the paddle shift would give you complete control of your shifts...

Am I missing something? It shifts normally for me even when it says "M2" or whatever...
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
I dont really get why, but my Manual (tapshift) in my auto doesn't allow me to shift...

I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Step 1) Go into Sports/Manual shift
Step 2) Shift using paddle shift

I tried doing this but it seems like my car just... shifts normally... even if I dont shift at all using the paddle... I was under the impression that the paddle shift would give you complete control of your shifts...

Am I missing something? It shifts normally for me even when it says "M2" or whatever...
Nope, my 2LS does the same thing. All you accomplish with the paddles is adjusting the top gear limit! You never actually shift the car. If you notice there may be a lengthy delay between when you actuate a paddle (or it may not shift at all) and when you feel it grab another gear, this is because you haven't yet reached the car's ideal RPM to shift, meaning the car is still in control of said shift.

I was under the impression that this only applied to later cars of the LS model only (not your 10' LT) so if someone else could verify that...
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
That's a new one, it is showing M in the display with the gear it's in but still shifts automatically? If so you need to take it in because something is definately wrong.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
Nope, my 2LS does the same thing. All you accomplish with the paddles is adjusting the top gear limit! You never actually shift the car. If you notice there may be a lengthy delay between when you actuate a paddle (or it may not shift at all) and when you feel it grab another gear, this is because you haven't yet reached the car's ideal RPM to shift.
That is only on the 2012 and 2013 2LS he has a 2010 1LT just like I had. It works differently than yours.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Scooter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That is only on the 2LS he has a 1LT just like I had. It works differently than yours.
Ok, you responded before you saw my edit. I looked at his model after I wrote that and realized I was probably wrong. Thanks for catching me

Funny though, you were the first one who told me about that on my car.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
Ok, you responded before you saw my edit. I looked at his model after I wrote that and realized I was probably wrong. Thanks for catching me

Funny though, you were the first one who told me about that on my car.
LOL we don't want to confuse him.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Scooter11

Quote:
LOL we don't want to confuse him.
True... OP take the car to the dealer, you have a problem! Disregard post #2 entirely!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
mc_acoustic

Okay that being said, I also have TRIFECTA tune, could that be the reason why?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Okay that being said, I also have TRIFECTA tune, could that be the reason why?
I don't know anything about tunes, I don't see why they would disable manual mode though. You may want to contact them and ask if it is supposed to disable it.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
mc_acoustic

So just to be clear, I should be able to rev high (5000 rpm) in manual mode with tap shift right?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
So just to be clear, I should be able to rev high (5000 rpm) in manual mode with tap shift right?
You can go all the way to the rev limiter if you want.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
mc_acoustic

gah i wonder why...
Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Yep, I've hit the rev limiter a couple times before, it shocked me because when it cut in the car backfired on me.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
mc_acoustic

So just so I know, you bring it to sport mode then shift one of the paddleshift and that should enable it right?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #15
Austin45
Poor College Kid

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Yep, I've hit the rev limiter a couple times before, it shocked me because when it cut in the car backfired on me.
I've had the happen too, it was kinda cool...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
delta6
USN-MSC

Drives: 2012 Camaro TF3 #427
I know exactly what you mean. I had that problem until I figured out how it works. Basically, if you want to use the paddle shifters from 0mph, all you need to do is tap your left paddle...somehow telling the car that you're in control...after that, tap your right paddle to put in on 1st gear...then step on it. If you put in on M and keep pressing the R-PS, it will not do anything really...except for downshifting.

Last edited by delta6; 06-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.
delta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #17
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta6 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I had that problem until I figured out how it works. Basically, if you want to use the paddle shifters from 0mph, all you need to do is tap your left paddle...somehow telling the car that you're in control...after that, tap your right paddle to put in on 1st gear...then step on it. If you put in on M and keep pressing the R-PS, it will not do anything really...expect for downshifting.
And this was the solution.

Thanks man! i dont think i ever played around with it unless i was already in drive which I think kinda "confused" the computer into thinking it was still in auto mode.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
And this was the solution.

Thanks man! i dont think i ever played around with it unless i was already in drive which I think kinda "confused" the computer into thinking it was still in auto mode.

Try it and let me know if it worked for you. If not, then we have a problem.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. I had that problem until I figured out how it works. Basically, if you want to use the paddle shifters from 0mph, all you need to do is tap your left paddle...somehow telling the car that you're in control...after that, tap your right paddle to put in on 1st gear...then step on it. If you put in on M and keep pressing the R-PS, it will not do anything really...except for downshifting.
Huh? Is that only on a trifecta tune? Because I can switch it to manual anytime. Even while driving down the highway I can pull the shifter into M and hit either paddle and it goes into manual mode. Of course at speed I usually hit the right paddle so it won't downshift.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Quote:
Really? Is that a trifecta thing? That's weird. I always drive in sport mode but if there's a hill coming up I always hit the right paddle doing 51 and it starts at M6. The objective is gas mileage by forcing the low rpms. Otherwise left in sport on the same hill it'll drop two gears at first, then shift to 5th and stay there. Also when I increase cruise I hit the right paddle. Sport mode is a little to happy when it comes to a 2 mph increase. Then I just hold the right paddle to go back to sport mode.

Edit: the guy above beat me to it. Lol

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
2SSnTEX
2011 2SS L99 Vert.

Drives: 2SS
I've just learned something new. Every time I put car into M, I thought I was seeing a 5 not an S but yes it was and S, cool... I do have a question, when I tap the traction control button twice, on the screen it displays "Stabilitrak Competitive Mode". What exactly does this do or not do?
2SSnTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSnTEX View Post
I've just learned something new. Every time I put car into M, I thought I was seeing a 5 not an S but yes it was and S, cool... I do have a question, when I tap the traction control button twice, on the screen it displays "Stabilitrak Competitive Mode". What exactly does this do or not do?
From your manual:

Competitive Driving Mode
(SS Only)
Competitive Driving Mode allows full engine power while the StabiliTrak system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. In this mode, TCS is off and Launch Control is available. Adjust your driving style to account for the available engine power. See “Launch Control” later in this section. These lights are on when the vehicle is in the Competitive Driving Mode. This optional handling mode can be
selected by pressing the TCS/StabiliTrak button on the console quickly two times. The appropriate message displays in the Driver Information Center (DIC). See Ride Control System Messages on page 5‑38 for more information. When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed again, the TCS and StabiliTrak systems are on. The appropriate message displays briefly in the DIC.

So... putting it simply, it allows you to spin the crap out of the tires and break the rear end loose. And, you don't have Launch Control - only manual tranny SS has it.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
2SSnTEX
2011 2SS L99 Vert.

Drives: 2SS
Thanks PalmerGA. My car is an automatic thou.
2SSnTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #24
delta6
USN-MSC

I'm not sure if this is a trifecta thing because I started fiddling with it after I tuned my car...but if you'll ask me it shouldn't be. I dunno...maybe I should test drive another camaro from the dealership and try it out...

Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #25
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
Huh? Is that only on a trifecta tune? Because I can switch it to manual anytime. Even while driving down the highway I can pull the shifter into M and hit either paddle and it goes into manual mode. Of course at speed I usually hit the right paddle so it won't downshift.

This kinda made me think...it probably didn't wok on mine (R-PS) because I was on 6th gear already..maybe I just didn't notice it...I'll try to give it a spin and see how it goes.