Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Wheel/Tire ?

I am by no means an expert on wheels/tires, every car I've had has kept the stock package so hopefully someone here can help me out. Now I like the stock wheels, but I've got to do something to differentiate my car from the other 999,999 on the road. I plan on getting mine black w/ flat black stripes and black rims. I've been struggling over gloss of flat black wheels because gloss looks great when the tires are freshly arm all'd, but when they go dark grey again it looks like crap. The flat black matches the tire better overall but has less punch... any suggestions on that?

Also, I definitley want to lower the car 1"-2" and get wider wheels/tires or spacers to fill that fender gap. We're getting I think 275's up front and 245's in the rear stock, in your experience how wide to you guys think we can go?

blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
I am by no means an expert on wheels/tires, every car I've had has kept the stock package so hopefully someone here can help me out. Now I like the stock wheels, but I've got to do something to differentiate my car from the other 999,999 on the road. I plan on getting mine black w/ flat black stripes and black rims. I've been struggling over gloss of flat black wheels because gloss looks great when the tires are freshly arm all'd, but when they go dark grey again it looks like crap. The flat black matches the tire better overall but has less punch... any suggestions on that?

Also, I definitley want to lower the car 1"-2" and get wider wheels/tires or spacers to fill that fender gap. We're getting I think 275's up front and 245's in the rear stock, in your experience how wide to you guys think we can go?

Have you thought about black chrome wheels? I have a hard time finding them but they are available. I'm not sure if you'll have much luck finding black wheels that look good with clean tires as well as dirty tires. You might consider using a tire shine that lasts longer than Armor All. Some of the gels last for up to a week and that may be long enough depending on how often you wash your car.

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
ya my brother got black chrome rims for his stang. So I hope Chevy gives us some for the Maro.

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast_ View Post
ya my brother got black chrome rims for his stang. So I hope Chevy gives us some for the Maro.
We're getting Metallic Black 21's as an option, but I want BLACK BLACK. I'm going to get the SS/RS and will take off both of the bowties and paint the CAMARO badges black so that all you see when you look at my car is black with flat black and red accents. I don't want te visual transition from my paint job to my tires to my wheels to be broken up to much by varying shades of black/grey.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
nitrokid

Drives: 69 Camaro RS/Z28
How bout a set of these The original wheel,but with a crome deep-dish.I'd want a set on My camaro,they look better than the "stock" wheels.The pic is from some-one here on the forum(sorry don't recall your name),but when i seen these,I could barely contain myself They are perfect!!!...note to GM designers "make-these-wheels"!and offer an "all-crome" version in 18,19,20 inch,I'd take these over the Foose nitro's BTW i like this Camaro better.
Attached Images

nitrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
I am by no means an expert on wheels/tires, every car I've had has kept the stock package so hopefully someone here can help me out.

its ok...im here.

lets start off with lowering the car to fill the gap. there will be lowering options soon after this car is released. suspension is an easy thing for the aftermarket to work with.

now wider wheels... you say 275s up front and 245s in the rear...where was that said? that makes absolutely no sense at all to have the fronts wider than the rears.

as for how wide we can go, that depends on the wheel you are putting the tire on.

im running 9.5" wide rims on the front of my car and 11.5" wide on the rear with 275 tires on the front and 295s on the back. i was going to run 315s on the rear, however they were too wide and would require me "tubbing" my wheel wells.

but for this car, i would throw a lowering kit on there and some wider rear wheels, but i wouldnt run spacers on them.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its ok...im here.
now wider wheels... you say 275s up front and 245s in the rear...where was that said? that makes absolutely no sense at all to have the fronts wider than the rears.
Sorry, I meant it the other way around. I figured 11's in the back and 9's in the front would give me the look I want, I'm pretty sure those would fit. My real concern is the black finish on the wheels though. I don't want a chrome lip and it's not often you see completely blacked out rims to make judgements by. I saw a benz w/ gloss black a couple of days ago and a 350z w/ flat black deep dish a couple of days ago and both looked good.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrokid View Post
How bout a set of these The original wheel,but with a crome deep-dish.I'd want a set on My camaro,they look better than the "stock" wheels.The pic is from some-one here on the forum(sorry don't recall your name),but when i seen these,I could barely contain myself They are perfect!!!...note to GM designers "make-these-wheels"!and offer an "all-crome" version in 18,19,20 inch,I'd take these over the Foose nitro's BTW i like this Camaro better.
THOSE are nice... just powder coat em black an I'm happy!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Sorry, I meant it the other way around. I figured 11's in the back and 9's in the front would give me the look I want, I'm pretty sure those would fit. My real concern is the black finish on the wheels though. I don't want a chrome lip and it's not often you see completely blacked out rims to make judgements by. I saw a benz w/ gloss black a couple of days ago and a 350z w/ flat black deep dish a couple of days ago and both looked good.

i figured that was what you meant.

ever since i saw these wheels, ive thought about getting some. "but Spike" you say, "those are 8 lug". yes, im aware of that, but you can order them with nearly any bolt pattern. i think they'd look hawt with some drag slicks and skinnies...

i kinda like these... only without the red stripe that is

http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_VO...20RED%20STRIPE

or these... but that chrome lip sticks out and wouldnt stay shiny for long

http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_ZY...52093-02_18_18

same with these...
http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_ZY...52093-02_18_18

or these

http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_AS...52093-02_18_18

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
blackZbandit

Quote:
but for this car, i would throw a lowering kit on there and some wider rear wheels, but i wouldnt run spacers on them.
Any particular reason you're against the spacers? I know they won't look as good as the real thing but if i can get the factory wheels powder coated or painted the way I want and add 2" spacers t may come out alot cheaper.

As far as flat black vs. gloss black... I'm definitely going wit flat black after seeing these pix of a blacked out Challenger... imagine if those tires had some shine on 'em!!

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/vortecchall/
Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
Whats your brand of tire your going to use?

The Department of Redundancy Department
skipj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipj3 View Post
I have absolutley no idea. I've heard good things about BF Goodrich's new tires but I couldn't find the sizes I was looking for. Like I said, I'm half brain-dead when It comes to wheels/tires.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

well not being loaded with cash, i have to shop for price first then performance. that said, when i bought my C5 it had Yoko's on it (i call them Yuko's now). i felt like i was driving on a set of bricks. anyhow, i ended up getting a set of Falken's. the difference was night and day and it only cost me an arm (i got to keep my leg). once the factory tires need replacing i will get another set of Falkens.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Any particular reason you're against the spacers? I know they won't look as good as the real thing but if i can get the factory wheels powder coated or painted the way I want and add 2" spacers t may come out alot cheaper.

As far as flat black vs. gloss black... I'm definitely going wit flat black after seeing these pix of a blacked out Challenger... imagine if those tires had some shine on 'em!!

main reason im against spacers with these larger wheels is that i hate the DONK look, and the mexican 100-spoke wheels sticking 5 feet away from the car look.

if you want to get wider wheels, thats one thing. get wider wheels with different backspacing so the wheel isnt sticking out halfway from the car.

that and the fact that the car is coming with 20's already. thats too large IMO. unsprung weight is killer and by throwing on massive rims, it just adds to that weight that in turn jacks up driveablility, suspension operation, along with the overall traction.

Quote:
I have absolutley no idea. I've heard good things about BF Goodrich's new tires but I couldn't find the sizes I was looking for. Like I said, I'm half brain-dead when It comes to wheels/tires.
what size do you need?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Quote:
main reason im against spacers with these larger wheels is that i hate the DONK look, and the mexican 100-spoke wheels sticking 5 feet away from the car look.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
main reason im against spacers with these larger wheels is that i hate the DONK look...
C'mon, it could be worse. At least we get 20's instead of 30's...

Or we could always go back to this great idea...

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #17
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post

I actually saw something like this driving down the road.. Very scary looking..
Supermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipj3 View Post
Sorry to butt in, but have you looked at the Vredestein line of tires? I went from the Falken FK452 (17") to the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's (275/35 up front and 295/35 out back, 18's) and will never go back to another tire.
Here's the link to the compay pitch on Youtube, try 'em if ya get the chance. I got 18" C6 chrome wheels (18.95 / 18.10.5) and the tires (275/35ZR18 / 295/35ZR18) from AFS wheels on Ebay for $1350.00 mounted, balanced and shipped to my door. ")

dvnt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post

Great stuff, I wonder which of the pickup aftermarket companies will be the first to come out with a lift kit for the new Camaro as their market for trucks shrink.....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Butt in all you want. Knowing that i already like Falken tires, its going to hard to go with another brand.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

i miss seeing the cars up on monster tires. ever since leaving florida you dont see much of that up in SC. heck you barley see monster pickups here!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
blackZbandit

nO nO nO no...no Donk for me, I'm not Trick Daddy! I just want the wheels to sit near flush to the wheel openings and decrease the fender gap like on the concept. Looking at the production photos I figure 21" wheels and a 1" -1.5" drop would do the trick and I could use about 5mm spacers to get the wheels closer to the outer lip of the wheel well... but NOT past it! I'd much rather have the wider meats than spacers but I've got a wife that for some reason would prefer groceries and electricity in our house than having my car look the way I want it to.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #23
Streetrodder

Drives: 2008 Rubicon 1966 Nova,2005 H2
Concept Wheels

Can anyone tell me if the wheels and Tires on the Concept photos will be available on the Z28, or is it to soon to know??
Streetrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #24
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetrodder View Post
Can anyone tell me if the wheels and Tires on the Concept photos will be available on the Z28, or is it to soon to know??
Since no one at this point knows when or if indeed there will be a Z28 model (lots of info both ways, seems likely they are working on something but who knows when or if), too soon to tell.....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #25
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
I am doing black car with flat black stripes with factory 21's and blacked out everything else I possibly can. But you're in CA so we'll never see each other haha.

Anyway I have the factory 21's and they look GOOD, but when they put them on they didn't shine the tires like they did when I got my RS rims with initial purchase.

So anyway, I shined them up really good when I got home and they are bad ass!!!

I just plan on keeping them clean. It's the only way. In my opinion you don't want to plan for how your car will look once your tires look like crap just keep them babies shining and keep turning heads!!!

Cragar makes some nice black wheels but none for the Camaro yet.

JMO

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose and post pics when you get your car like you want it!

kellertxgen5 is offline   Reply With Quote