Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Dealer Price Question to all

Ok, I'm new and I'll be honest in saying I don't know if we can (or rather are allowed) to ask questions such as this but I'll give it a shot and come what may.

As experienced car (camaro!) buyers I do value everyone's opinion/thoughts. I'm about to head out of college so I figured this would be a good graduation present for myself. Also, this is my first time to buy a car and after some haggling, walking out, etc. etc. here's where the dealer and I stand:

• Dealer trade (they're trading a diesel truck for this car) where they *say* they're only making $100 NET off of this deal.
  • Out The Door Price - 34,037.63
    • After trade-in
    • After TT&L
    • There has been no mention of the $500 'bring-back' deal
    • I have not mentioned USAA discount
  • I am financing through the dealer
  • Payments are going to be as close to $500 as I can make them (this is dependent on the down payment)
  • Silver w/ Black Stripes RS/2SS 6M
  • *interior color is still unknown to the dealer and myself *
    • If it's not black deals off...
  • No other options (GFX, sunroof, etc.)
  • Chevy's website has the MSRP at 36,265

I'm not asking everyone if I should buy the car, there are too many situational variables to be considered. What I am asking: does this seem to be a reasonable/good price for the car based on everyone's experience?

Thanks!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
rallyyellow
The Politician

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS: IM BEE
Send a message via AIM to rallyyellow
  • Dealer trade (they're trading a diesel truck for this car) where they *say* they're only making $100 NET off of this deal. ---
  • Out The Door Price - 34,037.63 --- What are you trading in and how much are they giving you??
    • After trade-in
    • After TT&L
    • There has been no mention of the $500 'bring-back' deal --- tell them about it.
    • I have not mentioned USAA discount --- Tell them about this, too. Also, try to get supplier pricing through a credit union. Joining most CU takes only $5 to open an account.
  • I am financing through the dealer --- Try financing OUTSIDE the dealership first. You're more likely to get a lower rate outside of the dealers network. With a check in hand from another bank, they can work *wonders* to get your business.
  • Payments are going to be as close to $500 as I can make them (this is dependent on the down payment) --- So that means you're going to put down $5k plus TT&L (depending on rate, this may be higer or lower)
  • Silver w/ Black Stripes RS/2SS 6M
  • *interior color is still unknown to the dealer and myself *
    • If it's not black deals off...
  • No other options (GFX, sunroof, etc.)
  • Chevy's website has the MSRP at 36,265

I'm not asking everyone if I should buy the car, there are too many situational variables to be considered. What I am asking: does this seem to be a reasonable/good price for the car based on everyone's experience? --- This, to me, seems a little off. Of course, that depends on your credit, down payment, and trade in (on top of if the dealer is not going to try and rip you off somewhere down the line)

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
TommyTSquared

I'll be a bit more specific this time!

The 34037.63 is the final total. TTL has been added into this already, as has my trade in (2002 Chevy C1500 @ $4000).
I have used our local CU (I'm doing this with my father as he has AMAZING credit) and the dealer is matching the CU's rate of 4.5%. With only 964.11 down I can make the payments of $525/month. I would need to put 2539.01 down to make an even $500/month payment.

Another option I'm considering is selling my truck outright for a bit more money. This will cause the tax to be higher, but assuming the extra money covers the extra tax and then some, this seems like a better option.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Actually we get rates lower from outside banks, because they offer US a lower rate than what they offer YOU...We can then give YOU a rate cheaper than the bank would give you directly. But that's just us.

You get a rate quote from a dealer, tell them you want it 1% less or you'll think about it...funny thing is, you more than likely will get it. Or quote your banks rate and tell them to beat it.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
rallyyellow
The Politician

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS: IM BEE
Send a message via AIM to rallyyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I'll be a bit more specific this time!

The 34037.63 is the final total. TTL has been added into this already, as has my trade in (2002 Chevy C1500 @ $4000).
I have used our local CU (I'm doing this with my father as he has AMAZING credit) and the dealer is matching the CU's rate of 4.5%. With only 964.11 down I can make the payments of $525/month. I would need to put 2539.01 down to make an even $500/month payment.

Another option I'm considering is selling my truck outright for a bit more money. This will cause the tax to be higher, but assuming the extra money covers the extra tax and then some, this seems like a better option.
My math puts your $525 figure at 72 months. I would try to get the CU, USAA, and 60 day discount. That would knock off about 2k off your price.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
TommyTSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyyellow View Post
My math puts your $525 figure at 72 months. I would try to get the CU, USAA, and 60 day discount. That would knock off about 2k off your price.
SWEET! I'm already a member of a credit union so I've got that covered. And like I said there's been no mention (from them or myself) about the $500 bring back discount, and I plan on joining USAA for the day or whatever is needed to get that. Here is something I'm worried about though:
Right now we're sitting at 34,037.63, can I just present the discount information and expect them to knock off the discount amount from this price or will we start from square one again?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
TommyTSquared

Called and mentioned the supplier pricing, and $500 bring-back. I was told that the $500 was already in the calculations, and that "we aren't doing the supplier pricing on camaros". I asked if it was just the dealership or chevy (knowing it isn't chevy) and after talking to the manager "we're already giving you a helluva price blah blah" finally spit it out that it was the dealer. Time to go talk to them in person again and get this straight.

Also, turns out the guy that was helping me originally is on vacation now in New York. Lame.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I was offered either supplier pricing or invoice pricing (which ever was cheaper). That is up the dealer. Some dealers are still swindling people on Camaros because some have been willing to pay more than sticker.

I went to 2 separate dealers to get them to give me competing prices. I drove back and forth a few times. I ended up getting my car for $700 below invoice.

That dealer can give you a better deal if he wants to. If I were you, I'd find another dealer.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
2010Bill

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I was offered either supplier pricing or invoice pricing (which ever was cheaper). That is up the dealer. Some dealers are still swindling people on Camaros because some have been willing to pay more than sticker.

I went to 2 separate dealers to get them to give me competing prices. I drove back and forth a few times. I ended up getting my car for $700 below invoice.

That dealer can give you a better deal if he wants to. If I were you, I'd find another dealer.

Good luck to you.
what she said !!!.........
2010Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Ok wait.. You need to let the dealer know if you are going for the supplier pricing offered by the CU. That changes the entire deal. If the dealer is willing to trade a diesel, which they will make alot more money off of than selling you your Camaro, you can be atleast be upfront with them. A 2500 has a hell of alot more mark-up and a hell of alot more holdback than a Camaro. If they are really at $100 over net, then you trying to get the supplier pricing changes the entire profit structure for the dealer, and they would probably end up losing money and not doing deal. You can ask any dealer here, the would gladly trade a Camaro for a 2500 HD diesel, because they make more money off the diesel. As far as the USAA discount thats a rebate so won't effect the dealers profit.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
commander67

Drives: 99 explorer
Exclamation USAA Discount

I have to agree with JRboyd, be upfront and honest with them when you walk in the door about all the discounts you want to use. The USAA discount applies to participating dealers. And even if they are USAA participating dealers they may not want to honor the discount. That is what happened to me in Kansas City. I told the dealer that I want to use my USAA discount and he said that he can't because that if he applied the $750.00discount to a 2LT (29886.00) he, and I quote " Would only make about $100.00 dollars off the deal" Then I went to a local dealer here in Wichita KS. Davis Moore Chevrolet. He said that he would honor USAA even though he is not a participating dealer, he would also honor the military discount and the $500.00 60 day waiver discount. So instead of wasting everyone's time be upfront with the dealer and assume nothing, Good Luck
commander67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
The dealer won't lose money if takes the USAA rebate.
Dealers will lose money if they do supplier but most are starting to.
What I am talking about, is if your dealer is honest, and are only making 100 off net, which I have seen dealers do recently, and then you try to throw in supplier pricing on them, chances are they will not have the money to do the dealer trade.

When a dealer does a dealer trade he loses hold back, and the dealer he trades with doesn't have to give the holdback that is on the vehicle traded for. If you have a dealer that is willing to trade a 2500 Diesel (markup + holdback you are looking at potential 7-8k profit for a dealer) for a Camaro (Markup+ holdback 2500-3000 profit) They are really trying to earn your business. Worst thing you can do is lie to them. I do sales, and personally never purposely lie to my customers. I geniunely try to help my customers as much as I can, and become a real friend. I have customers inviting me to Thanksgiving and Christmas with them, they remember MY birthday as I do theirs etc... Once I find out a customer is lying to me, I quit being a friend, and then become a sales person, still won't lie to them, but believe me, I will hold as much gross as I can, or I will just tell them I can't do business with them.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote