Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

View Poll Results: Debadge the hood?
Yes 60 92.31%
No 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
De-badge ZL1 hood on an SS or not

Alright, serious question. I have a 14 SS and added a ZL1 hood on it and I'm wondering what others think on whether the ZL1 emblems should be removed or left on the hood. (If they stay on the hood they will be Plastidipped black since that's how my other emblems are.)

Here are my thoughts. I want to keep the ZL1 emblems on the hood because it's an OEM hood and if I ever decide to resell it, I'd like them to be on it.

I want to remove them because I don't want people mistaking my SS for a ZL1. (this has already happened twice.)

I understand that ultimately it's my car and it's my decision, I'm just interested in the insight or perspective of others as it will allow me to make a better informed decision.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I say swap it, do you really think you'll sell the hood anytime soon? Could always get it put back on?

Is the other black badging SS? Since if you left it then it would be ZL1 and SS which could be pretty weird.

All my opinion
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Taco Time

The car.
Another factor that contributes to the car being mistaken is the ZL1 repop wheels. (they're being removed in Jan for other reasons though.)
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Taco Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
I say swap it, do you really think you'll sell the hood anytime soon? Could always get it put back on?

Is the other black badging SS? Since if you left it then it would be ZL1 and SS which could be pretty weird.

All my opinion
I have no intentions of selling the ZL1 hood anytime soon, but you never know what the future will bring. Yes other badging is the factory badging. See below. I was thinking plastidipping the ZL1 black so it'd be less noticeable to other people. Here's the rear.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
You can take them off without hurting them, so I would probably pull them off and keep them around in case you sell it.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Definitely debadge. You will get F'ed with if you are sporting ZL1 badging on an SS. Peeps will call you a poser.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
take off and save
Old 11-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Definitely take the badges off.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
TommyTheCat
SLWMARO

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I wouldn't keep the badge on a non ZL1.
On another note, do your cowl lines match up?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
do what you like. Screw with them all. Put Z/28 on one side of hood, ZL1 on the other side of hood. Red "SS" on the trunk, and a white "SS" on the grill. and on each side fender, put "1LE". Scare them all when you line up is what I say, it's your car, enjoy it the way that excites you the most.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Paratrooper

Drives: 2 sad communter cars.
Voted no, as in no don't keep a ZL1 badge on an SS. Didn't read the question carefully.
Paratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Taco Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I wouldn't keep the badge on a non ZL1.
On another note, do your cowl lines match up?
No they do not. However, you have to walk right up to the car to see that they're off. Most people don't notice it. (I'm sure the only people who do are Camaro owners.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
do what you like. Screw with them all. Put Z/28 on one side of hood, ZL1 on the other side of hood. Red "SS" on the trunk, and a white "SS" on the grill. and on each side fender, put "1LE". Scare them all when you line up is what I say, it's your car, enjoy it the way that excites you the most.
I'm kind of excited to see my car in Jan; then it'll be an SS with a ZL1 hood and Z28 (reproduction) wheels. It's gonna be a mutt. LOL.
I just need to figure out what kind of spoiler to add...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
Voted no, as in no don't keep a ZL1 badge on an SS. Didn't read the question carefully.
This is why we can't have nice things. Screwin up my poll. Now I gotta make a new one. LOL No worries.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
masterguns95 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
do what YOU want. grow stones. If it is the look you want. all the folks who would tell you what to do didn't pay for the hood. Again, it is yours.
masterguns95 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Hood looks good. The ribbing would bother me if I was called a poser and guys wanting to race thinking I have a SC engine. I love the look so why get some custom SS bages for the hood where the ZL1 emblems were? That hood changes the entire look of the car and is mean as it comes down the street. Smoe custome SS slanted to look like its accelerating would be cool.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #15
Taco Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguns95 1LE View Post
do what YOU want. grow stones. If it is the look you want. all the folks who would tell you what to do didn't pay for the hood. Again, it is yours.
Maybe actually read my original post. I can assure you my question has NOTHING to do with "growing stones," I am simply interested in the perspective of others. Sometimes other people have good ideas. (See below. Something I hadn't considered yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Hood looks good. The ribbing would bother me if I was called a poser and guys wanting to race thinking I have a SC engine. I love the look so why get some custom SS bages for the hood where the ZL1 emblems were? That hood changes the entire look of the car and is mean as it comes down the street. Smoe custome SS slanted to look like its accelerating would be cool.
Behind my back maybe, but most wouldn't say a word about being a "poser" to my face... Not worried about that one.
However the racing aspect would be of concern to me, but I've only raced twice since I've owned the car, so it's not something that's going to happen frequently.

Now that's an idea I like. I think I'll browse a little at Emblem Pros. (I think that's their name.)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #16
masterguns95 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Taco Time, been thinking for about an hour and have written several responses and deleted them. first, I wasn't trying to offend you. Your ride looks great. Obviously you have made good decisions. I don't think I would rely on anyone else's opinion in your situation. I did read your post. Several times.
masterguns95 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
And if you don't see anything on emblem pros site, contact them if you have an idea and they will design it for you. They were real quick to design something I was interested in but I have yet to pull the trigger on it because of the stupid holes in my trunk under my current emblem.
Cold Air Inductions CAI • SP LT Headers with cats • Lethal Dyno Tune (383 rwhp) • Magnaflow mufflers with quad tips • CFD polished strut covers • Spoiler 5 by Carbon by Design • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • ZL1 rockers & diffuser • Drake Shifter • 69 SS Emblems • Tinted windows, markers, & tail lights • Black tail light bezels • FR Style 41 silver machine 20x9 & 20x10 wheels
justjoshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #18
Taco Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguns95 1LE View Post
Taco Time, been thinking for about an hour and have written several responses and deleted them. first, I wasn't trying to offend you. Your ride looks great. Obviously you have made good decisions. I don't think I would rely on anyone else's opinion in your situation. I did read your post. Several times.
You're fine, no worries. I'm not going to rely on other people, but I'm very often interested in their opinions (learn from their mistakes instead of making them myself). I try to keep my car classy (no tacky mods...) and I try to do a mod one time. So I look for feedback from other, or look at what they've done to get ideas for what I want to do. I only want to do it once and I want it to be right. Now that's usually not what happens, but we won't get into that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
And if you don't see anything on emblem pros site, contact them if you have an idea and they will design it for you. They were real quick to design something I was interested in but I have yet to pull the trigger on it because of the stupid holes in my trunk under my current emblem.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
If its not a ZL1 then definitely debadge the hood. I thought the new 'SS hood looked good; I'm surprised that you swapped it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I think I would just take them off and keep them in the glovebox. Can always put them back. That hood looks insane and I love it
Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #21
Taco Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
If its not a ZL1 then definitely debadge the hood. I thought the new 'SS hood looked good; I'm surprised that you swapped it.
I thought my SS hood looked good too. Then I saw the ZL1 hood. I like aggressive looking hoods.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It irks me when I see badges on cars that aren't supposed to be there... sounds like the Mustang kiddies who add a cobra badge to their car and make people think it's actually a GT500, or a "GT Turbo" badge.

Not to mention, it's going to look weird having a ZL1 badge on the hood, with SS badges on the front and back...
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #23
TommyTheCat
SLWMARO

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I've seen an old v6 mustang with both GT500 and GT350 badges on it
Old 11-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Taco Time

Well I took everyone's advice and I ordered more ZL1 badges for my car so they'll match the hood!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #25
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
Well I took everyone's advice and I ordered more ZL1 badges for my car so they'll match the hood!
Cold Air Inductions CAI • SP LT Headers with cats • Lethal Dyno Tune (383 rwhp) • Magnaflow mufflers with quad tips • CFD polished strut covers • Spoiler 5 by Carbon by Design • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • ZL1 rockers & diffuser • Drake Shifter • 69 SS Emblems • Tinted windows, markers, & tail lights • Black tail light bezels • FR Style 41 silver machine 20x9 & 20x10 wheels
justjoshin is online now   Reply With Quote