Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
drummerstevey
 
drummerstevey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 VW GTI
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sayreville, New Jersey
Posts: 88
FlexFuel/E85

was there anything said about the camaro being a flex fuel car. i dont have it yet in my area but it would still be nice to have the option
__________________

Good things are worth waiting for...
drummerstevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,322
Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that E85/flex fuel wasn't going to be available. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5077

I hope that changes because I want the option also.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
jmliptak
 
Drives: D
Join Date: May 2008
Location: D
Posts: 373
I believe Mindz or Scotty said from the IDL that there was no flexfuel "for now"
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
I go back to my comment on a previous thread... what is the appeal of E85? If you are a die-hard supporter of our dependence from foreign oil, then I completely understand, but otherwise it is not a good alternative to gasoline. It is amazing to see the media machine at work with the marketing on E85.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm all for because I think it can help us get us off of foriegn oil, and eventually get off of oil altogether. The 'clean' element is just a cherry on top, I guess.

AND, it's cheaper most of the time. Certainly cheap enough to reduce fuel costs dispite the mileage decrease. And if gasoline continues to go up, it will only make more sense on that front.

EDIT: I'm ONLY for non-corn sources of ethanol. Corn ethanol has outlived its usefulness, imho.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,194
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm all for because I think it can help us get us off of foriegn oil, and eventually get off of oil altogether. The 'clean' element is just a cherry on top, I guess.

AND, it's cheaper most of the time. Certainly cheap enough to reduce fuel costs dispite the mileage decrease. And if gasoline continues to go up, it will only make more sense on that front.

EDIT: I'm ONLY for non-corn sources of ethanol. Corn ethanol has outlived its usefulness, imho.
I'm a big fan of ethanol as a cheaper form of fuel. Cleaner burning cars is a definite bonus, although someone is sure to remind us of the pollution caused by refining ethanol. I would absolutely buy a Camaro with E85 over one without, even if it violates my $30k budget.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,298
I'd pick one up if I could. But, don't think it's going to happen this time.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
jmliptak
 
Drives: D
Join Date: May 2008
Location: D
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I'd pick one up if I could. But, don't think it's going to happen this time.
I agree, from a strictly financial viewpoint it may not always make sense, but being able to pay a couple of hundred bucks and have the internals upgraded to handle the ethanol would be worth it to me.

I like the idea of being able to put a tank of ethanol in, getting a higher octane rating, and using a lot less gasoline. I know the FUEL mileage is lower due to the lower energy content, but the GAS mileage is dramatically higher (the E85 fuel is 15% gasoline). In essense, for each tank of gas your are using only 2.85 gallons of GASOLINE. Even at the lower FUEL mileage your GAS mileage is very good. Your GAS mileage would be around 115 mpg on the highway.

Here is what I did to get that, and I will mention up front that I am not a mathematician.

19 gallons in the tank X 17.25 mpg (75% of the 23 highway rating) = 327.75 miles
Gas used = 19 X 15% = 2.85 gallons
Mileage = 327.75 / 2.85 = 115

Iff Ed Beckley can have his electric cars and pay big bucks to make his point, I can have my muscle car that runs on alcohol and is in that sense environmentally friendly and reduces dependence on oil, even if it costs a little more to run and a few hundred bucks more to build. I would have no problem with making it an option. But I don't think it was a coincidence that this years Indy pace car was a Z06 that ran on E85. The reply to the question about E85 at the IDL was reportedly "not at this time".

So its not all about saving money, but I would love to do that too. Not too long ago here ethanol was $3.50 and Premium was $4.20. Today regular is down to $3.69.

I agree with Tag and others that corn is not likely to be the long term solution. Other ways will be found and are already in the works. Trading food for fuel is not a good long term solution.

It would be fun to have a car that uses less GASOLINE per tank than some guy putting regular unleaded in his hybrid. It may not be cheaper, but I would love to be able to make the point. There is no better way to make your point than with FACTS on how much GASOLINE your Camaro uses.
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
Casull

 
Casull's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Here is what I did to get that, and I will mention up front that I am not a mathematician.

19 gallons in the tank X 17.25 mpg (75% of the 23 highway rating) = 327.75 miles
Gas used = 19 X 15% = 2.85 gallons
Mileage = 327.75 / 2.85 = 115

It would be fun to have a car that uses less GASOLINE per tank than some guy putting regular unleaded in his hybrid. It may not be cheaper, but I would love to be able to make the point. There is no better way to make your point than with FACTS on how much GASOLINE your Camaro uses.
That is a very interesting perspective. I must admit, I have never thought of it like this. Kind of cool when you think about it. Although your DPM (Dollars per mile) are still significantly higher than with Regular Unleaded it is at least another way to begin to move away from foreign dependence on oil.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
jmliptak
 
Drives: D
Join Date: May 2008
Location: D
Posts: 373
I would love to look Ed Begley in the eye and say my Camaro uses less gas than his Prius per tank...And oh by the way, E85 has lower greenhouse emissions as well....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Drives: nothing now
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MO
Posts: 200
Ferrari has proven that an E85 dedicated engine has more power and better fuel economy than a car tuned specifically for premium unleaded gas. There is no down side. We just have to give it time.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,983
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm all for because I think it can help us get us off of foriegn oil, and eventually get off of oil altogether. The 'clean' element is just a cherry on top, I guess.

AND, it's cheaper most of the time. Certainly cheap enough to reduce fuel costs dispite the mileage decrease. And if gasoline continues to go up, it will only make more sense on that front.

EDIT: I'm ONLY for non-corn sources of ethanol. Corn ethanol has outlived its usefulness, imho.

figured you would say that before I got the chance cough *post whore* cough

I want to see alternatives to food based ethanol not because I think it contributes to higher food prices, but because too many others do think that. That and crops can't meet any sort of reasonable demand. but microbes, switchgrass, garbage, etc, thats where the future of ethanol fuel lies.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
jmliptak
 
Drives: D
Join Date: May 2008
Location: D
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

figured you would say that before I got the chance cough *post whore* cough

I want to see alternatives to food based ethanol not because I think it contributes to higher food prices, but because too many others do think that. That and crops can't meet any sort of reasonable demand. but microbes, switchgrass, garbage, etc, thats where the future of ethanol fuel lies.

jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
EZ28
 
EZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: Hopefully a Camaro soon! ;-)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas!
Posts: 67
My first post on on Camaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

figured you would say that before I got the chance cough *post whore* cough

I want to see alternatives to food based ethanol not because I think it contributes to higher food prices, but because too many others do think that. That and crops can't meet any sort of reasonable demand. but microbes, switchgrass, garbage, etc, thats where the future of ethanol fuel lies.
I hope Chevy does make the Camaro with the E85 option. A lot of racing leagues are switching to Ethanol because of the enviromental, energy independence, and performance benefits. My whole mindset is I want to have my high performance V8 and not have to worry about a shortage of oil. Do you know what I mean?

"Ethanol: A positive energy balance.

It takes less than 35,000 BTUs of energy to turn corn into ethanol. The ethanol created offers at least 77,000 BTUs of energy - meaning that ethanol yields more energy than it takes to produce."
http://www.drivingethanol.org/motors...ragracing.aspx

Alternatives to corn based ethanol are coming. Refining garbage waste into ethanol has to be the best idea ever. Here's a company that's already invested $120 million in it. To cut costs they built their factory near a landfill.
http://www.greentechmedia.com/articl...sure-1147.html

I owned a Blue Green Chameleon '98 Firebird Formula LS1 V8. I wish I still had that car because it was nice looking and fun to drive. I can't wait for the new Camaro. I want one and hope that they offer an E85 engine.
EZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon
 
AZCamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 17,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ferrari has proven that an E85 dedicated engine has more power and better fuel economy than a car tuned specifically for premium unleaded gas. There is no down side. We just have to give it time.
Really? i thought ethanol got lower mpg.
I wished we'd buy up a bunch of little islands nobody is using and grow sugar cane to make ethanol, like the Brazilians.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.