Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Build your own Camaro!

There has been alot of people on here discussing and cussing specific design elements that they would change on the Camaro.. GM parts direct now sells a "Body In White" a body shell of the 2010 Camaro for only $7,995.00 That way you can build it the way you want. keeping the bodyshape of the 2010 Camaro..
Don't like the interior...Design your own..
Don't like the suspension... Design your own..
Don't like the drivetrain...Design your own.. ETC...

Now you don't have any excuses, If you think you can build a better Camaro, now's your chance!.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19243374

Quote:
DESCRIPTION: 2010 Camaro Racing Body

2010 Body In White (BIW) Camaro

Purchase only with cashiers check or money order. No credit cards or PayPal payments excepted for this part number 19243374.

Includes - 2010 Camaro Sheet metal only (as shown in the picture).

General Information

·Will be sold as an empty shell for racing purposes only

·Will not have a VIN and should never be sold for street use

·Includes door shells, front and rear deck lid, fenders, Etc.

·Bodies are blemished and should not be expected to arrive in production condition.

·Bodies are not actually white but may arrive in any production color or mix of colors. Choice of color is not an option.

·Bodies will arrive on a wooden pallet.

·Bodies are NOT returnable and will arrive as is, with no warranty

·Bodies may have imperfections
(these bodies are meant for racing applications)

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 07-28-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
lol if i could get away with getting one body in white but in IOM of course without having to race it, i wouldve dropped an LS7 and went the whole 9 yeards on the car!
Wouldve been a monter by the time i hit the budget!
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
lol if i could get away with getting one body in white but in IOM of course without having to race it, i wouldve dropped an LS7 and went the whole 9 yeards on the car!
Wouldve been a monter by the time i hit the budget!
well you could always buy a totaled out Camaro, and swap as much as you could out of it into the new body, cut and weld in the existing Vin Number plate from the wrecked Camaro on the cowl.. and regester it as a salvaged vehicle... couldn't that work? Basically that is what you would have...
I wonder if that would be legal?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
well you could always buy a totaled out Camaro, and swap as much as you could out of it into the new body, cut and weld in the existing Vin Number plate from the wrecked Camaro on the cowl.. and regester it as a salvaged vehicle... couldn't that work? Basically that is what you would have...
I wonder if that would be legal?
Not. Cars on the market today have to go through rigorous saftey testing. This is the major reason why we cant just 'build' our own homemade cars as an alternative to buying them. Whatever dept. in the US that tests crash safety on a car requires not just 1 car but several to perform crash testing to rate the car street safe/legal. If you can build a car yourself, great, got 10 more the government can use to test and render it legal? Good luck.

Taking a VIN from one car and putting it on another is a good way to land yourself in prison.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
cyberbro

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Not. Cars on the market today have to go through rigorous saftey testing. This is the major reason why we cant just 'build' our own homemade cars as an alternative to buying them. Whatever dept. in the US that tests crash safety on a car requires not just 1 car but several to perform crash testing to rate the car street safe/legal. If you can build a car yourself, great, got 10 more the government can use to test and render it legal? Good luck.

Taking a VIN from one car and putting it on another is a good way to land yourself in prison.
The laws you are talking about are for mass production, in most states you can build your own car with far less rules. How do you think they make a kit car, most of them are not safety tested or make a car out of a 1933 2 seater bucket w/ a 700 hp engine?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post

I bet there is a legal loophole that would allow for this situation, especially if you titled it as a salvaged vehicle.. which basically it would be if you used the origonal drivetrain.

These bodies are Production bodies, they just have cosmetic defects that would cost too much to repair so instead of that they sell them to racers to build race cars out of since most will cut them up anyway...

How do you think people get tags on home made Dune Buggies?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
jputer

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS Summit White A6
When you buy that "body in white" you are entering into a "contract" with GM that you will NEVER put it on the public roads. I don't know what they will do about it if you violate the contract, but it could be expensive.

Probably cheaper to just buy an LS to drop your LS9 into. You're going to have to build a custom drivetrain anyway...
Old 03-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Jer4251
Camaro Addict

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2008 TBSS, 1990 IROC-Z
i dont think they would ever find out if you did a complete swap with one.
2014 Sierra Denali
Jer4251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
that is a lot of building for me, just to get the passenger seat to raise up a little. I do have a nice hammer, some pliers and wire cutters, what else is needed to build this thing? Or do I just need to buy one of those robots from the plant?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Deebo
2SS/1LE GAZ 1 of 221

Drives: 2013 1LE
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
kevin1

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
EBAY man EBAY damn near the whole car in pieces from wrecked cars
kevin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
HMMMMM...

BRING BACK IROC!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, family truckster
Not for legal street use!

Felony to change VINs, I believe. The VIN is stamped or marked in almost every stitch of these cars. You would get busted sooner or later. Like the earlier post said. Prison would be the end result if you ever got caught doing that.

Not sure how GM polices these cars when they are gone but you gotta wonder if there is a list submitted to government to keep anyone from trying to register them as a home-built custom or hobby car to get a legal special contruction VIN where states allow that?

Not worth the effort, IMHO.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Too bad you can't use it on the streets..