Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Seriously, when to change oil?

First oil change?

Did a search, and couldn't find anything really.

Manual says change it when the car tells you too.
Dealer says change it at 6K.
I'm at 2K.

When should it really be changed? Did the rear diff and it was silver! I'm guessing that with mobile 1 in the motor that it will not break in as fast as dyno oil. So, would 5K be good? Thanks,

EDIT: After reading for the last hour, there are as many oppinions on when to change it and what to change it with as there are folks on this earth. Guess I will pull from my experiance and go from there. Thanks for the help guys.

Mav

Last edited by MadMav; 12-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.
MadMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
surfgun

Drives: 2010 SS, 2002 Z/28
Go ahead and get that fist oil filter off. It has stuff in it.
surfgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Yeah i'd change it now for sure... I noticed at my 500 mile change it was pretty dirty and had very minimal metal in it.

I changed mine at 500 miles, 1,000 miles and next will be at 6-7k miles
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
quick quick do it now!!! NOW!!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
early and often for break in
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa, MSD Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, DSS 1000hp ds & 1400hp axles, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Powerhaus Performance tuned.
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
CAM MAN

Drives: ALL 5 GEN CAMAROS
I did mine at 1500 .
CAM MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
i would say change at 4k. the oil is supposed to help the rings sit, but after 4,000 go ahead and put some super nice synthetic in.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
MadMav

I'm not sure why everyone changes it that early. Can someone give me some solid reason/evidence? Even using dyno oil, most manufactures recommend 3-5K. And my filthy dirty soot catching Cummins was changed at 7500. And to those that say they found metal in the filters. Isn't that what it's for? As long as your oil looks clean, and isn't too old, I can't see the reason of changing that early.

Anyone? I'm not stiring the pot, just really curious.

Mav

Last edited by MadMav; 12-02-2009 at 08:29 PM.
MadMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
i changed it @ 1500 then at 3000 and again today at around 6700.
i Would change it soon to clean out the engine. Chevy uses mobile 1 sync. oil so after the 1st oil flush i would change it between 3 to 5k miles.
joey
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMav View Post
I'm not sure why everyone changes it that early. Can someone give me some solid reason/evidence? Even using dyno oil, most manufactures recommend 3-5K. And my filthy dirty soot catching Cummins was changed at 7500. And to those that say they found metal in the filters. Isn't that what it's for? As long as your oil looks clean, and isn't too old, I can't see the reason of changing that early.

Anyone? I'm not stiring the pot, just really curious.

Mav
It's been gone over before. Search for it in the break-in section.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPowered View Post
i would say change at 4k. the oil is supposed to help the rings sit, but after 4,000 go ahead and put some super nice synthetic in.
It comes with Mobil 1 synthetic from the factory.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
MadMav

Chappy, I did a search, and couldn't find anything of serious value. I will try again though.

Mav
Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
This should be a Sticky.........every month we see the same rationals for not following the owners manual.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
2,000 miles for piece of mind. You spent good money on the new car, an early oil change cannot hurt. I did mine at 2300 miles

J
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
MadMav

Guys, we can put this post to rest. I have edited my original post.

There are just to many oppions on this to lead me in any direction, and there is very little factual proof to point in any direction either.

Thanks,
Mav
Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Guys, we can put this post to rest. I have edited my original post.

There are just to many oppions on this to lead me in any direction, and there is very little factual proof to point in any direction either.

Thanks,
Mav
I say change it early the first time, then do as the car tells you after that. There is likely to be more stuff in that first batch of oil than in any others afterward. Besides, how much does ~9 quarts of oil (and a new filter) cost anyway?

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I changed mine at 60 miles, 600 miles, and 1,700 miles. Here's why:

The greatest amount of particles that are going to be found in the engine happen in the first 50 miles due to whatever "stuff" might have been left in the engine during assembly and the high amount of wear-in/ring seating that takes place at that time. The cylinder walls are cross-hatched honed to make them function like a file so the rings will literally wear themselves down against that surface which also wears down to "seat" or seal the rings against the cylinder walls.

All the leftovers from assembly plus the particles worn off the rings are in your oil. The filter catches most of it but any silicone or items from assembly will also get in there and have the possibility of clogging the filter which goes into bypass mode allowing the oil to circulate as-is. Whatever metal particles are in your oil are splashing over all the moving components. Replacing the oil and filter in the first 50 miles or so clears all that out and gives you a clean filter to catch the next wave which happens in the first 500 miles or so. I switched to non-synthetic at 60 miles because synthetic does too good a job at protecting the cylinder walls and I wanted mine to seat correctly.

I changed it with non-synthetic again at 600 miles for the same reasons as above; to remove the wear-in particles from breaking it in. At 1,700 miles I changed it again except this time I put synthetic; I used Royal Purple because it's my preference but you'll always find the Amsoil distributer chiming in whenever you mention RP and the guys who righteously post about how "the owner's manual says..." and how they've never had a problem in 50 years of driving. That's fine; use whatever oil you prefer. Mobil 1 is great stuff, I just prefer Royal Purple.

I also changed the transmission and differential fluids at the 1,700 mile mark. Same reasons; clearing out stuff left over from the assembly line and initial wear-in. When you see what the fluid looks like as you drain it; especially the differential, you'll be glad you changed it. Once again I used Royal Purple fluids because I've had great results with their products for years; use whatever you prefer.

My car now runs smoothly and quietly and just glides along compared to when it was brand new. The main value in doing changes like these outlined above is to remove the bulk of the wear-in material and whatever might have been left over from assembly. I spent less than $100 on the first 2 changes which to me is no big deal when taking care of a $35,000 car. I spent less than $200 on the 3rd change which included engine, filter, trans and diff plus labor. Again no biggie to me considering what I'm protecting. My car is now set for it's life and I plan on keeping this one.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #18
jwjk

Drives: Ordered 2SS/RS - Nov. 14/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I changed mine at 60 miles, 600 miles, and 1,700 miles. Here's why:

The greatest amount of particles that are going to be found in the engine happen in the first 50 miles due to whatever "stuff" might have been left in the engine during assembly and the high amount of wear-in/ring seating that takes place at that time. The cylinder walls are cross-hatched honed to make them function like a file so the rings will literally wear themselves down against that surface which also wears down to "seat" or seal the rings against the cylinder walls.

All the leftovers from assembly plus the particles worn off the rings are in your oil. The filter catches most of it but any silicone or items from assembly will also get in there and have the possibility of clogging the filter which goes into bypass mode allowing the oil to circulate as-is. Whatever metal particles are in your oil are splashing over all the moving components. Replacing the oil and filter in the first 50 miles or so clears all that out and gives you a clean filter to catch the next wave which happens in the first 500 miles or so. I switched to non-synthetic at 60 miles because synthetic does too good a job at protecting the cylinder walls and I wanted mine to seat correctly.

I changed it with non-synthetic again at 600 miles for the same reasons as above; to remove the wear-in particles from breaking it in. At 1,700 miles I changed it again except this time I put synthetic; I used Royal Purple because it's my preference but you'll always find the Amsoil distributer chiming in whenever you mention RP and the guys who righteously post about how "the owner's manual says..." and how they've never had a problem in 50 years of driving. That's fine; use whatever oil you prefer. Mobil 1 is great stuff, I just prefer Royal Purple.

I also changed the transmission and differential fluids at the 1,700 mile mark. Same reasons; clearing out stuff left over from the assembly line and initial wear-in. When you see what the fluid looks like as you drain it; especially the differential, you'll be glad you changed it. Once again I used Royal Purple fluids because I've had great results with their products for years; use whatever you prefer.

My car now runs smoothly and quietly and just glides along compared to when it was brand new. The main value in doing changes like these outlined above is to remove the bulk of the wear-in material and whatever might have been left over from assembly. I spent less than $100 on the first 2 changes which to me is no big deal when taking care of a $35,000 car. I spent less than $200 on the 3rd change which included engine, filter, trans and diff plus labor. Again no biggie to me considering what I'm protecting. My car is now set for it's life and I plan on keeping this one.
When mine comes in, this is EXACTLY how I'll be handling it. Nice post, Doc. Informative, precise, and descriptive. Just how we like it.

Jason
jwjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I'm bad. I have 4000 and still haven't changed the oil.

The manual and the dealer both said do it when the car tells me to. Which according to the onstar email that will be at about 10,000 miles.

From my understanding 10,000 miles or once a year is what Europe has been doing for years. A lot of the oil change intervals were set by the oil companies.

I seriously doubt I will lose my warranty or anything as I followed the regular maintenance interval.

That being said, if it gives you piece of mind to change it sooner than do it.

I'll probably get my first change in the spring, before I hit 10,000 miles.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
USIRON

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS & 2014 Mustang GT 5.0
As my dealer is providing my first two changes I changed oil at 3000 mi as per my dealer recommendation. Oil was visably as clean as when installed with no metal residue detected. Next change will be as per Chevy guide lines.
USIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #21
SilverIce1
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Automatic
My opinion: No less than required to maintain your warranty. No more often than you can afford to spend money on oil and filters.

If you keep your car for 200,000 miles, and the engine should reasonably last that long, you need to execute at least 40 oil/filter changes with Mobile 1 full synthetic if you run 5,000 mile intervals. At $90 and oil change, you will invest $3,600 over that mileage to maintain your engine. Beyond that you need to estimate how much more you want to spend for a somewhat diminishing return. How many more miles will the engine last and compare that to the cost of each additional change, or will you be better off replacing the engine block? Cost - Benefit analysis. I'd contend that a few extra changes in the early miles posses the most significant possibly of extending the life of your engine - thus if there is a time to exceed the factory recommendations, it is early and often.
SilverIce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #22
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Just do it! You'll get rid of the break-in stuff and run clean new stuff I also, like Doc, did my diff and tranny fluid! Easy changes. Many threads abound with torque values, amounts, and how to's
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Do it now
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
Cmaro214

Drives: 2010 ABM 1LT/RS Camaro "Blu Bruzr"
Quote:
First oil change?

Did a search, and couldn't find anything really.

Manual says change it when the car tells you too.
Dealer says change it at 6K.
I'm at 2K.

When should it really be changed? Did the rear diff and it was silver! I'm guessing that with mobile 1 in the motor that it will not break in as fast as dyno oil. So, would 5K be good? Thanks,

EDIT: After reading for the last hour, there are as many oppinions on when to change it and what to change it with as there are folks on this earth. Guess I will pull from my experiance and go from there. Thanks for the help guys.

Mav
i changed the oil on my malibu for the last 4 years at the 2000-3000 mile mark and i plan on doing it at 2000 everytime since i got the maintence warranty im sure as hell gonna take advantage of those "free" oil changes. and they will surely tell me no you dont need a change for another 4000 miles but ill tell them, i change at 2k and no more.

VIN: 2G1FB1EV6A9178865
Cmaro214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #25
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
MadMav,
You are right, there are many different opinions out there. You may want to check out Darrin Mogan's advice in the break in section. He is a HP engine builder with lots of experience. His post is on this same page.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote