Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Gbusy06
Tap Out

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS A6 SGM
Best Converter with Spray?

Anyone running No2 and a converter? I have a 3200 and may have too much stall for Nitr. Before I switch to a 2600 I would like some feedback on Nitros and difference stall combinations for the best result. Thanks for your feedback.
Gbusy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Did you try it with the 3200 yet?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Gbusy06
Tap Out

No, did not. I see you have a 2600. I spoke with some guy at the track and he recommended a smaller converter. I dont want to hurt the car, so I thought I would get some feedback here.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Gbusy06 - you got a FTI converter right? I'm sure FTI will adjust your stall speed. You could send it in to them and they will drop it down to a 2800 or so.

The reason I say that is from what I've experience when you add power to a stall the stall speed moves up. So your 3200 (setup for just bolt ons) might become a 3800 when using Nitrous.

I've got an FTI SRL 3200 stall. I got mine directly from FTI. I've had my stall on my car for about 2 weeks. I also have ADM's tranny cooler.

I can understand your concerns. My car has absolutely no traction on the street. That's with Nitto 555R 305/35/20 drag radials. It's ridiculous. I haven't been able to track test it, because the track in my area has been having big events every weekend. My first chance to go to the track won't be until the very end of the month or next month (weather permitting). By then it will probably be 90 degrees in S.W. Florida

So I've been having second thoughts about going with a 3200 (FTI's 3200 because its so darn good -feels like my car is supercharged). I think a 2800 might have been better for a street car. My FTI 3200 hits so hard it just roast the tires from any speed under 25 mph. From a dig, its impossible to get traction (nothing but massive wheel spin) when going wide open. I have to baby if off the line on the street. As soon as I go wide open, the tires just light up.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
I'll be trying it out soon with my 3200 stall. NOS was in the plan when I added the TC and my tuner highly suggested at least this stall. I also roast my tires on the line now, but hoped the DRs I'm putting on this weekend would fix that. Maybe not..

Hopefully I'll get some runs in tomorrow, if it doesn't rain out because Monday I'm adding new heads, cam and spray.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Gbusy06
Tap Out

SGO, I do have the FTI. I ran car with stock tires and with 12.12 at 113 and change. It was like rolling over ice from the dig. Put nittos on and now I have to have tranny tuned. So, before I have car retuned for converter/tires/nitros, I rather do all at one time. I still have the AFM on and it is driving me crazy with the addition of Magna 16483. I am leaning towards a 2600 restall, which should give me the best of both worlds. Note, I cut a 1.67 60ft with 3200 and nitto DRs on stock wheels. So the 3200 works at the track.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'll be trying it out soon with my 3200 stall. NOS was in the plan when I added the TC and my tuner highly suggested at least this stall. I also roast my tires on the line now, but hoped the DRs I'm putting on this weekend would fix that. Maybe not..

Hopefully I'll get some runs in tomorrow, if it doesn't rain out because Monday I'm adding new heads, cam and spray.

Maybe some fresh DR's will help. Mine are pretty worn down (I got them during the summer and I've been to the track several times).
As mentioned, on the street my car is worthless. Even after my DR's are warmed up, I still can't get any traction from a dig. I wish I could go to the track to see If I could hook up there , but the track has a bunch of big events coming up.
I know if I can get my car to hook it will haul axx. But I feel getting it to hook is going to be a major issue.

BTW - good luck if you get a chance to hit the track.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Maybe some fresh DR's will help. Mine are pretty worn down (I got them during the summer and I've been to the track several times).
As mentioned, on the street my car is worthless. Even after my DR's are warmed up, I still can't get any traction from a dig. I wish I could go to the track to see If I could hook up there , but the track has a bunch of big events coming up.
I know if I can get my car to hook it will haul axx. But I feel getting it to hook is going to be a major issue.

BTW - good luck if you get a chance to hit the track.
I thought the more worn down (slick) the better they got. I was on 22's last time at the track. I vowed to never do that again. We have some big events going on here too (tonight in fact) but there are 3 tracks so if it rains out tomorrow I'll try the 1/8 mile track on Sunday.

I also want to try a launch w/ traction control on and see if that helps.. It definitely takes some practice..
Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Duke

Drives: Red SS/RS
Mike,

I have started researching converters and I have emailed Chris at Circle D. I now have the headers and CAI, so basically the same as you today. I was wondering if you had to do it again, would you go with a lower stall?

Hopefully, the track doesn't cancel tomorrow.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I am about to have a cam added to my maggie car at livernois. They are putting a 2400 stall in mine. I think most any stall is going to be impossible on the street but hey the maggie itself is impossible and the cam will just at to it. LOL I dont even go to the track but it sure as hell is fun having that much power on the street. Feather the throttle load up with trunk with some groceries and full tank of gas and hang on lol.

I do have a question for ya SGOS252382 I know you said your car is worthless on the street even with 555r's from a dig but what about once your going and punch it or if you are at 50 and punch it do you still loose complete traction or will that car haul ass?
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Nitto 555R@25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Mike,

I have started researching converters and I have emailed Chris at Circle D. I now have the headers and CAI, so basically the same as you today. I was wondering if you had to do it again, would you go with a lower stall?

I'm very happy with mine as is, but my plans were always to have a big cam. Unless you plan on pulling heads to change lifters and cam your beast, I would do a 2600 - 2800 stall. Circle D is local and will re-stall it for free if you ever want to go higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
I do have a question for ya SGOS252382 I know you said your car is worthless on the street even with 555r's from a dig but what about once your going and punch it or if you are at 50 and punch it do you still loose complete traction or will that car haul ass?
Mine hauls ass... you're pretty much at lock up speeds so it drives just like stock.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #12
SGOS252382

Quote:
I am about to have a cam added to my maggie car at livernois. They are putting a 2400 stall in mine. I think most any stall is going to be impossible on the street but hey the maggie itself is impossible and the cam will just at to it. LOL I dont even go to the track but it sure as hell is fun having that much power on the street. Feather the throttle load up with trunk with some groceries and full tank of gas and hang on lol.

As mentioned by Mlee, from a roll at higher speeds, it drives very similar to stock. But from slower speed rolls, it hits harder and gets into the power band faster. From a 1st gear roll (under 25 mph - think that's where my car is tuned to drop to 1st) I get lots of wheel spin.
With the TC on, it has all kinds of issues trying to control things.

But from up around 50mph or so, its pretty similar to what it was like before the stall.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Mike,

Here you go... just what you need...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132984

So far the track shows open... even tho it rained like hell last night..
Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbusy06 View Post
SGO, I do have the FTI. I ran car with stock tires and with 12.12 at 113 and change. It was like rolling over ice from the dig. Put nittos on and now I have to have tranny tuned. So, before I have car retuned for converter/tires/nitros, I rather do all at one time. I still have the AFM on and it is driving me crazy with the addition of Magna 16483. I am leaning towards a 2600 restall, which should give me the best of both worlds. Note, I cut a 1.67 60ft with 3200 and nitto DRs on stock wheels. So the 3200 works at the track.
Greg will restall free. Just give him ALL the details so he gets it right...he needs as much as possible. Every FTI is custom built to order.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbusy06 View Post

Definately need a tune with the 3200 to get the shift points, etc working properly. 1.67 is great. I can only hope to pull that off. I think it will depend on the track prep (if there is any?). As mentioned on the street, my 555R Drag Radials don't help at all.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Definately need a tune with the 3200 to get the shift points, etc working properly. 1.67 is great. I can only hope to pull that off. I think it will depend on the track prep (if there is any?). As mentioned on the street, my 555R Drag Radials don't help at all.
Just got my DRs on 10 min ago and did my first burnout... HUGE help with the TC... I used to have to let up on the gas for it to go anywhere at all. I did still lose a lot of traction, but the car really took off in the process..

Track is open so I'll be there shortly..
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
SGOS252382

Quote:
Just got my DRs on 10 min ago and did my first burnout... HUGE help with the TC... I used to have to let up on the gas for it to go anywhere at all. I did still lose a lot of traction, but the car really took off in the process..

Track is open so I'll be there shortly..
Good luck. The DA should be great in S.E. Texas.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
So what is the lowest mph roll you think the car will do without some spinning but not enough to feel as if you are sitting still? Is there anyway on the street to take off without roasting( I mean if you dont just punch it and roll into it?)
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Nitto 555R@25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Good luck. The DA should be great in S.E. Texas.
DA was +55, but had a pretty stiff crosswind.

1.91 was my best 60'... and did it using Comp mode. I only got 3 full runs in before they told me I had to have a helmet.. 12.50 at 112 - So I just did some 1/8 mile runs and worked on the launch with everything turned off.

With the TC the best launches came from holding at 2500 or 3k at the line. Romping on it from idle RPMs just flashes too fast and causes a lot of spin. Need to figure out how to roll into it a bit. Will take practice.

I matched up w/ 02Pewtersixwho is #4 on the Bone Stock fast list. He pulled off a 11.99 and should place right with you on the bolt on list.

Quote:
So what is the lowest mph roll you think the car will do without some spinning but not enough to feel as if you are sitting still? Is there anyway on the street to take off without roasting( I mean if you dont just punch it and roll into it?)
Maybe 35... pretty hard to figure that one out since it's rare to romp it on the street. Traction control does help and rolling into it works but that takes practice to get it just right.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Duke

Drives: Red SS/RS
After going to the track today, I'm not sure if my next mod is a torque converter or drag radials. Traction was hard to come by on the Pirelli's, but when I did get it (with traction control on) I ran a 12.6.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #21
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Back on topic... I'm thinking the spray has to be cut on at a designated MPH so you don't just blow your tires up at the line w/ a TC... I know mine will be set up to cut off at shift points and back on after the shift... just not sure about the launch setup works...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #22
Gbusy06
Tap Out

Wow!! a 1.91. My avg. 60 ft was around 1.87 with stockers. I stall up to 1k-1200 and it hooks. With the nittos and converter, stall to 1200 and punch it. The track was sticky though. On stockers with converter, I was still in the 1.90s but it was like skating on the launch. I cut a 1.75 & ran 12.12 with converter and stockers. I cut a 1.67 with nittos and converter, and ran 12.30. DA was a little different but the tranny was off. This car will run 11s if DA and shift points are right. Since I am not going with a cam, I will have converter restalled and add nitros. Thanks for the feedback my fellow members.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #23
Stic It
SIP

Drives: 2011 1SS, L99, A6 , Silver Ice
Quote:
After going to the track today, I'm not sure if my next mod is a torque converter or drag radials. Traction was hard to come by on the Pirelli's, but when I did get it (with traction control on) I ran a 12.6.
What was your PSI on the tires Duke ?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #24
Stic It
SIP

Drives: 2011 1SS, L99, A6 , Silver Ice
Question

Quote:

1.91 was my best 60'... and did it using Comp mode. I only got 3 full runs in before they told me I had to have a helmet.. 12.50 at 112 - So I just did some 1/8 mile runs and worked on the launch with everything turned off.

With the TC the best launches came from holding at 2500 or 3k at the line. Romping on it from idle RPMs just flashes too fast and causes a lot of spin. Need to figure out how to roll into it a bit. Will take practice.

I matched up w/ 02Pewtersixwho is #4 on the Bone Stock fast list. He pulled off a 11.99 and should place right with you on the bolt on list.

Maybe 35... pretty hard to figure that one out since it's rare to romp it on the street. Traction control does help and rolling into it works but that takes practice to get it just right.
Are you spraying right out of the hole ?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #25
SGOS252382

Quote:

Track prep probably wasn't that great. If you can get your tires to hook, you should be down in the 1.6x sec range. But getting the tires to hook is going to be hard without excellent track prep.
I've tried rolling into the gas from a dig (on the street) but its really hard with the converter. As soon as I get to about 1/2 throttle the rpms jump to 3200+ and the tires start to let go.

With warmer weather, I think it will be a little easier to hook up.